Holy Halloween Candy! (update: THE AFTERMATH) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

WARNING: TURN AWAY NOW IF THE DISCUSSION OF FOOD DYE-SUGAR-N--CORN SYRUP LADEN GOODIES DRIVES YOU, AHEM, BATTY!!

How many of you have had to buy extra candy because you ate too much of it already? (Yup.) 

How many of you buy an extra bag in advance just because you know you'll need to buy more if you don't? (Yup.)

How many of you disciplined folks wait until Halloween to buy the candy so it won't be sitting around?  (Very smart *and* it's on sale!)

How many of you think "this is the year I will buy organic/fair trade/natural dye candy or healthy treats" yet finally succumb to the tantalizing towers of junk? (Moi.)

What is your secret (or not so secret) Halloween favorite?  (Mine are Tootsie rolls or Tootsie roll pops.  Who remembers and loves the old commercial "How Many Licks..." with the owl?)

Do you remember/miss the days of popcorn balls and caramel apples and homemade goodies in your pillowcase?  Would you do that if you thought people wouldn't be freaked out by it?

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#2 of 17 Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I wait until Halloween because I have spent too many years having to buy more on Halloween due to eating it. I never think of buying organic or healthy food because it's expensive and pointless. I don't remember handmade stuff and don't hope for those days again but I also don't eat handmade stuff at potlucks so I'm definitely biased.
#3 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will admit that there has been a certain shrinkage in the Butterfingers department.  If I had seen them in the store to buy them, $100,000 bars would never have survived for the trick or treaters.

As for the organic, healthy, etc., treats, no.  I'm not at all tempted to spend a fortune on nominally healthier junk that most kids won't recognize and probably won't eat.

I'm not a fan of mass distribution of  homemade stuff.  Dh is a teacher and gets homemade treats at school from kids and we toss them.  I'm older than most of you, and never got much in the way of homemade stuff handed out at Halloween.   In fact, I can't remember it happening at all.  If there were candied apples or popcorn balls, it was something handed out at parties or something made at home for us.

#4 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

I do remember the old folks especially handed out the homemade goodies-- popcorn balls usually.  Then there was always the one plain apple and a New Testament.  This was the mid-seventies.  By the end of the decade, no more homemade treats in our neighborhoods.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

No one comes to our house so I do restrain myself and don't buy any candy unless there is another reason to do so.  My favorites though are Reese's PB Cups & tootsie rolls (if I pick only two).  Regarding homemade treats: they need to be from someone I know, therefore I wouldn't want them in the trick or treat bag.  Not only that, but an apple rolling around in that bag all night just gets bruised up and I never cared for popcorn balls.  I do like seeing homemade goodies at parties.  

The kids know to keep their candy out of my sight.  I have low levels of willpower :-) but I will stay away if it isn't in my sight. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

How many of you disciplined folks wait until Halloween to buy the candy so it won't be sitting around?  (Very smart *and* it's on sale!)

Hah! Haven't bought anything yet. Not disciplined, just kinda lazy about it. We decorated the house today and I'm planning on picking up some candy and a pumpkin for carving tomorrow. I was just trying to decide whether to buy something reasonably healthy or just say the heck with it and get something full of sugar. I usually buy "nut-free" treats at least, since there seem to be a few nut intolerant/allergic children in the area. 

I also can't decide how much to buy. We usually don't get a lot of children at the door but I don't like to run out of treats to shell out. End result - we usually have a lot of candy left over. 

#7 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I tend to hand out huge fistfuls of candy and like to make sure to have enough, which means I overestimate by about a bazillion bags.  I buy plenty of candy that I don't like all that much as an adult (to keep from eating it too much), along with a few that we all love (that often don't make it to Halloween night).  Plus some for "trade"--dd1 is allergic to dairy and wheat (in a few popular candies, not much) and some nuts, and it's usually not easy to request something she can have at the door.  

#8 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As someone who only ever got candy at halloween thanks to others growing up - I also like to have enough to give out big fistfuls of candy.  We visit with our neighbors on Halloween (we all sit together while waiting for trick or treaters on one neighbor's yard-wall area).  Everyone else is like 'here's one candy' :p  and then there's me, trying to unload our bucket (we used to have a LOT more trick or treaters, I swear.  I don't think I've really been buying more candy than I used to).

What is nice, though, is a few people bake and the kids can sometimes have a homemade cake/cookie too that we feel fine about when they get back near home.  And we can sit around with coffee/tea while we're waiting around outside.

My favorites, though, are the odd candy bars you never end up picking up outside of halloween - 100 grand, whatchamacallit, O'Henry.  I hope to acquire some in the Mom-kid candy swap post-Halloween (where I switch out all the candy allergic dd can't eat or dd1 dislikes for fun stuff I got them that we know they like).  

I usually only get candy that doesn't tempt me (blow pops, pixie sticks) but this year I got the huge tootsie roll assortment mix.  And it had mini boxes of dots, my weakness.

#9 of 17 Old 10-31-2013, 06:59 AM

I sent DH to pick up the candy, along with a few other grocery items, and he ended up buying 3 boxes of mini-Kit Kats and Aero bars, lol! I think we have enough, since it's raining here today. 

If you haven't seen it yet, check out today's Google Doodle. Lots of fun......

#10 of 17 Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Cute!  I don't think I've seen a video on there, but I usually access google via Safari, so I miss out on all the great artwork.

Yesterday was dd2's 7th birthday, so we have chocolate cake in addition to the expected candy tonight.  I think the neighbors are coming over to help with that before we all venture out.

#11 of 17 Old 10-31-2013, 09:49 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Cute!  I don't think I've seen a video on there, but I usually access google via Safari, so I miss out on all the great artwork.

Yesterday was dd2's 7th birthday, so we have chocolate cake in addition to the expected candy tonight.  I think the neighbors are coming over to help with that before we all venture out.

I used Safari, click on the image and everything will start.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#12 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Feeling pretty proud of myself for having one piece of candy last night.  Mainly because I had two giant pieces of birthday cake.

How is everyone doing with all that leftover candy (and the kids' candy for you sneaky folks)?

#13 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I have about a hundred or so chocolate bars and chips left. If I ate it all it would be five pounds of weight gain!!!

I am donating it to a local farm with lots of volunteers.
#14 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We only got 12 kids last night... I have a ton of candy just sitting around. I was hoping DH would take it to work, but no luck. This weekend is going to be tough unless I find someone to pass it along to.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#15 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Apparently food banks are very happy to take it. Homeless shelters I am sure too. So if you are willing to do a little work you could make some people very happy.
#16 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Thank you, that is good to know.  We are swimming in candy because it rained HARD last night.  Our Girl Scout troop is doing a big donation to a food pantry near us.  I am sure EVERYONE will be happy to donate candy.  I'm going to send out an email while people still have sealed bags.

#17 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 PM

I'd say we had just about the right amount of candy to shell out. It wasn't too busy but there was a fair turn out. We have enough left over for us to snack on for a few days. It's nice because my dc are waaaay past trick or treat age and there would be no candy at all if we didn't have a little left from what we bought. 

DS and DD carved a couple of amazing pumpkins. They were the talk of the neighbourhood. DS carved a funny outline of Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes comics) with an evil up-to-no-good look on his face. DD carved the elven inscription from the One Ring to Rule Them All from the Lord of the Rings to allow the candle flame to shine through the script. We had a couple of offers from neighbours who wanted to hire them next year to carve their pumpkins.  

Halloween isn't quite over here. DS is visiting a friend tomorrow who attends college in a nearby town. I guess the college parties are happening this weekend. DS has been working on his costume all night. He's going as Mad Max. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page