Ahhh! Fathers Day is This Sunday!! *Also, Help With D&D Related??* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The kids will be washing his car. 

I've got a very clever card planned; will be back here for help from you clever ladies later. 

We'll grill something tasty and dessert will be pie and ice cream.  He's an ice cream fiend. 

Gifts from the kids:  I have no idea!!!  Our budget is smaller than it has been.  I think we can manage $25 each, two kids, but that's pushing it. 

Would a Hawaiian shirt be totally lame?  He's has one that looks great but makes him sweat like crazy.  Last I looked, (last year), Macys seemed to have only cheap, uncomfortable Hawaiian shirts, or fabulous, perfect Tommy Bahamas that are priced way out of our budget.  Nothing in between.

Am I over-thinking the money part? Like I said $25 is pushing it, dh and I are worried about money all the time, and we shouldn't be adding to the worries.

We didn't do big gifts for my parents on fathers day and mothers day. We went out to a nice restaurant once for Mothers day.  Otherwise it was flowers, a card and breakfast in bed. 

I dunno, in past years we've gotten him neat shirts from Thinkgeek, but I'm not that organized this year. 

Suggestions? 

And tell me about your Father's Day plans, and stories from the past!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#2 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Mother's Day and Father's Day are very lowkey in our house -- just acknowledging the person and making them feel appreciated, no big gifts or gestures. A nice breakfast, homemade cards, whatever they want for dinner, and letting them relax. I might get DH the first Game of Thrones book, and the kids made him some things at school. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
We tend to do figurines and a giftcard for coffee or a lunch place because we all collect stuff and only splurge with giftcards. Figurines run about ten dollars tops. My mom loves the plastic toy ones because she is forever knocking them down and those are also inexpensive but meaningful for her.
#4 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We celebrated tonight actually.  My parents are going out of town on Sunday morning.  Also my mom's birthday is very soon, so we combined the event.

For my dad:  new tackle box

For dh:  a couple sweatshirts (he needed new ones so badly) and the girls created a dance to a montage of 3 theme songs (dh is the tv guy, I am bookish. . .lately he has been watching Magnum PI on netflix, he loves James Bond, and he loves Burn Notice).  

We had a BBQ at my place with my parents, sister, and grandparents.

IMO father's day/mother's day/valentines day  is best when the present or token is smaller rather than larger.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 12 Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm just making dh a dinner that he'll like... Not that I usually make things he hates:-)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#6 of 12 Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

IMO father's day/mother's day/valentines day  is best when the present or token is smaller rather than larger.  

I agree, and I'm remembering that the nice fire pit he and the kids got me was for my birthday, 2 weeks before mothers day.  For mothers day they washed my car.  It was just perfect. 

I'm slapping my forehead.  For pity's sake, dd is 18 y.o., ds is almost 14 y.o. They can figure it out for themselves. Dd already knew what she wanted for him  -the very cute Star Wars 'Vader's Little Princess' book.  All of $8 or something.  She's making him a card.  Ds found the equivalent 'Darth Vader and Son'.  So there it is, cute little books, washed cars and blackberry pie. 

I need to sit down and focus on the D&D type card I'm making for him.  I saw a t-shirt like this that wasn't quite right, but it was something like, Dad-Man:  Loyalty +40, Wallet -10, Teasing +10, Wisdom +100.  None of those sound right for my dh.  The problem is that I've never played D&D, but he has a lot, and I don't know how to make it sound cleverly accurate.  

Any ideas??

#7 of 12 Old 06-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
There's a "gamer mom" thread around here somewhere, Tribes maybe? Gotta be some D & D players that would help you.
#8 of 12 Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Mother's Day and Father's Day are very lowkey in our house -- just acknowledging the person and making them feel appreciated, no big gifts or gestures. A nice breakfast, homemade cards, whatever they want for dinner, and letting them relax. I might get DH the first Game of Thrones book, and the kids made him some things at school. 

Well I ended up going a bit crazy. I got him a gift card for the driving range near his work so he can go hit balls at lunchtime if be wants to, then the kids and I stopped by a clothing store to get him a t-shirt but ended up getting him 3 t-shirts and a pair of shorts. So, more than I had planned on doing, but he really needs some new summer clothes. He feels guilty when he spends money on himself, so I guess with both gifts what I'm really doing is taking away that guilt component so he can just enjoy new clothes and hitting balls worry-free.

I also made him his favorite banana sandwich cookies (and some for my FIL and GFIL), put together some monkey bread to rise overnight for breakfast, and I'll make lasagna for dinner.

#9 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

his favorite banana sandwich cookies

ooooooh recipe please. I have not heard of such a thing. I googled and there's sooo much variety. which type do you make? please.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#10 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We keep things pretty small here.  I made dh breakfast in bed with help from the boys.  We're going to the beach, and I'll make him a special dinner with his favorite desert  tonight.  If we had money, I'd probably get him something small, but he'd be mad if I got him anything right now.  I also give him coupons for various things, like letting him sleep in and taking the boys out or a massage and other...umm...services.

#11 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

ooooooh recipe please. I have not heard of such a thing. I googled and there's sooo much variety. which type do you make? please.

I use this recipe, with the vanilla option in the filling and sometimes I add a splash of milk to the filling if it seems too thick.

http://www.online-cookbook.com/goto/cook/rpage/0011B9

#12 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds yummy!

Dh's blackberry pie turned into blackberry-peach-nectarine pie.  Sadly, almost half of the blackberries were turning moldy and had to be tossed. So the pie is probably a third each of each fruit. Oh darn, it sounds horrible. No, no, don't make me eat it. eyesroll.gif  

The cars are washed and look sooo much better.  Dd actually did a fair job of getting in there and actively washing without being prodded.  Ds, not so much.

The card I'm simply going to have to put on hold till I can get to it. 

Regardless, dh is pretty happy,  I think, having a few hours uninterrupted to play Marvel Heroes. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page