Pot... What do you think? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently tried MJ oil to help me sleep. Relatives and friends swear by it and it definitely helps. It helps me stay calm around the time the kids go to bed and helps me drift off to sleep easily. Also when I wake in the middle of the night I can easily drift back off again. That's about it though. It seems to be an excellent pain reliever too. I do not smoke it but was looking for a natural sleep aid, relaxant and it certainly does the job! Im bot using it to get high or anything. I don't understand why it's illegal. Makes me mad. Thoughts?
applejuice likes this.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#2 of 38 Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

I am not a smoker, or a consumer of pot.  I dislike the effects, but I am glad that WA state passed it's recent laws to decriminalize small quantities of pot.  I predict in 20 years this is going to be a non-issue.  I think it's a lot of effort on the part of law enforcement for nothing.  Or, would be nothing if it were legal.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 38 Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

It just irritates me that it's such an excellent remedy for so many things with few side effects but its illegal. I think it's safer to use than alcohol and alcohol is legal! What gives? Anyone else use it medicinally?
BeckyBird likes this.

#4 of 38 Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I watched this documentary  on PBS and was blown away by all the things that it can do.  Of course a couple of the things they talk about are things that affect me directly.  At this point, it's illegal, so I wouldn't use it, because I am married to a law enforcement officer.  If it was legal, I would definitely look into it further for health reasons.  To be honest, in college I tried it a few times, and I'd rather drink for recreational reasons! 

#5 of 38 Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM

I used it recreationally in college and It honestly didn't do much for me but I'm sure it was a lousy grade. I live in a state that has decriminalized it for adults.
I'd love to hear more about ingestion as I sleep like crap.
#6 of 38 Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM

If I could get cannabis pills from a legit pharmacy without needing a special permit, I'd probably try it for my sleep troubles. As it is, I'm going to try using a hormone pill that the FDA doesn't have much control over because a legal technicality allows it to be classified as a "supplement." Previously, I tried a prescription drug with a known tendency to cause hallucinations and drug-seeking behavior, but I stopped because it made me strongly consider suicide. I'm not sure why either of those things are considered a better idea than pot.

journeymom likes this.
#7 of 38 Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM

I'll never use pot again (negative assocations, because of my ex-husband), but I strongly support legalization. I think the war on drugs is an abject failure, and see no rational reason for it to even apply to pot in the first place.

applejuice likes this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 38 Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM

Except for the ex thing smile.gif ITA with storm bride. I think it can be a great thing for some medicinally, and fine for many recreationally. Someday, I think it will be decriminalized or legal in small amounts most places. Then it will be a non issue.

When you think of all the money that has been wasted on the "war on drugs" and all the revenue the gov't could be taking in by regulating legal MJ use with taxes. Sheesh, it makes me shake my head.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#9 of 38 Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I agree with Storm Bride too. I won't ever smoke it again (although I can't say I'd never use it in pill form if it was medically applicable), but it should absolutely be legal. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#10 of 38 Old 04-28-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

It's way different when you eat it. I eat the same amount each day and it doesn't really hit me until 2-3 hours after I ingest it. It is simply like taking a relaxant and pain pill and sleep aid all at once with no side effects except Great sleep! Pretty amazing stuff. I won't smoke it because when I did many years ago I felt paranoid and felt like my heart was pounding. I don't feel that way at al with ingesting it

#11 of 38 Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

It's way different when you eat it. I eat the same amount each day and it doesn't really hit me until 2-3 hours after I ingest it. It is simply like taking a relaxant and pain pill and sleep aid all at once with no side effects except Great sleep! Pretty amazing stuff. I won't smoke it because when I did many years ago I felt paranoid and felt like my heart was pounding. I don't feel that way at al with ingesting it

That's interesting, that ingesting it doesn't make you feel paranoid. I haven't smoked any, but I have a hunch I'd be the 'gets paranoid' type. Some day after the kids are out of the house, dh and I agree we'll give it a try. 

"I remember when Buzzfeed was just something I did in college around 2a.m."   Well okay then, Mr. President!  lol.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#12 of 38 Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 PM

I don't use it but I favor legalization, too. For me, the few times I tried it, it made me very hungry then super sleepy -- not my cuppa.

If alcohol, which has very negative effects for many people (causing deaths, injuries, violence), is legal, why shouldn't pot (whose worst effect is making you lazy and stupid) be legal. Life is hard and many people need and will find a way to relax quickly. I think many people would quit liquor if pot were legal. And the American culture would be a lot friendlier, less violent a s a result.

Plus, I think many people could lessen or get off all those big pharm drugs like antidepressants and opiates-- which can have neg side effects.

At this point, I seriously can't understand WHY it is illegal. Is it because alcohol and big pharm lobbyists are preventing it?? I feel like I am missing something.

I would like to see the pot trade taxed and put towards preschool through university education.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#13 of 38 Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 PM

I don't use it, but I would if it was legal. I have a phobia about illegal drugs being imported in someone's body cavities lol
I'm interested in how people go about eating it... How much do you eat? What part of the plant? Does it have to be fresh? Do you just eat it like lettuce?
#14 of 38 Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 AM

If it weren't illegal, it would likely be a positive part of my life, recreationally. I far prefer a smokeless option as an alternative to the common glass of wine during dinner, for instance. I really wish I could find some way to enjoy it without putting self and family in legal jeopardy. Alcohol is not something I enjoy, though I did very much, pre-kids. I am grossed out by my own breath and mentality after just one drink of alcohol. I could easily see myself enjoying a mellow cup of canabis or indica tea once I am home for the evening. Sounds blissful and restorative, not to mention the fun I would have with bedtime routine. smile.gif i am against smoking around kids, but not opposed to very moderate smoking of organic tobacco and/or weed away from their little noses. I would like to see moderate indulgence being less demonized in general. So many things are bad for us in various ways, but no one gets punished for feeding their kids happy meals on a regular basis. Why should I be perceived as evil and trashy for moderate use of tobacco or weed when it is used safely and responsibly?
#15 of 38 Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I wouldn't use it personally because I'd be worried about its appetite-stimulating effects. I'm sure I'd  benefit from being more relaxed and in less pain, but I also need to lose weight, and an herb that stimulates the appetite is probably NOT a good choice for me personally.

But I'm 100% in favor of it being legalized. The reasons for its prohibition are political, not based on science or public health.

applejuice likes this.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#16 of 38 Old 05-05-2013, 03:39 PM

Pot makes me feel like my throat is closing up and super paranoid.. Im not a regular consumer but in the past I discovered if I took a very small amount I was fine and liked the feeling. I also found that I went into cleaning mode when paired with alcohol.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#17 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

I don't get an appetite at all while using it. I get that from alcohol! I just want to hang out and go to bed shortly after it kicks in. A good thing for me since I'm a habitual night owl by nature.

#18 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

To eat it you have to turn it into pot butter. I use coconut oil.

#19 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know that self-medicating with illegal drugs isn't exactly what people mean when they say "medicinal use" but that's what I did, and I can't say I recommend it.

I have mild bipolar disorder, but before I knew that, I was using marijuana to get through the depressive periods. I would have called myself a recreational user then, but I know now what was really going on. As soon as the depression lifted, I'd stop using it an actually stopped enjoying it's effect. Then, I'd hit a rough patch and start using it again to just feel good, relax and get some sleep.

I was smoking it, and I definitely gained weight during those periods because it made me crave the worst sweets and heavy foods.

Also, I can't say I recommend it for depression because while it did make me feel better, it also made me lethargic and unproductive which sometimes fed back into why I felt bad in the first place.

I say all of this because I do think it's important to remember that just because it can't kill you and because it has some benefits, it isn't harmless.

I wish I had sought out real help instead of smoking through my struggles for so many years!!

ETA:

I still support legalization, medical use under the care of a licensed provided educated in MMJ, and recreational use in moderation. I can certainly attest to the fact that it wasn't addictive, and when legal, it is available in safer forms than raw plants for smoking, which is best for MMJ use.

I live in Colorado, and totally voted in support of all forms of legalization, support it's regulation, and will vote for the taxing of it this fall.

I am so lucky it's illegality never caught up with me when I was younger!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#20 of 38 Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Just skimming the other comments:

1) Pot never gave me the munchies. That always fascinated me, because I'm very prone to emotional eating, and get "the munchies" for lots of reasons. Pot just didn't do it.

2) Pot did, eventually, start to make me a bit paranoid - mostly just a strong feeling that everyone knew how wasted I was (which they probably did), but also occasional feelings that people were plotting against me and such. It's the biggest reason I quit.

3) Pot made me really, really sleepy. I have all kindleep issues, and that's the only thing that appeals to me about pot now. smile.gif Back in the day, when I was hanging with friends, it was a PITA.

4) I self-medicated for depression with pot. Like cynthiamoon, I didn't really realize it at the time, but it's very clear to me now. I was somewhat lethargic on pot, but I'm not really a go-getter type, anyway, and the lethargy wasn't severe (it wasn't uncommon for me and some friends to smoke a few joints, then go for a walk or hike, for instance). I don't believe I'd have lived to adulthood without pot. So...while I have issues with he stuff now, I'm grateful for what it did for me way back when, yk?

swede likes this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#21 of 38 Old 05-07-2013, 11:27 AM

It's good to know you don't experience the paranoia when ingesting it. I swore off it long ago when I had a horrible paranoid reaction when smoking it (the same reaction I have to the gas at the dentist, actually!!) Maybe there is hope in the future lol

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#22 of 38 Old 05-07-2013, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
 So...while I have issues with he stuff now, I'm grateful for what it did for me way back when, yk?

I think this is a really good attitude to have about life generally.  Accepting and able to appreciate the value in something that made you who you are now, even if it's no longer right for you.

That's kinda how I feel about my first boyfriend. lol.gif

applejuice likes this.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#23 of 38 Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I think this is a really good attitude to have about life generally.  Accepting and able to appreciate the value in something that made you who you are now, even if it's no longer right for you.

That's kinda how I feel about my first boyfriend. lol.gif

...and how I feel about my ex-husband. Even if I were single (and even if he weren't gay), I wouldn't take him back on a silve platter. But, he was a very positive part of my life for a long time.

applejuice likes this.

#24 of 38 Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM

IDK. I hate smoking. If I could make cigarette smoking illegal everywhere except private, single family residences, I would. I feel like people smoking in public inflicts it on me, with the second hand smoke. There's no way I'd want to breathe in second hand pot smoke.

OTOH, I don't mind people eating it in public or smoking it in a single family home situation. I don't mind people growing it. I am curious about whether there's a way to test to see if someone is driving under the influence of pot, because I do oppose driving while high.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#25 of 38 Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 PM

I'm with you there. Smokeless options are really becoming popular in our increasingly smoke-resistant society. I foresee tea houses with pastries and infused salad dressings, etc...
#26 of 38 Old 05-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First of all, in Colorado, pot smoking is only legal in private areas, so it's quite friendly to those who hate smoke in public.

DUIs for pot are a big debate though. They settled on a blood limit, but people complain that because mj is fat soluble, you can test "high" for a long time after the effects have worn off.

I think it's weird they're focusing so much on the chemical test, and not on field sobriety tests. I mean... It's pretty easy to tell someone is very high, kind of how you can tell someone is very drunk. It may not be fool proof, but at least the really messed up people would fail a good field test.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#27 of 38 Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

First of all, in Colorado, pot smoking is only legal in private areas, so it's quite friendly to those who hate smoke in public.

DUIs for pot are a big debate though. They settled on a blood limit, but people complain that because mj is fat soluble, you can test "high" for a long time after the effects have worn off.

I think it's weird they're focusing so much on the chemical test, and not on field sobriety tests. I mean... It's pretty easy to tell someone is very high, kind of how you can tell someone is very drunk. It may not be fool proof, but at least the really messed up people would fail a good field test.

I agree. Impaired driving is impaired driving. I think all the focus on exactly how someone is impaired kind of misses the point. I don't care if the car in front of me is driving erratically because of alcohol, pot, cold medicine, sleep deprivation or texting - they're not safe.

rachelsmama likes this.

#28 of 38 Old 05-10-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I agree. Impaired driving is impaired driving. I think all the focus on exactly how someone is impaired kind of misses the point. I don't care if the car in front of me is driving erratically because of alcohol, pot, cold medicine, sleep deprivation or texting - they're not safe.
The cause of the erratic driving does matter to me. Not that I condone impaired drivers, but I have a lot more sympathy for cold medicine than alcohol or recreational pot.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#29 of 38 Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

I'm guessing for law enforcement purposes, they want an objective numbers-based system so that there will be fewer incidences and complaints of the police being biased, discriminatory, or just plain stupid. 

#30 of 38 Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

The cause of the erratic driving does matter to me. Not that I condone impaired drivers, but I have a lot more sympathy for cold medicine than alcohol or recreational pot.

To each their own - lots of cold medicines very clearly state that you shouldn't drive when you're taking them. Someone who gets behind the wheel anyway is just as guilty of knowingly endangering other people's lives as someone who gets behind the wheel drunk or high. That said, in my younger and stupider days, I knowingly rode with people who were high a few times. During my first marriage, I unknowingly rode with my high ex many times (the fact that he would do something like drive high without even telling his passengers, is a big part of why he's my ex).. While I wouldn't do it again, mostly due to concerns about their reaction times, they all drove just fine. If I were in dire straits (an emergency situation of some kind), and my only options to drive were someone who had been smoking pot, and someone who had taken the "drowsy" type of cold medicine, I'd probably want the pot smoker.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page