"I'm shocked people still use..." - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 73 Old 05-13-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I am at work listening to someone use an adding machine.  Not the most unusual thing, but I find Excel also works very nicely.  There are also some old electric typewriters around my office that people actually use sometimes.  I was shocked when I found that out.  What are you surprised people still use?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 73 Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

When I was a kid, my family still used a wringer washing machine. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#3 of 73 Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom used a scythe to cut some portions of our (tony NY country home) lawn.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#4 of 73 Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM

I gotta get me a scythe.  That would make yard work easier!

#5 of 73 Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post

I am at work listening to someone use an adding machine.  Not the most unusual thing, but I find Excel also works very nicely.  There are also some old electric typewriters around my office that people actually use sometimes.  I was shocked when I found that out.  What are you surprised people still use?

Hm. Not surprised, but we still use a manual typewriter occasionally, mostly for craft projects.  

We have an abacus.  We don't use it, but I have older relatives who are pretty quick with it. And slide rulers. 

#6 of 73 Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM

I tend to be more surprised over things people have begun using, rather than old technologies they still use. But then, I'm weird. I'm 26, yet I prefer a treadle sewing machine to an electric, hands down, I'd rather manually grind my own coffee beans than use an electric grinder, I love coffee, but despise electric coffee makers, I won't even look at an electric can opener, I insist my children learn to use an abacus, and I find the concept of browsing the internet on a phone to be obnoxious and unnecessary. I also have a Queen Wringer Washer on my wishlist. I think we opt for the more modern option incredibly frequently when the more traditional options are actually better. Sure, there are modern conveniences that are improvements, but I think we've gone overboard.

#7 of 73 Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 PM

We have 2 electric typewriters that are the most played with things in our house--my kids LOVE them (and they're really cheap at thrift stores) :)  

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#8 of 73 Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I don't know what an adding machine is but I did work at a place where they still used a typewriter for forms about 10 years ago. I haven't seen them since then though. I
#9 of 73 Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 PM

For some tasks, I actually prefer to work on an adding machine than a spreadsheet (and I really, really like spreadsheets - I always have). I kind of miss them.

I can't really think of anything that surprises me much. My family have always held onto things and used them long after most people have given up on them. (I was still desperately trying to cling to my old Walkman - the cassette type - when MP3 players were making an appearance, and it took me years to switch from vinyl. I only did, because it became almost impossible to find.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#10 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I tend to be more surprised over things people have begun using, rather than old technologies they still use. But then, I'm weird. I'm 26, yet I prefer a treadle sewing machine to an electric, hands down, I'd rather manually grind my own coffee beans than use an electric grinder, I love coffee, but despise electric coffee makers, I won't even look at an electric can opener, I insist my children learn to use an abacus, and I find the concept of browsing the internet on a phone to be obnoxious and unnecessary. I also have a Queen Wringer Washer on my wishlist. I think we opt for the more modern option incredibly frequently when the more traditional options are actually better.

Intriguing. What do you find better about them? I know old treadle sewing machines are meant to be well-made, but do they actually produce a neater stitch or offer more control, or is it more of a psychological benefit - feeling connected to seamstresses of the past or what-have-you?

I really can't see the appeal of a wringer-type washing machine. Does it get clothes cleaner than a modern machine? (Heck, even if it did, I'd take my perfectly adequate walk-away-and-let-it-do-its-thing model...)

I never learned to use an abacus. No-one ever taught me. I therefore assume using one requires arcane, quasi-mystical skill.

We hang out in a geek crowd, which tends to be pretty pro-technology, so we don't have too many obsolescent artifacts. :p DH can wield a sword and shoot a recurve bow, though; does that count?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#11 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I prefer the old school can opener.  When I moved in with DW, we switched to her can opener that cuts through the side so you have a smooth cut.  She wasn't home when I tried to open a can for the first time, and I could not figure out how to do it.  dizzy.gif  I had to dig through some stuff in the closet to find my old one and then I got the can open. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#12 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 PM

Our apt. has a Chambers stove - the gas oven and grill have to be lit with a match. That's always fun to show people. It's this one:

http://www.antiquestoveheaven.com/images/chambers4.jpg

We also use a non-electric push mower, but I think those made a comeback - Target sells them! Maybe it's because of all the people in cities with small lawns.

I have an old egg beater that we use occasionally that looks like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/EKCO-HAND-MIXER-EGG-BEATER-OLIVE-GREEN-HANDLE-VGUC-/171040437668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d2cdf5a4

I also own my grandmother's abacus, but have no idea how to add with it!

What I lament: the demise of the non-power car door. I really always prefereed the regular non-power lock/knob and handle for rolling the window up and down.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#13 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 PM

Oops! Didn't actually say what I was surprised to see people use! My step-dad used a corded dial phone until he could no longer get through phone trees - at the time I couldn't understand why he didn't want a cordless. He also uses a percolater coffee pot on the stove - have you ever had percolated aka overboiled coffee? twins.gif nasty.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#14 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

and it took me years to switch from vinyl. I only did, because it became almost impossible to find.)

Vinyl is still pretty popular with some people. I have a friend with a huge vinyl collection. DS is excited because his band is releasing an album on vinyl. In fact, he just got word today that the records have arrived. He and his bandmates are organizing right now to pick them up. I think he would run to get them immediately but he has a previous commitment to tutor someone this afternoon and with exams around the corner, he can't bail on her. 

#15 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

What I lament: the demise of the non-power car door. I really always prefereed the regular non-power lock/knob and handle for rolling the window up and down.

I don't mind power windows, in general. I hate the one on the driver side of my minivan. When I push it down, even very briefly, it keeps going on its own. I rarely want my window all the way open, as there's too much noise, and too much wind. So, I have to start over putting it back up, and concentrate on it more than if they didn't have the automatic feature.

I like dial phones.

Abacuses are pretty simple to use - I looked it up for dd1 once - but I assume they require some practice if you want any speed.

I'm a fuddy-duddy, and don't like change. I still use a naptha/white gas camp stove, as I don't like propane cylinders. I'm still mourning the death of my nice, simple flip phone, which died a few months ago. I hate touch screen phones.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#16 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM

I still use an adding maching when I do the banking at work. I need to be ale to print out receipt tapes, and it wastes much less paper than doing it in Excel. But using Excel is an interesting idea. I may have to give that a try sometime.
#17 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post

I still use an adding maching when I do the banking at work. I need to be ale to print out receipt tapes, and it wastes much less paper than doing it in Excel. But using Excel is an interesting idea. I may have to give that a try sometime.

I've tried Excel (and Lotus 123) for that. It works okay, but I find the adding machine to be the best tool for the job when you're attaching the tapes.

#18 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Intriguing. What do you find better about them? I know old treadle sewing machines are meant to be well-made, but do they actually produce a neater stitch or offer more control, or is it more of a psychological benefit - feeling connected to seamstresses of the past or what-have-you?

I really can't see the appeal of a wringer-type washing machine. Does it get clothes cleaner than a modern machine? (Heck, even if it did, I'd take my perfectly adequate walk-away-and-let-it-do-its-thing model...)

I never learned to use an abacus. No-one ever taught me. I therefore assume using one requires arcane, quasi-mystical skill.

We hang out in a geek crowd, which tends to be pretty pro-technology, so we don't have too many obsolescent artifacts. :p DH can wield a sword and shoot a recurve bow, though; does that count?

Treadles are better made and offer more control. I make fewer errors on a treadle.

As for the washer, the one I have in mind uses less water and is more efficient than most modern machines, and I don't mind wringing before drying.

I'm a recovering geek. Once upon a time, I was a business solutions software programmer, loved gadgets, and artificial intelligence programming was my main hobby. Then I realized technology ate my life, and took a step back. All in all, I'm just a happier, healthier person stepping away from it where practical.

#19 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM

I have a good friend who resisted getting a cell phone for as long as possible. He finally gave up when he got stranded somewhere and couldn't find a pay phone, because so many people have cell phones that pay phones are becoming uncommon.

I've been tempted to make a Russian-style hexidecimal abacus, even though Windows comes with a calculator program that can do hexidecimal. And it's not like I need to crunch hexidecimal numbers that often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

I actually bought a 2012  Nissan Versa with manual everything... I can't say I share your sentiment. I actually added an extra $700 on my loan to get auto-locks installed, but apparently the guys that do that don't work on weekends, so for the last six months I've been unlocking my car with a key like some kind of barbarian! It wouldn't be so bad except only one of the doors has a keyhole. It would really suck if I had young kids.

Quote:

I'm a fuddy-duddy, and don't like change. I still use a naptha/white gas camp stove, as I don't like propane cylinders. I'm still mourning the death of my nice, simple flip phone, which died a few months ago. I hate touch screen phones.

I so like it when portable devices flip closed. That way the screen doesn't get damaged so easily. And in the case of phones, it's harder to butt-dial someone.

#20 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post

Yes, and if you are carrying it around for adding somewhere else, it's just faster to punch the numbers in on an adding machine than a laptop keyboard, and it has a smaller footprint in most cases.  

#21 of 73 Old 05-14-2013, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

No, those don't count.  Those are trendy now, like knitting or having your own laying hens. winky.gif

#22 of 73 Old 05-15-2013, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Or vinyl. :p

Well then, um, drat. I used a loom once, but it wasn't a success. And... our microwave is really old...? Nope. We're lame modern people.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#23 of 73 Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I'm surprised by how many people still use mothballs - the really stinky, horribly toxic napthalene ones that are specifically banned in a lot of settings.  And they aren't all old people using them either, a lot of them are university students!

As for newfangled things that I'm surprised became popular:  dryer sheets. 

#24 of 73 Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:

I've tried Excel (and Lotus 123) for that. It works okay, but I find the adding machine to be the best tool for the job when you're attaching the tapes.

Yep.  I am an accountant and there are many times when an adding machine is quicker and easier.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#25 of 73 Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

I'm surprised by how many people still use mothballs - the really stinky, horribly toxic napthalene ones that are specifically banned in a lot of settings.  And they aren't all old people using them either, a lot of them are university students!

I have a theory that there are some people that are addicted to the smell of mothballs, like most of my family......Such a shame because there were so many things we simply could not bring into our house because I could not get the smell out.

Are these students from outside of North America?  I ask because I brought up the mothball thing to my exterminator (epic mice, extermination was the last resort) and he said for years, mothballs/naphthalene was basically the only thing available.  I wonder if the use is still standard in less "developed" countries?

#26 of 73 Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

I have a theory that there are some people that are addicted to the smell of mothballs, like most of my family......Such a shame because there were so many things we simply could not bring into our house because I could not get the smell out.

Are these students from outside of North America?  I ask because I brought up the mothball thing to my exterminator (epic mice, extermination was the last resort) and he said for years, mothballs/naphthalene was basically the only thing available.  I wonder if the use is still standard in less "developed" countries?

I'm never quite able to connect specific students with the mothballs, but there are a lot of international students, so it's possible you're right.  The addiction theory is also interesting.

#27 of 73 Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

I'm never quite able to connect specific students with the mothballs, but there are a lot of international students, so it's possible you're right.  The addiction theory is also interesting.

What is interesting about my family is that they all deny that they overuse mothballs yet there are boxes in every closet as well as the attics and the basements too.  And these are insanely clean freak people with pristine houses.  When I asked my great aunt (who is one of the few non-mothball addicts) if anyone in the family ever had a moth or bug problem, she said she couldn't remember bugs or moths in their house growing up.  My German father (other side of the family) also loved his mothballs.

#28 of 73 Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Or vinyl. :p

Well then, um, drat. I used a loom once, but it wasn't a success. And... our microwave is really old...? Nope. We're lame modern people.

New vinyl might look like old vinyl, but they are made from digital recordings.  New speakers are digital, and new record players that play 78s actually digitally speed up the recording.  So, it's like pretend vinyl.  Sort of like when Coke put out the "new" Coke and then went back to Classic, except it wasn't really the old classic because that was made with sugar and the new was made with corn syrup and the bubbles were All Wrong....

We still have the old vinyl, and I have my grandparents' old 78's to play on my analog turntable with my analog speakers.

We still have a slide projector.

We still have a dial phone and it's plugged in.  Another regular phone ("vintage" Garfield) is plugged in as well.  Handy for power outages.

I do have a rock-bottom cell phone, but I was eyeing one advertised for Old People with something like "I just want a phone to be a phone!"  And it is!  A cell phone that is just a phone!  I want it!

We have a typewriter still, for fun.

I have a fridge that I manually defrost.  It's not an old one, but one designed for cabins.  I like it because it's silent.

And I spin wool.  Or, to be precise, I still have a spinning wheel.  Haven't spun in ages (almost exactly as long as might oldest daughter is old.)

Oh, and I can wield a Japanese sword.  Cut some stuff, too.  Really, really fun!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#29 of 73 Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM

One of the doors in my house locks with a skeleton key, and it still works too! 

#30 of 73 Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've been scrutinizing the State job boards for months now and occasionally there's a job posted that requests 10-key experience.  I'm assuming that's the same as an adding machine? Or similar, anyway.  I got pretty good with the 10-key, could do it fast, by touch, without looking. 

I meant to mention,  I have a 1962 rotary princess phone.  It looks like this one, except that it's the dull putty color, not a groovy aqua blue.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/117320411/1962-aqua-turquoise-princess-rotary

It's plugged in, it rings REALLY loudly.  It receives calls but you can't dial out on it. 

And another edit,

My mom got rid of the manual typewriter we grew up with, and I soooo wish she hadn't.  It was an obvious thing for her to do, she replaced it with a pc.  But I think my kids would have had a lot of fun with them.  I sure would.  It looked like this one:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/115467415/vintage-underwood-manual-typewriter-with

And dh has an Apple Macintosh somewhere. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page