what is on your Christmas list? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)

As the title says :)

Try and keep in under $100 - I am looking for ideas to steel.  

so, mine thus far:

1.  Socks to wear in bed.  Warm, fuzzy, elastic free at the top.

2.  A Scarf.  The long dressy kind.

3.  a chainsaw.  Yeah.  The weed trees have gotten away from me.

4.  a Toblerone - the big one!

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 223 Post(s)

oh, and a little under eye roller - not sure if they work, to get rid of bags.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 31 Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

Hmm, I'd like a pair of gloves.  Lightweight black fleece ones, with a palm that won't slip on the steering wheel.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#4 of 31 Old 11-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

crafty stuff

I Heart My Little A-Holes by Karen Alpert

money towards decorating our baby beans nursery..or the actual stuff I pinned to go decorate his nursery

leather baby moccasins

maternity clothes

Wife, mom of 3, obsessed with photography, crafting and blogging http://annleaartsy.blogspot.com/
#5 of 31 Old 11-26-2013, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Books mostly. I just did a Book Depository order and bought my birthday and Christmas presents for DH to give me. 6 books = $120 delivered. I LOVE book depository.

I ordered

- the new Kathy Reich
- the new Elizabeth Berg
- the Pioneer Woman autobiography thingy about meeting Malboro Man and moving to the farm (BTW, did you know there is a whole anti-PW movement out there? I had no idea!)
- StoryBook Toys 16 doll and toy patterns based on vintage toys - I have been coveting this since it was released
- the MaryFrancis sewing book (to go with Storybook Toys)

And I can't remember the 6th one. Haha, maybe I will have a surprise present after all lol.gif

The other thing I love, which I will be suggesting to family who ask is gift vouchers for my local fabric/craft shop. I spend hundreds there and it is nice to do it guilt-free bag.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 31 Old 11-26-2013, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I have the hardest time of thinking of things I want so that I can give people ideas of what to give me. I always think of good things at the last minute. I am still thinking. I would like some comfy waterproof boots.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#7 of 31 Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 PM

Nothing. I've spent way too much of the family money on ebooks in the last few months.

Some items that I've asked for in the past (I'd guess all under $100, as I don't think I've ever asked for anything over that):

Crystal figurines (I collect them).

Novels, CDs, DVDs.

Concert tickets.

KItchen appliances (blender, breadmaker) .

Books on interests of the moment (calligraphy, furniture refinishing, candlemaking).

hmm...I can't really think of anything else. My mom and godmother used to buy me clothes a lot, because I hate shopping and they knew I'd wear them, and wanted me to change my wardrobe. I wore the stuff they bought for work, mostly. There's really not a whole lot that I want that I don't already have, so my focus was usually on books. If I hadn't gone so overboard recently, I'd want gift cards for the Kobo store this year.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 31 Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 AM

I really want money/gift cards to put towards tattoos.

Gift cards to Forever 21 and Sephora
Art work
Anything Hello Kitty

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#9 of 31 Old 11-28-2013, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Books and kitchen stuff are usually on my list. A few things I've been thinking about -

- A nice non-stick omelette pan. 

- A giant mixing bowl (like 20 quarts, with a metal ring so it can be hung on the wall or a pot rack, because really - where are you going to store something like that?).

- The Spruce upholstery book by Amanda Brown

I also appreciate nice cosmetics, but will not spend the money on myself, so my husband usually picks out a set for me each year from Sephora. This year I hinted that this eye shadow kit would be highly appreciated. 

And since my health has gotten a bit more challenging in the past year, really manual cooking (like kneading bread dough and whipping egg whites and things) has gotten a little difficult due to joint and muscle pain, so I've finally put a Kitchenaid stand mixer on my wish list. But that's a pretty big purchase for us, so it'll likely be something we save up for and watch for sales or a good second hand one and buy for the house, instead of as a gift item. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#10 of 31 Old 11-29-2013, 07:07 AM

I'd love a maid. Not gonna happen.

So I'm settling for new running shoes and a case for my new phone

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#11 of 31 Old 11-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

Hot glue gun

Blaze orange vest and hat for my autumn walks in the woods

Tickets to the Cinerama theater to see the Desolation of Smaug

Extended DVD of the Unexpected Journey

I always love fun, stripey wool knee highs

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#12 of 31 Old 11-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'd like a set of cotton sheets with a decently high thread count (250+) in a pretty color like turquoise or apple green to contrast with my (subdued) orange walls (Benjamin Moore's Toasted Coconut.) I recently scored an Indian Kantha bedspread similar to this: http://www.majestic-india.com/Kantha-Quilt-Pink-Multi. And new colorful sheets would be so nice with it. Besides, I'm down to one set since one ripped. 

I'd love wood storage shelves, deep and open on all sides, for my studio. I think I'm going to have to build them myself but I can dream...

I wouldn't mind some pretty sock yarn. I just knit myself a second pair of socks because I've been wearing the one pair I made myself a few years ago so much. I don't really like the feel of wool but I wear them over a pair of thin cotton socks and they make such a big difference in keeping my feet warm.

I'd like a folding platform cart. I use a 2 wheel dolly that is meant for moving cylindrical things like barrels and needs to be tipped. A platform cart where I could transport things without tipping would great. My job entails a lot of hauling and it would be nice to be able to let go of my load while waiting for the elevator.

A tire pump for bikes.

Decent hair clippers since I cut everyone's hair and the set I have can barely get through dh's thin hair, let alone ds's.

I saw a jewelry kit at Beadaholique that I like. I don't necessarily want the kit but I wouldn't mind a necklace similar to it:  http://www.beadaholique.com/p-33806-supplies-for-project-n233-mighty-oak-necklace.aspx

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#13 of 31 Old 11-29-2013, 10:48 AM

A yummy bottle of red wine.
Assorted goat cheese.
A bread machine!
New pans
New Pyrex storage containers
New cookie sheets

A full night of sleep! (Maybe next year.)
#14 of 31 Old 11-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

A big bag of embroidery floss

Some new socks

Wow, smallest and most pathetic list ever. :lol

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#15 of 31 Old 11-29-2013, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hmm. I haven't made an official list yet.

-The huge two-volume, rather expensive Craig Keener book on miracles

-Non-fiction, interesting books in general. Well-written stuff about history, food, the English language, medicine - think Bill Bryson, Michael Pollan, that kind of thing.

-A gift voucher to a shop that sells quilting cottons. (Or Spotlight, but at Spotlight I might end up spending it boringly on zips and elastic thread and similar sewing 'groceries', whereas at a fancy quilting shop I'd *have* to spend it on some lovely quilting cotton I couldn't otherwise justify buying!)

-A big jug of Grade B maple syrup

-Cake stands with domes

Probably more, but that's all I can think of right now. I'd kinda like vouchers for places to eat in America, but they're probably tricky to get from here.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#16 of 31 Old 12-02-2013, 12:02 PM

kozy mei tai carrier with the poe print!

gaia tarot cards

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#17 of 31 Old 12-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

new case for my phone since my current one is breaking

2 spare batteries + charger for my phone (charges the batteries when they're out of the phone so you can charge while not being tied to a cord)

Blue October's new cd

the hyperbole and a half book

a serger (totally not under $100! haha...and I'm dreaming, but hoping one day...)

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#18 of 31 Old 12-02-2013, 05:42 PM

I don't make a list seeing as there isn't anyone to buy me a gift, but I'll dream:

Water based oil paints

A few larger canvases 

Sturdy floor easel 

Hmm, that's already over $100.  LOL.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#19 of 31 Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
E-book gift card
Decorative ladder to lean against the wall and hang blankets on
Unrimmed sauce pot for candy making (so that I can clip my candy thermometer on more easily)
A new set of sheets (like another poster, we're down to one set because one ripped)
Books: Bill Bryson, Oliver Sacks, Stephen King's Dr. Sleep
New hair dryer
Cards Against Humanity

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#20 of 31 Old 12-03-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Chalkboard labels for my kitchen dry goods jars.

Really soft pajamas.

Cookbooks. Always cookbooks. Got a basic Kindle for my b-day, so thinking I could put some cookbooks on that.

Some things DH gets me for special occasions - Raincoast crisps (the yummy crackers  that are like $8 for a package) & goat cheese spread, Belgian chocolate.

Some shoes that fit my orthotics, but don't look orthotic (!) I would say Dansko's, but those are over $100.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#21 of 31 Old 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Chalkboard labels for my kitchen dry goods jars.

Run to Target One Spot right now! They have six packs of them (half red border, half teal) for $1 right now!!! Call it a Christmas gift to yourself - I picked up half a dozen the other day. :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#22 of 31 Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Run to Target One Spot right now! They have six packs of them (half red border, half teal) for $1 right now!!! Call it a Christmas gift to yourself - I picked up half a dozen the other day. :-)

Aaaaaah! Must do. Was at Target yesterday & didn't see them. Thx for the tip!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#23 of 31 Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just got those chalkboard labels too! I kind of want to go get some more :-)

#24 of 31 Old 12-04-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Aaaaaah! Must do. Was at Target yesterday & didn't see them. Thx for the tip!

You might have to dig around about - I find mine buried under a bunch of labels and gift tags. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsummer View Post

I just got those chalkboard labels too! I kind of want to go get some more :-)

Me too! And the best part was, I got mine for 80 cents a piece with the 20% Cartwheel discount back when they had that. Major score. And then at Michaels I picked up a four pack of chalk markers with a 50% off coupon, making them just over $6. Michaels does have another 50% off coupon good through Saturday 12/7 right now, that you can print off their website or get in mobile form on Retail Me Not. 

#25 of 31 Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 AM

I have asked for:

A pendant necklace - http://www.orlajames.com/pendants (This is also for an anniversary so I don't even feel bad for asking!!

Some lovely bath salts and treats, its been a long time since I have had a nice soak!

No chocolate because I am sure I will eat enough already!

A soft throw for the sofa for when it gets a bit chilly, I have seen a lot of really beautiful ones on http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/, if you are looking for ideas that is a great place to start! They also have lovely jewellery, probably best for my budget too!

I have also found this website which has been great! http://www.yummymummygifts.co.uk/

I hope this helps!

Nat

#26 of 31 Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 PM

I asked for new Corelle.  How exciting right?  I love love love my fiesta but my kids are way too hard on it and we are down to like 5 bowls.  Plus I have very limited cupboard space and you can fit about 4xs the corelle as opposed to fiesta.  I know this is what I am getting :)

I would love a pair of cute grey boots- totally impractical- because I would want heels and can't handle heels this winter because of my stupid foot sprain (and one looks ridiculous being overly pg or carrying a newborn in heels).  

A LLBean down throw- those look absolutely amazing.  I don't know if I could spend that much on a throw blanket- but regardless if I get Christmas money- I really really want one to snuggle up with my new little one on the couch with.  

A packable down coat (maybe I can score one cheap in like feb after baby when it would actually fit)  This would be a wonderful change after not being able to close any of my nice coats and being stuck in my ratty chore Carhartt for the past couple of weeks and the foreseeable future :(

Wool tights for after baby

Some books I have been wanting to read.

A cleaning lady

A babysitter for the random trip to the grocery store

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#27 of 31 Old 12-08-2013, 07:34 AM

Oof. 

A gift certificate to Mountain Rose Herbs

Beekeeping starter kit + book about beekeeping

Nice wool slipper socks

Maybe a new laptop? Mine's old and the screen is cracked + the keys don't work. Which is fine because I hook it up to my big ole' monitor and use it like a desktop but..I mean, I wouldn't MIND a new one. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#28 of 31 Old 12-09-2013, 07:28 AM

Wow those pendants are beautiful! I want one too!

#29 of 31 Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 PM

I'm hoping for a nice Cashmere sweater :)

#30 of 31 Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 AM

A sewing machine!  That's all I want.  Plus maybe a serger, but now we are definitely over a hundred bucks.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page