Do you use a top sheet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Totally fluffy thread...

I know there are reasons for using a top sheet and I used one all growing up. But I don't now, I don't even buy them for my bed. My husband got me started on this ;) My kids don't use them either. In fact they've always bugged me but they really bug me now. 

But here I was making up the guest bed again today and I always put a top sheet on the guest bed. But I know our guest won't use it. We just had a house sitter and they didn't use it. Our guest in May didn't use it (well I'm making some assumptions here. I don't go in their room while they are sleeping or visiting but when I go to change the sheets it's usually stuffed at the bottom of the bed and our guests have pulled the covers back up).

Most of our guests at Christmas didn't use them, except for my parents. My parents always use a top sheet. Of course my mom is also one to "strip the bed" whenever she stays over at someone's house so they don't have to do it ;) And none of the people who don't use a top sheet strip the bed, which doesn't bug me... I just thought it an interesting correlation.

Do you use a top sheet? Do most of the people you know use one or not? WHY or Why NOT?

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#2 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We use one. I can see why they bug some people -- ours does tend to get bunched to one side, while the duvet gets bunched to the other side, so I'm always straightening them out.

The reason I continue to use one is that taking our duvet cover off and on is a pain, so I'd rather spare myself that chore most weeks by just washing the top sheet, and only washing the duvet cover once a month or so.

I don't know what my friends do in this regard. I know my mom uses a top sheet.

As a guest, I would either make the bed the way the host had it when I arrived (so, with the top sheet nice and smooth in your case) or strip the bed -- I think it's odd to leave the sheet bunched at the bottom of the bed even if they didn't use it. It wouldn't bug me if my guests did that because I'm just going to strip the bed anyway, but as a guest I wouldn't do that.
delightedbutterfly likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use a two flannel sheets that I sewed together all the time, adding comforters as needed.  Dh only uses a sheet or a comforter.  Dd likes both.  Ds doesnt even care if he has sheets on his bed. 

#4 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Always. I need my bedding to stay put, and the tuckability of the top sheet helps with that. (I also tend to strip the bed if I'm a guest. I have a convoluted sense that I can assure fresh sheets on my bed by ensuring the sheets get washed after I use them. Kind of like paying the bill at the end of the meal. Weird, I know.)
#5 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes, I use a top sheet. Basically, this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean View Post

The reason I continue to use one is that taking our duvet cover off and on is a pain, so I'd rather spare myself that chore most weeks by just washing the top sheet, and only washing the duvet cover once a month or so.

Also, a top sheet gives me a little more flexibility for controlling warmth.  If I wake at night and I'm too hot, I'll just throw off the top covers (blankets and duvet) and sleep under the top sheet. In the summer, all I need is the top sheet, so I turn down the top cover (usually a cotton quilt) at night and just leave the top sheet on the bed.   

#6 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yes, I always use a top sheet and my immediate family do too. I like not having to change the doona cover and I like to have the option of just having the sheet over me if it's cool but not cold. I also hate pulling up the covers and having my feet pop out the end, a tucked in sheet prevents that.

And I always strip the bed in hotels or guest rooms before I leave.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting wink1.gif I don't use a duvet cover either (where's the bag over head emoticon on the mobile browser when you need it)... But my guest bed has one lol.

Yes my guest bed has all the fixings wink1.gif just none of us like them on our own bed. I actually have a special comforter/sham set that I only put on our bed if I think someone will see the bedroom (and I hide everything under it) otherwise it stays in a bag in the closet wink1.gif

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

#8 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 03:18 PM

Also, this: 

Quote:

Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I also hate pulling up the covers and having my feet pop out the end, a tucked in sheet prevents that.

I hate, hate, hate having my feet flailing loose with the top sheet flapping about over them. I will get up and re-make the bed if that happens (drives DH crazy). Otherwise I will have a night of disturbed, restless sleep. 

Oddly, both dc like having the top sheet untucked at their feet.  They don't bother to make their beds with hospital corners.  Whereas my hospital corners would make Florence Nightingale proud. 

#9 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I *love* having my feet uncovered. In fact when I'm at home I hate wearing anything but capris, I like my ankles uncovered too! And definitely no socks to bed!

I can make a decent bed though wink1.gif just depends on who is getting it. My mother requires crisp corners and all the fixings. Well she probably doesn't require it, but in my *child* brain she does wink1.gif
mamarhu likes this.

#10 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nope. Though, when I am no longer cosleeping, I will probably return to the grown up world of top sheets.  For now, I use a comforter only and wash it a lot. I had a kid who was heck bent on tangling in the sheet when he  was little, and ripped it off the bed  after a scary incident. I haven't had one since, and it is two kids later. 

#11 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, to me the bed doesn't feel right without a top sheet.
#12 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes. The point of the top sheet is to minimize laundry. Blankets and comforters are bulky and harder to wash. It takes more energy to dry them. Or the newer fuzzy fleece ones sometimes don't wear well with frequent washing even though they are light weight and synthetic so they dry fast. Sleeping sandwiched between sheets means the sheets can be washed regularly and the blankets can be washed seasonally (every few months.) Plus, I like how soft all-cotton sheets feel:-) 

beanma and delightedbutterfly like this.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#13 of 22 Old 11-07-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

I hate, hate, hate having my feet flailing loose with the top sheet flapping about over them. I will get up and re-make the bed if that happens (drives DH crazy).

Oh my gosh, me too!! I also have to make sure the top of the sheet is folded back over the edge of the duvet -- it drives me crazy to just have it flopping loosely under my chin. My poor DH has finally adopted a bemused tolerance for my sheet-straightening antics at bedtime. lol.gif

#14 of 22 Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 AM

We use a top sheet. I really don't like washing the feather duvet frequently. I think it looses feathers, kind of plays havoc with the front loader washing machine when it's on the spin cycle, and takes a great deal of energy to dry.

We don't have a clothes line, another thing to add to the chore list!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#15 of 22 Old 11-09-2013, 04:54 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

no, we don't use one regularly.  I always did until I got married.  My dh can just kill the bedding in the middle of the night it is as if he feels trapped or something and that sheet would get all twisted up.  I don't have duvet or anything like that, just a variety of blankets.  The blanket that is next to our bodies gets washed a lot.  It is a lightweight blanket though and not much different than washing a top sheet.  However it is a bit  heavier than a top sheet and doesn't get all tangled up.  That said, dh needs his feet untucked and I like mine all wrapped up.  My kids seem to take after their dad (except one).  Two want to sleep on top of everything with just a throw blanket on top of them.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#16 of 22 Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Always use a topsheet. Sheets (bottom and top) are like underwear for the bed. Going w/o a topsheet is like going commando and means you need to wash your blankets/comforters/bedspreads (jeans/pants) more often. 

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#17 of 22 Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

The purpose of top sheets in my house is an emergency back up sheet if the baby's diaper leaked on all the fitted sheets and I haven't washed them yet. I didn't buy all these soft, cozy blankets to not get to curl up with them and feel their texture when I sleep! Also, I can't stand sleeping in a "made" bed, and I only sometimes can tolerate even sharing a blanket with dh. My blankets are combination warmth and "moldable body pillows". I actually prefer bunching up a corner of a blanket under my head over a traditional pillow, with the rest of the blanket scrunched up behind my back, with an "as needed" amount pulled on top of me. That's for side sleeping, and the arrangement varies with my sleep position. None of this is at all compatible with top sheet use, and like I said... I buy soft blankets because I like their texture against my skin.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#18 of 22 Old 11-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

I actually prefer bunching up a corner of a blanket under my head over a traditional pillow, with the rest of the blanket scrunched up behind my back, with an "as needed" amount pulled on top of me.

Oh my gosh, you're going to give me hives! After reading that I need to go snap, tuck, and smooth all the sheets in the house. lol.gif

#19 of 22 Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Oh my gosh, you're going to give me hives! After reading that I need to go snap, tuck, and smooth all the sheets in the house. lol.gif

I had the same reaction. Clearly, I have OCD 'bunching' issues. 

#20 of 22 Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Kinda squicked me out, too, but I do understand wanting soft texture against the skin. I do like my warm flannel sheets in the winter and that reminds me I should switch over to them now.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#21 of 22 Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe

No top sheets in this house! We all use just the bottom sheet.  Back when I was a serious quilter, I would buy 100% cotton sheet sets, use the top sheet as backing, and include the fitted sheet and pillow covers with the quilt.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#22 of 22 Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM

sometimes. If I'm using my 'nice' duvet cover, yes, but if it's our $20 ikea one that I don't mind washing more often, then probably not. 

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page