Are You Handy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love being handy. I fix almost everything that goes wrong with the house or car. Obviously some of it is too big for me but for the most part I do a lot of handy work and It is a lot of fun for me.

What about you? Are you handy?

#2 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Good for you!

I'm not handy, but fortunately my dh is.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

LOL my handiness may be out of need as my partner is NOT handy at all.

#4 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sorta. My stepdad taught me a lot just from watching him fix stuff, and when he couldn't hold tools anymore I would be his hands while he encouraged me to figure it out. smile.gif It doesn't come naturally to me though! I do give most repairs a try before I call someone...because I'm cheap and our budget is tight...with mixed results.
#5 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No. It must be fun to repair things. I wish I cud.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#6 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 AM

No. I was into that stuff as a kid, and even took shop in high school (very rare in my area at that time)...but I get easily freaked out about any task that I don't already know how to handle. I have done a few little things here and there, and I'm not afraid of a hammer or a wrench, but I tend to leave that stuff for dh, because he doesn't panic. (This also applies to other skills - I have an empty garden box right now, and a batch of yarn for learning to crochet that I haven't touched in six months, because it's not going quite right and I feel incompetent.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#7 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 02:28 PM

In terms of repairing stuff? No, not really. But I'll build shelves and stuff like that. I built custom shelves to turn our broom closet into a mini mud room, and it turned out great! And I'm handy with a sewing machine and at crafting -- not sure if stuff like that counts.

I've known people who will hire someone to do stuff like hang pictures (not giant ones or way up high either) -- that seems excessively unhandy to me, but different strokes, I guess.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#8 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Not even a little. I can't even stand going into the tool section in the store. It has a bunch of weird stuff that makes no sense.
#9 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

HECK YES I am handy!!!!

As a child, I would ask for power tools for presents.....and nothing has changed. I love being able to build, fix, create, etc. If I don't know how to do something, I'll read a book, watch a video, ask someone who knows....then I'll give it a try. There is a great sense of both freedom and satisfaction when you build something with your own hands. In fact, I am in the middle of remodeling a house we just bought. 

Handy!

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#10 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yep, I can make minor repairs. I can also stain, paint and sand with the best of them.
#11 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Heh. I wish. Well, I wish one of us was. As a kid I wanted to marry a carpenter (called John, and live in the Alps... I had specific life goals!), and I ended up marrying a man who can barely wield a hammer.

I'm handy at a few of the more traditionally feminine accomplishments. I can sew and mend and cook. I can (theoretically) knit and (slowly) quilt. I can paint a wall, as long as you don't want it done well or fast. :p I can garden well for a few weeks at a time before I lose interest and let it all go to pot.

I absolutely cannot build, though - I can't even drive a nail in. I'm not sure if it's a strength issue or just too much attachment to my thumbs, but I can never get the nail in, let alone straight. It's truly pathetic.

I bought a dresser online with the intention of sanding, painting and staining it... about eighteen months ago. It's still half-done in the garage. Apparently my talents don't lie in that direction either.

I do wish one of us were competent enough to build a chicken run. And I have utter and slack-jawed admiration for people who actually build their own houses, renovate their own kitchens and so on. Ah well. I de-stained the carpet yesterday; I can live off the smugness of that for some time.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#12 of 31 Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Sort of. Not build-your-own-kitchen handy but I can do little, basic things. Mostly cosmetic I guess but I can fix cupboard door hinges when they come apart and that sort of thing.

I'm spoilt by a having my dad 10 minutes away who can fix just about anything and has made, possibly, 50% of our furniture.

I can sew, knit, cook and garden, if those things count (well, even if they don't I can still do them but YKWIM).

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#13 of 31 Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'll take a crack at household stuff. I am happy to leave car repairs to the professionals. DH is really handy so he usually gets to household problems first.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I've known people who will hire someone to do stuff like hang pictures (not giant ones or way up high either) -- that seems excessively unhandy to me, but different strokes, I guess.

Or excessively busy with other things in their lives. I know a couple who did this when they moved into a new house. They each run their own companies and he also teaches at a college. They could hang their artwork themselves. They have other priorities for their spare time. 

#14 of 31 Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cannot operate a staple gun. Cannot properly hang a picture on a wall.

Saying I'm not handy is an understatement!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#15 of 31 Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 AM

DH is military, so I'm learning to be handy, but I will also literally inconvenience myself for months (like changing the lightbulb on the high ceiling above the stairwell....instead, I'll walk through the dark at night), if I'm not confident I'm going to do it right, or I can't figure out to do it.
journeymom likes this.
#16 of 31 Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM

Why, what do you need fixed?  :)  I was chief flashlight holder growing up, my dad taught me how to do everything.  The funny thing is I married a guy who is not a fixer.  He would hire someone to take out the trash if he could.  My dad is so offended by the fact that my dh isn't a fixer.  When we lived in our house I changed the faucets, repainted the whole inside, fixed the deck...all sorts of stuff.  That my dad taught me to do.  But dad would call it "dh's toolbox" and ask things like "Oh, nice towel bars, when did B put them in?"  DUDE!!  Why did you make me learn all this stuff if you just wanted me to marry a man who would do it all?  Why did I skip the pool for like half a summer to help you rebuild the deck???  It drive me nuts.  But I understand where my dad is coming from, men fix stuff in his world (he's 73) and I think that for as much as he wanted his girls to be self sufficient, he doesn't want them to have to be. 

BeckyBird likes this.
#17 of 31 Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 AM

mamalisa, I've run into that old-fashioned perspective before too. When DH and I moved into our first home, there were wire shelves that were positioned too low for our washer/dryer to fit under. I got a screwdriver and went to remove them (I mean really, it was 4 screws to take out, no biggie at all), and my MIL came up and said, "Oh, maybe we could ask FIL to do that." I said, "It's okay, I'm right here, I got it," and she said, "I know, but it'd make him feel helpful."

Nowadays, I would be the bigger person and ask him to do it, but that day I just couldn't bring myself to do that. For one thing, it felt patronizing, like letting a kid stir the batter and then saying, "Wow, you're such a big helper!" while you give it a few final stirs to get it actually mixed (which I totally do, but you know what I'm saying). And for another thing, DH and I spent tons of money on that house and it was our first place, and ... I guess I wanted to mark my territory. So I took those damned shelves out myself.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#18 of 31 Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpplus3 View Post

DH is military, so I'm learning to be handy, but I will also literally inconvenience myself for months (like changing the lightbulb on the high ceiling above the stairwell....instead, I'll walk through the dark at night), if I'm not confident I'm going to do it right, or I can't figure out to do it.

The lightbulb thing is me!!! How many dalia's does it take to screw in a lightbulb? NONE. 'Cause she ain't doing it!!

Don't get me wrong, I wish I was handy!! But my brain just doesn't work that way. I'm more of an "arteest" LOL.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#19 of 31 Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
For the most part. And sometimes it sucks, I really wish DH was *more* handy then he is so we could share the load.

I don't do cars past being able to put new fluids in and mostly change a tire if I'm desperate. DH however can do a few more things on the cars like actually change the oil (though he hates it and will work extra just to pay to have it done). And he can actually get the windshield wipers that don't like me off and changed (I've never had a problem before this vehicle).

And he is really good at hanging shelves and pictures frames that require math and levels winky.gif although part of that was my dad who taught him and the other part was his work.

He's an electrician, and works in the trades. So technically he should be more handy then he is...

But I'm the one who paints, pulls apart the washing machine, hangs regular pictures, puts furniture together, puts toys together, fixes the things around the house and other odd stuff like that. In fact I reno'd most of our other house by myself... DH helped a bit, my parents helped some and some we brought in friends or contractors. But for the most part it was I who did the majority. I guess it helps that the majority was paint or refinishing stuff innocent.gif

Oh and I can even do some basic electrical because you know the saying... "The painters house is never painted, the cobblers kids have no shoes...?" Yes well the electricians wife sometimes has to do her own electrical lol.gif
BeckyBird and LLQ1011 like this.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#20 of 31 Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

The lightbulb thing is me!!! How many dalia's does it take to screw in a lightbulb? NONE. 'Cause she ain't doing it!!

Don't get me wrong, I wish I was handy!! But my brain just doesn't work that way. I'm more of an "arteest" LOL.

I remember calling up a friend after 3 weeks of no lights in my kitchen, asking her how I change a little bulb, and how I figure out what kind of bulb to use LOL. It was one of those chandelier bulbs, but it had no words on it or anything, so I wasn't sure what wattage I needed. Needless to say, she did it -oops-
#21 of 31 Old 07-18-2013, 08:09 AM

Why does it seem like the handy women have less than handy husbands? That's my situation too--I love to build and fix, but DH hates that kind of stuff. Which really sucks right now since we still have a lot of work left to do on our new place!

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

#22 of 31 Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Why does it seem like the handy women have less than handy husbands? That's my situation too--I love to build and fix, but DH hates that kind of stuff. Which really sucks right now since we still have a lot of work left to do on our new place!

Because if I needed a handy guy I would have married one :)  Also, why bother doing it when you know your wife will handle it? grrr.

BeckyBird likes this.
#23 of 31 Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

Because if I needed a handy guy I would have married one :)  Also, why bother doing it when you know your wife will handle it? grrr.

LOL seriously!

I can hear him now

Random person: "Hey I think you need new windshield wipers."

my UNhandyman: "No worries I let llq know and she will take care of it."

Random person: "Wait she cooks cleans takes care of your kids goes to school and has a side job and still fixes stuff for you?"

my unhandyman: "Yes! I do almost nothing and she still rubs my back if I ask her too"

Random person: "That's awesome!"

my unhandyman: "I KNOW"

BeckyBird likes this.
#24 of 31 Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

Also, why bother doing it when you know your wife will handle it? grrr.

This is my life lol!!

"Unhandyman" is hilarious! On the plus side, DH is awesome with computers and technology, and I'm not so much, which is why we make a good team.

#25 of 31 Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
On the plus side, DH is awesome with computers and technology, and I'm not so much, which is why we make a good team.

That's very true. In this day and age, the ability to set up a computer, upgrade a soundcard, diagnose why MoviePlayer is Doing That Thing Again etc definitely counts as handy.

journeymom and BeckyBird like this.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#26 of 31 Old 07-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

That's very true. In this day and age, the ability to set up a computer, upgrade a soundcard, diagnose why MoviePlayer is Doing That Thing Again etc definitely counts as handy.

Haha, so true! I could try something over and over, and get nowhere. As soon as he looks at the computer, the problem is solved.....almost as if by magic! Which makes me wonder if he really is a cyborg after all.......headscratch.gif

#27 of 31 Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

On the plus side, DH is awesome with computers and technology, and I'm not so much, which is why we make a good team.
This all falls to me too eyesroll.gif

As does hooking up the tv and game systems and such... He says both the PS3 and Wii are broken... I didn't set them up... but then I haven't tried to fix them either ROTFLMAO.gif

And when we bought our new computer and I was talking to the guy in the store he said we could have been talking in Yiddish for all he understood.

Gotta love him though and in a sport knowledge contest he'd win hands down every time!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#28 of 31 Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delightedbutterfly View Post

This all falls to me too eyesroll.gif

As does hooking up the tv and game systems and such... He says both the PS3 and Wii are broken... I didn't set them up... but then I haven't tried to fix them either ROTFLMAO.gif

And when we bought our new computer and I was talking to the guy in the store he said we could have been talking in Yiddish for all he understood.

Gotta love him though and in a sport knowledge contest he'd win hands down every time!

LOL! I think your husband and my boyfriend may be the same person. He thinks everything is broken.
#29 of 31 Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 AM

Yep I usually fix stuff. I even change my own brakes!

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#30 of 31 Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 AM

Im pretty house- handy. I can change lightbulbs (and fixtures!), do anything that requires the use of a drill, paint, sand, stain, small plumbing repairs, etc. 

I cannot change a tire, but I can add oil to my car :)

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page