how many of us oldies are still around? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

#181 of 188 Old 05-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Anyone kept up with ParisMaman? Or MargOfArabia?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#182 of 188 Old 06-02-2014, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just stopped to peek in for the first time in a long time and happened to see this thread-- it's nice to see lots of names I recognize!

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#183 of 188 Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I bought my first mothering at a HFS in SoCal in 1976 and I had a lifetime subscription. It seems like yesterday that I was a homebirth, breastfeeding, clothdiapering, nonvaxing, homeschooling, raw vegan young mother waiting for my quarterly fix of MotheringMagazine. I have every issue.

As soon as my middle boy set up our home internet access and left for college, I logged on to see if Mothering was on the internet and it was! I signed in and have been a faithful poster ever since. My husband of 27 yrs was happy to see me so happy.

I am a widow, a mother of grown children and proud grandmother.

I am still learning. I do not know everything. I post to help other mothers who ask for help.

What has surprised me here is that so many mothers are contentious and judgemental, while I only share my opinions and experiences as I see them. Very strange.

Last edited by applejuice; 06-21-2014 at 03:49 PM.
#184 of 188 Old 06-15-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post
Quoteriginally Posted by StrawberryFields 

I am not really and OLDIE, oldie, but I joined early in 2005 when I was pregnant with my DS, who is now turning 8. I take long breaks from MDC and nowadays I can barely find my way around. I still read regularly but haven't posted in years. So much has changed for me, and raising older children is such an overwhelming experience. I feel like the decisions I make now are so much more complex and profound than they were when I was merely chattering on about homebirth supplies and nightweaning techniques. It is hard to engage in discussions with others when I feel like I have no idea what I am doing myself about 90% of the time.

My ds1 was born in 2005 too...i didnt discover mdc until he was about 6mths old.

I hear you on the complexity of raising an older child. I find the issue become much more specific, and its hard to discuss them on a forum in great depth.  I also find the AP approach becomes somewhat watered down, and less obvious. My own AP group insists that the issues are not just specific to babies and toddlers, but yet they  wont allow discussion of anything that relates to older children-GAPS, ADHD, educational approaches, and so on and so forth. Yet, we are still the same moms (parents) with the same babies. Its just the years have passed and there are different issues. We still want to  parent with sensitivity. But its hard to know who to ask. Parents are all dealing with  such different issues.
I started to move away from the board when dd2 was born, partly because of the changes in format, but also because I had less of a need to "hang out." I'd come in for specific questions....still an amazing resource.

But I also have found a group of like minded parents--some identify as AP/NFL, others don't--in connection with dd1's elementary school, which is a public school alternative program requiring a lot of volunteer hours.

The idea of a group not allowing discussion of an age group is pretty much what keeps me away from organized groups.

I don't feel that much like an oldie--when I joined the oldies all seemed to be "pre-crash"--but then again 2004 makes it close to ten years.

Mom of two girls.
#185 of 188 Old 06-15-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lol

Joined in 2006.

Mom of two girls.
#186 of 188 Old 06-15-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by claras_mom View Post
But I also have found a group of like minded parents--some identify as AP/NFL, others don't--in connection with dd1's elementary school, which is a public school alternative program requiring a lot of volunteer hours.
I have that too and that is part of why I stopped posting as much when my DC started school.

Now that she is 12 I am noticing more and more parents have really broadened their interests and my friend-set is rich in people doing amazing non-parenting related things. This is great in many, many ways but I am finding myself back here to talk parenting because that's still an interest for me. I LIKE that my local friends and I don't sit around talking about our kids all day and, yet, I still want my outlet, which I can get here.

I also have a toddler and that parent set is still totally interested in talking about having kids, schools, discipline, stages, nutrition and etc. but they are mostly new parents and I often feel I should hold back a little of the BTDT (been there done that) stuff so I really just listen.

I observe my parents and how they talk about their kids -- it's jobs, travel, marriages, grand kids, visits. It's interesting to look down the road at the future for us.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#187 of 188 Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Still here but I only post in Understanding Circ. for the most part.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#188 of 188 Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm not old. But I'm glad to recognize so many names.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Tags
Mothers In All But Name Grandmothers Aunts Sisters Friends Strangers Nannies , The Friendships Of Women

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page