Do you do Christmas cards and/or update letters? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Just wondering how many do christmas cards, or update letters or both? Do you send them via snail mail or ecards online?

Seems that I send out more and more each year (as I get it more "together") and yet other's send them out less and less...

Also do you write a personal note in each or just use names? Do you add anything else?

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I do Christmas cards for a fairly small group of people - dh's parents, brothers and uncles/aunts in the US, plus my aunt and some cousins here. I also send one to my bff, who lives in the US. That's usually about it.

I put in a short note, but not a whole lot of writing. I don't do update letters, although I've been thinking about starting them. I know a lot of people seem to hate them, but I always like getting them.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM

We go back & forth, depending on finances & time. This year we can't swing the postage even if we did homemade cards, so we're skipping them. Other years I've sent them to everyone we know, or at times just close friends/family. Sometimes we just write our names, other times we write a short personal message (carpal tunnel has put a stop to that in recent years!) We've never done the update letter... or received one, for that matter, maybe it's just not common around here or something. We do include a photo of DS.

I'm not a fan of email/e-cards for Christmas... I don't know why, it just sits funny with me (both to send & to receive) even though I like them for other occasions. I do like receiving snail-mail cards but sometimes it seems silly/unnecessary when it's really impersonal. I love when there are short messages or photos. Just a card with a signature is fun for DS to open at least, but I'm not so into it. I would love to receive update letters from people we're close to but would feel weird reading one from a distant relative or something.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
We contribute to the Christmas letter my family sends. My parents, brother/SIL and is all have a segment. We then send that to some people as well as many of my friends know my parents and brother and are interested in their updates. We also send Christmas cards to some people. I try to avoid emails for Christmas.

We don't get many (any?) newsletters but I enjoy reading the ones mum and dad get from old family friends and our relatives. Some of their friends I haven't even met but all the letters have such a distinct personality. I'd really miss them if they stopped. So interesting to see what people consider worthwhile recording and sharing out of a whole year's activities and happenings.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We usually send out a photo card. The number of people we send a card to has grown quite a bit over the years -- we have our families, friends, coworkers, my bunco group, and neighbors, which came out to almost 70 cards this year, totally about $180 between printing and postage -- yikes! I feel a little Scroogish, but this year I'm actually keeping track of who we've sent a card to and who sends a card to us, and I might scratch some people off our sending list if we don't get one from them. 

I write a short note in the cards of the people we're closest to. There is a printed message that includes our names, which feels a bit impersonal to me, but I let it stand on its own in some of the cards. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM

I always do christmas cards, and every other year or so it includes (or is instead) a photo card.  I always write a short note, some people get slightly longer ones (this would be like 2-3 sentences, and not simply 'merry christmas', though sometimes it's relatively generic).  I did thin our list out a little a few years ago (when I ended up getting a lot of cards returned to me because people moved) - and have actually found our list to be shrinking over the years (I also had quite a few distant relatives/old family friends who have passed away in the past few years - and I always kinda loved sending them cards most of all) - its under 50 people, and was briefly just over 50 a year or two.

My dad always sends family letters and includes a few bits about us, I mostly get letters from other family members who like to do that and an old neighbor - I do really enjoy them, but we really don't do much interesting stuff that I think would make for an enjoyable letter.

Unrelated, but I have a vintage christmas card address book (adorable and so useful) where I'll keep track of who we get and send cards to.  So I take several years of sending or not getting cards into account when sitting down to doing cards - plus I can keep it with all the christmas card "stuff".

Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

My mom never sent out Christmas cards growing up, or thank you cards or really anything like that. Definitely no update letters. Unless she was doing this all behind our backs but as organized as she was, she was never THAT organized!

So for me it's been a learning curve. I never had the example so I've had to fumble my way through. 

I actually ordered and set out the CUTEST change of address cards when we moved. They had little characatures with all of us on it and our new address and then on the back they had directions to get to our new place and a little map. So when I was doing these I updated my address "book" (I use a recipe box, with letter dividers and index cards. Easily updateable!) and I think my Christmas cards this year rocked ;) I even found a photographer with a Christmas mini session special at the beginning of Nov. So I sent out a card, each with a short 2-3 sentence personal message in store bought cards, then added my DD1's school photo to those that usually want them, a family photo from the mini session and then I saw these "update" photo cards on Pinterest and I fell in love. They have pictures down the side and one large one on top and then it was originally a "Top ten list" but I just changed it to "highlights from the _____ family". I like the idea of a family update letter but without the acutal writing of one ;)

I sent out to 27 people this year. And I think that will probably be around the most I do. I added a few extra people this year but only put in the family photo. I do send a lot to family and some to my parents friends but they are like family as well :) 

I've only gotten two cards so far this year. One from my cousin with a short personalized note and she ALWAYS sends me a card ;) And one from a friend 5 houses away... Will be interesting to see how many more we get... I feel like it's getting to be a lost art, the written note, with email and facebook... 

Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM

I stopped sending out Christmas cards several years ago. I call or send personal messages via e-mail or Facebook to some people. We get less cards since we don't send any out but we still get a few.

I never did an update letter when I did do cards but would put a recent picture of dd in.

My mom always sent Christmas cards to everyone- cousins, friends from high school, people she worked with- and it was a huge effort but important to her. I think for most people she would just sign names but a few people got letters as well.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM

I send a photo card with a picture of the kids on it, and rarely write a personal note.  I keep in touch with the vast majority of people I send the cards to on Facebook anyway.  But I love getting cards of all kinds from others.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 PM

I try to do cards of some kind every year. This year I did a family photo card from Sam's Club, so it was $27 for 80 cards. I didn't write on them or put notes in the envelopes, just sent the photos. So far, people don't mind. I'll probably do this type of thing in years to come.

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

I think any card ESPECIALLY a picture card is great!

I did get one card that just had their families and our families names in a generic card... I was a little confused about that... But it's a cute card to display!

Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would like to do a photo card for our immediate family, but my kids are at that age where getting them to look at the camera is difficult, so nothing comes out great.  I am not interested in playing with Photoshop to get a good photo.  So, basically, I look for any excuse to avoid sending out a card.  shy.gif  I do hope to start sending out cards next year, but it will be to about 10-15 people/families at the most. 

User Tag List