Someone drugged me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-12-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

A coworker gave me secretly drugged food at lunch break at work.  I ate a little, it tasted bad, so I threw it out.  A short bit later I felt drugged, but came out of it after a few minutes.  I told my boss, got the food out of the garbage, and asked the boss to call the nurse.  Neither of them knew what to do, the nurse didn't even want to come down and see me.  So I called the police after I got home.  They took the food for forensic crime lab testing.  If they find drugs, which I'm sure they will, we know exactly who is responsible.  The perp singled me out very deliberately--I'll save the details. 

I've never ever taken illegal drugs, but I read up on several 'date-rape' drugs and my best guess is ketamine.  Since this was the middle of the work day I don't think there was a planned rape.  I think he (possibly they) wanted to make it look like I took drugs on purpose at work to get me in trouble.  The perp seems to have bipolar disorder, or some other reason he has grandiose thoughts, and likes to mess with people. 

What should I do?

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#2 of 27 Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Um...it sounds like you've done everything you could. You called the police and told your boss. What more can you do?

#3 of 27 Old 08-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Have you sought medical care? I hope your boss, the police, and your medical care providers will all be supports to you.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#4 of 27 Old 08-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yikes! How long until your food tests come back? How is your boss being with all of this?
#5 of 27 Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 PM

No advice, it sounds like you did everything you could (did you write and keep a very detailed report of the incident?), but wow!

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#6 of 27 Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 PM

OMG. How scary! I think you have already done everything you can.  The next steps would be to keep my food right under my nose all day long, stay away from the co-worker as much as possible, and probably not let on to them about the situation until the results come back and let the police handle it. 

#7 of 27 Old 08-13-2013, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yikes!

I just found a site that said "the basic K taste is pretty much the same as getting hairspray in your mouth - a distinct semi-sour/semi-chemically/semi-metallic blend of flavour that will trigger most living beings' repulsion reflex." Does that sound about right? (Of course, I guess it'd depend on the flavours of the food that was drugged...)

I'm sorry to hear about this. :/ How scary. Stay safe!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#8 of 27 Old 08-13-2013, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

I wrote everything down.  Work switched me to a different department, which is nice, I don't have to see the perp.  The food testing could take a month.  I went to the doctor, there was nothing they could do.  At first my boss was kind of dismissive, but upper management took me more seriously.  The description of ketamine taste sounds about right.  And given that most date rape drugs have no taste, this one definitely did. 

#9 of 27 Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 AM

Hmmm, it sounds like something is missing in the investigation! (not from you, from the investigators) When you made the 'report' they should have required you to get blood work done.........it's going be very different from 'putting something in your food and it was thrown out' ------to......you ate the poison and it's in your blood stream. You'll want to get copies of whatever your doctor did for you.........I know you wrote that they couldn't do anything......but maybe they took a urine sample? maybe they did some basic neuro response tests? anything that can help you if you end up having to go the route of taking this perp to court for a restraining order or for damages. Good Luck!

Neera and EarthRootsStarSoul like this.

broc1.gif
#10 of 27 Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm surprised the nurse didn't want to come. I hope your comapny doesn't find it more of a headache than anything else. I once got harassed by a colleague at work. My boss and owner said to me What can you do if someone likes you? You can't stop them from liking you. But this wasn't exactly a v. professional co.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#11 of 27 Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Wow I'm shocked! If the test results will take a month I would make a report ASAP instead of waiting

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#12 of 27 Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would file a police report ASAP. It is so fortunate to tasted something wrong! So glad you are okay.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#13 of 27 Old 08-13-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

I went to the doctor a couple days later, but they didn't do any body fluids testing.  They did do a basic neurological screening.  I have the paperwork.  That's one thing I'm mad about is that the nurse didn't want to see me or suggest they send me to the doctor right away.  I was still under the influence at that point and kind of freaked out and not thinking straight for myself. 

applejuice and Neera like this.

#14 of 27 Old 08-13-2013, 01:33 PM

This whole thing is really raising flags.........(again, your work place and their actions)........the incident should have been treated like any normal standard work place injury........SO the big question is why did they NOT do anything.......Do you have any proof that you spoke with your supervisor or your nurse? or is there anyway you can get a copy of your work injury report? And I ask the big PROOF question bc ..........what if you are not the first person this happened to? What if there is no record of you making a complaint or going to the nurse? And the overall big question (that yes, you do need to consider in this day and age........) how secure is your job if you continue down this road (YES, safety is the most important thing, but if you end up with the loss of a job, that is not good)...........IF, there is proof of you talking with your supervisor or making a complaint and seeing the nurse then this would be a matter to take up with Human Resources, depending on the size of the company.  I'm so sorry that this person did this to you (it makes you wonder what he was planning though)....... Keep us posted.

applejuice likes this.

broc1.gif
#15 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been six months and the police are still waiting for the state crime lab to test the food.  Now they say it could take a year.  :irked

#16 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

And are you and the suspect still working there together?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#17 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

And are you and the suspect still working there together?

No, that was just a summer job.  I'm in college.

#18 of 27 Old 02-12-2014, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

It's good that you're not still around the person then! But it sucks that you're still waiting on the test results to find out what actually happened. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#19 of 27 Old 02-27-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRootsStarSoul View Post

Well, it's been six months and the police are still waiting for the state crime lab to test the food.  Now they say it could take a year.  :irked

The statutes of limitation will run out by then. That is what they are counting on. You should have kept a sample and sent it to a private lab. It does not take a year. 

Did you go to the DA?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#20 of 27 Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

So who is holding it up, and what is their motivation?  I'll try to contact the DA tomorrow.

#21 of 27 Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM

I would try to find an attorney who deals with sexual harassment in the work place - they may be able to fire up the lab.  It does not take a year to analyze a chemical in a food item and produce a report.

Get everything in writing including the guy who told you it would take a year -?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#22 of 27 Old 02-27-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

I just recently called an attorney and explained the situation to the assistant, she put me on hold to ask, and came back and said they won't take it.  She gave me the number to the state bar referral service, and the person there was like "You want to sue the police???"  I'm like, "er, uhh, I don't think so... I don't know.  Why won't they just do their job?"  And then he said that all their lawyers charge a consultation fee and they will want it up front.  So I said nevermind. 

#23 of 27 Old 02-28-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

I called the DA and talked to the secretary.  She tried to look up my last name in their computer but there was no record.  She said the DA won't talk to me unless I file a police report.  I'm like, "I filed a report six months ago!"  She said I needed to talk to the chief of police of the city.  So I called the police back and their secretary said I need to leave a message for the lieutenant.  I asked why I can't talk to the chief of police, and she said he would just refer me to the lieutenant.  (I don't know what the difference is.)  So I left a voicemail for the lieutenant. 

#24 of 27 Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Wow. Sorry to know this is taking so long.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#25 of 27 Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, some justice system we have.  The state is too cheap to hire another chemist. 

#26 of 27 Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM

This guy needs to be charged and have some sort of record. He will likely re-offend especially since hardly anybody made a big deal about your incident. Keep knocking on doors and phoning ppl until you get this creep.

ETA: i dont normally call ppl names but i just imagine him hurting someone else gets my blood going.

applejuice and abiyhayil like this.
#27 of 27 Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

I have zero faith that the food will ever be tested, and if it is, zero faith that the police will handle the case properly.  I've given up. 

applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page