Is this even possible? (re: nursing school) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
So, DH has always wanted to be a nurse, but didn't have much direction in his younger years. He went to a community college and accumulated 77 credit hours, but I'm looking at his transcript now, and it's a hodgepodge of things and includes stuff like piano and weight training. There are a couple of Englishes and a couple of Social Studies courses, but I'm under the impression that DH thinks there are more core courses on his transcript than there actually are.

Anyway. In the past week or so, DH has thought about getting out of his current job (he's in the parts department of an automotive dealership). He applied to somewhere different in the industry and got a rejection email a few days later. Since then, he's been thinking about things and approached me last night about "continuing" his education ("continuing" in quotes since I'm not sure where he could pick up) and becoming a nurse.

I have no idea how we could do this, or if it's even possible. Even just getting into school alone would be a challenge, since everywhere I've looked, the minimum GPA to apply for nursing school is a 3.0. DH's GPA is 2.3. His most recent semester was the spring of '04 (and that was his A&P and medical terminology classes so they're going to be too old anyway). Then people are telling me that "nobody" hires associate's RNs anymore and you have to have a BSN. I don't know if he could start over from the beginning or if his old-ish credits would still count negatively and get averaged into his GPA. (The school he was at was in Oklahoma and we're now in Texas.)

Then there's the financial/time aspect. I don't know how much of this could be done online, but if DH were to quit his job to go to school full time, we would need some way to make up his loss of income in addition to school expenses. I can do some work, but it's not going to be nearly enough to make up the shortfall, and I've heard that student loans will only be given for school-related items and not for living expenses.

We've heard rumors about being able to get an associate's RN, then start work while continuing school and getting the BSN (and possibly the hospital or whatever sponsoring the continuing school in return for an agreement to work there for another X number of years after graduation), but again, that would mean that first he would need to get into school, make an appropriate GPA in all his classes, and then pass the NCLEX.

We were so excited while talking about all this last night, with the response we got to our Facebook posts, but now that I've looked at his transcript, I feel like this door is starting to close on his foot before we've even gotten it open enough to see what's inside.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#2 of 6 Old 12-10-2013, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread caught my eye and I hope I can answer some questions for you. First of all I think your dh is very lucky to have you support him in allowing him to explore his dream! If he pursues this dream, it may take awhile but if he plugs away at it, it's very possible to get his degree in nursing. :-) I had several older men in my nursing school program and well as some non-traditional women like myself.

There are many ways to approach nursing school. Most non-traditional students do it in bits. If possible, see a guidance counselor at a community college that offers the Associate's Degree in nursing. See how many of his credits can be accepted. You might be surprised about the science classes- they may or may not be accepted. I was surprised that so many of my pre-req's were accepted from more than 10 years previous on my transcript. Get a list from the counselor of what classes he needs to still take, and encourage him to enroll in 1 class to start. Night school is ideal for this so he can work during the day, take the class at night, and study on weekends. He can warm up with the one class and see if this is for him or not, before getting into it full time. I would encourage him to join a study group, even a small one, with his classmates. It makes a HUGE difference.

Many colleges offer on-line courses, but I don't recommend this for every class. In-person is still the best way to learn, especially if he will need the support of his classmates and teachers to succeed, which it sounds like he might at first, with his past GPA. But he can do it!!

Be aware that there is often a long waiting list to get into nursing school proper once the pre-req's are finished. In my state it's 2 years. Many students get their Certified Nursing Assistant certificate and work as CNA's while waiting to get into nursing school, or while they are in nursing school. This is a huge advantage and gives a small taste of what it's like to work with patients, assess health status, and work with/ talk with nurses about their education and job. It also counts as experience when getting a job as a nurse later.

RN vs. BSN. Yes, this is the trend right now. I have my RN degree which I got a couple of years ago. I'm nearly 40 and being strongly encouraged to get my BSN by my employer. Most good hospitals are looking to hire BSN's. However RN's are still widely used in home health, community health, and nursing homes among other things. There are many bridge programs that can provide RNs their BSN degree in a short time on-line. I am actually looking at University of Texas at Arlington's program as affordable and reputable, and I don't even live in Texas! If your husband wants to start looking at ads through different health care agencies, he can see what kind of degrees they are looking for. He may start out at a nursing home or such anyway, as hospitals often require 2 years experience. (That being said, I was hired as a new grad to a children's hospital through a special program for new grads, so it's still possible to get hired at hospital right off the bat.)

What it's like to go to nursing school: once the pre-req's are done, and he gets accepted into a program, it's hard. I won't lie. It was the hardest thing I have ever gone through and I have a previous degree in English and I had good grades in that degree. I was in a fast-track program and had to set my own needs and those of my family aside for 16 months and focus totally on the program. It was stressful for my family. But I also had a dream, I had the support of my husband and kids, found a great study group, and made it through the program. It was so worth it. I love my job. I work with a woman who graduated from nursing school at age 48 and she is one of the best nurses ever. So your dh can do it. But it's going to just take a lot of inner strength and outer support.

Good luck to your family!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 6 Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
So. There's a window of opportunity in a town (a little bitty town) two hours away from here that DH is pursuing. This opportunity is unrelated to nursing but could be a good move for our family. If we do that opportunity, we would definitely have to move though because it's two hours to get there if there's no traffic, and the shortest route in distance is just right through the thickest part of rush hour traffic the whole way. So it would be more like a three-hour commute. o.O

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#4 of 6 Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The cool thing about nursing is that it can be tackled in steps. I've seen many people do a quick nursing aid program and start working as a nurses aid (usually only pays minimum wage). Then while working as an aid you can pursue your LPN (Licences Practical Nurse). The pay is still pretty lousy, but a little better than as an aid. LPN takes about a year. Next step is RN (Registered Nurse). That takes two year (1 year beyond LPN). Then he can work as an RN while getting his BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing- 4 year degree, 2 years beyond RN). This route is appealing as there is often tuition assistance along the way as you work you way through the degrees.

Though if he has a decent paying job he may want to stay there until he has to do practicals and start working towards his RN right away. He could quickly pick up his nurses aid certificate along the way and then when practicals do come up he'd have a job that he could do evenings and nights if needed.

While there are more and more places that want a BSN, I wouldn't say it's impossible to get a job with an RN.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#5 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Financial aid does cover living expenses.  He should go talk to someone at a college financial aid office to get the details about his potential financial aid award.  You don't have to be an enrolled student to make an appointment.  They want potential students to come in and make a financial plan.  He will need to bring his most recent tax return papers. 

At first I went back to school part time, and only accepted the grant money (you don't have to pay it back!).  It covered tuition plus a few thousand extra per semester for living expenses.  I also worked part time.  You don't have to take the loans if you don't want them. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#6 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another idea for finances is to have him get a nurse's aid job at a big hospital. Mine (and several others in my area) cover tuition reimbursement for those furthering their education in health related careers. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page