Silly, utterly frivolous and impossible wishes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

I want a pair of ruby slippers, *just* like Dorothy's in the movie--the heels, the shape, the little sparkle bow.  No, not red "sparkles" like the fake ones you see--I want ruby colored cut crystals that shimmer and sparkle blindingly when you move your feet, which I would do all the time, just like Dorothy when Glinda would point to them with her wand.  

ruby slippers

(Ooooh!  Aaah!)  

I have no idea what I would wear them with--and I don't really care, just so long as they fit my duck feet perfectly, yet looked slender and lovely and not hurt one bit.  Magic slippers, indeed!  And, just like Dorothy's, they would never ever get dirty or cracked or lose their sparkle or--heaven forbid--lose a crystal.  And in return, I would promise not to wear them into the chicken coop, unlike all my other shoes.  I've been wishing for this since I was 5 years old, and I still think about it.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004EBBRZS/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?qid=1381183587&sr=8-22&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.... certainly the right shape.  If I have several hundred dollars and a glue gun perhaps I can switch the sequins out for crystals.  :p

ananas likes this.

#4 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM

You really should just go all the way and get actual rubies LOL!!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, if we are talking impossible, rubies would be beautiful.  I'm not sure they would sparkle quite as brilliantly, though.  Plus rubies are more pinkish than strictly red.  But heck, if it's an impossible pair of shoes, the why not?  

#6 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Yes, if we are talking impossible, rubies would be beautiful.  I'm not sure they would sparkle quite as brilliantly, though.  Plus rubies are more pinkish than strictly red.  But heck, if it's an impossible pair of shoes, the why not?  

What about red diamonds? 

#7 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

There you go.  I wouldn't even mind if they were artificially colored so I can get *that* red color.  Dorothy's shoes are *the* reason sparkle-red is my favorite color.  You would never know that by looking at my house or my clothes.  But looking at those shoes makes my heart sing.  

#8 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

oooh now what makes my heart sing? 

i like that question.

like you i have always loved ruby red. not slippers - but jewelry. the actual stone set in gold. i dont want to own one. but i just love looking at them. instead i love ruby kinda stone set in black metal in renaissance design. something like this but not in brass. http://www.flickr.com/photos/malves1009/6639448973/

i forget an MDC mom. i think her name is forest something. she had a bunch of kids. i loved how she included her children on her page (or was that her blog) and she did jewelry. i always lusted after her stuff. spent years drooling over her designs. but could never afford a piece. i havent checked in some years.  

i once embarrased my cousin. one time he shared how much he loved barbie dolls. so for his 18th bday i secretly in his bedroom gave him a barbie. his face was - what?!!!! I to this day did not understand the what. i hope he was secretly happy. 

so i will answer two subtle questions

what makes my heart sing? and that is unattainable?

this particular doll that was around when i was young. i always wanted one. mind you i was not the doll kinda child. this was a cheap plastic doll. in asia.  

when dd was a toddler she got these orange shoes from gap. i wish they had a grown up version of that. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

when dd was a toddler she got these orange shoes from gap. i wish they had a grown up version of that. 

I often see something made for littles that I would love the grown up version of!  Some would translate well, others.... not so well.  Like, I adore Alice Shoes (black patent leather Mary Janes) with stripey leggings, but that look is really hard to pull off as an adult.  I did once have pair of those in 2nd grade.  I loved them almost as much as the ruby slippers, as Alice in Wonderland was another favorite.  

I like old-fashioned looking jewelry, especially Edwardian-era stuff, and especially jet and garnet.  But I am not a jewelry person!  I  have a bracelet made of nettle fiber that I twisted myself.  I love it.  It's more the everyday "me", but the Dream Me would be swathed in black velvet and pearls and sparkles.  (And then I'd head out to the chicken coop?  Nope, definitely not the Practical Me.)  When the nest (my home nest, not the hen's nest) is empty, I think I need a "girl cave" to put in all the shimmery sparkly pearly things that I love to see now and then-- with the Ruby Slippers front and center.  

#10 of 30 Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Great thread!  Hmmm, I think I'd love to have a house on my own private beach in Costa Rica.  My grandparents took me there when I was in highschool, and I've dreamed about the beaches there since then!  

#11 of 30 Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

One frivelous thing?  I've always wanted this... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YOEECS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER .  Yeah, I know, I'm a dork.  :o

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#12 of 30 Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackstone444 View Post

One frivelous thing?  I've always wanted this... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YOEECS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER .  Yeah, I know, I'm a dork.  :o

Love it.  That's definitely an attainable wish.

#13 of 30 Old 10-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

I want a 1959 Ford Fairlane with red glitter paint and white wall tires. 

journeymom likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#14 of 30 Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Eek! I don't know - I guess my wish would be this (I think about this a lot) 

I wish some magical entity would fill my Kindle with books they know I would love to read. Memoirs, science fiction/fantasy, fiction, homesteading books..hundreds of them. Ones I wouldn't find browsing my local bookstore, or goodreads, or Amazon. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#15 of 30 Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

This one?

1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Galaxie Convertible: Drivers Side View

I think my grandpa had that car.  ETA:  Nope.  Checked.  He had a 1968 Ford Galaxie.  Red, though.

Mommariffic, I would love for someone to queue up some books that they knew I would love.  

#16 of 30 Old 10-14-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

I wish some magical entity would fill my Kindle with books they know I would love to read. Memoirs, science fiction/fantasy, fiction, homesteading books..hundreds of them. Ones I wouldn't find browsing my local bookstore, or goodreads, or Amazon. 

I love that thought!

I would like to live where it's foresty and green and has seasons. I have lived in the desert for all but 4 years of my life. It has it's own beauty but that's hard to appreciate when it's above 110 for four months out of the year, and above 90 for another 2 months. And the trees just don't grow the same. But . . . we are settled here, good schools, good jobs, good neighborhood. Just no forest.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#17 of 30 Old 10-14-2013, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

This one?

1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Galaxie Convertible: Drivers Side View

I think my grandpa had that car.  ETA:  Nope.  Checked.  He had a 1968 Ford Galaxie.  Red, though.

Yep! Isn't she a beauty? I'd have to have the blood red super glittery paint job, like they have on carnival rides though. My dream vacation would be to hop in this car and drive west on Route 66, up Highway 1 in California and then back on the Lincoln Highway. Ah, dreams... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#18 of 30 Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

since i was 10 years old this is the car i have always wanted. http://www.motorward.com/2012/04/lamborghini-aventador-j-gold-and-more/ 

however i hope one day i can drive on the autobahn or where is it? dubai.

if i cant do that then at least on a racetrack one day. i L O V E speed. 

mommarriffic i have achieved your wish. i am mostly a non fiction reader, with some fiction. i work as a hospice caregiver and i have been going with the person to his book clubs and once a week meetings. i am just drowned in books that are just fantastic. some of them are not well written but by golly. they are so good at analysing. however i am still struggling with i just dont have time to read all the books i want to read.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#19 of 30 Old 10-14-2013, 09:09 PM
AAK

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I always envisioned having a home with its own library.  Rich, dark shelves with all my favorites and others that I would love.  (Like the kindle wish, in a way--but I still prefer real books).  Anyways this 'dream' started long before kindles existed.  Also in the room was the perfect "curl up and read" furniture, and a fireplace to keep things cozy.  :-)

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#20 of 30 Old 10-15-2013, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I want a small garden cottage just for me--a playhouse for an adult! I know a lady who actually has one, and it's amazing!

Mine would be made of stone, with a cedar shake roof, and a beautiful garden surrounding it. Yes, and a koi pond...and bird feeders!

It would have a small fireplace and a loft above, with a place to sleep. Inside, I would be able to paint, sculpt, craft, read, drink coffee, play sudoku, and just relax.

This frivolous dream might actually become a reality. All I have to do is build my kids a playhouse, then convert it into a space for myself once they outgrow it. Of course, by the time they are too old for the playhouse, I probably won't need one of my own!

....Off to draw up plans......hehe!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#21 of 30 Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I would love something like that--entirely unwired--no electricity whatsoever.  In a few years I hope to make something of a studio out of cob, when the girls are old enough to help me.  

BeckyBird likes this.

#22 of 30 Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

If you ever find the ebook fairy, add me to her list wink1.gif - particularly vintage sci fi.

I want the ship from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - not the movie, but the one I imagined reading the trilogy in five parts wink1.gif.

Ooh and a pause button for the kids!

ETA: reservations at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe for DH and me while the kids are on pause wink1.gif
Springshowers likes this.
#23 of 30 Old 10-17-2013, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

Ooh and a pause button for the kids!

Can I take back my wish and wish for this instead?!  :bgbounce

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#24 of 30 Old 10-17-2013, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

All of these rooms make me feel warm and tingly, but the triangle book case is especially fun.  

http://ohdizzle.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/home-libraries/

I take it back. My favorite is the little crammed corner with the portrait of Virginia Woolf. I'd put Louisa May Alcott, maybe.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#25 of 30 Old 10-18-2013, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

A maid, a cook, a nanny or full time tutor, and the budget to throw huge parties and feasts several times a year.

#26 of 30 Old 10-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My aunt has the little cottage in her (lovely) backyard. It is so pretty. It's just one room, maybe 12x12 feet, with a pretty white iron bed, a little writing table and fancy chair, a bookshelf, and a cozy chair by the window. No bathroom, no electricity, just a lovely little hideaway all for her.

I think my fantasy would be unlimited ingredients and unlimited, uninterrupted time to cook an elaborate dinner and dessert every night. And, of course, someone to clean up the mess!
BeckyBird likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#27 of 30 Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 AM

I would like to have a butler. But I'm thinking maybe it's not so unattainable??? I WANT A BUTLER.

joy.gif

#28 of 30 Old 10-18-2013, 12:03 PM

I want a grill. You know, the diamondy kind you wear on your teeth.   I want it for when I go out for an evening of wine drinking and deep conversation with my girlfriends I can put it on and say "yo, wassup".

dalia likes this.
#29 of 30 Old 10-18-2013, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I think my fantasy would be unlimited ingredients and unlimited, uninterrupted time to cook an elaborate dinner and dessert every night. And, of course, someone to clean up the mess!

Not every night, but, yeah.  I could go for that.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#30 of 30 Old 10-18-2013, 02:06 PM

I want a house that is a small, cozy bungalow with all of the space very intelligently and uniquely utilized to suit my family's individual needs. And for my husband's parents to live next door and watch the kids a day or two each week. 

I suppose both of these things are theoretically possible, but pretty darn unlikely. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page