I hate it that... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
Linda on the move's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: basking in the sunshine
Posts: 10,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
We members aren't allowed to discuss certain things, such as how we feel about certain aspects of this site.

Constantly deleting threads is just ridiculous.
ian'smommaya and sophiekat like this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Linda on the move is online now  
#2 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 PM
 
jenniferlynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree.  And I don't understand the order not to start new threads about the possible changes coming to MDC (from the lay-off thread).  Why can't we discuss these things???

jenniferlynne is offline  
#3 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because we can't be allowed to discuss things like adults. We might have our own opinions! And disagree with people!

And then the website would crash and the world would end.
journeymom and sophiekat like this.
lilabet is offline  
#4 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 01:32 PM
 
Honey693's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just do not understand why they got locked and  poofed.  No one was name calling or being a jackass.  People just want questions answered and you'd think the mods would realise from the outcry that the answers being given are not sufficient.


obstruct livery vehicles

Honey693 is offline  
#5 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 01:49 PM
 
One_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Maybe they don't want threads around that scare advertisers who contribute money that keeps the site alive. Rumors can easily turn into reality if advertising tanks. There is a question section where questions and suggestions get answered by a moderator and discussion is allowed. I have used it a couple times and liked the feedback.
One_Girl is offline  
#6 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
 
Honey693's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

Maybe they don't want threads around that scare advertisers who contribute money that keeps the site alive. Rumors can easily turn into reality if advertising tanks. There is a question section where questions and suggestions get answered by a moderator and discussion is allowed. I have used it a couple times and liked the feedback.

i don't see how it would scare advertisers if MDC gave sufficient answers.


obstruct livery vehicles

Honey693 is offline  
#7 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Administrator
 
adinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 24,809
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Which part of Cynthia's answer was insufficient? She answered the question, and my answer would have been the same.

If we're discussing past issues, please, search the Q&S forum. Most things have been discussed there.

What would everyone like to discuss that hasn't been discussed at length?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

 

adinal is offline  
#8 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:35 PM
 
Honey693's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Aids denialism?  Magazine subscriptions issues?  


obstruct livery vehicles

Honey693 is offline  
#9 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Experts that lied about their qualifications? Threads disappearing after babies died?
lilabet is offline  
#10 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Administrator
 
adinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 24,809
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
There is a thread in which Peggy discussed the AIDS denialism. You can read that for further information. Beyond that, I have no further information.

The magazine folded nearly 2 years ago. There are multiple threads about it. At this point there is nothing that Cynthia or I could change about what happened and how.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

 

adinal is offline  
#11 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Link please?
lilabet is offline  
#12 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Administrator
 
adinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 24,809
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Information about other members/people is not something to be discussed on the open forums. Which holds for all members, experts or otherwise. I wouldn't discuss someone demanding to know information about you on the open forums either.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

 

adinal is offline  
#13 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 PM
 
Imakcerka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

No it's all been discussed here I promise.  However it's the apparent one and done crap that annoys me.  Should we take to pm or leave altogether and go somewhere else to discuss it.  Yes, we should just all leave.  That would solve the issue.

Imakcerka is offline  
#14 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Administrator
 
adinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 24,809
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabet View Post

Link please?

I'm nursing a baby and responding with one hand on my phone, I can't grab that fir you right now.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

 

adinal is offline  
#15 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm talking about threads that went poof, that evidence exists for. Not private stuff discussed in PMs.
lilabet is offline  
#16 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Administrator
 
adinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 24,809
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

No it's all been discussed here I promise.  However it's the apparent one and done crap that annoys me.  Should we take to pm or leave altogether and go somewhere else to discuss it.  Yes, we should just all leave.  That would solve the issue.
Didn't say that. Anywhere.

The answer to the laying off/Mothering folding question was a simple one. I don't know how to make it more in depth for you. We're aware of decreased traffic, just like you all are. Answer is still simple: Mothering isn't closing, we haven't been laid off.

As for the other things, the magazine was hardly one and done. And I can't speak for Peggy regarding the AIDS stuff, so I have no info to give.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

 

adinal is offline  
#17 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would be good not to lock or delete this thread. We don't get why you moderators never want to discuss anything on the boards. It makes it seem like you have something to hide.
journeymom likes this.
lilabet is offline  
#18 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Administrator
 
adinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 24,809
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabet View Post

I'm talking about threads that went poof, that evidence exists for. Not private stuff discussed in PMs.
And those threads are about people. Poofing happens for a multitude of reasons. Sometimes privacy, sometimes legal, sometimes UAVs. I don't know which threads you are referring to, but just because you demand answers doesn't mean you are entitled to them when they concern other members.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

 

adinal is offline  
#19 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM
 
WildKingdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing.
WildKingdom is offline  
#20 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Administrator
 
adinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 24,809
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabet View Post

It would be good not to lock or delete this thread. We don't get why you moderators never want to discuss anything on the boards. It makes it seem like you have something to hide.
Could be because no answer is good enough and people get nasty. Could be because people won't take an answer as honest and make crazy ass conjecture. Could be because it concerns someone else and isn't appropriate.
One_Girl likes this.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

 

adinal is offline  
#21 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 04:10 PM
 
CatsCradle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, you guys are going to get shut down.  Backing off...hands in air...just the messenger.  Snark/laugh/snark.


"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
CatsCradle is offline  
#22 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
 
ladymeag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

Could be because no answer is good enough and people get nasty. Could be because people won't take an answer as honest and make crazy ass conjecture. Could be because it concerns someone else and isn't appropriate.


The thing is? When you, as a board/organization hold someone up as an expert? You do open yourselves up to questions about their qualifications and honesty about said qualifications. No one's asking for a campaign of slander, merely truthful answers to honest questions. Constantly shutting down honest questions about people you hold up as "experts" makes it hard to believe anything that is put forward - when someone asks for citations, they'd told to back off and that they're "not being productive." 

Yet, comparisons to the Holocaust for simple message boards interactions stand - unedited, unlocked.

It presents a certain attitude - one of unwelcoming closed-mindedness. Which I would imagine is not good for business.

Honey693 likes this.

Meaghan (29)  Torq's wife (34); Niall's SAHM (9/09); Rivka's birthmom (6/03)
ladymeag is offline  
#23 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 PM
 
Kaydove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

Aids denialism?  Magazine subscriptions issues?  

So glad I never ended buying a subscription, almost did right before it folded. I understand that I probably would have lost that money. Can we talk about that? Why weren't people reimbursed?

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Kaydove is offline  
#24 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I missed a lot overnight. Damn.

This place turned to shit.

TAXIMOM is crazy. Likening posters to Kristallnacht??? Really?? How does she not get banned for that kind of appalling behaviour?

It's not the first time her ugly obsession with the Nazis has spilled onto the board either.
lilabet is offline  
#25 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Administrator
 
cynthia mosher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Arabia!
Posts: 38,886
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

lilabet's attacking post and others who post to continually misrepresent the facts of past issues is exactly why we refuse to host, or end up closing or removing threads discussing all these matters. Your point is not to seek understanding and explanation of how things occurred that you ask about. Your point is to bash and insult and attack not only Mothering and its staff but also members in the Mothering community. Do you really expect us to just sit back and accept such behavior because we are afraid of you accusing us of shutting down discussion? We're not going to address your questions yet again or host them or continue your membership if you are showing that this is your primary purpose for coming here to post.  

 

This is ending here. If you have a sincere question that has not already been explained here in the forums can be sent to me or Adina, as we have already said repeatedly. 

 

And yes, I am closing the threads for obvious reasons. 

Chicharronita and Bokonon like this.

cynthia mosher is online now  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off