Anybody learn a obscure language as an adult? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really want to learn Gaelic, very preferably Scottish Gaelic. I spent about 3 weeks in Scotland about 10 years ago and fell in love with it. Gaelic is experiencing a resurgence there so it was so cool to see it on street signs and their version of PBS. 

But I not good with languages. Rosetta Stone only has Irish Gaelic and I don't know how much they differ. 

Anyone pick an uncommon language as an adult and been successful? What method did you use?

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Bumping up for more input!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I had a friend who taught himself Gaelic (I assume Scots, that's his heritage) using whatever program the military uses. Berlitz I think. Good luck; it's a beautiful language.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Well, this is not that obscure of a language, but I learned Kiswahili as an adult, in the Peace Corps. (I have since forgotten most of it :(   )  I think the most important thing is having conversation partners, so the Rosetta Stone Total-e, which links you up with learners and native speakers online, is probably a good choice.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard such amazing things about Rosetta Stone that I want to try it BUT they only have Irish Gaelic not Scots. I might do some reading to figure out how they differ...

Thanks for the info. Seattle does have a Scots Gaelic group and learning program. I much prefer a program I can do at home.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

User Tag List