Stocking Stuffers! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

#61 of 88 Old 12-20-2013, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Santa arranges each person's gifts in a special area in the living room- he never wraps, and all toys are taken out of the package and assembled ( I am so grateful for oldest DD's iPhone 5c, medium DD's iPad mini, and DS's Wii u this year- only one kiddo to put toys together for on Christmas Eve! Woot!!). He fills stockings and none of that stuff is wrapped, either. He's even bringing a bunch of toys for the ferrets this year ;)

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 88 Old 12-20-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Interesting to read how everyone does their Santa gifts. In our house, Santa wraps everything, even stocking stuffers, but with different paper than DH and I use. I like that wrapped stocking stuffers take longer to go through.
I like the idea of wrapped stocking stuffers, but I just don't want to do that much more wrapping...plus, I sometimes really cram stuffers into the stocking, so the paper would probably get ripped. I also like to break things up. For example, I'll put each roll of electrical tape in separately, instead of putting in the whole package.

The tip about putting a rolled coloring book in the top of a stocking to extend it is genius -- I'm totally using that!!
Just make sure you remember to put it in the stocking early enough. I sometimes wait until the stocking is too full, and then I have to unpack a bunch of stuff to make the book itself fit. :o

We hang our stockings from those decorative metal hangers that sit on the mantle, which are nowhere near heavy enough to support the weight if stuffed stockings. So on Christmas morning our stockings are always on the hearth, with items that wouldn't fit stacked next to each stocking.
We hang ours from a nail. Every year, I think they won't hold up to the weight, but we haven't had to take any down yet.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#63 of 88 Old 12-20-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post

Santa arranges each person's gifts in a special area in the living room- he never wraps, and all toys are taken out of the package and assembled ( I am so grateful for oldest DD's iPhone 5c, medium DD's iPad mini, and DS's Wii u this year- only one kiddo to put toys together for on Christmas Eve! Woot!!). He fills stockings and none of that stuff is wrapped, either. He's even bringing a bunch of toys for the ferrets this year ;)

My kids have insisted that the guinea pigs get stockings this year, so they're getting a few treats.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#64 of 88 Old 12-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Stocking stuffers from us are always unwrapped... I buy too many to wrap them! And I wrap everything else, if DH thought he could get away with it he'd have me wrap my own. My mom used to make me! But stocking stuffers from family usually come wrapped :)

Santa presents have always been wrapped in paper that is hidden and only used for Santa stuff. However this year DD2's present is far too big to wrap so I've bought ribbon and I'm going to leave DD1's present unwrapped and I'll pull it out of it's box and put ribbon on it too ;)

DH's stocking this year will have

-a movie

-$10 itunes card

-underwear

-those small cheap one size fits all gloves (5 pairs) because he likes them for work

-a magazine

-chocolate

-a couple of ornaments

-and a big tin of macadamia nuts

and I may be missing stuff

The kids will be getting in various different color/sets combos

-cheap dollar store christmas rainbow looms
-mitts/socks/notepads/pen from targets one spot

-a Beanie Boo

-another small stuffy (each child has their own animal that they've gotten in their stocking each year)

-chocolate and candy

-hair bows and ties

-$10 itune gift cards

-a "child" barbie

-a family pocket game from Discovery toys

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#65 of 88 Old 12-20-2013, 04:10 PM

Lol, Storm Bride- with multiple dogs, cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, ferrets, and reptiles, the kids have been after me for years to do animal stockings. I've flat out refused- stockings for 4 kids is enough, lol! But the ferrets haven't gotten anything really good to play with since we got them, and I know the kids will get a HUGE kick out of Santa bringing them ;)

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#66 of 88 Old 12-20-2013, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Aw that's cute. I still have (badly sewn) stockings I made for my gerbils when I was little. We do pet presents here: sock O' catnip, deer ribs for the dog, guinea pig gets the greens from the carrots the girls put out for Santa's raindeer.
#67 of 88 Old 12-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We always did pet stockings too when we had pets. Our beloved dog died 4 days before Christmas a few years ago, and her gifts were all wrapped and ready to be tucked into her stocking. greensad.gif My DS took the little bone decorations off her stocking and hung them from his stocking loop, so we have a little reminder of her hanging with our stockings each year at Christmas time. love.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#68 of 88 Old 12-21-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

This is the first year I've ever done a pet stocking. We never did them when I was growing up, and I never did them when I had cats (my ex brought them home, then I had them as a single, and for the first couple years with dh). But, the kids are really big on the guinea pig stockings.

#69 of 88 Old 12-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

Found one more thing for husband's stocking at Dollar Tree today - a four-pack of Nature Valley granola bars. He likes them and we almost never buy that kind of thing, so I figured why not? And found a package of mini Play-Doh (in the candy cane shaped packaging) at Target today for $1 off, so I picked up one. I'll put a red and green one in Little Man's stocking, and save the rest for other small treats this year, like his Easter basket and birthday party gift bags. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#70 of 88 Old 12-22-2013, 01:48 PM

I hit the jackpot at Kohl's last night, and was able to finish DH's stocking. I added a wallet, a reversible black/brown belt, a wall-mountable bottle opener, and running socks. Woohoo, I am officially DONE!!!

#71 of 88 Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Interesting to read how everyone does their Santa gifts. In our house, Santa wraps everything, even stocking stuffers, but with different paper than DH and I use. I like that wrapped stocking stuffers take longer to go through.
I like the idea of wrapped stocking stuffers, but I just don't want to do that much more wrapping...plus, I sometimes really cram stuffers into the stocking, so the paper would probably get ripped. I also like to break things up. For example, the electrical tape I give the kids comes in a package of five rolls, but I put each roll in separately, and scatter them through the stocking.

The tip about putting a rolled coloring book in the top of a stocking to extend it is genius -- I'm totally using that!!
It works really well. I've been doing it for years. The trick is to remember to put it in the stocking early enough. Sometimes, I wait too long, then I can't cram the book/magazine in, so I have to unpack.

We hang our stockings from those decorative metal hangers that sit on the mantle, which are nowhere near heavy enough to support the weight if stuffed stockings. So on Christmas morning our stockings are always on the hearth, with items that wouldn't fit stacked next to each stocking.

#72 of 88 Old 12-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Stockings were a bit hit here! Hope everyone's hard work picking and choosing was much appreciated, and I hope everyone is having a lovely holiday! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#73 of 88 Old 12-25-2013, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My oldest said opening her stocking is always her favorite part! Which makes my heart happy as it's my favorite part to do and open too! My stocking was also awesome!!!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#74 of 88 Old 12-25-2013, 01:39 PM

Stockings were a big hit here too! With the kids and my Mom, anyway-DH and I haven't opened ours yet. Hope everyone is having a wonderfull Christmas! smile.gif
#75 of 88 Old 12-25-2013, 07:52 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My kids absolutely loved their stockings, too.  Thanks all for the stocking inspiration!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#76 of 88 Old 12-25-2013, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

A lot of stocking happiness here too! :throb A lot of the little gifts are already in use!

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#77 of 88 Old 12-26-2013, 05:24 PM

My son was particularly pleased with a pair of cheap fingerless gloves and nail clippers. :lol

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#78 of 88 Old 12-26-2013, 06:42 PM

Ya, funny what the favorites are...my 5 yo's fave was halloween stick-on nails that DH threw in by accident 'cause my stashes got mixed up. DD 12 was over the moon with her signed trading cards, which made me happy because they were hard to find.
#79 of 88 Old 12-26-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Favourites are interesting. DS1's favourite was the Zippo wick. DD1's was the battery operated toothbrush. DS2's favourite was probably the little temporary tattoo of a drum that I threw in for the heck of it (each of the kids got one - dd1's was a keyboard, ds1's was a guitar, and dd2's was a music note). I'm not sure about dd2...she liked everything a lot...maybe the Hello Kitty notepad.

#80 of 88 Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 PM

I think Little Man's favorite was either the mini flashlight or the chocolate Santa. And for those that want to start on next year... most of Target One Spot is 50% off today! I didn't find any stocking stuffers, but I did get a few Hello Kitty items for the gift stash for my nieces. 

#81 of 88 Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 PM

Yes, the favorites are always a surprise! This year my son's favorite gift by far is the $3 potato gun I picked up on a whim in the checkout lane at Hobby Lobby. He played with it all day today! lol.gif

#82 of 88 Old 11-10-2014, 10:53 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
bumping this up!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#83 of 88 Old 11-11-2014, 07:37 AM
AAK

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Ok, I see someone bumped this thread-- perfect timing as I was just thinking about this.

This year, my oldest is really into the Avengers (for Halloween, we created an outfit for a USO Girl from the first Captain America movie). Therefore, rather than being super practical, I am planning on filling her stocking with "fandom" stuff. This isn't just the Avengers. . . she also still loves Harry Potter, Sherlock, Merlin, etc. I already have some socks, gloves, etc. to go with this theme.

I am really struggling to come up with ideas for my middle child this year, so I am thinking hard about this. She is newly 12 and has been getting a lot more independence. I think there might be some movie tickets, or froyo gift card in the mix, but I don't wan the stocking to get super expensive before it is full.

My youngest just wants to create. I think her stocking will have lots of art/craft/woodworking supplies.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (12), Maya (8). 
#84 of 88 Old 11-11-2014, 09:13 AM

I was just looking at this thread yesterday!

I haven't done much for stockings yet, just some lego minifigs and a similar thing for minecraft. A little dirt cube with a mystery figure inside. I've been poking around amazon and have a few on there for DH. A magnesium firestarter, tobasco chocolate, and a magnetic wristband to hold nails or screws. I'll be making my trip to World Market after Thanksgiving.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#85 of 88 Old 11-11-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I suggest tangerines since they are in season in warmer climates, maple syrup candy, earrings, necklaces, collectable coins, little books, little dolls.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#86 of 88 Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I haven't been here in a while, but got an email that this thread was live again. I, for the first time ever, haven't even started shopping for stocking stuffers. It's on my schedule for next week. We've also signed up as sponsor for our local Christmas Bureau, so I'm going to start keeping an eye out for "extras" to throw into the hamper.

I'm glad the thread got bumped. It's been a crazy few weeks and I'm not in stocking mode yet. This should get me fired back up.

#87 of 88 Old Today, 09:19 AM

I love finding little bits and pieces for stockings, it's also the time I can indulge the kids in things I don't normally buy.

DD is really into drawing at the moment so she has a tin of drawing pencils, sketch book and a mini posable figure. Also found some nail stencils for her which I think she'll like.

DS is usually a bit harder to find things for but thing year we seem to be doing OK. I've found a couple of little fidget toys I think he'll like, a hex bug, and some minion socks. He's asked to take a pencil case to school so that something else to go in.

Both kids will probably have a jar of marshmallow fluff, they ask every time they see it in the supermarket, no doubt some other edible bits will make their way in too. Oh and nerf darts, since we lost quite a few over the summer.
#88 of 88 Old Today, 02:06 PM

Picked up a few things in One Spot at Target for Little Man's stocking - a Peanut's Christmas train toy with candy inside, a Rudolph coloring book and a Rudolph activity pack.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page