Any substitute teachers around? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I WAH full time as an editor and love my job, but I also have my teaching credential (although I've never used it beyond credential school/student teaching). The other day DS had a sub at school, and it was his classmate's mom. He asked why I never sub at school and I told him it's because I already have a job.

The more I think about it though, there are days when I don't work at all during the school day (I do most of my work during evenings/weekends), so I guess theoretically I could sub sometimes. I would only want it to be very occasionally though (like 2-3 times per month), and only at my kids' school. Is that loose of an arrangement even possible, or are subs obligated to work district-wide and lots of days?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
When I worked as a sub, I had full control over which days I worked. When I received my sub certificate, I was put on a list of available subs that was distributed to area school districts. The secretaries called me when they needed a sub, and I could accept or decline the job. However, things may work differently where you live.

#3 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittygritty View Post

When I worked as a sub, I had full control over which days I worked. When I received my sub certificate, I was put on a list of available subs that was distributed to area school districts. The secretaries called me when they needed a sub, and I could accept or decline the job. However, things may work differently where you live.

That's always been my impression of how things work, but I'm thinking if I say no to everything except 2 days a month at 1 particular school, I'll just sort of stop receiving calls eventually since they'll figure I'm pretty picky and uncooperative, you know?

#4 of 9 Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

limabean- before I had kids I subed. You can tell the school what you want to work. You can always say no. Many times once you get to know the person that makes calls you can workout things ahead of time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of the time they will work it out.

#5 of 9 Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Our school district hasn't accepted substitute teacher applications in years.
#6 of 9 Old 11-15-2013, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Polliwog, just curious - why? Do they have too many already or use building/permanent subs?

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#7 of 9 Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I've thought about it and I'm not going to sub. I already feel stretched thin between my job, being a room parent, and my PTA/volunteer duties. Also, I'm blessed to have a flexible full time job, and I don't need to be taking sub days away from someone who depends on that income.

#8 of 9 Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just became a sub at the end of October.  So far I've only worked 4 half days.  My schedule is really limited, but I would like to work at one of my children's schools, if possible.  They never seem to come up, so they probably have subs they call already.

#9 of 9 Old 11-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Polliwog, just curious - why? Do they have too many already or use building/permanent subs?

Very popular school district in a university town.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page