Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
-i went to 4 different high schools
-overcame an eating disorder as a teenager that nearly took my life
-visited Tahiti
-almost drowned in the ocean as a toddler, my aunt saved me
-i'm clairvoyant and clairaudient
-i'm an unassisted birther
-have healed a tremendous amount of emotional pain and grown considerably because of it
-was a raw foodist for 2 years
-my hair was only a few centimeters long (buzz cut) for a few years
Neera likes this.

Mama to I (3/11) and pregnant again (3/20/13) love.gif

The richness of life cannot be sold nor bought. --me
#62 of 79 Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Delightedbutterfly: "
I've helped an Ostrich out of it's shell

- Eaten and enjoyed Ostrich meat"

Did the second immediately follow the first? winky.gif

Hahahahahaha! They may have been on the same trip lol but they were different beasts wink1.gif My aunt and Uncle owned and raised ostriches. The ostrich I helped "birth" didn't make it he wasn't strong enough greensad.gif

But I have eaten ostrich many ways, roasted, ground, jerkied! It's yummy and tastes like a rich beef smile.gif

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#63 of 79 Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Oh wow, we used to ride around in the backs of pickup trucks all the time as kids.  Well, not all the time, it made my mom nervous, but we did it plenty of times.  We loved it.

Oh, we did that, too. (I think most people with pickups did that when I was a kid.) This was a moving van - full size. We rode about two hours, out of town and on dirt roads. It was one of my biggest adventures as a kid.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#64 of 79 Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I haven't done a whole lot, but I've done a few things many people haven't.

- Joined the military at the age of 18.

- Learned to read and speak Arabic (though I've forgotten most of it and I was never fluent).

- Spent a week at The Farm in TN, studying midwifery with Ina May Gaskin herself.

- Been to a Star Trek convention. It was the 40th anniversary one in Chicago. I met Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner, Robert Picardo, and a bunch of others. DS got 2nd place in the junior division costume contest as a toddler and we spent the whole weekend hanging out with Barbara Luna. It was awesome.

- Spent a week in Italy. Not extremely unusual, but I did get to see a lot of stuff many people don't. I saw the David, the Birth of Venus, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and the Florence Duomo. It was the best week of my life.

Something cool that my son's done is being in a commercial. He's been in two actually. This is a local ad for the Star Trek convention. You can see DS 11 seconds in on the left. He was about a year and a half old and he's toddling around in his Starfleet uniform. This is the second one. DS is the little blonde boy that's sometimes wearing a green jacket. He had so much fun filming that one! He also auditioned for a Disney producer who said he did a great job, but they have a lot of kids his same demographic, so it didn't go any farther than the audition.

Neera likes this.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#65 of 79 Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM

I have played piano/organ/directed church choirs since I was 14 yrs old, with only a handful of organ lessons (read lots of books & practiced)

Caught my neighbor's 4th baby in the front seat of her Ford stationwagon in their driveway 2 weeks after my high school graduation.

Transported Paul Newman in my ambulance after he crashed during an SCCA race at Pocono International Raceway.  (He was so nice!)

Was on the cover of Parenting Magazine with my boys and won a home office makeover from them.  They came here and had a photo shoot and I even got a personal makeover as well.

Ran for town council at the ripe young age of 32 and won a seat - everyone else on the board was 50+ and male.  There have only been 3 councilwomen in the 100+ yrs of our town's existence.

Did all kinds of crazy jobs to pay for my college, but the two I was best at were car salesperson and exotic dancer.

At 38 years old, decided to take a class in velodrome bicycle riding and then did a race, which I won - my first-ever athletic trophy.

#66 of 79 Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 PM

these are really great posts! 

- in 2010 drove from NM through Mexico to Guatemala over 6 days by myself in an old Land Cruiser

- my DH and i communicate with each other in our 2nd languages

- had a thing with a lucha libre wrestler who was missing a finger

- don't use facebook

- 3 time hula hoop champion :)

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#67 of 79 Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Caught my neighbor's 4th baby in the front seat of her Ford stationwagon in their driveway 2 weeks after my high school graduation.

Ooh, I want to hear about that! Were you scared/grossed out/nervous, like I imagine most teenagers would be in such a situation?

Minkajane, your son is so cute in his Star Trek uniform! I made my son a Voyager command uniform variant - not out of any particular love for Voyager, it just worked with the fabric I had. :p (I mean, I'm not anti-Voyager, once it picks up, minus Janeway's Mom cut and the stupid Chakotay romance - the Holodoc has some awesome moments - but it's no DS9, y'know?) He wore it to a friend's "geek" themed 30th birthday party, and someone thought he was Luke Skywalker. *sigh*

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#68 of 79 Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

This is such a fun thread. I like reading people's post but I don't want to influence my answers so I will read the rest afterwards

1) Listened to heavy metal music the last couple years of high school

2) Lived in Costa Rica for 3 years.

3) Can identify edible plants of the San Gabriels in California.

4) Bachelors degree in Deaf Studies and had classes only in sign language. Grad school at UCLA degree in social justice.

5) I bellydance!!!!

6) Zipped lined across a rain forest.

7) Got food poisoned in Panama;-(

#69 of 79 Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I transcribed a Civil War diary for the state historical society.

Neera and bruebee like this.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#70 of 79 Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Minkajane, your son is so cute in his Star Trek uniform! I made my son a Voyager command uniform variant - not out of any particular love for Voyager, it just worked with the fabric I had. :p (I mean, I'm not anti-Voyager, once it picks up, minus Janeway's Mom cut and the stupid Chakotay romance - the Holodoc has some awesome moments - but it's no DS9, y'know?) He wore it to a friend's "geek" themed 30th birthday party, and someone thought he was Luke Skywalker. *sigh*

Thanks! For the costume contest part, we put a Bajoran nose and earring on him. And of course I have zero pictures! They're trapped in the desktop computer that died two years ago that I still haven't managed to crack open for the hard drive. He's 8 now and loves the fact that he was on TV. He's a Trekkie just like his mom. We love Voyager. And there's nothing wrong with a little Chakotay romance! orngtongue.gif

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#71 of 79 Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Pfft. Seven belonged with the Holodoc.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#72 of 79 Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Pfft. Seven belonged with the Holodoc.

I have to admit, I hated his trophy wife. That was a total cop-out.

#73 of 79 Old 04-25-2013, 03:29 AM

Studied for a Chinese test during "Break" at a Dead concert.

#74 of 79 Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Tried to be a "playground evangelist" in a public school before getting punished

I suffered from an accident at age nine that caused nerve damage in my right arm- well, I think, all I know it wasn't broken, but I was in pain for three weeks

I suffered from severe ADHD and Dyscalculia (math LD) which drove me to depression and slipping grades repeatedly- I also never took Calculus, I took Financial Algebra instead

Became severely allergic to peanuts suddenly when I was 15

Had bedroom in the attic of my house

Tried to shave my face when I was five because I was jealous that boys got to shave all the time

Raising three crazy girls in a loving home in IL. One notes.gif lil writer, bellyhair.gifActor (not belly dancer! Please!) and of course, our lil one says asl.gifgrouphug.gif "We're all in this together"... (high school musical-- EEP!).

#75 of 79 Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM

My life is pretty ordinary, but I have given birth on the sidewalk (with spectators to boot).

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#76 of 79 Old 05-21-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

My life is pretty ordinary, but I have given birth on the sidewalk (with spectators to boot).

That's nuts! Where is the birth story?

I once saved a girl and her mom that were floating down stream in a runaway canoe.

#77 of 79 Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 PM

I'll try to dig it up soon.. It's been 6.5 years now. :)

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#78 of 79 Old 05-31-2013, 04:14 PM

I was held at gunpoint in the Syrian desert once.  This was long before the civil war.  

I spent time in the Siwa Oasis in Egypt.  It was the most beautiful and amazing place I've ever seen.  

I've eaten squirrel.  Tastes like chicken.  Really.  

#79 of 79 Old 06-03-2013, 04:07 PM

Some of these posts are really hard to follow, but here are mine:

- When I lived with my parents I answered the phone one day and the voice on the other end said "This is such-and-such from the White House, can I speak with your father"

- I interned in the office of the former and now deceased president of the Czech Republic, Vaclav Havel, during which I: swam in his pool, drank beer from his private stash, was invited to his place in the countryside and on the way there his motorcade picked up 2 hitchhikers (his request), I bummed a cigarette from the first lady, lived in the castle and sneaked a boyfriend in, I climbed over the walls of said castle at midnight, had sex in said castle, flirted with the guards at said castle, I crashed an army general's birthday party with the president's head of security, saw places in the castle and cathedral that most people don't have access to

- I speak 4 languages

- I camped in the desert in Oman and rode on a camel

- I shook Stevie Wonder and Al Gore's hand (same day)

- I was in the same room with Jaromir Jagr for a couple of minutes (he's huge)

- I drank absinthe

- I eat snails every Christmas

- I witnessed a flood

- I hitchhiked with my cousin and was picked up by a guy in a convertible

- I've been on TV

- I hosted a college radio show

- I had an affair with a professor

- I walked on the Spiral Jetty

- I saw a herd of desert bighorn sheep on two occasions

- I have a poem written about me

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page