Healthcare exchanges - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sooooo... has anyone gone shopping for health insurance on the exchanges? Did you sign up/enroll? What was the process like? Did you like what you saw? Love to hear details if you want to share.

No one I know has done it yet, including myself. I am waiting to see what happens.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have experience with the new exchanges to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I'm waiting as well.  But for when?  I think I'll try next week.  Curious about others' experience.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to wait until the very last minute. It is a total mess right now. Or, I may try to find something outside the exchanges... just for myself. My kids have insurance already. Just me and DH are without right now. I am also worried about the inaccessibility of doctors. I have heard of many who are NOT taking the Obamacare insurances... including every single one of mine. So much for being able to keep your doctor. So, right now I can pay out-of-pocket to see them, or try to find some crappy, expensive insurance to get my way overdue checkups done. I have to do the math and see which one is more affordable. Something else I have discovered that is disturbing... a lot of doctors are going out of their way to advertise they are no longer taking or accepting new Medicare patients. Yikes.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I was on our state's subsidized healthcare for years and found the choice of doctors to be acceptable, but it could be regional. Of course, adult coverage didn't include dental.  I am curious as well, but I don't really have a choice.  I absolutely cannot afford any coverage for dh and I.  I have to take what Medicaid offers us at this point.  DH just got 10 stitches in his scalp at the ER, and I'm stressed about the upcoming bill for that.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

We don't qualify for Medicaid. It wasn't expanded in my state.

We pay a small premium for our kids. It is a state-subsidized, kids' only health insurance plan. We are able to keep it. It covers everything.

My husband wants no part of Obamacare. I don't either, but I need something. I am 3 years overdue for regular woman screening stuff. I got an estimate for regular BCBS PPO in my state for adequate coverage... as long as I don't have a problem. The quote was around $165 a month, just for me and it is just for medical (no dental, vision). Obviously that does not include copays, deductibles, coinsurance. After the first of the year, preventative screening will be covered at no additional cost for a patient, no matter what type of insurance you have. That is one of the very few things I am happy about that is a result of Obamacare becoming law. I may jump on that and get my regular check-ups done, then dump it after a few months. Hopefully I will be healthy and won't need additional care. Again, have to do the math. At least with regular BCBS, I will be able to see my old doctors again.

I honestly feel that Obamacare is a stepping stone to an eventual single-payer system. I think it was designed to be an epic failure because of this.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

So, I'm watching the hearings that Sec. Sebelius is going through right now with the Senate Finance Committee, and she confirmed something very disturbing. The navigators, as they are called, the folks who have been hired to help regular citizens sign up for Obamacare, and who will be exposed to folks' personal information (SS#, DOB, etc), do not have to go through background checks as part of the hiring process. She was specifically asked if it is possible that a convicted felon could be hired for this job, and she said yes, it is possible. Yeah, I think I will continue to wait until they make sure those who are hired to help with Obamacare are not convicted felons. What a joke. What an effing disaster.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We need to look but I don't want to jump in before they have all the bugs worked out. And I don't just mean the website but all new things like this have some sort of kinks to work out that no one has thought about ahead of time. We pay for our insurance on our own and it is $1,200/month and it is killllling us!

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Old 11-07-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

1200/month is ridiculous. That sucks. That is a mortgage/rent payment. Medical insurance should not cost that much, ever. The only positive thing about that is you can claim that for out-of-pocket medical expenses and use it as a deduction for tax time. Still, it's way too much to be spending. I hope you have kick-ass coverage at least!!!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We have super duper coverage. My daughter has special needs and needs a home care nurse overnights and the hospital told us no insurance comapnies ever cover the expense but ours did. They were shocked! Luckily it is tax deductible and it is an HSA so there are other OTC medications and dental visits and stuff that are covered with the tax free HSA $'s. BUT it is still $1200!

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Tags
Health
User Tag List