Do you bring your own snacks to the movies? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Awesome thread! I sneak in my own food too. Mostly because the food they sell there is so unhealthy, aside from being over-priced. There is one theater though in San Francisco (Kabuki) where they have healthier snacks and good coffee, and they even have an "adult" section where you can buy wine and beer and bring it in the theater with you. I still wish they had better food options. We can only encourage people to eat healthier by providing them with healthier options in public and entertainment spaces. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son plays travel baseball and there's a lot of fields with a "no carry ins" policy.  I get that they are trying to support their club off concession sales, but when it's 95 in July and you have 4 games scheduled back to back with a half hour for lunch, you're batshit crazy if you think I'm paying $2.50 for all the bottles of water my player and husband need on the field as well as $4 for a burger and $1 for a snack size bag of chips.  People need to think realistically about what their customers need and want.  

Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

My son plays travel baseball and there's a lot of fields with a "no carry ins" policy.  I get that they are trying to support their club off concession sales, but when it's 95 in July and you have 4 games scheduled back to back with a half hour for lunch, you're batshit crazy if you think I'm paying $2.50 for all the bottles of water my player and husband need on the field as well as $4 for a burger and $1 for a snack size bag of chips.  People need to think realistically about what their customers need and want.  

Wow, that's insane. At the movies, at least people who want to follow the rules but don't want to spend extra money can just eat before/after, since movies are fairly short and not physically taxing for the audience. But to restrict athletes from bringing their own water/food for fuel, and then not giving enough of a break between games to allow them to get it elsewhere? That seems like extortion or something -- I'd be furious!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
The hiv needle seems to be an Internet hoax.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/pinprick.asp

I also can't believe how messy people are. I tend to collect as much of it as I can as I pass. The staff always seem happy to have someone helping.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

When it comes to water, I say break the rules (I would).

And like limabean says, one can plan to "survive" a two hour movie.  The field example of above?  I would sneak stuff in and I am pretty much a rule follower.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
The hiv needle seems to be an Internet hoax.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/pinprick.asp

It does sound hoaxy, but Head Office certainly believed it, apparently on the say-so of the cinema itself (there were official memos and stuff in the office, and we were warned not to talk about it for fear of scaring off customers); and an acquaintance of mine claimed she knew the victim. So... who knows. The Snopes article does have several mentions of similar incidents happening, so it's not outside the realm of possibility. Either way, we weren't about to start digging around for disease-ridden needles with our bare fingers. Heck, plunging our hands into the depths of the seats at the best of times would have made us quail. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
It is so insane they thought to ask you to do that!!!

This thread does make me want to go see a movie.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Funny, this thread makes me make to go buy movie popcorn at the theater and bring it home and watch a movie on my couch.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 PM

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier (haven't been here much lately).

I never sneak in snacks. I only go to the movies once or twice a year, and the popcorn is part of the experience for me. I also figure it's their theatre, and they can make their rules. If I don't want to eat what they sell, I don't have to eat anything. While I haven't looked into it recently, it's also my understanding that most theatres make more of their profit from the concession than from the ticket sales.

These days, I sometimes get into the movie for free, as ds1 works at a theatre, and free admission is one of his perks, and his manager is often willing to extend that to his immediate family. If I'm not paying to get in, that's just one more reason to pay for our food.

I didn't finish reading the thread, but did see some references to the mess. The level of mess in theatres is somewhat terrifying at times. I know that aspect of his job hasn't improved ds1's opinion of humans, in general.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Storm Bride! Where've you been? I've been wondering about you. How are you doing?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 PM

Hi, Smokering! :joy

I've been cutting back some on the computer time, and spending a somewhat higher percentage of it on Facebook. Mostly, though, I actually closed the MDC tab in Firefox, so I don't think to come here as much. lol

Life is pretty good, although summer ended kind of abruptly and I'm nowhere near ready for the start of "school" in a few days.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Nice to see you Storm Bride! smile.gif

Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 PM

Nice to see you, too, limabean.

BTW - did I ever tell you I love your avatar?

Old 09-02-2013, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

Nice to see you, too, limabean.

BTW - did I ever tell you I love your avatar?

Thank you! There's something so tough-yet-vulnerable about Freddie Mercury that I find very appealing. I love that pic of him.

Tags
Break Your Own Geodes
User Tag List