What is your favorite thing about your kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It could be  a physical feature, a personality feature. It could be something they did today or something they do all of the time. Just in this moment whats your favorite? You can post as many as you want.

My 15 month old just got a hair cut and he looks so much like  a little boy and less like  a baby.

He is starting to try and mimic counting on his fingers (we count on our fingers with shadow puppets at night) I love watching him make 2, and 3 and so on.

Man I am going to go kiss his little cheeks right now!

#2 of 26 Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

DS (22 months) can repeat most words now, so we get great delight in making him say vaguely inappropriate things. "Whis-key!" "Vam-PYRE." "Were'oolf." He pronounces "Stargate" as "Stargeek", which isn't far off the mark. And to my great delight, he refers to DD as "sister", not her name. "Hi sister!" It's ridiculously cute.

As for DD (very nearly 5), we were doing phonics work this morning and made the word B-O-B. DD looked confused and then said "Oh yes, I know! Like when it smashes and you have to get a new bob for the light!" Light bobs. Heh. We also made G-O-B, and she said "Oh, like when you gob up all your bread", meaning "gobble" (although, really, what DS does with his bread could be more accurately described as gobbing it up.)

I think I like my children best when they amuse me. Luckily, they do it a lot. :p DD is a precocious little smegger, which is annoying as often as it is endearing, but she comes out with some gems from time to time. The other day she was getting DS to repeat words, as we often do, and said solemnly "Can you say 'In October, vampires go to war'?" I was like "..."

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#3 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

The other day she was getting DS to repeat words, as we often do, and said solemnly "Can you say 'In October, vampires go to war'?" I was like "..."

A few days ago I told my 2.75yo that we had to go and get ready for something, can't remember what, and her response was "I just have to give dolly a drink of blood to help her grow up big and strong." shrug.gif *No* idea where that came from. We are not a vampirish family at all.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 AM

My 12 year old is amazing.  He's smart, funny, polite and genuinely nice.  Everyone loves that kid.

Dd is hilarious.  She's fiery and passionate.  She's vicious and stubborn when she feels she needs to be.  She's also the funniest person I've ever met and her heart is truly too big for her tiny body.  She's going to be an amazing woman someday.

#5 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

My 12 year old is amazing.  He's smart, funny, polite and genuinely nice.  Everyone loves that kid.

Dd is hilarious.  She's fiery and passionate.  She's vicious and stubborn when she feels she needs to be.  She's also the funniest person I've ever met and her heart is truly too big for her tiny body.  She's going to be an amazing woman someday.

Awe I love it!

#6 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I think I like my children best when they amuse me. Luckily, they do it a lot. :p DD is a precocious little smegger, which is annoying as often as it is endearing, but she comes out with some gems from time to time. The other day she was getting DS to repeat words, as we often do, and said solemnly "Can you say 'In October, vampires go to war'?" I was like "..."

HAHAHA. Too cute!

#7 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

A few days ago I told my 2.75yo that we had to go and get ready for something, can't remember what, and her response was "I just have to give dolly a drink of blood to help her grow up big and strong." shrug.gif *No* idea where that came from. We are not a vampirish family at all.

LOL! I can't wait to hear what my 15 month old has to say.

#8 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

How they can be so sensitive and caring sometimes...how their little old souls come through...

#9 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

ps. for eg, i just asked my soon to be 5yo  who recently went off gluten (one reason for it was that he was a sugar addict), i asked him what he wanted at his birthday party- he replied,  apples,  bananas and a bowel of cereal for everyone, instead of cake :-)

#10 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 12:49 PM

DS1 (19, almost 20): I like his total enthusiasm for life. He's incredibly well-adjusted (especially considering his childhood, and the way my ex completely dropped out of his life for ten years) and resilient, and he takes life in really big bites. I also love that he's interested in doing so many offbeat things (circus skills, acting, blacksmithing, glassblowing - he doesn't do that yet, but wants to, etc.), which is really just part of his overall enthusiasm. I don't know where he got it, but it's amazing.

DS2 (9, almost 10): It's a toss-up between her willingness to overcome her own shyness to learn new things, and her organizational ability. In the past few years, she's jumped headfirst into learning Tae Kwon Do, ballet, circus skills, ice skating (she wants to learn to figure skate), various art techniques, chess, everything she can discover about spidrs, etc. etc. (As an aside, I also love that she's so incredibly passionate about spiders, especially her beloved tarantulas, which she describes as "so beautiful, mama". I'm a total arachnaphobe, and she just awes me.) She's also got this very neat, tidy way about her - she can be very fastidious about her clothes, is very efficient at tidying up and organizing things, and jumps in to help us get out the door, without being asked. She's just...cool.

DS2 (7.5): He's very friendly and outgoing, and I just love the way he'll dive right in with new people, and considers everybody he plays with to be his friend. We went on a bowling date last week, and he met another kid, and played a game of table hockey...and told the family about playing with "my new friend - I didn't get his name". It's so very, very him. He's also almost completely incapable of holding a grudge, which is very sweet.

DD2 (3.5): She's really just a ray of sunshine. She's one of those kids who naturally has a very easy-going, upbeat personality. She goes along with things pretty easily and loves to laugh. She's also...I don't have the right words. She's just very engaging, and quirky. She makes me (and many others) smile just be coming into a room.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#11 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 PM

DD is almost 4 and a passionate, sensitive, strong willed sweetheart. Her memory astounds me. She has an incredible imagination and a deep sense of fairness. Her laugh is infectious. She is so observant. She challenges me every day to be a better person.

I also have 3.5 month twin boys. A is a cuddly bear who knows how to get his needs met. He loves playing "airplane" and seeing him cuddled up with his stuffed bunny makes my heart melt. He is such a 'new soul', the world confuses him a lot. B is a patient old soul with a smile that lights up the whole room. He is quite social and loves to tell me "stories" in his sweet little voice.
#12 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 PM

My ds is almost always either laughing or jumping or both. He is so sweet and open to new things. He calls me honey instead of mama. He can get completely absorbed in his task that he completes tasks that are above what he might normally do, but because he is able to concentrate, he is able to figure it out. And he shows me that he loves me.
#13 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

i totally admire my dd's courage to be her own person. 

she has tried many ways to fit in and finally accepts she wont really in many ways. i have seen her struggle with this all through her school life. 

so she no longer cribs over what to eat for lunch. the other day she took vietnamese veggie soup for lunch and actually encouraged her friends to try it before they started teasing her and a couple actually liked it and wants the recipe. that totally thrilled her.  today she took rice and borscht. dont know how things went.

she has a halle berry haircut and is the only girl in her elementary school with short hair. she had hair upto her waist. instead of being sad she now gets excited when 2nd graders  ask her if she is a boy or girl. 

she has no qualms about her clothes choice no matter what anybody says and many do say quite a lot of things. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#14 of 26 Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My favorite thing about my 17 year old is his strength and stubbornness.  Right now, things are rough between me and him- he currently hates me and can't wait 'til he turns 18 and moved out- but we've been through so much together, especially the last couple years before the baby was born and I found my boyfriend who has three kids, that sometimes I wonder at the fact that he's so young, yet he's been able to keep at it when most people would have given up.

My favorite thing about my 12 year old is she's everything I wish I could be, only she doesn't see it herself.  She's smart, she's pretty, she's got an awesome personality and nicely twisted sense of humor.  She's really got it all and she's one of those kids you know are gonna be something big someday.

My favorite thing about my 8 year old is he's so snuggly and naive in some ways, yet so adult beyond his years in other ways.  Not very many 8 year old boys I know will sit in their Daddy's lap and discuss what kind of engine used with what kind of whatever, whatever, whatever, plus torq and velocity will work great with this car on this type of road, yet you'd need a something, something, something totally different if you went at this speed on that road with that kind of incline... or something like that.

My favorite thing about my 5 year old is she's her own woman.  Granted, sometimes it's a pain in the butt... but when she wants something, she goes out and gets it and there's no stopping her.  She's learned to curb it a little, and I suspect that by the time she's an adult, she will have finessed that skill enough so she will literally have the world in her hands.

My favorite thing about my 2 year old is he's such a lovey-dovey little boy.  He'll tell me, "Careful, don't fall down", when I'm walking down the stairs, he'll cover me with a blanket if he thinks I look cold, when he has a snack, he''l take a bite, offer me a bite, then offer me a sip from his sippy cup, for good measure.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#15 of 26 Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackstone444 View Post

My favorite thing about my 17 year old is his strength and stubbornness.  Right now, things are rough between me and him- he currently hates me and can't wait 'til he turns 18 and moved out- but we've been through so much together, especially the last couple years before the baby was born and I found my boyfriend who has three kids, that sometimes I wonder at the fact that he's so young, yet he's been able to keep at it when most people would have given up.

My favorite thing about my 12 year old is she's everything I wish I could be, only she doesn't see it herself.  She's smart, she's pretty, she's got an awesome personality and nicely twisted sense of humor.  She's really got it all and she's one of those kids you know are gonna be something big someday.

My favorite thing about my 8 year old is he's so snuggly and naive in some ways, yet so adult beyond his years in other ways.  Not very many 8 year old boys I know will sit in their Daddy's lap and discuss what kind of engine used with what kind of whatever, whatever, whatever, plus torq and velocity will work great with this car on this type of road, yet you'd need a something, something, something totally different if you went at this speed on that road with that kind of incline... or something like that.

My favorite thing about my 5 year old is she's her own woman.  Granted, sometimes it's a pain in the butt... but when she wants something, she goes out and gets it and there's no stopping her.  She's learned to curb it a little, and I suspect that by the time she's an adult, she will have finessed that skill enough so she will literally have the world in her hands.

My favorite thing about my 2 year old is he's such a lovey-dovey little boy.  He'll tell me, "Careful, don't fall down", when I'm walking down the stairs, he'll cover me with a blanket if he thinks I look cold, when he has a snack, he''l take a bite, offer me a bite, then offer me a sip from his sippy cup, for good measure.

Aw! I love the way you describe them! I think its pretty normal for a 17 yearold to act that way. :)

#16 of 26 Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

i totally admire my dd's courage to be her own person. 

she has tried many ways to fit in and finally accepts she wont really in many ways. i have seen her struggle with this all through her school life. 

so she no longer cribs over what to eat for lunch. the other day she took vietnamese veggie soup for lunch and actually encouraged her friends to try it before they started teasing her and a couple actually liked it and wants the recipe. that totally thrilled her.  today she took rice and borscht. dont know how things went.

she has a halle berry haircut and is the only girl in her elementary school with short hair. she had hair upto her waist. instead of being sad she now gets excited when 2nd graders  ask her if she is a boy or girl. 

she has no qualms about her clothes choice no matter what anybody says and many do say quite a lot of things. 

Thats awesome that she can be so much her own person already. Its easy in those school years to be part of the crown. WE LOVE VIETNAMESE SOUP!

#17 of 26 Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacolleen View Post

DD is almost 4 and a passionate, sensitive, strong willed sweetheart. Her memory astounds me. She has an incredible imagination and a deep sense of fairness. Her laugh is infectious. She is so observant. She challenges me every day to be a better person.

I also have 3.5 month twin boys. A is a cuddly bear who knows how to get his needs met. He loves playing "airplane" and seeing him cuddled up with his stuffed bunny makes my heart melt. He is such a 'new soul', the world confuses him a lot. B is a patient old soul with a smile that lights up the whole room. He is quite social and loves to tell me "stories" in his sweet little voice.

I have a twin brother and we are worlds different. I love that deep sense of fairness. My youngest brother has that still at 20 and will not hesitate to stand up for someone.

#18 of 26 Old 03-14-2013, 05:13 AM

My favorite thing about my first born is love for hid dad, I see how amazed he his with his Papi and his teacher almost burst into tears at confrences telling me how much he talks about him. 

My favorite thing about my second child is that he is so smart and sweet yet and can pop some pretty cool kick boxing moves for a 4 year old!

My favorite thing about my daughter is our connection. I love it when she comes to my bed in the middle of the night and goes straight for my side. Or how she touches my arms or face for comfort.    She is very nurturing towards her baby brother and has beautiful big brown eyes.

My favorite thing about my baby boy is his smile, laugh, and his apetite. He is just too cute when he makes his faces or gets mad. he is only 5 months but he has a very unique personality. I'd do just about anything to make him smile and laugh which makes me look like a complete idiot at times. And he nurse like a champ day and night and is so chubby (wears 12 ands 18 month size clothes) which I am so proud of  after everything I went through with my last baby (my daughter). 

Thanks for this post, I'm def. comming back!!!

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#19 of 26 Old 03-14-2013, 05:52 AM

My son turned 4 a few months ago and I love how thoughtful and sweet he is.

We're expecting a baby in July and DS is very excited about his role as big brother. In fact, if someone asks him if he's looking forward to being a big brother, he will answer most indignantly, "I already *AM* a big brother!"

Recently DS brought up of the idea of sharing his room with baby brother. I replied that it's a definite possibility when the baby gets a bit older. DS sleeps on a trundle bed - alternating between sleeping on the top and bottom beds. Yesterday he asked me, "Do you think the top bed or the bottom bed is more comfortable?" I replied, "the top bed" as it has a slightly more expensive mattress. DS replied, "Oh, OK, then I'm going to sleep on the bottom bed and baby brother is going to sleep on the top bed, because I want baby brother to be the most comfortable."

#20 of 26 Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtapc90 View Post

My favorite thing about my first born is love for hid dad, I see how amazed he his with his Papi and his teacher almost burst into tears at confrences telling me how much he talks about him. 

My favorite thing about my second child is that he is so smart and sweet yet and can pop some pretty cool kick boxing moves for a 4 year old!

My favorite thing about my daughter is our connection. I love it when she comes to my bed in the middle of the night and goes straight for my side. Or how she touches my arms or face for comfort.    She is very nurturing towards her baby brother and has beautiful big brown eyes.

My favorite thing about my baby boy is his smile, laugh, and his apetite. He is just too cute when he makes his faces or gets mad. he is only 5 months but he has a very unique personality. I'd do just about anything to make him smile and laugh which makes me look like a complete idiot at times. And he nurse like a champ day and night and is so chubby (wears 12 ands 18 month size clothes) which I am so proud of  after everything I went through with my last baby (my daughter). 

Thanks for this post, I'm def. comming back!!!

Aw so sweet. I love how little baby personalities are so strong.
jtapc90 likes this.
#21 of 26 Old 03-14-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linn7799 View Post

My son turned 4 a few months ago and I love how thoughtful and sweet he is.

We're expecting a baby in July and DS is very excited about his role as big brother. In fact, if someone asks him if he's looking forward to being a big brother, he will answer most indignantly, "I already *AM* a big brother!"

Recently DS brought up of the idea of sharing his room with baby brother. I replied that it's a definite possibility when the baby gets a bit older. DS sleeps on a trundle bed - alternating between sleeping on the top and bottom beds. Yesterday he asked me, "Do you think the top bed or the bottom bed is more comfortable?" I replied, "the top bed" as it has a slightly more expensive mattress. DS replied, "Oh, OK, then I'm going to sleep on the bottom bed and baby brother is going to sleep on the top bed, because I want baby brother to be the most comfortable."

How thoughtful is he!? What a good big brother!
#22 of 26 Old 03-14-2013, 08:31 AM

Feeling like I know dd super well but never knowing exactly how she will react or what she will do. She surprises me.

How little dd cares about doing what everyone else does. How much she is not a copy of dh or me. How eclectic she can be in what she enjoys.  I think it is awesome that she is so much her own person with her own interests.

I love how animated she is when she tells stories or reads aloud.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#23 of 26 Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

Feeling like I know dd super well but never knowing exactly how she will react or what she will do. She surprises me.
How little dd cares about doing what everyone else does. How much she is not a copy of dh or me. How eclectic she can be in what she enjoys.  I think it is awesome that she is so much her own person with her own interests.
I love how animated she is when she tells stories or reads aloud.

How sweet! I love little kid hand gestures.
#24 of 26 Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

My mom was trying to get my 6-month-old to stop fussing a few weeks ago, so she wiggled her head from side to side and made noises at him. Ever since then, especially during diaper changes, he'll just randomly start wiggling his little head back and forth, then wait for you to do it, too. He will go back and forth with you for awhile, grinning. It's especially funny because he tends to wiggle half his body when he does it. Of course, it can get a little frustrating when he really gets going and I'm trying to change his diaper, but it's still pretty hilarious. He's started doing it while sitting up in the last few days, too. It looks like dancing.

And maybe this is silly, but I kind of love the way he cranes and arches to latch on when I lay him on the nursing pillow. It makes me a little teary-eyed to see how grown up and coordinated he's becoming - how he can go after what he wants (and usually get it), instead of just laying there waiting for my help.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**36***40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#25 of 26 Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
DS8: I love how kind-hearted he is. He has a gift of compassion, and has always been able to imagine himself in someone else's shoes. He's also very level headed, thoughtful, and sincere. He is going to make some lucky person an extraordinary partner one day.

DD4: I love her independent spirit and confidence. She's so secure in her place in the world, and moves through life inviting others to join her in her little niche in the sunshine. She also has a big streak of tenderness, and feels fierce, intense love for her friends and family, and we reciprocate that right back to her!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#26 of 26 Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 PM

My oldest DD is so kind, so thoughtful and compassionate, so positive, such a talented artist and so creative.  She really is a visionary and sees the world in a very unique way.

My youngest DD is hilarious and has a great sense of humor, she is quiet but very sassy and spunky when you get to know her.  She is very smart and is a natural caretaker.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page