funeral costs and responsibility - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)

I was on another forum, and a women was ranting about the fact her grandfather died and they each had to pay out $1000 for the funeral. She was angry with her grandfather for not leaving  money or insurance to cover the burial.  I do not get the sense that anyone in her family had any money, not the grandfather, not the children, not the grandchildren…..

I did not comment (she was venting and grieving)…but I did not really understand the anger.  In my family of origin, it is expected that children pay for the funeral of elderly deceased parents.  No one complains about it - and while I am sure no one likes taking the financial hit - there is never this sense of anger floating around that they have to pay for a funeral and so-and-so should have had a policy.

My mother is on a fixed income.  I really do not expect her to spend what little extra money she has on life insurance or burial insurance.

So, lets keep it to elderly adults  (I think younger adults with children living at home are a different ball game).

Do you think it is the responsibility of all older adults to leave money of some sort for burial?  Does the answer depend on income level?  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Like a wedding, if a funeral is important to a person, they should make sure there is money in place for it to happen. 

I don't think it is the responsibility of the surviving family members of any age to foot the bill.  If their budget can afford it AND they want to throw a funeral, fine, but if it is a financial strain, I don't think they should be obiligated to pay/contribute towards it.

My family has comparison shopped for cremation services so obviously, we don't place value of spending money on the typical funeral expenses such as caskets, flowers, headstones, etc.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#3 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

I don't think it is the responsibility of the surviving family members to foot the bill.  If their budget can afford it AND they can agree on the level of spending, fine, but if it is a financial strain, I don't think they should be obiligated to pay/contribute towards it.

Hmmm….legally, I am not sure whose responsibility it is to foot the bill.

It is not the person who will be deceased, nor is it the families (as far as I know, neither legally have to have insurance for burial)….so I guess it is the states responsibility?

Morally, is a different story…...

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Like a wedding, if a funeral is important to a person, they should make sure there is money in place for it to happen. 

Missed this first go round…if a funeral is not important to a person, but it is to the surviving family, should the person be obligated to set aside money for it?

#5 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

It is not the person who will be deceased, nor is it the families (as far as I know, neither legally have to have insurance for burial)….so I guess it is the states responsibility?

I think the bill would be paid out of the estate.  

If there aren't any assets, I wonder what happens if no one steps up?  If the person passes at a hospital or nursing home and no one claims the body, I assume the state somehow ends up footing the bill for a simple resolution.  (I don't know how else to state it.)

Does social security provide some sort of death benefit? 

When my father passed away at home, my step-bro called around to a few places to inquire about costs and went with the least expensive.  This isn't nearly as uncaring as it sounds, my father was VERY clear about his wishes.  He did not want money spent on a funeral.  So if a person passes at home, someone is going to need to make the arrangements so I am guessing when they sign the contract, they then take on the responsibility to pay the bills.

Quote:

Missed this first go round…if a funeral is not important to a person, but it is to the surviving family, should the person be obligated to set aside money for it?

In my opinion, no.

Interesting topic.  I will be curious to read other opinions.

I have noticed many more death notices/obituraries are stating that the family requests donations to pay for the funeral. 

Yes, I read the notices - small town and am getting to the age where friends of grand parents and parents are passing away for frequently.

#6 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 AM

I agree with Caneel. Funerals are not really part of my family's culture. We would do a simple cremation and a very low key memorial gathering of some type but it just doesn't cost much money at all. I can't think of anyone in my family that expects a big extravagant production but if they would want that it would be up to them to arrange that ahead of time and to prepay. We've all talked for years about what a waste of money elaborate funerals are so it's not something anyone expects.I'm sad that the grandchild has this kind of bitterness and resentment instead of happy memories of their grandparent. Would you want
#7 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 AM

Wanted to add - I think pre-paid funerals were more common one, two or more generations ago.  I remember my DH's grandfather talking about how he prepaid both his and his wife's funerals back in the 60s.

I don't know anyone who had a prepaid funeral.  (I am in my early 40s)  Does anyone else?

#8 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think it's the responsible thing to do if you can.  It's great if you can. I don't think you are responsible to so, however. Hope that makes sense. Most people through out history haven't planned for and paid for their own funeral.  I'm with you, Kathy, I think family members pay for what they can and shouldn't pout.

I can see grumbling about having to shell out money for someone who hadn't been particularly friendly or loving throughout life. Or for someone who'd never been particularly responsible and leaves behind a string of messes.

However!  I do think that if you can then you should plan and pay for your funeral (casket and plot, etc.) I acknowledge that it's become something of an expectation for a certain level of society. It's like saving money for retirement or for disability.  Plan as best you can so that you pay your way throughout your life and aren't a burden on the next generation.

Either you pay for grandfather's funeral or you don't.  You're only hurting your living family members if you refuse to chip in.

Edited to add, I read to obits occasionally too. I've learned about several former teachers and my parents' friends' passing.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#9 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My grandparent generation all pre paid and knew exactly what they wanted (type of casket, plot, clothing, etc) Can't get my parents to sit down and discuss anything. Unless they say otherwise, they will get a simple cremation either funded from the estate or divided among the kids.

Due to all this I have talked to my dd. cremation and sit on a shelf for me!

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#10 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM

I cannot imagine complaining in public (or at all, really) about meeting the final wishes of an elder family member.  Should my own parents die with no arrangements made, I will do whatever I need to do in order to see their last wishes met and them sent over in style.  I also cannot imagine not making arrangements for myself when I am of an age where my own death is in the near future.  So I suppose that for us, the "responsibility" is shared equally. 

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#11 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

in this culture i think its the older person's responsibility to do something about it. or let wishes be known. 

i think the persons who have the expendable income should pay for the services. i think i would hate it if my mom spent what little of her income she gets on cremation expenses when i and others could easily foot the bill without hardship to us.

if both sides suffer financial hardship, then i think its the elders responsibility to look for at least a cheap option like donating the body to science which is free - if they have such a service where they are and the parameters are assessed.

i have issues with single no family elderly - who i guess expect their friends to pitch in after whatever is left over from the estate. sometimes hardly enough. they have never researched how much it is and dont bother to do anything about it. i know its hard, but one needs to be responsible about it.

all my elder family members have a cremation policy ready and paid up. 

social security does pay something, but its a v. piddly amount. 

i wonder how much is basic cremation cost? a couple of thousand? no idea. 

so what would be the cheapest method to 'dispose' of the body?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#12 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Either you pay for grandfather's funeral or you don't.  You're only hurting your living family members if you refuse to chip in.

Just as a point of discussion - what if the scale/expense of the funeral exceeds the grandchild's comfort level?  For example, what if Cousin John runs up a $20,000 bill for grandpa's funeral when a $5,000 funeral would have been good enough?  Ideally, the ones paying for the event would sit down and be in agreement but I suspect that doesn't always happen.

No surprise, I am not a fan of the funeral home industry.  Yes it is necessary but I think they prey on the emotions of the survivors, as it throwing a ton of money into a funeral will somehow "honor" the decreased or lessen the grief.  We were asked to pay for a funeral a couple of years back and I was shocked beyond belief by the cost.  This was a family of very modest means that spent more money then they could afford.  We did not contribute.  (It was not a family member)

#13 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:

There is a difference between after-death costs and funeral costs.  Burial/cremation costs are separate, as are the costs of an obituary in the paper and the extra death certificates that will be needed to settle an estate.  A funeral is the ceremony honoring the dead prior to burial.  A memorial is generally held after the burial, so no body is present. 

Nobody is LEGALLY obligated to pay for a funeral.  And, it is certainly not the obligation of the state!!  Many religions require/desire a funeral as a part of their culture.  

What do morals have to do with it?.  A dead person needs to be either buried, cremated or donated to science (I could never do this last thing, but many others do).  That's not morality, that's simple clean-up. 

The state (city/county) cover the costs for burial of indigent/unknowns, after a certain amount of time has passed and no next-of-kin are found.  Cemeteries generally provide generic plots in what used to be called "pauper's field," a special place on their grounds for these cases.  Often, these areas are not maintained to the same level as the rest of the landscape.  Many times, more than one body is placed in a single plot, in these cases (generally 2 per plot).  Generally, no marker is placed (budget-restrictive), but a record of plot location and an ID number is filed in their records (ie:  Jane Doe, coroner's case #, date, etc).  

For everyone else, there is no obligation to even have a funeral.  We don't "do" funerals in my family.  We find them creepy and so nobody has one.  However, burial/cremation is necessary (a ceremony to accompany it is not) and those do cost something.

If a funeral is NOT desired by the deceased (and, they made their feelings on this subject known to all), I think it is only right to respect their wishes.  Quite honestly, when they are dead, they are, so to speak, out of the argument when it comes to the desires of the survivors!

If a person desires a funeral, for themselves, then they should try to have a pre-need plan in place.  I realize not everyone can afford to do this.  So, reality check:  if you want a funeral but can't afford it, why should you obligate others to pay for your wishes??  Burial/cremation costs should be considered and you should try to spare anyone that expense, at the very least.

So, if those survivors want a funeral, then they are the ones that should pay for it.  And, they don't have to go overboard on the expenses!!!  A marker can be as simple or elaborate as wishes and checkbook allow.  Or, don't have any at all.  No rule says a marker has to exist!    

My wonderful Mom died in July.  She had already chosen to be cremated.  There was more than enough money to cover the costs associated with cremation.  Cremation came to under $1,000 (which included the cost of a cardboard cremation box).  We bought the 2 containers for her ashes on Amazon (around $150, total, for both).  The hole was already prepared (opening and closing cost, $200) in the same plot where my Dad is buried the plot was purchased many, many years ago).  We placed the urn in (well, dh had to, my arms weren't long enought to reach down that far), along with 4 roses (one from each dh, ds and myself, and then one in memory of Dad).  They covered the urn with dirt and that was that.  The other urn is in our living room, per ds's request.  We're having a wonderfully unique joint Mom-Dad marker made and it will be placed in the late Winter or early Spring.  The marker will cost around $2,000.  We don't mind spending the money on a marker, as that lasts, a funeral is for a few minutes.

When my fil dies, there will be no funeral, only a mass said.  Dh & I are worn-out on 10+ years of eldercare and couldn't stomach a funeral if we had to.  So, dh will have a mass said for his Dad and taht is that as far as ceremonies.  His Dad will be cremated and be in the same plot as cremated mil.  Marker is already in place, his date of death just needs to be added.

I thnk the best thing to do is to talk to a funeral director waaaaaaaaaay before this subject is crucial.  Do it when feelings are not an issue and a clear head can not be steered one way or another as far as costs/charges related to things.  We had a friend that was "talked into" a very expensive cremation casket for her Dad (she was actually told that to do it any other way was like using a cigar box to hold her Dad's remains prior to cremation!).  She paid a ridiculous amount only to have it burned up.  Had she discussed this earlier, or brought along someone with a clearer head when she visited the funeral home after her Dad died, she would have saved money that she really needed.  To pay for his funeral, she had to quit school for awhile, until her finances were topped-off again.  That is NOT how it should be!

#14 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 AM

My mom learned she had lung cancer and had half a year to live. She arranged to donate her body to the med school.  Her well-meaning hospice nurse convinced her to change her mind, thinking we, her adult kids, would be hurt or upset about it. Instead we were all a little ticked off about the change. But by the time we found out it just didn't seem ok to go through the hassle of trying to get Mom to change her mind.

No, I haven't made any plans for my own service, but we do have life insurance to pay for it.  We also don't have wills, and we should already.  Perhaps I'll specify that if I'm too old or used up to part out to people in need, I should be donated to science. 

I have a vague memory of having a conversation here at MDC about burial services, and someone had a link to a place that offers 'green' burials: buried in a forest setting without headstones, only wrapped, not in a casket.  That seems pretty cool, too.

#15 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just as a point of discussion - what if the scale/expense of the funeral exceeds the grandchild's comfort level?  For example, what if Cousin John runs up a $20,000 bill for grandpa's funeral when a $5,000 funeral would have been good enough?  Ideally, the ones paying for the event would sit down and be in agreement but I suspect that doesn't always happen.

I basically agree with this.  It is the responsibility of someone to pay for or arrange disposal of the body, and that is going to cost something.

However, if either the person or the family wants something beyond basic, then it is the responsibility of the person who wants the elaborate service to provide it.

Ex:  I will gladly pay for a basic service for my mom, but if she wants something beyond basic, she needs to ante up.  Likewise, if my mom did not care about a fancy service, but I did, it would be my job to ante up for a fancy service

#16 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I have a vague memory of having a conversation here at MDC about burial services, and someone had a link to a place that offers 'green' burials: buried in a forest setting without headstones, only wrapped, not in a casket.  That seems pretty cool, too.

Mother Earth News has an article a year or so ago about home burials.  It was interesting.

I think my dad's cremation was just under a $1,000.  I know we didn't opt for a casket.

#17 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:

My mom learned she had lung cancer and had half a year to live. She arranged to donate her body to the med school.  Her well-meaning hospice nurse convinced her to change her mind, thinking we, her adult kids, would be hurt or upset about it. Instead we were all a little ticked off about the change. But by the time we found out it just didn't seem ok to go through the hassle of trying to get Mom to change her mind.

No, I haven't made any plans for my own service, but we do have life insurance to pay for it.  We also don't have wills, and we should already.  Perhaps I'll specify that if I'm too old or used up to part out to people in need, I should be donated to science. 

I'm sorry for your loss.  But, I don't see the problem.  Your Mom changed her mind about donating her body to the med school.  What stopped you from following through on your Mom's original wishes after she died? 

Yes, please do make your will and wishes known NOW.  There is no telling what could happen to you tomorrow or the next day (or, even tonight).  Not trying to be morbid, but there are no guarantees as to how much time we have.  Making a will is very easy (there are even standard forms available online) and it only needs to be notarized to be valid.  But, the best thing is to look into your own state's laws, example:  do you know how to avoid probate in your state?  I've found the cost of an attorney well worth it when it comes to these types of legalities!!!   

#18 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)

My grandparents had prepaid funerals, grave sites, and headstones. They approached this the same way they did everything else in their lives -- very simply, shopping around, and doing it as they had the money.   Once they had everything set up, they would drive out and visit their grave together -- all the information was on the headstone except for the date of death.

It made it very easy for their children and grandchildren when they passed.

These were not people with a lot of money. They had 8th grade educations and worked blue collar jobs. They were just very responsible and organized and thoughtful of others.

My parents have some things set up, but not nearly to the degree that my grandparents did. They have pre-paid funeral expenses and grave sites, but no headstones. They've let me and my sister know where all the information is.

My DH and I have had made sure there is enough money set aside for final expenses should something happen to one of us. To me, that's just part of being an adult. We keep changing our minds about what we want to have done (cremation vs burial) so prepaying wouldn't make sense for us. It is something I can see us doing at some point to simplify things for our children. The loss of a parent is devastating. Most funerals and burials are planned in one day and I think it is a totally unreasonable thing to dump on one's children. (But I've helped plan 2 funerals and burials --- it's very, very stressful)

Someone asked about social security, and there is a death benefit, but it is not enough to cover even a very cheap burial. Some cities have funeral homes that don't allow follows and instead, mourners donate the amount of money they would have spent on flowers to go toward the funeral expenses.

If no one wants to pay for burial, the body can be signed over for science or placed in a paupers grave.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_pauper%27s_grave

Unresolved medical expenses that the estate cannot cover are written off (so in a way, we all pay for them).

My grandparents taught me that funerals are for the living, as a way to help process grief. They are NOT for the person who died, who is dead and not getting anything out of it. Failing to provide the wherewithal for this is selfish.   I was a teen when my grandparents got all their stuff together and we would talk about it. They did it for their children. They didn't want to burden anyone.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#19 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

My grandparents taught me that funerals are for the living, as a way to help process grief. They are NOT for the person who died, who is dead and not getting anything out of it. 

I agree…therefore I think it is ultimately the grievers responsibility to pay for it.

I think it is nice for the person to prepay  if they can, make their wishes known, and if they have the where-withal, provide some money to cover the basics of body disposal.  I don't think it should be a societal expectation, though.

#20 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post

There is a difference between after-death costs and funeral costs. Burial/cremation costs are separate, as are the costs of an obituary in the paper and the extra death certificates that will be needed to settle an estate.  A funeral is the ceremony honoring the dead prior to burial.  A memorial is generally held after the burial, so no body is present. 

Nobody is LEGALLY obligated to pay for a funeral.  And, it is certainly not the obligation of the state!!  Many religions require/desire a funeral as a part of their culture.  

What do morals have to do with it? Who are you directing this question to?  Perhaps you don't intend it, but your tone -all caps, underlines, double explanation points- seems unnecessarily angry.   A dead person needs to be either buried, cremated or donated to science (I could never do this last thing, but many others do).  That's not morality, that's simple clean-up. 

Kathy, by 'morally' are you talking about the social obligation we have to each other?  Sorry, I know you said that was a different story. 

Quote:
- what if the scale/expense of the funeral exceeds the grandchild's comfort level?

Yeah, that can be tough. I don't think the grandchild is obligated to pay more than is reasonable. But I still think they should give some money. It might lead to an uncomfortable conversation, but that's life.  "Sorry Auntie, $1000 is too steep for my pocketbook, but I'm willing to provide $______."  And then the ball is back in the organizer's court. 

#21 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

I basically agree with this.  It is the responsibility of someone to pay for or arrange disposal of the body, and that is going to cost something.

However, if either the person or the family wants something beyond basic, then it is the responsibility of the person who wants the elaborate service to provide it.

Ex:  I will gladly pay for a basic service for my mom, but if she wants something beyond basic, she needs to ante up.  Likewise, if my mom did not care about a fancy service, but I did, it would be my job to ante up for a fancy service

I agree. I'm happy to split the cost of a basic cremation and simple marker or whatever, but if Cousin John decides to go all out and spend thousands of dollars without checking with me, I don't see why I would be obligated to split the bill and then never be allowed to complain about it. Because death is involved you're just supposed to fork over whatever amount of money someone tells you to, and shut up about it?

If there's a clear discussion and everyone is on board with the specifics of the service and the associated cost, fine, but the situation in the OP kind of sounds like the woman was just told, "Your share of Grandpa's funeral costs comes to $1,000." How many people were splitting up the cost? If it was only 3 or 4, then it makes sense, but if it was closer to 10 then the organizers should have made sure everyone was on board before making expensive choices. The OP is unclear, so maybe that did happen, who knows. But just because a situation is sensitive (because it involves death) doesn't mean that people can't be annoyed if they feel financially taken advantage of. I wouldn't go into debt to upgrade Grandpa's casket, sorry.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#22 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Kathy, by 'morally' are you talking about the social obligation we have to each other?  Sorry, I know you said that was a different story. 

By morally (or ethically, I get those confused sometimes!) I meant responsibility.  For me, responsibility is a big part of morals/ethics….

Legally, as far as I know, no one is on the hook for body disposal.  If the person does not make arrangements or leave any money, and the heirs refuse to pay for anything, I imagine the body will be buried in a paupers grave by the state.

If no one has any money at all, then that is ethical in my eyes.  

If the heirs have any money, or there is any money in the estate, then forcing the state to pay for body disposal seems a little unethical.

Someone has to pay for body disposal, I don't think it is ethical to leave in to the tax payers unless you have no other option.

Figuring out who is responsible for body disposal is the purpose of this thread.  

#23 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM

The more I think about it the more nuanced this becomes. smile.gif  I can see reasons for both sides.  I wouldn't want to fork over $1000 for a service that I think is simply wrong. But I do think we have an obligation to each other.  So maybe lobby to change the plans, or pay a token amount, for the sake of family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post

I'm sorry for your loss.  But, I don't see the problem.  Your Mom changed her mind about donating her body to the med school.  What stopped you from following through on your Mom's original wishes after she died?   

What stopped us from disregarding Mom's final directive?  Because of just that, she had changed her mind.  As I said,  it wasn't ok to hassle Mom to change her mind back. In the balance it wasn't important enough to do so. She was already in a lot of pain and emotional agony, and was starting to lose it to the morphine drip. There was our grieving father to consider. He wanted everything done according to his wife's wishes. She said she wanted to be cremated.  I will forever be disappointed, because I think being donated to science was a brilliant idea and fit perfectly with Mom's atheist, science oriented life philosophy.  But being cremated was perfectly acceptable, as well.  I would have been very uneasy going against Mom's clear directions after she died, especially since it cost me nothing either way. I won't pretend to know better.

It's not black and white.

I should clarify that I cannot see trying to get my dad to do anything other than what Mom directed us to do, even after the fact.  I wouldn't have that conversation with him.

#24 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'd say that pre-planning and pre-payment are preferable. If not pre-paid, then I think the survivors are entitled to alter the plans if they can't afford the deceased's wishes. If the costs are to be shared, then there should be consensus on the arrangements and it should be within each family member's financial comfort level. 

I've found that it is helpful if the funeral has been pre-planned and pre-paid. It's a kindness to the survivors if someone has expressed their wishes and made their  arrangements. Having said that, neither DH nor I have made any kind of plans ourselves although we do have relatively recent wills. Hm, as an aside, I just realized that they were done 5 years ago, so they should be updated. 

MIL has made all her arrangements. She is 90 and in good health but likes to be organized. They purchased a plot in a local cemetery back in the 1950's when DH's sister was buried there. FIL was buried there a few years ago. The funeral service might be a little more difficult to organize because their church is likely to close soon due to the shrinking size of the congregation. So pre-planning may not be a complete answer if the plans aren't updated when circumstances change.

My father died after struggling with cancer. Nothing had been pre-arranged. My mother, siblings and I agreed about everything but even so, it was a lot to deal with and it would have been easier if we didn't have to think about all of the choices - type of service, location of service, type of officiant, who would speak, what casket, what music, what flowers, what transportation, where to hold a post-service gathering, what kind of food, what kind of drink.....  It was exhausting, at an already exhausting time. 

ETA: I've certainly never felt angry that my father didn't make any arrangements. The kind of anger described in the OP seems misplaced to me. I think it speaks to having a responsible, organized, conscientious personality if someone has pre-planned and pre-paid. I wouldn't disparage someone for not doing it though. 

#25 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM

I haven't read all the responses yet. However I have a couple of thoughts.

1. I had a friend whose husband passed away when we were in out 20s. They had only been married about 6 months and were so poor they were living with her father at the time. He died in a car accident. She got something like a $50 death benefit from social security. She excepted that as the spouse it was her responsibility to pay but she ended up making small payments for a really long time and ended up getting a headstone at a later date. I was surprised that his parents didn't feel they should take on some of the responsibility for costs. I helped her plan it so I know that they didn't offer to help pay for any of it. The church donated all of their time for the service and luncheon afterward. However quite simply the preparation of the body and grave site were quite expensive. 

2. A small insurance policy that would be enough to cover a funeral (around 10k) is very inexpensive. I do think that if it at all possible people should have a minimal insurance policy for this. I have life insurance that will make sure my children are not left with debt and just a little bit to provide for them. However, I also have small (10k) policies on each of my children to cover funeral expenses if the worst were to every happen. I cannot imagine grieving and adding the stress of funeral expenses onto the tragedy. 

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#26 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 PM

hmmm you guys got me thinking. i have nothing stated. my estate comes to nothing except donations to the thrift store. i know i am not in the elderly range yet, but perhaps its something to think about. i should call and ask about donating to science. the cool thing about donating to science is later you do have the option of getting your ashes back. that i know will be important for dd.  

my dd has known since she was 4 what i want for a funeral. honestly i dont really care. however i know my dd does and i have to figure out a way to help her with the grief. she being the social person i think a rememberance party will be good for her. 

so i do have a casual funeral planned (i am assuming that is what it is called. not memorial service) the key is a bunch of friends at a friends house gathered to grieve with dd. it would be a potluck thing and i know my friends would do it for dd. maybe even a camping trip or hike. 

before the idea of me being dead became v. painful for dd we talked about what we'd like for my funeral/service. so she has always known my wishes and never has to second guess it. it comes into conversation once in a rare while esp. when we go to a service and like elements of it. 

dd has also expressed what she would like for her service <shudder> we both would like to be on the tower of silence with the birds eating us and then collecting the bones that fall below... but not sure if there is such a place anywhere in the US. http://socks-studio.com/2012/02/09/towers-of-silence-zoroastrian-architectures-for-the-ritual-of-death/

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#27 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

hmmm you guys got me thinking. i have nothing stated. my estate comes to nothing except donations to the thrift store. i know i am not in the elderly range yet, but perhaps its something to think about. i should call and ask about donating to science. the cool thing about donating to science is later you do have the option of getting your ashes back. that i know will be important for dd.  

Yeah, I googled donating my body to science because of this thread.  It is very doable where I live, and free, other than the cost of getting the body there, and you get the ashes when they are done.  

I really would not mind it if my body was donated to science, and then a memorial party was held afterwards or when the ashes were returned. 

#28 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Do you think it is the responsibility of all older adults to leave money of some sort for burial?  Does the answer depend on income level?  

I think if someone has a specific request for their remains/services then they should try to make arrangements as easy as possible for their survivors to accomadate- that could include insurance or pre-paid arrangements. I feel that if someone has not specified anything then it isn't terrible or irresponsible of them to not leave funding behind earmarked for a funeral.

When my mother died she did have insurance that covered funeral costs and my parents had bought plots at a cemetary when I was a young child. I do wish she had designated how to dispose of her things- even if she didn't want to have a formal will. She never really even said in conversation that she'd like Bob to have her stamp collection for example. I think it has been more stressful dealing with all her things rather than the funeral expenses.

I don't really care about a funeral for me as I'll be dead so I wouldn't leave a large fund for that purpose. I don't really care much what happens to my body at that point.  I told dh and dd I'd prefer to be cremated but obviously they can and should choose to do what seems right for them. I hope no one goes broke or feels angry with me over this issue when I die but it will be their issue not mine.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#29 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I googled donating my body to science because of this thread.  It is very doable where I live, and free, other than the cost of getting the body there, and you get the ashes when they are done.  

I really would not mind it if my body was donated to science, and then a memorial party was held afterwards or when the ashes were returned. 

kathy my xfil donated his body to science. it cost us not a penny - not even to get the body there. but you have to go through their paperwork process and have to be approved beforehand. he did it in his early 40s after his first heart attack, but he died at 86. 

so... now the memorial party has to happen right after the death. not a while later. most of my best friends are male. so they would need an outlet for their grief. which is why i have planned multiple parties depending on the situation and time frame to be done when its convenient to all. so i have a gathering for the women and a weekend camping trip for the men. i am not sure if i will have teh funds for the camping trip but i know a couple of my friends would be happy to organize and pay for it. 

dd adn a few friends of mine have talked about the disposal of my ashes. its a tradition we do for our pets too. our family dogs ashes today are in many different gardens all over the US. 

#30 of 45 Old 12-13-2012, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wrote into my will that I did not want one dollar spent on my corpse. So, I guess that puts me in the camp of "No; the funeral costs should not be the families' burden", but I have seen really creative fundraising for funerals and there are typically donations given at funerals...

I'll admit that lavish funerals really baffle me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page