December -- What did you accomplish today? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 95 Old 12-02-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Still waiting for back to "normal" after the holiday weekend:

- got up early and dropped my mother at her place so she could wait for furnace inspection / cleaning person

- mailed DS2's care package at post office

- brought down our tiny Christmas tree and set it up (DH, DS1, and DS2 will not hear of replacing it)

- made a couple of admin phone calls:  banking and medical info

- folded a load of laundry; washed and hung another

- filed some papers

- sorted some papers in the attic

- took dog for walk

- did my PT stretches

- went to a municipal subcommittee meeting

- hung out with DH

- chatted with DS1

What's a granny square?  :-)

adinal likes this.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#2 of 95 Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Okay, people we can do a monthly thread! Fairly productive day in and around The Office Job today - 

- Printed the new month's coupons. 

- Made a doctor's appointment for myself.

- Tried to coordinate a cookie baking day with my sister, but she works retail so it's proving to be difficult to find a free day. 

- Printed some gift certificates from my Restaurant.com account so they're ready to use. 

- Stopped at the library to let Little Man play and get some new books, and I found a few for myself. 

- Picked up Chinese takeout with one of the gift certificates (husband has a sprained ankle so we needed an easy evening). 

- Tidied the house. 

- Did the dinner/bedtime routine with Little Man. 

- Switched over the laundry from the washing machine to dryer - I'm hoping it's done soon!

- Packed lunch for work. 

- Laid out my clothes for tomorrow. 

So I just need to get the laundry upstairs in a bit, then I'm going to relax in bed with my library books, and hopefully be asleep by ten!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 95 Old 12-02-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

What's a granny square?  :-)

And oh - it's a crochet thing - you know like those afghans made up with the different colored blocks? Those are called granny squares. :-) 

adinal likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 95 Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Granny square:
http://www.purlbee.com/crochet-tutorials/granny-squares.html

I was working on this one:
http://www.e-lys.com/patterns/circled_granny_square_US.pdf

I'm making a scarf for my daughter. smile.gif

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 95 Old 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Today we
*ran errands
*did school
*ate lunch (some days this gets away from older dd and I)
*finished another granny square
*watched some Doctor Who bag.gif
*worked
*2 loads of laundry

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 95 Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 PM

A mildly productive day here - 

- Put gas in the car. 

- Popped into Dollar Tree on part scouting mission (to see what name-brand items they have in stock that I can match coupons with) and part getting Little Man out for a bit. 

- Printed some coupons. 

- Window shopped coupon binders online (I'm thinking about getting one for myself as a birthday present - with a coupon, of course!). 

- Did a short survey online for a free magazine subscription. 

- Signed up for Ebates. 

- Messed around on Swagbucks (I'm fairly close to earning $10 for Amazon, so I'm going to stick with it through that and then likely ditch it and switch to Ebates). 

- Did some Recyclebanks. 

I need to organize my coupons and make my grocery list for this week, as well as address the Christmas cards and some thank you cards I need to send, but who knows how far I'll get with that. It's already almost 8:30, and I'm tired. 

#7 of 95 Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Not too bad so far:

- did the sounding board thing with DH about something he's got going on

- slow start with other things, late breakfast

- called doc's office to fax some records to a clinic for one of my sons

- phone call with vet about my dog, she has a mass on her spleen and we're considering surgery, etc. (vet is leaning benign, by the way)

- internet research so I could worry more about her than I already am

- helped my mother with thank-you notes and donations to hospital and rehab center from her illness over the summer

- took them down our very long driveway to the mailbox

- combed about a cubic foot of fur off my dog

- kept the fire going; brought in wood

- had a light lunch

- cut back all my roses; they're the wild rugosa and proliferate like a sci-fi movie

- forgot to mention, went through some papers in the attic and purged / recycled a small pile

Still have to:

- do stretches

- make soup for dinner

- start talking to DS1 and DS2 about our dog's situation

- turn on the holiday lights, dammit  :-)

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#8 of 95 Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks AdinaL and kitchensqueen for granny square def -- my mother made a couple of bedspreads with those, just gorgeous!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

Today we
*ran errands
*did school
*ate lunch (some days this gets away from older dd and I)
*finished another granny square
*watched some Doctor Who bag.gif
*worked
*2 loads of laundry

And yay!  DS1 calls DS2 a "Dr. Who retro-grouch."  Original series all the way.  We have VHS tapes in huge bins from when our PBS station used to broadcast them.  Much geek cred.

#9 of 95 Old 12-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Nice! I resisted watching the new series for a long time. My dad and I watched the old series when I was a kid and I loved it. But I finally gave in. The new series is really good! So my heart has room for both. lol.gif

#10 of 95 Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM

The only Dr. Who I can watch is David Tennant. He is just is Dr. Who to me - though I know by virtue of who he is, he'll always be different...

Today was mildly productive - 

- Printed and clipped a ton of coupons. 

- Organized my coupons. 

Now I'm going to work on my shopping list and match ups for a little while. 

#11 of 95 Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm surrounded by infidels!  :)

The usual stuff today -- fire maintenance, walk with dog, some more paper purging in the attic.  I also:

- made a loaf of GF bread for my mother

- portioned out and froze an apple cake she'd made last week

- folded a load of laundry and put some of it away

- went out to the natural food store and got some groceries

Pretty quiet here, too.

Have to add, because it's so cute:

- adopted a hedgehog in a zoo for DS2's Christmas present

#12 of 95 Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Really great day today, since I only had to work in the morning! Husband and Little Man met me in the city for our annual trip to Christkindlemarkt for my birthday. So we had a fun day - 

- Got our annual German brats, pretzels and winter beverages (gluewine for me in a collectible mug, and Bischoff pilsner for husband). 

- Walked around the market looking at all the great Christmas stalls, and checking out the Christmas tree.  

- Bought our annual bag of Nuremberg gingerbread cookies. 

- Bought out annual blown glass ornament (though this year we got two small ones instead of one large one - Little Man picked out a train engine and a firetruck). 

- Stopped at the post office for Christmas stamps for our cards. 

- Went to Hobby Lobby to treat myself - I got a coupon binder with my 40% coupon, and also picked up a cute bronze/silver vintage-looking bee pendant to make a necklace out of (only $2!) and found a great wipe-off canvas board in an orange print with "Give Thanks" on it - marked down 90% in the fall clearance section! So I got for only $2, when it was originally $20! I think it will be great to write out our Thanksgiving menus or thankful list on next year. Oh, and also picked up a set of colored Christmas lights for Little Man's room, since they were only $5. So basically, I got $56 worth of merchandise for $25 - not too shabby! 

- Ordered barbecue carry out for dinner, which husband went and picked up. 

- Hung out with Little Man watching the train and sitting on the couch. 

- Had a picnic dinner on the floor at our "campsite" - husband even lit a bunch of tea lights on a cake plate, surrounded with twigs for our "campfire" - Little Man thought it was so neat! A very fun dinner time tonight. 

And that's it - a great day. We might watch a movie and just relax, and husband made me birthday brownies for my cake. :-) 

#13 of 95 Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Really great day today, since I only had to work in the morning! Husband and Little Man met me in the city for our annual trip to Christkindlemarkt for my birthday. So we had a fun day - 

- Got our annual German brats, pretzels and winter beverages (gluewine for me in a collectible mug, and Bischoff pilsner for husband). 

- Walked around the market looking at all the great Christmas stalls, and checking out the Christmas tree.  

- Bought our annual bag of Nuremberg gingerbread cookies. 

- Bought out annual blown glass ornament (though this year we got two small ones instead of one large one - Little Man picked out a train engine and a firetruck). 

- Stopped at the post office for Christmas stamps for our cards. 

- Went to Hobby Lobby to treat myself - I got a coupon binder with my 40% coupon, and also picked up a cute bronze/silver vintage-looking bee pendant to make a necklace out of (only $2!) and found a great wipe-off canvas board in an orange print with "Give Thanks" on it - marked down 90% in the fall clearance section! So I got for only $2, when it was originally $20! I think it will be great to write out our Thanksgiving menus or thankful list on next year. Oh, and also picked up a set of colored Christmas lights for Little Man's room, since they were only $5. So basically, I got $56 worth of merchandise for $25 - not too shabby! 

- Ordered barbecue carry out for dinner, which husband went and picked up. 

- Hung out with Little Man watching the train and sitting on the couch. 

- Had a picnic dinner on the floor at our "campsite" - husband even lit a bunch of tea lights on a cake plate, surrounded with twigs for our "campfire" - Little Man thought it was so neat! A very fun dinner time tonight. 

And that's it - a great day. We might watch a movie and just relax, and husband made me birthday brownies for my cake. :-) 

birthday.gif  Sounds like a wonderful day!

#14 of 95 Old 12-06-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

birthday.gif  Sounds like a wonderful day!

Thanks, it was! Now today I'm getting ready to leave the house for doctor's appointment and running errands, hahaha! But at least I don't have to go to work. 

#15 of 95 Old 12-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Crazy busy day here so far - 

- Stopped at the bank for quarters for laundry. 

- Went to doctor's appointment number 1. 

- Stopped at Michaels for coupon organizer pages, but they didn't have any. Didn't come out empty-handed though - found a green turkey dish for 60 cents, and two Thanksgiving food gift sticker sets for 30 cents each in the fall clearance section. And all the Christmas stuff was on 50-60% off clearance, so I got 3 springs of glittered red berries to go in our pine bough arrangement for $1 each. 

- Ran into Cost Plus for our family Christmas gift - this year's nutcracker. Also found a few stocking stuffers. 

- Went to Target #1 for diapers (2 boxes get a $20 gift card through Saturday 12/7!)

- Got myself a gingerbread latte and some madelines and called it breakfast....

- Went to doctor's appointment number 2. 

- Went to Target #2 for groceries - used my $20 gift card, plus coupons and Cartwheel - ended up getting $90 worth of stuff for $50. That included 3 new shirts for Little Man that I found on clearance. 

- Put away the groceries.

- Hid the Christmas stuff I picked up. 

- Put the berry springs in the pine bough arrangement. 

- Browsed some catalogs I got in the mail. 

- Packed an overnight bag for Little Man. 

Whew!

Now we're getting ready to leave to drop off Little Man. Then we need to pick up some prescriptions on the way home, and we may stop at another Michaels on the way home because I have a few 50% coupons that expire tomorrow, and if we have enough time, pop into Savers and check that out. Then home for a romantic dinner, a movie and some quality alone time with husband. :-) 

#16 of 95 Old 12-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Another whirlwind day here. Last night was great though - husband and I went by Savers (awesome!) and then came home and he cooked dinner for me and we watched Man of Steel. Then this morning, we slept in until 9:30! I seriously can't remember the last time we did that. Then this morning - 

- Husband made me pancakes for breakfast and we lounged around for awhile. 

- Picked up my prescriptions at Walgreens. 

- Stopped into Dominicks because a friend tipped me that they're at 50% household, pharmacy and baby - got some awesome deals. 

- Went home to pick up coupons and went back to Dominicks for a second round (crazy I know, but the deals were killer - I got a fair amount of stuff for free with the coupons). 

And now I'm home. We're relaxing on the couch for a bit waiting for Little Man to come home. Though I need to get up and reorganize the linen closet and pantry so I can put the stuff away! 

#17 of 95 Old 12-08-2013, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll do yesterday since today is sorta' just starting. 

Saturday;

Got bagels for family (after a morning of lazy Christmas movie watching) 

DD puked (after saying she didn't want bagel) made her a lavender/peppermint oil blend for her fever and some soothing tummy-tea and sent her to bed

Left DS (and sleeping DD) with DH and went to my Dad's house to pick up clean clothes + toiletries + mail. 

Went to hospital to visit my Dad (who's got Stage IV lung cancer..has been in hospital for days so my days are visiting him and scrambling) 

Stopped at market on way home for fridge stuff + quick dinner to make + loose greens for front of house

Made dinner for everyone + helped DH clean up playroom

Changed sheets + washed all blankets in house

Went to barn (in dark! I forget it gets dark early) because DH forgot. Fed the goats + ducks + rabbits and gave everyone love. 

Fed the dogs when I got back

Put everyone to bed (after more tea + oils for DD) 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#18 of 95 Old 12-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Husband let me sleep in today - until 11:30! I didn't even know I was capable of sleeping that long anymore, but it was so nice. I think it's the first time I've gotten more than eight hours of sleep in years. 

After that, I haven't done much today - 

- Got Little Man his lunch and put him down for his nap (though he's still in there crowing and singing...)

- Loaded the dishwasher and put it on. 

- Cleaned the stove top. 

- Moved everything off of the kitchen counters and wiped them down well. 

- Cleaned the high chair. 

Still to do today - 

- Sweep the kitchen floor. 

- Clean the bathroom sink. 

- Bake something for breakfast. 

- Work on a guest blog and author bio for a magazine site. 

- Blog a few posts for my own blog. 

- Usual Sunday night prep stuff - organize the work bag, pack lunches, lay out clothes. 

- Address and stamp the Christmas cards. 

Guess I'd better get to it! I'm really excited because it's snowing, and actually sticking! So maybe we'll bake some cookies this afternoon too. 

#19 of 95 Old 12-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Whew

This morning we put together our Shrinky Dink advent Christmas set

I made pasta with veggies for lunch (and we ate together, normally doesn't happen) 

Visited my Dad again and went to feed his cat

Came home/barn work

Set about with kids sticking some cloves into oranges to fill the house with the lovely smell of Christmas

Not much done today ;/ 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#20 of 95 Old 12-08-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

Whew

This morning we put together our Shrinky Dink advent Christmas set

I made pasta with veggies for lunch (and we ate together, normally doesn't happen) 

Visited my Dad again and went to feed his cat

Came home/barn work

Set about with kids sticking some cloves into oranges to fill the house with the lovely smell of Christmas

Not much done today ;/ 

I think your list is pretty good, considering all you've got going on. Sorry about your Dad - that must be rough. I am curious about your Advent calendar - is that something you guys made, or did you buy it somewhere?

I got a few more things done that I intended to - 

- Swept the kitchen floor. 

- Cleaned the bathroom sink. 

- Addressed and stamped the Christmas cards. 

- Packed my lunch for work. 

- Laid out my clothes for work and set the alarm. 

Still need to figure out breakfast for tomorrow, organize my work bag and work on the blogging stuff. Guess I better get to if I'm actually going to get it all done. 

#21 of 95 Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 AM

Thanks momma xx, it's so rough trying to balance everything. Normally I'm on top of the world the entire month of December but I'm struggling..

Our Advent Calendar was bought by moi at a vintage-y type shop. I will take a picture for you later! It's pretty simple with little pockets for things. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I think your list is pretty good, considering all you've got going on. Sorry about your Dad - that must be rough. I am curious about your Advent calendar - is that something you guys made, or did you buy it somewhere?

I got a few more things done that I intended to - 

- Cleaned the bathroom sink. 

- Addressed and stamped the Christmas cards. 

- Packed my lunch for work. 

- Laid out my clothes for work and set the alarm. 

Still need to figure out breakfast for tomorrow, organize my work bag and work on the blogging stuff. Guess I better get to if I'm actually going to get it all done. 

#22 of 95 Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Running rabbit today:

- mailed DS2's care package

- took car in for light bulb replacement, of course one blew out on me while driving at night

- ran some errands, including picking up cute socks for sons' girlfriends

- got cipro for dog

- walked with dog in the icy needle rain

- purged some papers

- prepared a treasurer's report

- and I think I sprained my wrist  :(

#23 of 95 Old 12-10-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

Our Advent Calendar was bought by moi at a vintage-y type shop. I will take a picture for you later! It's pretty simple with little pockets for things. 

Cool. :-)

Decently productive day here, after work - 

- Did a few Swagbucks things - I'm so close to earning a few gift cards and closing it out. 

- Did some Recyclebanks stuff. 

- Ordered a Cooking Light magazine subscription with some of my Recyclebanks points. I'm hoping it helps with my dinner rut. 

- Mended a torn sleeve on one of my sweaters. 

- Laid out my clothes for work tomorrow. 

- Checked my bank account balance. 

I ought to make something for breakfast tomorrow, but I'm going to watch a movie with husband instead. 

#24 of 95 Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 PM

I watched my firstborn graduate to being a teenager. yikes2.gifAs of 6:08 AM. That is enough for one day!

MrsKoehn likes this.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#25 of 95 Old 12-11-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

I watched my firstborn graduate to being a teenager. yikes2.gifAs of 6:08 AM. That is enough for one day!

:rotflmao

Congratulations to you both!  It is *such* a great ride -- enjoy!

USAmma likes this.

#26 of 95 Old 12-12-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Miles to go yet, but made some progress:

- took mother to her house (she wanted to do some Christmas baking)

- returned the wrong-size drip trays I bought the other day

- bought groceries

- walked with dog

- kept the fire going

- put up our decorations

- did knee stretches

- picked up my mother; chatted with a neighbor of hers about snow clearing at her place this winter

Still have to:

- haul some of the pantry groceries down basement

- fold a dry load of laundry

- wash a dirty load

- go through my Christmas cards from last year, send a couple -- we hardly do any

- organize some leftovers into a lunch or two for DH

#27 of 95 Old 12-12-2013, 07:49 PM

Not a lot done today - 

- Made dinner. 

- Tidied the kitchen. 

- Wrote a guest blog post. 

- Reviewed some work emails. 

Things I should've done - 

- Wrote posts for my blog. 

- Wrapped Christmas presents. 

- Christmas cookie baking. 

- Actual work for work. 

Oh well, there's always tomorrow! Which I am actually trying not to think about since I have several deadlines due at work tomorrow and this week has just been brutal. Tomorrow is really going to be a crunch...

#28 of 95 Old 12-13-2013, 12:11 PM

My big project today was finishing up decorations inside. We got the tree up and decorated last week, but the rest of the interior of the house was still all normal. Now we're in full Christmas mode :)

mariamadly likes this.
#29 of 95 Old 12-13-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hit most of my list:

- scrubbed out the tub

- picked up a few groceries

- got wreaths for our balcony, and really great glass octopus and jellyfish ornaments for DS1 and DS2

- also found ornaments for their girlfriends

- picked up kibble and treats for dog

- took a walk with her

- hunted for sunflower flour sources / instructions / recipes online

- made DS2 pop tarts

- boxed up and froze a couple more lunches for DH

- dumped some yellow squash and zucchini into chicken stock for tonight's soup

- started DS2's care package

Still need to:

- wrap DS2's girlfriend's gift so I can include it in the care package

Really dragging here.  I think getting enough sleep should be next on my list.

We have a storm coming tomorrow afternoon into Sunday, and I'm trying to get my Monday morning things done ahead of it just in case the driving is still really bad; my mother's car is a small unproven-in-our-rural-neighborhood sedan, and I don't know how it'll do in case DH needs our 4WD.

#30 of 95 Old 12-13-2013, 06:05 PM

Not a bad day all around - 

- Unsubscribed from a bunch of email lists that were cluttering up my email. 

- Loaded the dishwasher and ran it. 

- Put away the clean dishes. 

- Pulled out some sanding sugars, sprinkles, pans and my Christmas apron for cookie baking at my aunt-in-law's house tomorrow. 

- Made dinner. 

- Did a survey for a free magazine subscription. 

- Did the dinner/bath/bedtime routine with Little Man. 

I really need to color my hair tonight, but we'll see. I really just want to eat my dinner and read my book instead... 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page