Happy Autumn Equinox! Do you notice odd signs that summer is over? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-22-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It's autumn! 

I've been aware of the typical traditional signs of the end of summer. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the days are getting shorter - it was dusk while we were eating dinner. The squirrels are busy, busy, busy.  The leaves are changing colours. The farmer's market stalls have lots of squash and pumpkin and gourds. There were all the back-to-school sales and the dc started school again. So the change in seasons is not a secret or a surprise to me, yk? 

But yesterday, an odd sign occurred to me when I was doing laundry. I noticed it was taking way longer than usual. It was the first time in months that I had to spend time matching up all the socks and hunting for strays. We're barefoot for most of the summer. 

For some weird reason, it really brought home to me that it's fall and made me a little sad, or at least nostalgic. 

Anyone else notice odd or untraditional - or maybe modern - signs of the seasonal change? 

#2 of 16 Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I turned on the porch light a couple nights ago because we were going to my grandnephew's birthday party dinner, and it would be dark coming home.

Most of the windows are closed at night now, but the season still hasn't turned entirely until the bathroom window closes.

Yes, and more socks.  Shoes that actually cover my feet completely.  Flannel sheets feeling cozy again.  

The slugs are back and I am once again regretting not getting ducks again this year.  Next year for sure.  I think.

I saw swallows yesterday, so the season is still pleasant enough.  When the swallows are gone, summer is truly done.

Neera likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 16 Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

oh yes. most certainly i notice.

late evening and early morning - a 'chill' in the air. just pulled out my sweat shirt. 

noticed not wearing my summer nightwear but pulling out winter ones. actually noticed dd doing that too.

noticed now it gets dark before i am home from work. that used to not be true.

notice more and more the acorn woodpeckers hiding the acorns.

looking for my blankets. my feet get really cold in winter. i hate sheet of any kind next to my skin. so i sleep on a blanket with one or two blankets covering me instead of comforter. velour. 

for myself there's more of a feeling of 'settling'. i have very strong emotional reactions to change in weather. during spring and summer i am excited and happy and running around - every effervescent. come fall/winter i go into a more introspective frame of mind. i curl up and snuggle down more. i tend to stay home more. 

and ugh!! halloween decorations in stores already. 

Neera likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 16 Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

and ugh!! halloween decorations in stores already. 

I've seen Christmas stuff out already too!

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 16 Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my favorite season!

The weather here has changed as well, cooler days, crisp mornings and the rain is back after a long summer of almost drought like conditions.

(Kohls has already put up their Christmas trees here, seems they should wait till November)

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#6 of 16 Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I have been waiting so long for autumn!  We got a set of Currier-and-Ives-ish season prints from my parents years ago, and I rotate them out in my entry on the day the season changes.  My favorite signs of fall are:

- being able to take my dog for walks without worrying about her heat stroking

- hearing the geese; LOVE the way the geese sound, maybe because the nearby pond is not in my yard and they're not fighting me for the territory

- time for care packages for DS2 again -- bittersweet, but he wants to be where he is, so it's a happy thing

- thinking that a fire in the wood stove will feel good soon

- my books don't swell, and the covers of our paperbacks don't curl any more!

- my favorite clothes don't feel too heavy

- my favorite foods don't feel too heavy

Happy Fall!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#7 of 16 Old 09-24-2013, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I've had to start blow drying my hair in the mornings, since it's so chilly in the morning I can't just let it air dry. ;-) But I love fall, so I don't mind. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#8 of 16 Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 PM

It has been below freezing most mornings. BRRR. Good news...only 269 days until Summer!

Neera likes this.
#9 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post

It has been below freezing most mornings. BRRR. Good news...only 269 days until Summer!

I couldn't get ur post out of my mind. Lol. So funny. I wonder if you have SAD like me?

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#10 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

I couldn't get ur post out of my mind. Lol. So funny. I wonder if you have SAD like me?

i used to have really bad SAD. I grew up in a tropical country moved to a place which didn’t see the sun till after 9 and then back to CA. Fall and winter were terrible times for me. Dark and drungy and SAD.

Till i had a couple of traumatic events back to back for years. When i reached the point of F*** it!! I’ve had enough - it was middle of autumn with winter coming on. So i had my awakening around autumn/winter and now they mean so much to me. For the first time i saw the beauty in the dark, dull, drungy days. I saw the beauty in the emptiness, the cold rainy days (no snow).

My SAD changed. it turned into PAD. People affective disorder. Where if i stayed home too much even with dd and didn’t interact - I'd go into depression. i needed isolation to recover, but i needed people to stay positive. to be inspired. Too much people and too much isolation was bad. But its very hard for me to define that borderline.

the next winter i discovered my emotional states changed during the season. Mainly spring when i am full of excitement and wonder looking forward to what is going to happen in life, summer is fat and full, fall again is excitement for dont know what  and winter is introspection. but again this happened at a place where the summers are hot and winters cold but no snow.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I feel so out of the loop here in Florida. It gets down to the 60s at night. Every once in a while I unconsciously imagine a cool breeze like I would be feeling back in my native Nebraska, then snap back to reality with a rainy day or hot sunny day. But I do notice the sun setting between dinner and bedtime (6 or 7 something) instead of waiting until after 8, and darkness in the morning until roughly breakfast time. Tonight my daughter noticed lots of leaves on the ground in the backyard.

I guess you could say I'm mourning fall as I knew it for most of my life after moving to Florida three years ago. To look on the bright side, when it's not raining it's sunny! (which isn't saying much because it's still rainy season)

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#12 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

We have to keep the air conditioner in the car on, even when the heat is on, or the windows fog up.  Soon there will be those odd days where you have the heat/airconditioner/defrost on full blast and have to crack the windows.  Until, of course, the humidity outside exceeds the humidity inside and the air conditioner/defrost craps out and I have to resort to manually wiping down the windshield.  Strange days.  Not there yet.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#13 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 10:54 PM

It has stayed below 100 degrees all week. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#14 of 16 Old 09-26-2013, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

i used to have really bad SAD. I grew up in a tropical country moved to a place which didn’t see the sun till after 9 and then back to CA. Fall and winter were terrible times for me. Dark and drungy and SAD.

Till i had a couple of traumatic events back to back for years. When i reached the point of F*** it!! I’ve had enough - it was middle of autumn with winter coming on. So i had my awakening around autumn/winter and now they mean so much to me. For the first time i saw the beauty in the dark, dull, drungy days. I saw the beauty in the emptiness, the cold rainy days (no snow).

My SAD changed. it turned into PAD. People affective disorder. Where if i stayed home too much even with dd and didn’t interact - I'd go into depression. i needed isolation to recover, but i needed people to stay positive. to be inspired. Too much people and too much isolation was bad. But its very hard for me to define that borderline.

the next winter i discovered my emotional states changed during the season. Mainly spring when i am full of excitement and wonder looking forward to what is going to happen in life, summer is fat and full, fall again is excitement for dont know what  and winter is introspection. but again this happened at a place where the summers are hot and winters cold but no snow.

My sil does social work specializing in rural development in developing countries. Through her experiences I got to think about what rain means to poor farmers. Since then I look at wet, cold days differently but somehow I am not able to shake the gloominess I feel during the onset of fall. Sorry, OP, I know your thread is about rejoicing the season. I grew up in a hot climate as well then lived in a moderately cold place and then in a cold place but was back in hot climate at some point and back in a cold place, so it has been hard adjusting to dark, cold days. But I kind of realize why there are festivities in this weather and food traditions for colder weather and I welcome those fun things. :^)

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#15 of 16 Old 09-26-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My sil does social work specializing in rural development in developing countries. Through her experiences I got to think about what rain means to poor farmers. Since then I look at wet, cold days differently but somehow I am not able to shake the gloominess I feel during the onset of fall. Sorry, OP, I know your thread is about rejoicing the season. I grew up in a hot climate as well then lived in a moderately cold place and then in a cold place but was back in hot climate at some point and back in a cold place, so it has been hard adjusting to dark, cold days. But I kind of realize why there are festivities in this weather and food traditions for colder weather and I welcome those fun things. :^)

No need to apologise! I also struggle with SAD but I usually feel it much later in the depths of winter. 

I like the crisp, golden days that autumn brings. For that matter, I like the snowy bright cold days of winter too. I don't like the endless gloom that descends though or the slush that I slog through for days and weeks or the dreary suffocating dry overheated interiors of winter. 

So I understand completely.  

Neera likes this.
#16 of 16 Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

But I kind of realize why there are festivities in this weather and food traditions for colder weather and I welcome those fun things. :^)

i really think we have brought this on us. We have forgotten to eat seasonally. I think (seeing how food affects dd and me) if we ate the food around us (though i live in the agricultural capital of the world) - focused on greens, orange colours and sour and root veggies like the squashes, carrots, oranges and greens like the spinach crop - lemonade and salads in winter rather than summer -  i think we would do much better psychologically. I think we need to eat it for some years before we would see any effect.

About the festivities - its kinda all harvest related isnt it? Whether fall or spring.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page