Offered a job: Grocery Worker Scab--WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

My initial reaction is to not get involved with the impending Grocery Workers strike.  More trouble than the income is worth.

But am I overthinking this?  I could use the work right now, temporary as it is (in fact temporary meaning "seasonal" is what I applied for, not this).  I  don't want a headache or a Scarlet Letter emblazoned on my work record.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I could go either way on this one myself... you have to do what you have to do for your family, and I think that willing workers should be able to work. 

On the other hand, if the grocery workers are striking for legitimate causes, you don't want to cross the picket line. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few in that situation. If they're trying to improve conditions for an entire class of employee, you'd only be hurting that effort by crossing the picket the line. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 10-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wouldn't take it unless extremely desperate for money.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Old 10-11-2013, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I would have a tough time with that decision too, but in this economy I don't think anyone can begrudge you taking work, even if it's not ideal.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.  Yes, our situation, while not desperate, is close enough to justify taking a job because I *need* it.  However, I let it go.  One other reason was that the job could last 1 day or months and months.  

I'm getting discouraged and am putting up more housekeeping flyers, even though that's not going to help much with winter temporary work.  I'll be advertising for holiday deep cleans, etc as well as regular clients.  The money is good, but irregular.  When I lived in Seattle, I would work at a particular bookstore nearly every season.  It was easy just to call them up every October and start scooping up all the hours I could use.  *Sigh*

I haaate looking for work...... it really is one of the least fun things we do in life, isn't it?  Forever being judged, convincing people you really are a great choice.  Ugh.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 10-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Have you tried discount stores like TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc.? My aunt has luck getting seasonal work there every holiday season.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 10-11-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

I have not tried every place, but thanks for the recommendation.  Part of my limitations is distance.  Most places are at least 35 minutes away from me.  I've been keeping up on indeed.com.  Still being a little picky, so I suppose I'm not that desperate.  Passed up putting an application at Home Depot because the thought of selling gargantuan bags of poison and being all smiley about it depresses me.  I still have options, and at least no work=less gas and fewer frivolous expenses!  I'm posting an ad on craigslist.  Did I say I hate craigslist?  But it kind of jumps starts the whole process.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:52 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Good luck with the hunt.  It won't help for this year, but last year I learned how to prepare taxes.  I have been studying to become an enrolled agent and will take my exams soon.  This should give me supplemental income for part of the year--best part is that I can work from home.  On the other hand, I have to build my business. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

I have had that thought about being a tax preparer.  Also, we live in the state capitol area, and the legislative season runs Jan-March, sometimes April.  I'd love to tap that resource.  Hoping to turn my resume in to a lady that, among other things, helps out-of-area legislators find people like *housekeepers*!  That would help me find good work that drops off when the gardening season begins.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I don't know if this is a helpful suggestion at all, but for a while I was a nanny and made good money. I found a job through the city's online mom group and the hours were just in the morning before school and a few hours after school. I was also able to bring my two year old with me. Good luck! 

(I think it's nice you didn't cross the picket line. Have you ever seen "Newsies"? That's all I could think of :wink)

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

For a number of years, I worked elections.  Any time there was an election, I called up the election office and asked to work that day.  It typically paid 150-200 dollars for a days work.

I also worked census campaigns - more work, but more money.

Otherwise - do you have a skill you can teach?  I have made money that way.

Can you sell stuff at a farmers market - particularly something there is a gap in.  Produce, bread and jams/preserves tend to go well. 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

There is an election coming up, and I have been paying attention to the want ads for that position, but I might have to call the office directly.  I also have some flyers in the works for my housekeeping and my granola and pies.  Before I complain too much, I need to put myself out there more.  Getting started, but I need it all in place by the end of the week.

Tomorrow is the "big day" for the possible strike.   Friday the union put their 72 hour notice in.  I won't accept the job offers, but it does pain me in a way.  The last strike in the region lasted 81 days.  I really could justify it in some ways, but again, like the opportunities others have suggested, I have not even begun to exhaust my options.  

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I see this thread has taken a different direction, but I am glad to hear you did not cross a picket line. My grandfather was seriously injured in a coal miner's strike in the 1920's. Permanently lost his hearing. My mom went on strike in the 60's, and I remember her fear that she might not have a job to go back to. Could have been devastating to our family, but she believed in supporting the Workers' Voice. I appreciate the people who sacrificed for the rights workers in America have today. Minimum wage, overtime, relatively safe conditions. All these things were hard won. Even when I do not agree with the issues being debated, I will never cross a picket line.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 10-20-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I hope they get what they want in less than 81 days.  One of the stores is my main store, after our co-op.  Going into Christmas, it's going to be hard patronizing another grocery store.  The strike would affect 4 major national and regional chains, Safeway, Albertson's, and two local now-Kroger-owned chains.  That leaves one store that has (some of) what I need outside the coop but not everything, and at higher prices.  

I wish them good luck in their negotiations.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

There is an election coming up, and I have been paying attention to the want ads for that position, but I might have to call the office directly.  I also have some flyers in the works for my housekeeping and my granola and pies.  Before I complain too much, I need to put myself out there more.  Getting started, but I need it all in place by the end of the week.

Definitely keep doing this. When I was an apathetic teenager who couldn't have cared less about politics, I got paid $50 a day to canvas for a politician in semi-rural and rural areas. I know it's not a lot, but it helps. Poor guy had no idea I knew nothing about him or politics, I was just 17 with a baby and needed some money badly. I probably wasn't the best canvasser... (He ended up making it to office at some point and I do actually agree with most of his politics now, so I guess it worked out).

I've heard you can make upwards of $100 on Election Day.

Just a thought.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

For a number of years, I worked elections.  Any time there was an election, I called up the election office and asked to work that day.  It typically paid 150-200 dollars for a days work.

I somehow missed this part of your post before I posted the same idea. Wow. I now feel like I was vastly underpaid. lol. I made $50 a day. (Although in hindsight, that's probably about what I should have made because I knew nothing about what I was doing...)

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.

User Tag List