Nemo, anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)

We're in New Hampshire and by no means getting the worst of it, but it's exciting enough.  I'm off to pick up DH from work shortly; his vehicle got totaled during a storm last month and we're trying to make do with one for the time being.  We just got new tires on my car three days ago, so I'm excited to use them.  DS1 is in Oregon and DS2 in California, so we'll be taking pictures before we dig out.

How's everyone else doing?

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ha for some reason when I read this thread a few hours ago, I didn't realize the storm was named Nemo! I thought you were talking about watching a movie so I was all headscratch.gif (I am clueless about movies, I just know there's one about Nemo). Then just now I realized Ohhhh she was talking about the blizzard!! So I came back lol.

We've gotten nearly a foot today so far. It's heavy snow. We shoveled (I say "we" but really I did about 2 shovelfuls before I got tired and had DH do the rest!) and played in the snow for about an hour and by the time we went inside everything we shoveled was already covered with a fresh 3" blanket, so it's picking up. Hard to see anything out there. Kids have been sledding down our street (we're on a hill) all day and it's making me panicky... cars can't stop quickly in the snow!!

I'm worried about losing power because I'm relying a lot on my computer to keep me sane. I have a lot going on emotionally right now & I desperately need the distraction. Sitting in the dark will destroy me this weekend! Otherwise, we're doing good here, DH is home and I'm glad it's the weekend so I don't have to worry about him at work. smile.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Grrr.  So, DBF, who thinks he's superman, had a half day of work for the storm.  He called me yesterday to tell me that, and I was like, "Yay!!!! DD is driving me nuts and I will have a helper tomorrow!!!!"  Then he came home in the evening and said he'd signed on to plow for someone else in the afternoon and wouldn't be home after all.  Grr.  I hate it when he gets my hopes up like that and then dashes them.  So today rolls around and in the early afternoon I talked to him and he said he had to wait until there was enough snow to plow and then he'd start plowing.  I tried to remind him that if there was enough snow to plow, it would not be so easy for him to drive the 20 miles or so back home after he was done.  He pooh-poohed me.  I called him again at 3 to tell him about the driving ban starting at 4.  Superman pooh-poohed me again, as though somehow the law does not apply to him.  Now I talked to him and he said he'd be home late.  I reminded him that the worst snow was starting at 8 so, um, how late was he planning?  And he would still be illegal, and what the heck was he thinking?????  And so now it seems that he will have to stay there until the morning, and I don't even know where he is!  And he'll be exhausted and no help with DD tomorrow.  GRRRR. 

Anyway, I like the snow part of things.  Just not the relationship drama :)

Men.  Humph.

#4 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM

Oh man newmamalizzy!!! hug.gif I am so sorry!! I'd be so upset. If he's plowing he's probably exempt from the driving ban but that's no use if the roads aren't safe or he's driving a regular car home. I hope he is safe and you keep your sanity dealing with DD all on your own!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I remember DH being called in to plow where he used to work.  Always at the stir-crazy part of a storm for the kids and me (one of them always seemed to be 3 1/2).

He texted me to pick him up at 2 this afternoon, so there I was . . . with a book just in case.  Good thing, too.  His flight Sunday got moved to Monday, and he needs to be where he's going Sunday.  Cue professional drama and time sink, until I finally asked him if he'd be able to do this from home.  He looked outside at the storm, did a double-take, and got us out of there.  So we're home in one piece and he's got a ticket on the train.

Wood stove is running, power still on, a few inches of snow on the ground, and the wind's picking up.  Hope everyone gets through this all right.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#6 of 11 Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

good luck everyone!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#7 of 11 Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM

Woke up with 2 ft of snow this AM! Last night was a little scary with crazy wins and blowing transformers everywhere, but at least we still have power! 

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#8 of 11 Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Northern New England, inland, so we lucked out with fluffy snow and no flooding.  Kept power, too, so all we've got to deal with is digging out.  That snow is DEEP.  I'm 5'3" and have been telling people I feel like a dachshund trying to do a St. Bernard's work.

#9 of 11 Old 02-10-2013, 04:18 PM

We got the heavy wet snow, I'd guess at least 2 feet here. We had a really scary ~48 hours since I last posted! We lost power just as the storm really hit (just after I posted here actually) and we had absolutely no heat source. Our stove is electric, we don't have camping equipment, no fireplace, nothing. By last night the power still hadn't been restored and we couldn't get out because our street hadn't been plowed. We walked all over the neighborhood with DS in a sled, hoping to find someone with heat or a shelter or something, with no luck. We ended up sleeping (or... not really sleeping) here all night since there was no other option. The house temp dropped to 40F. So, so freezing! As soon as it was morning and the street was plowed we dug ourselves out and drove to a friend's for the day. Power is back now, though the house isn't warm yet & I'm still a bit traumatized by my own helplessness/powerlessness!

#10 of 11 Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

^^^  Aww, crap, that's nerve-wracking!  I found myself looking around thinking we were sunk if we lost power.  It's so hard (and expensive) to set up for something like this.  Glad you guys are back online!

#11 of 11 Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

We got the heavy wet snow, I'd guess at least 2 feet here. We had a really scary ~48 hours since I last posted! We lost power just as the storm really hit (just after I posted here actually) and we had absolutely no heat source. Our stove is electric, we don't have camping equipment, no fireplace, nothing. By last night the power still hadn't been restored and we couldn't get out because our street hadn't been plowed. We walked all over the neighborhood with DS in a sled, hoping to find someone with heat or a shelter or something, with no luck. We ended up sleeping (or... not really sleeping) here all night since there was no other option. The house temp dropped to 40F. So, so freezing! As soon as it was morning and the street was plowed we dug ourselves out and drove to a friend's for the day. Power is back now, though the house isn't warm yet & I'm still a bit traumatized by my own helplessness/powerlessness!

Oh goodness, how stressful!!  We ended up getting all light fluffy stuff out here, so no real power loss in our area.  We lost power for a 4 days last year in that weird October storm, thought, and it was really hard, especially with a young child.  And that was WITH a fireplace and some access to a generator.  I'm glad you guys found a place to warm up and that you're back on track.  Hopefully the rain this week won't make the situation any worse where you are.  I know it can be tricky when it rains over wet snow like that. 

DBF, by the way, was so irritated with himself, and had SUCH an awful night plowing, that I couldn't stay annoyed at him.  He thwarted the driving ban and came home early Saturday morning.  Only took him an hour and a half to get here! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page