Cinco de Mayo - do you celebrate it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cinco de Mayo, definitely celebrated in the college years, but haven't really done much during my parenting years. What about you?

There is also a funny one my kids just told me about "May the Fourth Be With You" on May 4th. Star Wars geekery. That I might really be able to get into! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#2 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Not so much, beyond having tacos that night. 

We totally do Star Wars day though -- I love it! lol.gif I send in Darth and Yoda-shaped sugar cookies to my DS's class, each in a little cellophane bag with "May the Fourth Be With You" printed on the tag. I'm a little bummed that the 4th is on a Saturday this year, and actually I was just asking my DH if he thinks it'd be okay to send them in on Friday the 3rd, or if that would ruin the whole point of the joke -- what do you think? 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...I think I'd just send them on the 3rd! You could always put them in a non-transparent bag and say do not open until the 4th ;)

journeymom likes this.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#4 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We totally do Star Wars day. Did a marathon one year, then watched the people's cut one year, and I think The People Vs George Lucas once? Fanboys is a good one to watch, too.

This year I'm going out with some friends for yum cha at lunch - coincidentally, not to celebrate - and haven't really planned anything. We should do something, though. Might email the guys...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#5 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 PM

We should combine the two holidays.

Anyway, I actually don't celebrate either of them.

pokeyac likes this.
#6 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 AM

Well, it looks like we're having a movie marathon and homemade hamburgers at our place this Saturday for ISWD.

I quite like the concept of Cinco de Mayo, from what I've seen of it (which admittedly, is mostly on Pinterest); but, well, we live in New Zealand...

#7 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo but I do have a tiny Star Wars celebration for May 4th planned. About a year ago, I came across some molds for Star Wars fighter-jet shaped pancakes. I'll make them for breakfast.

#8 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Cinco de Mayo is a good excuse to eat some yummy Mexican food and drink a margarita!  This year, no margarita for me though.  There is a large Latino population where I live and I have seen folks celebrating it more seriously but for most people it seems to be about the food and drinks.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#9 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I quite like the concept of Cinco de Mayo, from what I've seen of it (which admittedly, is mostly on Pinterest); but, well, we live in New Zealand...

I made ANZAC biscuits a couple April 25ths ago.  I've still got the mostly-full bottle of golden syrup in the back of the fridge.  lol.gif

Our tiny town has had a festival every first weekend of May for decades now.  They call it a 'fiesta', but don't have any Mexican-themed events.  There's a parade, followed by the toilet bowl race and the jumping frog race.  There's the old cars classic cars display. Amusement part rides and face painting and crafts booths.  Lots of food trucks, the quality of which have improved vastly recently, probably from the food truck trend.  It's all fun. 

Tacos and margaritas sound really good right now. 

Oh golly, I made those biscuits six years ago for 18 year old daughter's 6th grade New Zealand project.  huh.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#10 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Quote:

I made ANZAC biscuits a couple April 25ths ago.  I've still got the mostly-full bottle of golden syrup in the back of the fridge.  lol.gif

Can't believe I missed ANZAC day. My jar of golden syrup is only 2 years old. The problem is that if I need syrup, I have a huge bottle of maple syrup and I much prefer it to golden syrup. I was told that golden syrup makes a nice sponge pudding, but I've never tried it. Maybe I should find a good recipe and try to use it up. 

#11 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM

Yeah, golden syrup's kind of... functional rather than delicious. I wouldn't eat it by itself, like on pancakes or anything like that. But it's good for cooking. With butter, brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk it makes a nice caramel filling for chocolate caramel bars. And you can use it in place of light corn syrup in recipes which don't mind a faint caramel flavour. Golden syrup puddings and dumplings are OK, and some recipes for sticky toffee date puddings use it.

I don't go through a ton of it - a tin every few years, I guess! My favourite recipe for microwave caramel fudge uses it, though.

I entered an Anzac biscuit competition this year. Didn't win, though. :/

#12 of 12 Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:

I entered an Anzac biscuit competition this year. Didn't win, though. :/

Yum, I bet yours were tasty even if you didn't win. I love that combination of oats, butter and brown sugar/syrup. So quick to make too. I don't know why I don't make them more often.

Last year, for a history project about WWI and the homefrtont, DD made a care package and wrote a paper. She included a tin of homemade ANZAC biscuits (along with socks, soap, family photo etc.). I'm sure the fact that the tin came back empty with enthusiastic reviews had nothing to do with the A+ she got for the assignment   lol.gif.  I told her she should figure out a way to include homebaking with every assignment in all her classes.

Tags
Holidays , Birthdays And Holidays

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page