Quick winter vacation ideas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wow, I have not been on MDC for ages- I spent many years of my life on these forums and it feels good to be back :)  

I don't know where else to ask this...our kids are getting a little older now and MIL has offered to take them for a few days over the winter break.  We have not gotten to travel much in our lives, and I realized this would be an awesome opportunity to go somewhere fun as a couple.  The problem is, of course at this point everything anywhere warm is booked or super expensive.  

We don't have passports yet so it has to be somewhere in the US, and we're coming from the east coast, and has to be somewhere relatively nearby (within a 2 hr flight or so).  Can't find anything in Florida of course.  I'm sort of giving up on the idea of it being somewhere warm, that seems impossible at this late date.  

Any ideas?

#2 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Which winter break?  I mean, December / January, or at the end of February?

And welcome back!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#3 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh! Sorry for not being clear! For us there is only one winter break- at the end of December between Christmas and New Year's! I'm way too late to be planning this!
#4 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

We're in the northeast, too, and my ideal vacation is even farther north and east -- we spent a week each over a couple of summers at a rental in Lubec, Maine.  Not exactly a warm getaway, and very low-key, but absolutely beautiful.  I checked the place we were, and it looks like it might be available, plus they seem to have an emergency generator now.  That's either a plus (because they have it) or a huge minus (because they need it?)!  Anyhow, I can send you info if you want a PM.

As for warmer places, if you can't find something in FL, and you'd like a city trip, maybe something like Charleston, New Orleans, Savannah, or Alexandria (though VA gets nasty weather that time of year)? 

There's always the stay-cation idea, too, if your MIL will take your little people at her place.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page