S/O Does Your Child *Want* to Believe in Santa? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have viewed the "Santa-Free" thread a few times, and was wondering if there are any other mamas here whose children *want* to believe in Santa. When DD was little, we dabbled a bit with Santa, but this year, she has really taken a lot of interest in Santa, wanting to write letter, wanting to leave cookies/milk out, spreading her "Reindeer Food" in the yard, etc. I haven't *told* her to do these things, in fact, I feel like DF and I have started to drift away from the idea of Santa a bit, but DD is very excited.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 PM

Yup.  When DD was smaller we went the "Santa is more of a spirit than an actual person - a feeling of giving.  People turn into Santa to help you enjoy Christmas" route.  It didn't fly.  I think she was about 3 years old when I was trying to explain this and she just turned to me one day and said "Mama, I CHOOSE to believe in Santa."

We took the hint, and Santa visits our house in the entirely conventional way now.  It is admittedly more fun this way.  I'm all for Santa-free or whatever, but my kid had other ideas and I'm not hardcore enough to squelch her fun on principle.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 12-25-2012, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

dd loves anything magic. 

i didnt  really do any santa stuff. she questioned santa herself. but then her dad started doing santa stuff. and she loves doing that with him. 

so yes she does want to believe in santa and still at 10 does!!! or should i say acts as if she doesnt know. she does not want to acknowledge that santa is not 'real'.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 12-25-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post

I have viewed the "Santa-Free" thread a few times, and was wondering if there are any other mamas here whose children *want* to believe in Santa. When DD was little, we dabbled a bit with Santa, but this year, she has really taken a lot of interest in Santa, wanting to write letter, wanting to leave cookies/milk out, spreading her "Reindeer Food" in the yard, etc. I haven't *told* her to do these things, in fact, I feel like DF and I have started to drift away from the idea of Santa a bit, but DD is very excited.

I feel like I need an in-between Santa and no Santa thread.

We never made a big deal about Santa but did stocking and 1 gift from Santa. We never did photos with a mall Santa or faked footprints or told dd she had to be good to get gifts.

When dd was around 5 years old she decided Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny were scary- or not good enough. On her own, she came up with the idea that magical dogs would visit her. We went with her stories.

The Christmas Schnauzer would drive a truck and bring her gift.

The dog fairy would get her tooth. The dog was a golden retriever and would have wings and wear a pink tutu.

The Easter Beagle would leave a basket for her.

I think when dd was about 8 or 9 years old we talked about it and she didn't really want to pretend anymore. We decided that each of us would play Santa to another family member. Every year we get assigned a stocking to fill. On Christmas Eve before bed we fill the stockings. Dd gets a kick out of choosing items and filling the stocking.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 12-25-2012, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

actually let me clarify. 

for dd it isnt about santa. santa is just one part of the magic. 

its santa, fairies.... 

she is 10 now and seriously i feel she has known all her life but because she has such a fantastic time with her dad and a fantastic time with the magical world that she creates in her mind that she wants to prolong it. when she was 3 she created a magical world that lived in each crack and i had to be careful not to step on the cracks or i'd fall into the world. 

same with easter bunny. easter bunny has slipped up many a time, but dd is not ready to let the magic go yet. 

of course her favourite authors are tolkein, rawlings, bradbury and some of the other series that she so enjoys (not the cat series though).

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 12-25-2012, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Short answer, yes.  We have always done Santa as a fun story, fully aware that parents bring the presents, but this year the girls (6 and 8) wanted to pretend that Santa was real.  So, we pretend.  I don't regret not having "done" Santa when they were younger.  This way, they are full participants in the play, no deception, no attempts to fool or fake them out.  In a way, it seems even more magical.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post

I feel like I need an in-between Santa and no Santa thread.

We never made a big deal about Santa but did stocking and 1 gift from Santa. We never did photos with a mall Santa or faked footprints or told dd she had to be good to get gifts.
When dd was around 5 years old she decided Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny were scary- or not good enough. On her own, she came up with the idea that magical dogs would visit her. We went with her stories.
The Christmas Schnauzer would drive a truck and bring her gift.
The dog fairy would get her tooth. The dog was a golden retriever and would have wings and wear a pink tutu.
The Easter Beagle would leave a basket for her.

I think when dd was about 8 or 9 years old we talked about it and she didn't really want to pretend anymore. We decided that each of us would play Santa to another family member. Every year we get assigned a stocking to fill. On Christmas Eve before bed we fill the stockings. Dd gets a kick out of choosing items and filling the stocking.

HAA! Christmas Schnauzer! Easter Beagle! Too funny!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 PM

DH and I are torn about Santa. DH wants to do it but explain that's he isn't a person but the spirit of giving but young children are usually literal so I'm not sure if she'll grasp that concept for quite a while. I really really don't want her to find out Santa isn't real and think we lied to her. I also really really don't want her to grow up w/o magic and wonder! She's only 10 months so we have some time.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

Yup.  When DD was smaller we went the "Santa is more of a spirit than an actual person - a feeling of giving.  People turn into Santa to help you enjoy Christmas" route.  It didn't fly.  I think she was about 3 years old when I was trying to explain this and she just turned to me one day and said "Mama, I CHOOSE to believe in Santa."

We took the hint, and Santa visits our house in the entirely conventional way now.  It is admittedly more fun this way.  I'm all for Santa-free or whatever, but my kid had other ideas and I'm not hardcore enough to squelch her fun on principle.
yes we had almost this exact conversation today with my almost 4 y/o. he said "mom. he is real, silly!" ok fine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

DH and I are torn about Santa. DH wants to do it but explain that's he isn't a person but the spirit of giving but young children are usually literal so I'm not sure if she'll grasp that concept for quite a while. I really really don't want her to find out Santa isn't real and think we lied to her. I also really really don't want her to grow up w/o magic and wonder! She's only 10 months so we have some time.
yep i'd say just follow her lead!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 PM

Belated Merry Christmas!

User Tag List