I'm curious, which of us are weird? :) - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Its the middle of the night and you get up to pee. Whats your routine?
Turn on the light 10 100.00%
Shut the door 10 100.00%
Flush 25 100.00%
Wash your hands 23 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-06-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

So lets say you go up to pee in the middle of the night. Which of the following do you do (most of the time) during middle of the night bathroom breaks?

dh ad I are complete opposites here. Who is the weird one?

Bonus question: If you fell asleep on the couch accidentally, when you eventually woke up to move to bed, do you stop to brush your teeth on the way, or do you just go to bed?

eta: crap, forgot the add an option for none of the above! Doh.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 22 Old 10-06-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My husband doesn't flush, but I usually do.  I only shut the door if I turn on the light, and I usually don't turn on the light.  I do wash my hands and get a drink of water at the same time.  And when I fall asleep in the chair in the living room, when I get up to go to bed, I always brush my teeth, although I don't usually floss at that point.

#3 of 22 Old 10-06-2013, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
When I get up to see in the middle of the night I don't turn on the light, flush or shut the door. I do wash my hands and almost always have a drink. When I was sleeping in the main bedroom and using the en suite I would shut the door as well.

I never fall asleep on the couch so not sure what I'd do.

ETA - DH shuts the door, turns on the light, flushes and washes his hands. Although he says he doesn't flush if our 3.5yo ( who he co-sleeps with) is restless.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 22 Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I do all of the above, usually. Sometimes, I skip turning on the light. I also wouldn't bother to shut the door, except that my 20 year old son lives at home, and it's less potentially embarrassing all around if I shut it.

I definitely stop to brush my teeth if I fall asleep on the couch (almost never happens). I used to go brush my teeth before bed when I was so drunk I couldn't remember my own name. Aside from the first day or two after a c-section, and a few times in the first few weeks after our son was stillborn, I don't think I've ever forgotten to brush my teeth before bed. It's a thing.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 22 Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Uh, I do none of the above at night. Once upon a time I would flush and probably wash my hands (don't worry, during the day, I am an avid hand washer) but now there are several sleeping children I do not want to wake.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 22 Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

I was dumb and totally spaced on the none of the above poll option! Doh. I'm NONE. I hate getting up at night but I also hate feeling anything whatsoever in my bladder when I'm trying to sleep. Major major pet peeve. If I wake up too much, its harder to get back to sleep so without even anything to do with worrying about disturbing kids, I mostly care about keeping my own sensory stimulation to a minimum. Sometimes my weirdo family members will even leave the light on (I think that's just dd, so she doesn't have to go back to her room in the dark) and first thing I do when I get to the bathroom is turn the light OFF! (We dont have a master bath) flushing can wait till morning, as can washing. (Oh.. that can make for a pretty gross first thing in the morning toilet during pregnancies though) but when I'm tired and want to get back to sleep as soon as possible, unnecessary lights/sounds are out of the question! I always think dh is so weird when he falls asleep on the couch and brushes his teeth on the way to bed. I'm just like, ya know, morning is just a couple hours away, can't it wait? I guess for me, any nightwakings I may have, my #1 priority is getting back to sleep as soon as possible!

Oh, here's another weird one. My mom will get up to go to the bathroom, bring her phone with her and play a turn in words with friends, or whatever random game. I'll get up at 7:30 and see my mom played her turn 4 hours ago and I'm like, really mom?  I'm as addicted to my phone as the next person, but I don't have to look at in the middle of the night!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#7 of 22 Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I do all of that except shut the door.
#8 of 22 Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I think you can delete the poll and add it back.  I've done the same thing myself--left out my own response.  You are not alone--or weird!

None of the above.  Sometimes flush, though.

Yes to brushing teeth on the way to bed.  But wait, I never fall asleep on the couch.  Still, I've gotten up in the middle of the night to brush my teeth after forgetting (being so focussed on getting the girls' teeth brushed and al going to bed together) because I hate the feel of my mouth if I forget.  That might be weird.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#9 of 22 Old 10-07-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have a night light in the bathroom for this purpose, so no, i do not turn on the light (hurts my eyes, wakes me up). I dont bother closing the door unless a guest is in the guest room. I dont always flush because of the noise...dont want to wake anyone up!...i always rinse my hands with water, not always soap.

#10 of 22 Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

another none of the above. usually.

but now i live with room mates so i close the door. 

sometimes i wash my hands.

many times though i am tired and want to go back to bed, but another part of me is going weeeee. lets do something. read or plan a project. i wouldnt call that insomnia though coz i am not worrying about something. just enjoying the night. tho' i do have insomnia sometimes. so LiLStar i can relate to ur mom. and then i go back to bed and i have the best sleep ever. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 22 Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 PM

Shut the door and flush.  I don't wash my hands.  Don't turn the light on.  I use a night light, unless the moon is bright enough.  

It's been a while since I fell asleep on the sofa.  I'd probably skip brushing my teeth. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#12 of 22 Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

So lets say you go up to pee in the middle of the night. Which of the following do you do (most of the time) during middle of the night bathroom breaks?

dh ad I are complete opposites here. Who is the weird one?

Bonus question: If you fell asleep on the couch accidentally, when you eventually woke up to move to bed, do you stop to brush your teeth on the way, or do you just go to bed?

eta: crap, forgot the add an option for none of the above! Doh.

I don't turn on the light because it also turns on the loud fan, but we do have a nightlight in the bathroom.  I wash, of course, and close the door.  Flushing kinda depends on what's in the toilet, how many times it's been used without flushing, and how soundly my very light sleeper toddler is sleeping- it's not worth it if it means I'm gonna be sitting on my son's bedroom floor for 40-50 minutes getting him back to sleep.  lol 

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#13 of 22 Old 10-09-2013, 05:34 PM

I don't turn on the light because we leave the bathroom lights on at night specifically so no one is stumbling around in the dark in the middle of the night. I also don't close the door; I use the master bathroom, so it's not likely anyone is going to be walking in on me.

The only thing I'm certain to do is flush. It really grosses me out when others don't flush. :-(

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#14 of 22 Old 10-10-2013, 07:18 AM

Funny poll!

We all go to bed at the same time, so there's never been any couch sleeping.

If one of us gets up in the middle of the night, we don't flush (if we've urinated; the "other" always gets flushed!).  But, we DO put a few drops of "Just A Drop" into the toilet, to be polite, and the lid is ALWAYS put down.

We have motion-activated lights at the floor level throughout our home.  So, we have light to see (they are also tinted red, so no blasts to our night vision!).

#15 of 22 Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 AM

I always turn on the light- I use to live out in a farming area and we would find dead/close to dead small animals in the toilet and now I have a great fear of not checking the toilet before using it.

I shut the door since the light would disturb people.

Out of habit I flush and wash my hands. 

I do not always remember to brush my teeth if I am not following my normal evening routine.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#16 of 22 Old 10-10-2013, 11:46 AM

I don't turn on the light. We get enough ambiant light from the bathroom window that it's unnecessary. I do shut the door so I don't wake anyone flushing or washing my hands. I would brush my teeth if I fell asleep without doing it.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#17 of 22 Old 10-10-2013, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Our bedroom/closet/bathroom is one big room with no doors, so I turn on my closet light when I use the bathroom so that there's just enough light to see but not enough to hurt my eyes or wake me up too much. I usually don't flush, unless DH and I have peed several times. I don't close the door or wash hands.

I always wash my face/floss/brush/do mouthwash right after dinner so that if I'm super tired on the couch later I can just stumble off to bed without doing that. But if for some reason I don't brush after dinner, I will brush on my way to bed, even if it's the middle of the night.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#18 of 22 Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 PM

Am I really reading this right, only 64% wash their hands after using the toilet?  uhoh3.gif

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#19 of 22 Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackstone444 View Post

Am I really reading this right, only 64% wash their hands after using the toilet?  uhoh3.gif

this only applies to middle of the night habits. For me, getting hands wet, hearing the water running, would wake me up further, and make it harder for me to fall back asleep.

#20 of 22 Old 10-11-2013, 01:30 PM

:D  I wash my hands throughout the day.  Running water over my hands would wake me up even more and having severe sleep issues I avoid that at all cost. Pardon the TMI, but if it was poop I'd wash.  Ew!  My understanding is that urine is pretty harmless. And I'll be showering in 4 hours anyway. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post

We have motion-activated lights at the floor level throughout our home.  So, we have light to see (they are also tinted red, so no blasts to our night vision!).

Very cool!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#21 of 22 Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 AM

I don't turn on the light, close the door or flush.  I have trouble falling asleep once I'm up, so I try to make it with as little disruption as possible.  I'm weird though, I will brush my teeth at any point in the day if I feel like I need to.  I'm a compulsive tooth brusher.  Our sink is outside of the actual bathroom though, so it takes more time and effort to go to the sink in the dark in the middle of the night.  But if I wake up after 4am or so I brush my teeth before i head back to bed.  

#22 of 22 Old 10-12-2013, 11:18 PM

No lights, door open, don't flush. Yes wash hands.

I usually 'go' two or three times at night and am the first to get up and 'go' in the morning. I don't flush throughout the night but will flush when I go first thing in the morning. It saves water. No one else has to see it.

If I fell asleep on the couch I would definitely brush my teeth before moving to bed. I cannot stand to go to sleep without brushing  my teeth. Even when I've had too much to drink (which is pretty much never anymore, but back in the day I could crash out on the floor with my shoes still on but I'd always stumble into the bathroom to brush my teeth first).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page