Scary toys from memory lane! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was thinking today about the changes in toys and entertainment from the 1980's when I was a kid to now. The toys that freaked me out then were the gremlins dolls. Does anyone else remember those? They were  a toy from the movie (which also freaked me out) and the garbage pail kids, the cards stank so much! I think that was kinda the point tho.

So what toys from the past were scary?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#2 of 48 Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post

and the garbage pail kids, the cards stank so much! I think that was kinda the point tho.

You mean they actually had an odor? I don't remember that -- gross! My mom wouldn't let us have those but I saw them at school. Some were really morbid -- I didn't like them either.

All clown stuff scared me as a kid. Also, this wasn't a scary toy but I had one of those clip-on koala bears clipped to my bedpost, and I used to think it moved at night so that it was looking at me when I woke up in the morning, which freaked me out. (But not enough to move it or throw it away, so I think I was just freaking myself out over nothing for the thrill of it.)

I can't really think of any other scary toys, but my friends and I used to do Bloody Mary in the bathroom, and games like "light as a feather/stiff as a board," and ouija boards and the like.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 48 Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

All clown stuff scared me as a kid. Also, this wasn't a scary toy but I had one of those clip-on koala bears clipped to my bedpost, and I used to think it moved at night so that it was looking at me when I woke up in the morning, which freaked me out. (But not enough to move it or throw it away, so I think I was just freaking myself out over nothing for the thrill of it.)

I also hated (and still do) anything clown related.

How big was your koala bear?

I remember a fad of wearing little (like 2 inches in length) koala bears on our collars.  I had several and LOVED THEM SO MUCH!  Somewhere along the line, my dad acquired one that was a promo gift from a rehab center.  It wore a little vest that said something like "Hanging onto sobriety, Acme Treatment Center" I can only imagine what the teachers at school thought when I wore that one on my collar.

farrah skye likes this.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#4 of 48 Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I never liked toy bugs, especially spiders and still don't like toy spiders. Childlike dolls with plastic faces creeped me out, maybe I saw a chucky commercial or something. Baby dolls were ok. I don't know if there were toys for it but anything related to Fantasia, posters/wooden straw brooms reminded me of that terrifying scene with brooms and I still try not to think about it.
#5 of 48 Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I hated the Jack-in-the-box!  I also didn't like the garbage pail kids--I didn't have any so I don't know they smelled bad too.  

ian'smommaya likes this.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 48 Old 11-14-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Teddy Ruxpin.  My cousin had one, you played a special tape and his mouth & eyes moved as he read you a story.  he totally creeped me out and I would lock him in the closet at night when I stayed there.

adinal and AAK like this.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#7 of 48 Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 AM

Dangerous scary, Jarts.  Nothing like throwing a metal spike through the air, trying to make it land in a circle on the ground where all your friends were standing.  

ian'smommaya likes this.
#8 of 48 Old 11-15-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

YES! But I looooved lawn darts! It was so so so much fun!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#9 of 48 Old 11-15-2013, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Jack-in-the-boxes scared me too! Lawn darts were just plain dangerous, but most games can be if you play them wrong. I was at a 4th of July party and a kid got hit in the head with a lawn dart. Luckily, her Dad is a brain surgeon. Off to the hospital they went! I think that's why they got rid of that game.
ian'smommaya likes this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#10 of 48 Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post

Teddy Ruxpin.  My cousin had one, you played a special tape and his mouth & eyes moved as he read you a story.  he totally creeped me out and I would lock him in the closet at night when I stayed there.

Oh I had forgotten about Teddy Ruxpin! That was a creepy thing!

#11 of 48 Old 11-15-2013, 01:31 PM

You guys are seriously creeping me out! I hated the troll dolls, the ones you spun to make their hair go crazy. They scared the crap outta me.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#12 of 48 Old 11-15-2013, 04:16 PM

I had a Lady Elaine Fairchild hand puppet. She was the lady who lived in the museum-go-round in The Land of Make Believe on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. I loved that show and I was happy to have the doll, but I was kind of afraid of her. She had a wart on her plastic nose, and I always tried to chew it off.

#13 of 48 Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 PM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

Dangerous scary, Jarts.  Nothing like throwing a metal spike through the air, trying to make it land in a circle on the ground where all your friends were standing.  

My fil collects those.  He loves Jarts, I think in part because they have been recalled/banned. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#14 of 48 Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post

I had a Lady Elaine Fairchild hand puppet. She was the lady who lived in the museum-go-round in The Land of Make Believe on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. I loved that show and I was happy to have the doll, but I was kind of afraid of her. She had a wart on her plastic nose, and I always tried to chew it off.

kind of afraid yet brave enough to chomp that wart! Love it!

Am I the only one that hated that show?

#15 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

HIM? Haha! I had several of those, too (sorry to give you nightmares).

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#16 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post

Oh I had forgotten about Teddy Ruxpin! That was a creepy thing!

Oh, dear lord. You're dredging up some things I'd rather have forgotten! I had a Teddy Ruxpin, and he sort of...malfunctioned. He'd go off without anyone touching him and his voice got a little demonic at the end. *shudder!*

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#17 of 48 Old 11-21-2013, 11:09 AM

I remember those koala things! I think I had some of those too.

#18 of 48 Old 11-22-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyingViolet View Post

HIM? Haha! I had several of those, too (sorry to give you nightmares).

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the koala picture!!!!!!!!

I wore (and played) with mine so much, their little hands and feet would separate from the "fur".  My mom was constantly repairing them.

I wish so much I still had them, DS would love them.

ShyingViolet likes this.

#19 of 48 Old 11-22-2013, 10:51 AM

I had those koala bears too! I had little Cabbage Patch clip on dolls too, those I still have.
#20 of 48 Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 PM

I was freaked out by any talking doll, there was a large one similar to teddy ruxpin but "human" and it scared me a lot - "Cricket" -- I wasn't even that young, this was in the 90s.

In fact, I just googled "talking doll" to get the name, and that was a terrible idea. EEEK! Didn't want to sleep anyway....

#21 of 48 Old 11-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I had several of those Koala bears clips.  They were in one of our house plants....LOL

I have dolls.  Still.  Madame Alexander, blinking creepy dolls.  I loved them, they are in my daughter's room now, and she just asked me to move them about a week ago....becuase they creeped her out. LOL

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#22 of 48 Old 11-27-2013, 07:34 AM

I'm on the younger side of things, so I've never heard of most of the things you're talking about - but I had older cousins! They decided it would be a great idea to watch the movie Gremlins with 3y/o me  (they were about 4, 6, and 8) in the mid 90's. It freaked me out a bit, but nothing compared to when the toy Furby came out (that year? maybe the next year?). I thought it WAS a Gremlin when I saw it on the shelves that Christmas, and was completely and utterly terrified 

One of my family members mistook my look of frozen horror for speechless thrill, and BOUGHT ONE FOR ME. It of course was possessed by the devil and would start squawking in the middle of the night in its ridiculous language... "MEE TAYY OOH-NOO!" or whatever the Furbish translation of "I'm going to kill you in your sleep, little child!" is. Ugh.

QueenOfTheMeadow and pokeyac like this.

Doula/breastfeeding counselor/car seat tech partners.gif forever in love with my big, strong construction man.

Birthmom since Jul/09 adoptionheart-1.gif

Early losses Jan/10 (7w), Aug/11 (5w), Jul/12 (5w)

joy.gifDD Jan '14

femalesling.GIF novaxnocirc.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif ecbaby2.gif cd.gif 

#23 of 48 Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 AM

Does anyone remember the "My Buddy" doll???

He's saying, "I will haunt your dreams"

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#24 of 48 Old 11-27-2013, 12:12 PM

"My buddy, my buddy, my buddy and meeeee"!

That song always gets stuck in my head.

#25 of 48 Old 11-27-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post

"My buddy, my buddy, my buddy and meeeee"!

That song always gets stuck in my head.

Mine too!!!

joy.gif

#26 of 48 Old 11-27-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

I don't know about Memory Lane, but one year when dd was just a tot, I saw a huge My Little Pony that was designed to be like a baby doll, complete with bottle and pacifier and blanket.  Creeped.  Me.  Out.  Something freaky about the huge eyes showing up on dolls these days.  We had a Baby Alive in the 70s (which was freakish enough that it ate baby food and pooped it out and heavens knows what happened in between) but now the new version has those huge, glaring, painted on eyes that make me run screaming. 

ShyingViolet likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#27 of 48 Old 11-27-2013, 12:33 PM

I had a huge Wylie coyote doll with big scary eyes. And cabbage patch.
BeckyBird likes this.
#28 of 48 Old 11-28-2013, 01:54 AM

I had a knock off American Girl doll. She was so creepy, I threw her in my closet every night and my mom would put her back on my dresser during the day.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#29 of 48 Old 11-28-2013, 02:23 AM

Yeah I was always scared of clowns! Somehow when I was about 7, the Steven king movie- "it" came on tv (!!) and was forever terrified of clowns.

I'm from the USA orginally- but now live in Australia and you buy those koala ANYWHERE here! Check amazon.

Me and hubs expecting our first little one in June bfinfant.gif
#30 of 48 Old 11-28-2013, 04:23 AM

ET! Even just having a poster freaked me out! The my buddy doll my brother had it and it reminded me if Chucky!
dalia likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page