What did you have for Christmas dinner? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
And how did it turn out?

I made prime rib for the first time, and despite the fact that I forgot to turn the oven heat down from 450 after the first 15 minutes and set off the smoke alarms, we managed to end up with a delicious, seared-on-the-outside, pink-in-the-middle, medium-rare roast! I stuffed it with whole garlic cloves that turned soft and sweet during cooking, and rubbed it with olive oil/salt/pepper/rosemary. I also made hasselback potatoes (not great, I won't be making them again), and roasted vegetables (butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, and pecans in olive oil/salt/pepper/nutmeg -- soooo good!).

Another first-time addition to our Christmas dinner was béarnaise sauce, which I was a little freaked to make because all the recipes online mentioned that it breaks easily and that you can easily end up scrambling the eggs, but it came out smooth, velvety, and so, so good. I was super proud of that sauce and will be making it again every year. I'm ridiculously excited for today's steak sandwich on crusty baguette with that sauce smeared atop the meat. eat.gif

For drinks we had hard apple cider for me, fancy IPA for hubby, and good-quality pressed apple juice for the kids. For dessert we had an assortment of cookies and candies: PBJ cookies, PBN cookies (with Nutella instead of jam), Russian teacakes, fudge, and English toffee.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Man, your description of the prime rib made my mouth water lol

We had dinner at church, I brought pork loin in the crock pot and mashed potatoes with gravy. We also had deep fried duck (I didn't try any) ham with brown sugar and clove glaze, green beans, sweet potato casserole, and quite a large assortment of homemade cookies, as well as carmel apple cupcakes for Jesus ; D

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#3 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

On Christmas Eve we made our version of the feast of the seven fishes.  We started with some appetizers:  Smoked Salmon Crostinis, Tilapia Ceviche, Coconut Shrimp and Anchovy, Caramelized Onion and herbed cream cheese Crostinis.  For the entrees we had herb crusted baked Cod, Lobster Mac and Cheese and Scallops in a white wine and caper sauce.  

Prime Rib sounds so tasty!

Our dinner turned out really well, but was a bit too labor intensive.

#4 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My mom does Christmas dinner for the whole family. This year, that was my mom, my stepdad, my godmother, me and dh and our kids, my sister and her ex (they're reasonably friendly, and he's an old friend of my brother's and has no bio family here) and their kids, my brother and SIL and their kids, and my oldest stepbrother, his wife, and their (grown) kids. There were 24 people, total.

Dinner was:

• Turkey
  • Stuffing
  • Ham (some of the family don't like turkey, so mom does both)
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Roasted potatoes
  • Roasted sweet potatoes
  • Cranberry jelly
  • Boiled turnip and carrot
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Raw veggie tray
  • Pickled asparagus.

I bring dessert every year. It's called "pineapple whipped cream fluff" and is a vaniall crumb crust, with a sweet layer (egg, butter and icing sugar), and a topping of unsweetened whipped cream with drained crushed pineapple folded into it. I also bring Jello and whipped cream, for anyone who doesn't like the main dessert.

I think I'm still full. :)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

We do our own version of a traditional Norwegian-style dinner - Norwegian meatballs with dill gravy, mashed potatoes, ligonberries and croissants. I was going to make roasted Brussels sprouts since I put them up from our own garden this year, but I totally forgot. We had a toast with a mini-shot of acquavit, and drank glogg with dinner (well we did - Little Man had water!). Christmas cookies for dessert. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#6 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wow, these dinners sound scrumptious!
We do a potluck between my Father and I, and host my grown up stepchildren and their girlfriends. We were a group of eight.

I really had fun this year putting on a big spread. My dad made his signature slow cooked vegetarian red sauce (a two day slow simmer) and meatballs.
I did roasted beet and spinach salad, mashed balsamic sweet potatos, roasted brussel sprouts and onions with dijon and apple cider vinegar, linguine, and steamed green beans.
Appetizer was a locally smoked chum salmon with chevre on rye bread.
Drink was assorted wines, and my fuel, a homemade baileys irish cream heavy on the coffee.
Dessert, Apple and Pear Crumble with hand whipped vanilla cream.
Loved the energy intensive dinner prep, only my 3rd time doing a big meal.

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#7 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
We had our usual traditional lunch with a couple of added extras:

Roast chicken/stuffing/gravy
Roast potatoes/sweet potato/pumpkin
Peas
Ham

New additions;
Rocket and mango salad
Garlic BBQ'ed prawns

Dessert was Christmas pudding with ice cream, cream or custard.

All homemade except for the ice cream and cream, and we didn't smoke our own ham :-)

To drink we had champagne, beer, sparkling apple juice and a fruit punch my mum makes.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
For Thanksgiving, we go all out with the fancy from scratch cooking. For Christmas, I change tactics. We make sure it's delicious and special, and with as little effort as possible! So, prime rib that came precooked and seasoned from trader joes! For sides, roasted asparagus, and mashed potatoes and gravy . it was all delicious! In fact, it was the best potatoes I've ever eaten. I have no explanation why. Boiled, smashed, butter, salt, and a splash of cream. Nothing special or different. But holy crap it tasted amazing. I was scared to put gravy on it and ruin it!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#9 of 9 Old 12-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A bunch of Trader Joes items here too...with just the four of us, there's no point in getting all elaborate.
Viola likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page