Did you do the Easter bunny with your kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did you? Or do you plan to next year? I haven't done 'the bunny' or 'santa' or 'the tooth fairy' with my olders, but wondering this time around. Why do you or don't you? 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We don't do any of those things.  In the beginning, we did "santa."  If felt like lying & when dh & I discussed it, we determined that it *feels* like lying because it is lying.  All the rest are lying too & we work hard not to lie to our children, even when it's not easy &/or the truth isn't fun.  

One of these days, I'll figure out how to incorporate celebrations of real stuff into our lives: winter solstice, spring equinox, etc.  One of these days... winky.gif

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM

We intended not to do santa, easter bunny, etc. but as DS grew, he learned about these things from other kids and so desperately wanted to have the experiences.  He loves all things magical and make believe so I am not surprised the thought of a bunny that delivered treats would appeal to him.

I think he knows these things aren't real but he likes to pretend so we go along with it.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 PM

I've done all these things with three of my kids. They've all figured it out now, and I'm not even trying with dd2. It's just too difficult with all the other kids being in on it.

It's lying. There's really no way around it. It's the only time I lie to my kids (okay - have been guilty of claiming a "nap" or "getting dressed" when dh and I are...otherwise occupied), but I don't have a problem with it. I'm not sure why I don't, but I don't. Nobody in my family (eg. my siblings, nieces, nephews, etc.) has ever had a problem with it, though. I think that's part of it. I had no idea that some kids were really upset on finding out the truth until I came here to MDC. This conversation tends to flare up every Christmas, and sometimes at Easter.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

my situation is like caneel's. dd loves the magic so much. she does santa at her dad's house and easter bunny at mine and tooth fairy at both houses.

dd is 10. she KNOWS but wont admit it. i plan to never stop. she will get an easter basket till i cant put them together no more.

i love it too. to see if i got it right. however i dont do birthday presents. her bday present is her bday party but whenever i have any extra money we do something with it.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My family has always done the Easter Bunny and Santa. I switched to calling it a tradition a few years ago and my DD does know they aren't real but still likes to do it. I don't really think of it as lying and didn't feel lied to as a child so the strong feelings against it have always seemed strange to me.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Our Easter hunt tradition continues. 

My dc are 20 and almost-17 y.o. I thought I might fill small baskets for them this year but didn't get around to it. On Saturday, I asked DH to pick up a couple of chocolate bunnies for them as a treat. I thought we would just leave them at their plates at breakfast. DH told me that he had already picked up 2 bunnies and a large box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates. He hid them all and they had their hunt on Sunday - although it was almost afternoon by the time the sleepyhead young adults rolled out of bed  smile.gif.

Santa still brings them a stocking and gifts at Christmas too. 

Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

my kids don't mind all these weird stories as long as there's food involved (as in chocolates and sweets, and loads of them ...)

Old 04-03-2013, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We do the egg hunt and baskets.  I didn't grow up getting an Easter basket, so I get a huge kick out of making a basket for each kid.  Chocolate bunny and jelly beans, of course.  And this year each kid got a bottle of some funky soda and a package of mechanical pencils. Don't laugh, they love the pencils.  Ds got a box of gum shaped like an early Nintendo joy stick, dd got a great pair of earrings from Cost Plus for $5.

We do Christmas stockings and the tooth fairy, as well.  I don't think my kids felt betrayed or lied to when they figured out it's all a game.  Maybe I'm wrong. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

my kids don't mind all these weird stories as long as there's food involved (as in chocolates and sweets, and loads of them ...)

Right on.  I like the way your kids think. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yep, our house is simply lousy with magical beings that leave candy and toys.

We all enjoy it, but I have to say, with St. Patty's, Easter, and April Fool's all falling so close together this year, I'm a little worn out from all the mommy magic!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Tags
Holidays
User Tag List