Worst Christmas Gift thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Remember some of our fun Worst Christmas Gifts discussions several years ago?  Here is one:http://www.mothering.com/community/t/572856/whats-the-worst-winter-holiday-gift-youve-ever-gotten/

Anyone want to tell us about a gift they've gotten that was not so great?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Well, there was the fruitcake with mold growing on it...but I don't think the mold was intentional! :wink

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 12-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got a giant xxxxxxxl M&M nightgown 

It was sort of a family-member gift swap when my husband and I first got married. But really? I'm 5'4! And..M&Ms? 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
Old 12-16-2013, 06:19 PM

All my life I got the "Christmas and birthday combined" gifts. My birthday is 3 days before Christmas so people figured one gift would be good. Meanwhile my brother, who's birthday is in January, got separate gifts. I know, I know, life's not fair, but as a kid it sucked! :)

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 12-16-2013, 06:39 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

religious texts from my in-laws faith (we are not the same faith!)

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (12), Maya (8). 
Old 12-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I got an emerald ring once, which probably doesn't sound so bad, but considering the context it was a massive dissapointment.  The most ridiculously dumb gift I got was a protractor (that thing for measuring angles), and it wasn't even a useful protractor because of its size.  The funny part is, I mentioned it to my eight-year-old and she thought it sounded like a great present and asked if I'd get her one for Christmas!   Apparently it's one of those things that skips a generation.  I bought her her very own protractor, but I couldn't bring myself to call it a Christmas present.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

I got an emerald ring once, which probably doesn't sound so bad, but considering the context it was a massive dissapointment.  The most ridiculously dumb gift I got was a protractor (that thing for measuring angles), and it wasn't even a useful protractor because of its size.  The funny part is, I mentioned it to my eight-year-old and she thought it sounded like a great present and asked if I'd get her one for Christmas!   Apparently it's one of those things that skips a generation.  I bought her her very own protractor, but I couldn't bring myself to call it a Christmas present.

My kids are 24 and almost 21; since childhood they've asked for things like dictionaries, algebra texts, and analysis books for presents . . . the guy at the bookstore has watched them grow up and just rolls his eyes indulgently when I show up with a wish list.

My worst gift response was the year I asked DH for a clothesline and he got me diamond jewelry instead.  My friends laughed at me when I told them I was disappointed.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:52 PM

I have gotten some head-scratchers but nothing especially notable.

The following was the worst gift I witnessed -

The sister of the guy I was dating was absolutely desperate to get engaged.  She was in her mid 20s and had dated the guy for a couple of years.  When I say she was desperate, she was absolutely consumed with sealing the deal with this guy.  In her mind, marriage, house, kids, etc. needed to happen asap if not yesterday. 

One of her uncles thought it would be funny to wrap up a fake engagement ring for her to unwrap during the family gift exchange.  It say it wasn't funny is an understatement.  The boyfriend was furious and went bonkers (and seemed truly disturbed by the impact the "joke" had on his gf) and the sister (gf) was upset and humiliated.  His prank ruined the evening.  It was an odd family and some of the members definitely had an "odd" sense of humor.

Year later I heard they did eventually get married (and later divorced).

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 12-17-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

My worst gift response was the year I asked DH for a clothesline and he got me diamond jewelry instead.  My friends laughed at me when I told them I was disappointed.

I completely understand the above, completely.

I know many a woman that feel the same way. A "why can't he get me what I want" thread may be in order.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

I know many a woman that feel the same way. A "why can't he get me what I want" thread may be in order.

Well, to give DH his due, he did get me the clothesline on his very next hardware store run; he just didn't think it was festive enough for a gift.

Important fact about me:  I love shiny sparkly things.  He does know his audience.  I was both too polite and too shallow and selfish to return the jewelry.  :)

By the way, that uncle with the fake engagement ring sounds appalling!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:34 PM

Last year my dh got me a Home Depot gift card that was identical to the one he also got my step-father last minute.

But I guess it was better than the ad for a bedroom set that he put in a card under the tree- and he never got me that or any other bedroom set. 

He sometimes does great with gifts on different occasions but he did not grow up celebrating Christmas, and I think subconsciously he puts it off and doesn't do anything great as far as gift giving.

When I was 15 my dad got me a real working model of a car engine. Great gift for a 15 year old girl, huh? (One who was way more into my radio and sleepovers with girlfriends.) He then told me a condition to getting my driver's license was to put the thing together and make it work. It had about 1000 parts to it. I ended up getting my drivers license after I got my marriage license.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 12-17-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

religious texts from my in-laws faith (we are not the same faith!)

Amy

Amy my mom got my dh a Bible verse screen saver one year, and two tickets to the Left Behind movie. He is a staunch Hindu.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 12-17-2013, 11:31 PM

Oh, I love this thread every year!

I think my sister still wins for the prescription for acne medication our grandfather gave her when she was twelve. That was the year I got a tape series entitled "Where There's a Will, There's an A." Gramps was a winner.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

Quote:

Well, to give DH his due, he did get me the clothesline on his very next hardware store run; he just didn't think it was festive enough for a gift.

Important fact about me:  I love shiny sparkly things.  He does know his audience.  I was both too polite and too shallow and selfish to return the jewelry.  :)

My mil used to get sooooo offended when dh and my dad would buy me specific things I asked for after dh and I just got marrried.  Waffle maker, crock pot, electric skillet, things I wanted and needed, but were "domestic" therefor shouldn't be gifts.  Well, it was what I wanted (still have that waffle maker almost 20 years later) so that makes it the perfect gift!!  Giving gifts isn't about what you want people to have, it's about what they want :)  Plus none of us had extra money, so I really wanted useful things, not "stuff".  

Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

My mil used to get sooooo offended when dh and my dad would buy me specific things I asked for after dh and I just got marrried.  Waffle maker, crock pot, electric skillet, things I wanted and needed, but were "domestic" therefor shouldn't be gifts.  Well, it was what I wanted (still have that waffle maker almost 20 years later) so that makes it the perfect gift!!  Giving gifts isn't about what you want people to have, it's about what they want :)  Plus none of us had extra money, so I really wanted useful things, not "stuff".  

Exactly.  If he hadn't gotten me the clothesline anyway, that would've been a big problem.  Especially the years money was tight and we couldn't afford both.  He was unemployed in the early 1990's and I asked for a set of hair clippers.  Those were and are the best thing ever -- DH needs a haircut every three weeks, so they paid for themselves very quickly and have saved us hundreds of dollars over the years.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:

He was, I never liked him.  I was told about the "gift" just prior to the time everyone gathered around the tree and I spoke up but no one wanted to put a stop to the prank.  This happened 25 year ago and I still cringe at the memory.  The 42 year old me would have told her about it, the 18 yo me couldnt' think that fast.  The boyfriend (who was very outspoken) went after the uncle and there was nearly a fist fight in the middle of the living room.  Fun times......

Old 12-18-2013, 03:06 PM

One year my MIL bought me a collapsable plastic tote for the trunk of my car.  That one was really hard to pretend to be excited about.  Now she either gives me a catalog to choose out of or cash or just plain asks what I want and then actually gets what I asked for.

Last year DH gave me a beautiful diamond necklace.  I really really really wanted a Bosch Universal kitchen appliance.  I was disappointed- but tried not to show it because he was so proud of himself.  I am more of a chunky gaudy jewelry girl and this is so tiny and dainty- but I wear it all the time :)  I waited a few days and then ordered the Bosch.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom View Post

Oh, I love this thread every year!

I think my sister still wins for the prescription for acne medication our grandfather gave her when she was twelve. That was the year I got a tape series entitled "Where There's a Will, There's an A." Gramps was a winner.

I got that series from my grandpa too! haha! 

Old 12-18-2013, 10:00 PM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

Amy my mom got my dh a Bible verse screen saver one year, and two tickets to the Left Behind movie. He is a staunch Hindu.

Wow!  I really don't understand how pushy people can be with religion.  I am really happy that they have found a great match for themselves spiritually.  If I want more information, I know where to go.  :-)

Amy

Old 12-18-2013, 10:10 PM
AAK

Other bad gifts. . . (I may have put them down in threads of years past)

My aunt gave my cousin and me each a pair of pantyhose.  That was bad enough, but she got us both size A, and my cousin had no chance of fitting them.  She also got us one of the fake collars one year.  My paternal grandmother gave my sisters a painting to "share" one year.  They didn't share a room.  When at my dad's family, we really learned how to gracefully accept a gift!  The same grandmother gave very wonderful handmade items.  They are treasures that I still have.  She just wasn't good if she had to buy something.  

On my mother's side of the family I have one uncle.  He is gay and wasn't super happy to be around kids.  (at least in his younger years--now he kinda likes kids)  I love both him and his partner, but their gift giving was surely lacking.  One year I got a picture dictionary.  One year I got a book about children's literature (written for the parent, not the kid).  One year I got the one toy that I loved to play with at their house.  I was happy to get the toy, but really bummed when I realized that I now had nothing to play with at their house.  

The uncle with the fake engagement ring--what horror!  I would have lost it!

Amy

Old 12-19-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

I got that series from my grandpa too! haha! 

That's hilarious!! Did you ever listen to it?

Old 12-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't have family around, except my sister and her husband- so we spend Christmas with my BIL's mom and their extended family. This will be our fourth Christmas there. The first year, my younger son was 6 weeks old at Christmas. My sisters MIL gave me weightloss tea, an entire case of it. The next year, she gave me a crock-pot which I was happy about but then she made the comment that I can stop taking my kids to eat fast food all the time and start cooking at home (we NEVER ate out at ALL, I dunno where she got that from) This lady is almost 80 years old and just cracks me up with her snarky comments all the time. They do a white elephant exchange every year and one year I got a lovely cashmere scarf. She "stole" it from me (part of the game) because she said I would never need such a thing.. my BIL stood up for me and said "Yeah Mom, she takes the bus to work everyday, what would she POSSIBLY do with a scarf?" haha.. I am so looking forward to Christmas :-) 

Old 12-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Wow! Some of these are awful! I guess the gift that bothered me the most was this tiny pink keychain Swiss army knife. It's not a bad gift, but the context was really sexist. I was 12 at the time and was constantly exploring the outdoors, going camping with my friends, studying survival skills, etc. I asked for a pocket knife that I could use on my explorations. My grandparents decided that a tiny pink knife with a nail file fit the bill. After I opened my gift, my younger male cousin opened his giant hunting g knife. greensad.gif I was so disappointed, but my dad went out a few days later and got me a perfect pocket knife, and I smile whenever I use it. So I guess it turned out well in the end and it's even more special that my dad "got" it.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

Wow! Some of these are awful! I guess the gift that bothered me the most was this tiny pink keychain Swiss army knife. It's not a bad gift, but the context was really sexist. I was 12 at the time and was constantly exploring the outdoors, going camping with my friends, studying survival skills, etc. I asked for a pocket knife that I could use on my explorations. My grandparents decided that a tiny pink knife with a nail file fit the bill. After I opened my gift, my younger male cousin opened his giant hunting g knife. greensad.gif I was so disappointed, but my dad went out a few days later and got me a perfect pocket knife, and I smile whenever I use it. So I guess it turned out well in the end and it's even more special that my dad "got" it.

<smirks>  Did it have tweezers, too?  Perhaps a little wire-brush mascara wand?

And may I say, yay for your dad!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

<smirks>  Did it have tweezers, too?  Perhaps a little wire-brush mascara wand?

And may I say, yay for your dad!

It did have a little tweezer though! 

Old 12-21-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom View Post

That's hilarious!! Did you ever listen to it?

Nope. Did you?

Old 12-21-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The worst Christmas gift I've received so far was Almond Roca (I'm allergic to tree nuts) and a five dollar shirt that was obviously too small. It came from my family so it was a little discouraging. They also recently all went in on a breadmaker for me even though I don't eat bread. Luckily we all usually just give gift cards.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:27 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

One year MIL gave me a hideous-looking sweatshirt with a giant teddybear on it.  She said, "I just know how much you love teddy bears!"  This was me:  confused.gif because my adult interests have not included teddy bears!  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 12-21-2013, 07:47 PM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

a five dollar shirt that was obviously too small

Ok, this I can add to. . . for many years, my mom bought me clothes in the size that she thought I "should" be.  She would say, "Isn't that cute?  I figure that you will need some new clothes once you lose the baby weight."  This is so frustrating, it is nearly insane.  She is finally buying me the size I need.  However, she still buys styles that really aren't me at all.  At this weight, I don't want stretchy, clingy shirts!  There is usually something that I like, and I make sure she knows which one works well. 

Amy

Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My DH and I dont usually exchange gifts for Holidays or our bdays but we both happened to get something for eachother this year. I got him 2 sweatshirts that ended up being too small so I will return one amd keep the other which will fit me for the last half of my pregnancy : ). DH got me a bright pink tshirt with a pig on it thats says "Bacon is meat candy!" WTF?! Haha. Its a funny shirt because that is a craving I have a lot when pregnant but the thought of wearing it when 20 weeks pregnant...well it is not going to happen. He was so proud of it though!

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

User Tag List