"I'm shocked people still use..." - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Uh, inadvertently got my wish. DH's power car windows still work, but his "beeper key" battery ran out, so now we have a non-power lock!

Lol, how funny -- what coincidental timing!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

we were visiting a new city and were passing an used bookstore. dd said 'oooh wait i just need to go in and smell the store. i love the smell of old books.' being the owner of a nook i was shocked she was even familiar with the smell of old books. 

it was a really cool bookstore and we hung out there a while. introduced me to a new band Gorillaz. i liked what they were playing. still need to check them out. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

introduced me to a new band Gorillaz. i liked what they were playing. still need to check them out. 

Don't they sing that song that goes something like, "Happy, feeling glad I got sunshine in a bag..."? I remember liking that song years ago -- I'll have to check out some of their newer stuff!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 06-04-2013, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

ugh. by 'new' band i meant new for me. gosh i cant believe they've been around since 98.

and hey yeah. that's the song they were playing. i was trying tofind what they were playing. so THANKS!!!!

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I miss regular fixtures at public bathrooms. I can flush all by myself, thank you very much. I can turn on water faucets; been doing it for years. I can pull out a paper towel without power assist. Such a crazy waste of power. A solution looking for a problem.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 06-06-2013, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

I miss regular fixtures at public bathrooms. I can flush all by myself, thank you very much. I can turn on water faucets; been doing it for years. I can pull out a paper towel without power assist. Such a crazy waste of power. A solution looking for a problem.

I agree!  The thing that bugs me even more is when the toilet and the faucets are automatic, but the paper towel dispenser is manual.  It usually takes a bit of hand-waving to figure out that I'll have to extract the towel myself.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I had a toilet at a coffee shop flush on me four times the other day then it didn't flush when I needed it to! I can't stand them either.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate those automatic flush toilets! They are so pointless I think, but mostly because my three year old is absolutely terrified of them. He is actually nervous using any new toilet as he is scared that it might randomly and loudly flush. Which made toilet training super easy:)

Wife to my sweet Husband Man, Mama to my adorable little Pickle (01/23/10) and expecting another bundle of joy (05/13)

Old 06-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ugh.  It's just gross when those toilets flush when I'm still sitting there. I resolutely don't think about the spray of water that's hitting my nether regions.

So Myth Busters did an episode about air hand dryers versus paper towels.  At least where bacteria is concerned paper towels were far superior to air dryers.  Husband felt vindicated; he hates them.  I don't like the perpetual puddle of water under them.

Either one is better than the cloth hand towel on a roller that public bathrooms used to have. My grade school changed to paper towels in maybe 3rd grade.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Our newest mall has new, fancy hand dryers. You insert your hands vertically into a slot like a toaster, and move them up and down while blasts of air ripple the skin on your hands and make you wonder if you should start using some kind of collagen anti-wrinkle cream. I like 'em. They have far more drying power than regular hand dryers. But I'm still generally too impatient to wait for the full effect, and end up wiping my hands on my jeans as I exit, so... yeah, paper towels work well.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The Dyson hand dryers?  Those are fun!  I got to use one once in a touristy place in San Francisco.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
They have them at our mall here. I like them!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Ugh.  It's just gross when those toilets flush when I'm still sitting there. I resolutely don't think about the spray of water that's hitting my nether regions.

OMG, yes. TMI, but you're supposed to close the lid before flushing anyway to avoid spreading germs - that's what I do at home. My other beef with the automatic ones is that they are sometimes SO LOUD. Traumatic for little kids!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

User Tag List