Reveal your secret "granny" likes - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 50 Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like granny panties, too- just can't handle a wedgie anymore. My 16 yr old DD is a total granny, and always has been. Definitely not in the hipster sense: more in the so uncool it's endearing sense. She loves the Victorian nightgowns, wears cardigan sweaters all the time, warm or cool weather, and is frequently known to sport a shower cap or hairnet... She's also a great knitter and cat lover. It's very cute watching her grow up as a perpetual old lady. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

this is interesting. i cant wear granny panties. i did have some after my c-section and i guess i might still have a pair or two leftover from then. 

the thing is i am short that the panties almost reach my bra line. anything above my belly button and i feel suffocated. 

i have the same issue with pants. i always wear low waist. i had a pair of high waist dress pants, and i just could not be comfortable in them. 

beanma likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#33 of 50 Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Must google Ryan Gosling reading his Hey Girls!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#34 of 50 Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My long hair is always up in a bun, with pretty hairsticks or combs.  Does that count as a granny trait?

The thing I got from my own grandma is frugality. :) We can mend almost anything and find use for almost anything.  Although we don't really need to be so frugal, I enjoy having this habit.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (13 & 12)
#35 of 50 Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

My long hair is always up in a bun, with pretty hairsticks or combs.  Does that count as a granny trait?

not necessarily. depends on the bun and how you wear it. smile.gif what looks chic on one could totally look granny on the other. i know people like that - those who would make sack clothes appear chic. their messy hair would appear chic. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#36 of 50 Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 AM

I yell at the TV. I'm always cold. I love to knit and crochet. I love the PBS Agatha Christie mysteries. (Poriot, Miss Marple) smile.gif

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#37 of 50 Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

My grandmother wore pants, smoke, gambled, drank, and drove way too damn fast.  I enjoy all of those things as well... although the Benson and Hedges are on the back burner for a while. 

Oh... I like fruitcake.  Barmbrack, to be specific, and it's that time of year to make it!  eat.gif

I like the dog shows on TV.  I like the hounds. 

I wear sweaters in 80 degree weather.

The first thing people hear when stepping into my house is:  "Didja eat yet?" and so help me, if the answer is no, you will sit and you will eat.

I collect bunny figurines.  There are multiple bunnies in the front of my house, and dozens of bunnies on display in the dining room.  I love a bunny.

I complain about the quality of produce at the supermarket.

I'm sure there is more.

Hahaha are you me??? Everything on this list I do, down to the bunnies! Our babies were born in the year of the bunny according to the Chinese zodiac, you know.

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#38 of 50 Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store

I indulge a handful of my old fashioned likes, here!

I love underwear that comes up to my waist but the skinny jeans need something lower.. I guess I'll have to try a few pair of modern panties soon.
#39 of 50 Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

I don't know. I didn't really know my grandmothers so I couldn't say what they liked or if they really would have done things differently if they could.

I like wearing clothing actually appropriate for the weather or task and I imagine previous generations did that more than many people seem to do today.

I don't have a cell phone and don't want one.

AND I have a BIG rotary phonebag.gif

#40 of 50 Old 12-20-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

AND I have a BIG rotary phonebag.gif

ooooooooh i would LOVE one. i miss them. 

#41 of 50 Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 PM

I love.gif jazz straight ahead and adore a lot of old perfumes. I love china teacups, have fresh flowers regularly and take baths daily. smile.gif

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#42 of 50 Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 AM

I love this thread so much! heartbeat.gif

I love to embroider tea towels. I'm a gardener. I don't care what anyone says about turtlenecks, I love them. I like corny Christmas socks...and music. I love the Andrews Sisters. Butter Pecan is my favorite flavor of ice cream. I wear sweaters all year round. Big, cable knit ones. My house is so shabby chic it's not even funny. My own grandmother and I share clothes and decorating ideas.

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#43 of 50 Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store
I indulge a handful of my old fashioned likes, here!
I love underwear that comes up to my waist but the skinny jeans need something lower.. I guess I'll have to try a few pair of modern panties soon.

My family has always made pilgrimage to the Vermont Country Store in Weston on Columbus Day ever since I was born!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#44 of 50 Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyingViolet View Post

Hahaha are you me??? Everything on this list I do, down to the bunnies! Our babies were born in the year of the bunny according to the Chinese zodiac, you know.

I did know that, and I like it!  I sometimes call her "my little bunny rabbit". 

We may not be the very same person, but we are both clearly very awesome!  thumb.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#45 of 50 Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyingViolet View Post

I love to embroider tea towels. 

shyingViolet - is your avatar an embroidery you did?

i love lace and embroidery (not for me to do them, but someone elses work). i love handkerchiefs yikes.gif - not so much to use but to have a piece of beauty with me.

i dont usually like simple classic lines. i love flowing lines, almost clutter - where homes are concerned.  

#46 of 50 Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

shyingViolet - is your avatar an embroidery you did?

i love lace and embroidery (not for me to do them, but someone elses work). i love handkerchiefs yikes.gif - not so much to use but to have a piece of beauty with me.

i dont usually like simple classic lines. i love flowing lines, almost clutter - where homes are concerned.  

It's not, but I'm considering doing one like it! I love handkerchiefs, too. Although I have a chronic runny nose and they usually get used!

#47 of 50 Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 PM

I love this thread too. It's funny because dh is always making fun of my grandma sweaters. He says I dress just like his mother.

My secret granny likes:

-Cardigans/Knit sweaters and coats

-embroidery, knitting, sewing (although I'm just learning to do these things I've always wanted to)

-Mary Jane shoes/Keds

- PBS

-Gardening

I need lots of sleep and I take a multivitamin every day. I also have asthma so I carry my inhaler and allergy meds everywhere. I have wide flat feet so i need to wear flats/ orthopedic looking shoes...I'm only 27 but feel like such a granny and a nerd...lol

#48 of 50 Old 02-15-2013, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan411 View Post

-embroidery, knitting, sewing (although I'm just learning to do these things I've always wanted to)

-Mary Jane shoes/Keds

I can combine those two! Somewhere I have a knitting pattern for the most adorable MaryJane slippers for babies. I think it's in an Erica Knight or Zoe Mellor book of knitting patterns for babies and tots. Need to find an adult version, lol! 

#49 of 50 Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan411 View Post

-Mary Jane shoes/Keds

I can combine those two! Somewhere I have a knitting pattern for the most adorable MaryJane slippers for babies. I think it's in an Erica Knight or Zoe Mellor book of knitting patterns for babies and tots. Need to find an adult version, lol! 

Erica Knight definitely does one. I made several pairs when I was pregnant with my first daughter. You could probably enlarge them for adult feet :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#50 of 50 Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM

My mother (72) and I have several of the same pairs of shoes. I love an early bedtime!

I take probably 30-40 vitamin pills in a day.

I nearly always wear my hair in a bun.

I mostly closely identify with the Dowager Countess on Downton Abbey.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page