Keeping kids occupied on road trips without electronics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are some suggestions for keeping kiddos occupied in the car on roadtrips without electronics? And what ages do you think your best tips will work with? I have a wide range of ages and the olders are just fine with reading, but the little is always hard to keep occupied! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#2 of 38 Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 AM

I just went on a plane ride with my 22 month old. I brought stickers, books, a new baby for her, some bandaids to play with (what child isn't obsessed with bandaids?), coloring supplies, and some other quiet toys. I kept everything in my bag and she didn't know I had any of it until we were on the plane and about 30 minutes into our first flight. She was totally occupied for our flights and was actually quiet. I found that just buying a couple new items (at yard sales and from the dollar store) kept her occupied better than stuff I had brought from home that she had already played with. I hope this helps.

LoveOurBabies likes this.
#3 of 38 Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

some little ones need breaks more often to help them keep focused. they are high energy kids who need to move their body. that means in the car make more stops. on flight walk around more. 

with dd intrigue was the factor. how do things work. she was not a toy person so i would bring different bottles with different caps for her to figure out how to drink water out of it. even if it meant she got wet. or different pens where you had to do different actions to make them work. same thing with small tupperware. how does the lid come off. 

though one time in an hour long drive - i sang what was it 80+ verses of if you're happy and you know it. she was totally into it and woudlnt let me stop.

however what do you mean by occupied? leave you alone, sit quietly in their seat? what is your level of expectation. those were impossible for my social toddler. what worked for her were people and interaction. we've done lots of long road trips and loooooooooooong flights and as long as dd had someone to talk to she didnt need anything else. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 38 Old 05-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Sticker books have been a favorite of ours - they've always seemed better for car rides than coloring books for us.

We try to stop frequently (2-3 hours), to avoid anyone getting carsick -- but on the same note I often also bring lollipops as I think it helps the carsickness too.  And I'll make sure to have a favorite kid song or story CD to listen to, and everyone has pillows for easier falling asleep.  

Sometimes a hoop with fabric prepped for embroidery (with 2-3 threaded needles) is a good activity, and littler kid practice sewing boards with shoelaces (or the plastic cross stitch boards).  

I've sometimes allowed for those mini bubble bottles in the car for a long trip.

#5 of 38 Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)

A view-master was a favorite pre-reading car toy for my kids.

non-messy art supplies (such as color wonder) and a lap desk

kid-friendly music

I agree about new things, but I also found that putting things away for a while before the trip made them more interesting ON the trip.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 38 Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM

Love Magna Doodles and books on tape. Not the healthiest but licorice too. It's not messy and takes a while to eat. If you know some landmarks we have be on the look outs for which I always said I would give .25, but I'm not sure I ever did. We play an ABC game too- you need to find a word in order for each letter of the alphabet; you could pair up olders and you gers. We went 15 hours each way every summer from the time our kids were 2.5 and 10 days old. Never any personal electronics.
#7 of 38 Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The kids and I drive (without DH) 8 hours to my mom's house every summer. What works for us is that I give each kid a lap board so they have a flat surface, and hand them each an activity bag right when we start, with a small notepad, a few crayons, a little new toy of some sort, and a couple of healthy snacks.

Then, in a box on the passenger seat up front, I keep individually bagged snacks (so I can just pass them back without driving unsafely) and 3 wrapped gifts for each kid. I tell the kids that after 2 hours of good behavior, they can open a gift. The gifts are teeny, stuff like matchbox cars, flavored lip balm, sparkly crayons, etc., but boy does the sight of gift wrapped items in the front seat ever keep them focused on good behavior!

That "good behavior" usually requires my participation, like playing the alphabet game with them or something, but I enjoy that. And we always stop twice, once at a nice rest stop (where we get an ice cream bar from the vending machine and go for a walk) and once for lunch. It breaks up the drive into manageable chunks for all of us.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#8 of 38 Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Those felt-board toys, or the ones with the magnet pictures would keep my girls busy for a long time. Maps, games of I-Spy, stitching toys, lots and lots of snacks (ones they don't normally get!), and even some made-up-mommy stories (favorites: Virginia and Olivia, who have to spend a lot of time in the car, but magical things happen along the way that make the trip go faster; and Ricky Raccoon who runs into all kinds of trouble).  

And a lot of breaks!  If it's a trip you make regularly, kids can look forward to certain stops.  On our way to the beach, we stop by a lovely lake for lunch to tromp in the water and throw and skip rocks.  Littles are easy to encourage to tear around a rest area lawn.  We even took a break on our way up to Mt. Rainier in WA and played for 2 hours in the runoff.... in the gutter of the parking lot!  People were setting off on hikes down to the real glacial river down a steep hill-- breathtaking, raw, rugged, violently beautiful-- and we spent our time stomping up and down this gutter playing with sticks and rocks and leaves.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#9 of 38 Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We always played games. A few that I can recall -  

- I Spy 

- the license plate alphabet game 

- a song lyric game we made up where one person recites a line and the next person has to come up with a different song that is thematically linked or inspired by the first song 

- spot the wild animal (points for rarity) 

Games are good for distractions but they do require your attention. It may not be a solution if you wanted them entertained without your participation. 

Honestly, I find electronics are a pretty good solution for boring stretches of travel. We've never used DVDs, but iPods with audiobooks and music and handheld electronics can be helpful. Reading isn't a good solution for us due to struggles with motion sickness. 

Another good tip is to start your road trip as early as possible - like 5 or 6 a.m. early, if you can manage it. The kids tend to fall back asleep and you can get 3 or 4 hours of driving before stopping for a late breakfast. Then you can drive on for a few more hours before stopping mid-afternoon. That way, you can all enjoy some exercise and activity or sightseeing in the afternoon and a nice dinner, so you are all refreshed for the next days' travel. 

#10 of 38 Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We don't do electronics in the car either. My older two (8 and 6) enjoy card games, reading and drawing (just have a clipboard handy and enough pencils to go around).

Younger DC (4) enjoy's stickers, sticky tape and drawing.

Me: DH:

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
#11 of 38 Old 05-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
We regularly do 3.5 hour car trips to visit family, and my super high energy, bouncing off walls, can't sit still 2.5 year old can do them without stops and only music (non-obnoxious kid music like Caspar Babypants) and looking out the window. Sometimes one of us will sit back there with him. He just points out all the trucks, cows, and horses and sings.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#12 of 38 Old 05-22-2013, 05:02 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

We had special markers for drawing on the inside of the car windows (wipe off like dry-erase), listened to audio books, and played all the mind numbing games like I-Spy. We also enjoyed Travel Bingo (the board with the little plastic sliding windows)

I used to drive 5 hours each way almost every Sunday to visit my mom. The Dumplings were 3 and 4, and for several years thereafter. We would leave early in the morning, arrive around noon, and visit till bedtime. I had them convinced for years that EVERYONE wears a diaper in the car. This avoided many potty stops along the way. They would sleep all the way home. The challenge for me was to drink enough coffee to stay awake until 12 or 1, but not stop to pee. It became a point of honor...orngtongue.gif

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#13 of 38 Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Card games - a lot of popular board games have been made into card versions - Life, Scrabble, Battleship, and even Tetris. We have quite a few of them and they're really fun, and easily portable. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#14 of 38 Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Magnet dolls, small toys, a small Tupperware of legos or k-nex, picture books, art stuff, books on CD, singing to the radio, joining in on imaginative play, new and special snacks, and lots of stops at city parks.
#15 of 38 Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We have a set of travel game cards, I think they are usbourne. A lot are games we already knew like eye spy, 20 questions etc but picking a random card from the box makes it a bit more exciting.

A stop watch, we take it in turns to time and see how many red cars/lorries/caravans we see in 2 minutes.

Audio books, though I may need a change from Harry Potter. It's been the only one they agree on for a while. Sometimes they take their own headphones and DSs to listen to

music.

Snacks & more snacks, a lot of the time we plan to travel over a meal time so they can be kept busy eating. Does leave a lot of crumbs in the car though.

For stops bubbles are easy to take along and get the burning off a bit of excess energy.

#16 of 38 Old 05-23-2013, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Food, Scotch tape is amazing at keeping little ones occupied.
Having the kids keep track of the map works.
I have a road trip with a 2yr old, 3yr old and 13yr old coming up.
Our biggest issue is keeping the kids from bugging eachother. Normally we travel by car, but will be getting a minivan to keep everyone from touching

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#17 of 38 Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM

This thread is very timely for me. I'll be traveling 13 hours soon with a 9 month old and almost 3 year old. What kinds of snacks and new foods do you all like to take?

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
#18 of 38 Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

Scotch tape is amazing at keeping little ones occupied.

For some reason, this reminded me of Cat's Cradle, the string game. Cheap entertainment for a little while. 

#19 of 38 Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Scotch tape is genius!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#20 of 38 Old 05-26-2013, 01:44 PM

We did YEARS of road trips when I was a kid, and now we do them with our fam.  Here are my tips: a container/carry all for each person.  This can be a back pack, storage cube, whatever to store eace person's things (my mom had those fold up accessories cases that hang on the back of the door.  She would hang them on the back of the seats, and then each of us had our own space.  DS usually takes a backpack or a storage cube.  We usually have some travel games (guess who is popular), some drawing stuff, audiobooks (downloaded from the local library), and some sing along CDs.  Kids rotate who chooses a group activity (20 questions is popular), and in between we have individual activities. 

I always plan out the trip with good places for bathroom stops, breaks, etc.  We usually bring some balls, bubbles, and play stuff to play with on breaks.  I like to research public parks in the towns we are likely to stop in, since then we can stop for a picnic lunch and play on the playground at the same time.  During one day where it was going to be a long day of driving, we stopped at a park with a water feature and stopped to play for an hour after lunch.  Then after a nice potty break and dry off session, the kids all slept in the car and we got through the day relatively unscathed.  We have also been known to stop at McDonald's for a fruit smoothie and use of the indoor playground.  We do not eat the food there, but usually will buy something for a snack so the kids can play (but we can easily hit 105 in the summer and we just can not play outside).

Snacks - we usually have a wide assortment of cheese, homemade chex mix, trail mix, fresh fruit, crackers, cereal or granola bars, fruit leathers, etc.  We have a box for dry snacks, and a cooler for drinks and cold snacks (i freeze water bottles and use them to keep everything cold, then we can drink the water.

We also keep a trash can in the car so everyone can through away their trash

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#21 of 38 Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 PM

Great thread, leaving next week to drive from Oregon to Illinois with our 2 year old (and 2 dogs). We always start early, and the kid(s) sleep for the first few hours, then we try to stop in the afternoon for a hike/walk/playtime. 

In the car, we love color wonder markers/dry erase markers, stickers, small books (hoping to buy a few new ones for this trip), little cars/trains, SNACKS, and random things. On our last road trip our friend was with us, and Mark LOVED his iPad cover. He didn't play with the iPad, just the "Magic" cover that was magnetic and could be folded into different shapes. He played with that for hours each day! You never know what random object will be the thing on that trip! On our train trip, we did a lot of beads, but I'm not sure if we could do that in the car. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#22 of 38 Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 AM

This would be for older kids (maybe 5 or 6 +?), but my family was on the road a LOT when I was a kid and my sister and I would keep ourselves occupied for hours with our dolls--we each had one or two, and a big bag of clothes--dressing and undressing them, making them talk to each other, showing them stuff out the window...and i was really lucky that I never got carsick, so I read a lot.

There are some great ideas here. I love the little wrapped presents idea. DD is 2, so maybe a little young for some of that, but I'm definitely going to return to this thread when we leave for a 2-day drive next week!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#23 of 38 Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Card games - a lot of popular board games have been made into card versions - Life, Scrabble, Battleship, and even Tetris. We have quite a few of them and they're really fun, and easily portable. 

Just wanted to add to this that a clipboard or a cardboard box lid is useful to bring along, because it provides a place to lay out the draw/discard piles without cards flying all over every time you make a turn. If you give each kid their own box lid, so much the better. Now that I'm thinking about it again, you could make a pre-trip project out of it - decorating their box lid - aka car table. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#24 of 38 Old 06-01-2013, 03:58 PM

With my five year old, we play the ABC game (find letters in order on lisence plates, signs, etc.). The license plate game is fun too - keep track over the course of a whole trip how many different states you can find. That would be for older kids though.

Amanda

#25 of 38 Old 06-25-2013, 06:08 PM

When my boys were younger we used a manga doodle .
#26 of 38 Old 07-21-2013, 07:42 PM

My family with our 6 and 8 year old are driving from Michigan to Idaho this summer. Great ideas. Any ideas to build on using maps?
#27 of 38 Old 07-21-2013, 10:35 PM

I don't know, but whatever you do, do NOT forget the anti-nauseant meds or you will all be occupied in ways that will give you nightmares for years.

For maps, I have one that I drew myself that the kids use for going to my parents cabin. It's got landmarks on it that they know, like the dump truck that sits in front of a mine we go past, and a big water fall, the gas station we always stop at and get snacks, etc as well as the names of the towns we drive though. I used a bunch of packing tape to 'laminate' it so it's pretty sturdy and has survived several years worth of trips (even when I forgot the meds... *shudder*)

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#28 of 38 Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

I don't know, but whatever you do, do NOT forget the anti-nauseant meds or you will all be occupied in ways that will give you nightmares for years.

hug2.gif  When I was a kid, I suffered horribly with motion sickness. My parents didn't "believe" in using meds except in dire circumstances. Somehow my suffering in the backseat for 6 or 8 hours per day while we were on extended road trips across the country wasn't a dire circumstance. 

A tip - chewing peppermint-flavoured gum as a substitute for anti-nausea meds won't help and will only ensure that the kid hates the taste of peppermint for the rest of their lives. Chains on the back bumper to ground static electricity, sea bands, and other non-medicinal treatments are likewise completely useless.  

#29 of 38 Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 AM

My mom gave me Dramamine a few times on long road trips and I hated it. It seemed to just make it so that I was nauseous but also horribly drowsy. It wasn't like it just made me feel normal. That was 30 years ago though -- maybe the anti-nausea meds have improved since then?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#30 of 38 Old 07-22-2013, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Dramamine specifically makes a regular version and a non-drowsy one these days. I highly recommend keeping a non-drowsy version around for just in case because gas stations only seem to carry the regular version in these small emergency packets they sell. 

Signed, 

Mom to a 10 year old who suddenly got car sick one day and now we are plagued with car sickness issues every time we travel

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Tags
Tv Free , Travel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page