For fun: "Green mama problems" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Kind of a spin off of first world problems. I was just thinking about a couple of mine that I find amusing. When 2 or more "Green" choices combine to create a comical problem. Not intended to be a "downside of natural living" type thread, just good fun!

Here's mine!

1. When I take a cloth diaper to the low water level toilet to dump the "contents", and it misses the water, instead sticking to a "dry" portion of the toilet bowl, and it takes multiple flushes to get it down unless I find an object to poke it with (Eek!!) to push it into the water.

2. I buy a diva cup while pregnant with my first baby, then thanks to exclusively breastfeeding on demand, do not get a period for a very, very long time. Diva cup is lost... period comes, *really* want that Diva Cup! Buy a new one.. repeat after every child (I'm currently on my 3rd Diva cup, and none have been used for more than 2 cycles.)

Anyone else?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 14 Old 11-20-2013, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Buy reusable shopping bags. Forget to take them shopping. Buy more reusable shopping bags. Repeat as desired eyesroll.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

:lol All of those things have happened to me.

When your toddler refuses cake and demands "KEEN-WA!" (sprouted, of course) 

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#4 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 PM

When the maintenance men turn off your water without notification just when you need to wash the diapers.

QueenOfTheMeadow likes this.

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

#5 of 14 Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 AM

that happened to me! @LiLStar I got some cloth panty liners and diva cup to prepare for when my cycle might return after my DD. Thankfully I did eventually find it but only got to use it for one cycle! Hopefully I won't misplace it again this time

#6 of 14 Old 12-06-2013, 08:26 PM

When you have a dream all your cloth diapers are ruined and you wake up crying! I was pregnant during this dream lol

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#7 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Buy reusable shopping bags. Forget to take them shopping. Buy more reusable shopping bags. Repeat as desired eyesroll.gif

OH yes, this is a regular occurence here.  If I remember to bring my bags once out of 3 times shopping, it's a miracle! 

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

#8 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 01:57 AM

Standing in the produce aisle looking at the local or organic signs trying to figure out which one would be better for the environment and health and feeling like you're going to cry because you can't decide...then having your dh laugh at you because you've been standing in front of the apples for about 10 minutes with a panicked look on your face!

#9 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Trying to buy local and going down the list of materials in an end product knowing that although it may have been assembled in your country all the raw ingredients were not and then having a dilemma about whether to totally throw in the towel. :eyesroll

The fact that environmentally friendly dishwasher soap totally sucks. 

Knowing that most art supplies are terrible for your health and the environment. 

When your garden is still there in the snow. (Today my DC found a cherry tomato left on the vine in 6" snow)  

When your kids totally love all the plastic crap and play with it lovingly and creatively. 

When your partner says, "How come we never have cheeze sauce on the broccoli?"  

And, mamas, I am guilty for one of the lost Diva cups in the world. I was traveling and left mine in a hotel and a friend lent me her's because she was pregnant. That was 6 years ago and I still have it. I'm pretty sure she has her period back. :p

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#10 of 14 Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 AM

You buy zip top bags that say "BPA free" & then wonder if they've got phylates (sp?).

You save zip top bags to use again but then can't remember what was in them so you don't know if they're safe to use for the most sensitive person on the planet, your youngest son.

You want to recycle all that you can but don't want to use water/soap to try to get the sunbutter out of the plastic container.

You've a small collection of things that are broken & in need of repair or aren't repairable but don't want to trash them because then they'll be in a land fill.

I know I have more.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#11 of 14 Old 12-10-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

When your kids totally love all the plastic crap and play with it lovingly and creatively. 

Yep, and the cheaper and crappier, the more they love it.  The beautiful wooden, handmade stuff sat unused but DS loved, loved, loved any cheap, POS my dad gave him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

And then throw out the bags because you are tired of them mocking you in the closet.......

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#12 of 14 Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

I've got another one for us non-dense urban or suburban mamas -- the fact that try as we may, we'll always be a much bigger drain on the environment than even our most careless urban neighbors. Driving fuel efficient cars, turning our thermostat down and not having AC is all well and good but if we're living in large-ish single family homes we ain't got squat on apartment dwelling, walking, biking, pubic transport friends. shake.gif  

The endless food philosophies that related to health and the environment that all seem so compelling and contradictory. 

Having parties and having to ask every.single.guest what they're eating these days. 

Having some do-gooder young person tell you about the latest and greatest thing they've discovered and feeling like an old curmudgeon because your first thought (that you keep to yourself) is, "Yea, been there, done that." 

Mine aren't all that fun, are they...?  

:p

How about weird things that come in the farm share?  We don't do one anymore because I prefer the farmer's market AND because we used to get just crap-tons of stuff that only a couple of us would eat. And a few odd bark type things that I didn't even know what to do with. 

Oh, I have hippie/green friends come to visit sometimes and they always cook and grocery shop and then leave all this weird stuff behind. These days I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to food. More interested in simple, healthy food that everyone in my family will eat. So, when someone leaves behind all this unusual stuff (that I know is lovely AND expensive) that always creates a dilemma. 

Another along those same lines is that we have another friend who is a freegan and dumpster dives all the time. She gets all sorts of odd stuff and then shares it with us. Right now I'm open to suggestions for what to do with an entire case of flax oil. :rotflmao

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#13 of 14 Old 12-10-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

How about weird things that come in the farm share?  We don't do one anymore because I prefer the farmer's market AND because we used to get just crap-tons of stuff that only a couple of us would eat. And a few odd bark type things that I didn't even know what to do with. 

I tried VERY hard to learn to like kale this year and I just don't like it.  The super healthy, super crunchy staff at distribution didn't want it either.  I started putting it out for the deer and they wouldn't touch it.  I will probably do the farm share again next year because we got eggs with it and I was able to use enough of the share to make it worth while but will no longer feel guilt about putting the inedible in the compost pile.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#14 of 14 Old 12-10-2013, 01:27 PM

The toilet sprayer is awesome! :-)  (From a mom who cloth diapered both kids) But it's awfully cold if used as a bidet. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page