New Year's Eve Plans - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-29-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Let's share - do you stay home with the kids or do you get a babysitter for a special night on the town?

Before we had Little Man, we'd go out for a late dinner at our favorite restaurant. Since we've had him, we stay home. This year we're making steaks for dinner for a splurge, and opening a bottle of wine we've been saving for a few years for a special occasion. We'll probably watch a movie after Little Man goes to bed. We'll see if we actually stay awake until midnight... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 9 Old 12-29-2013, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We all go out to dinner as a family, which is rare because it's so expensive. Then we watch a movie, and I crash while the kids and DH stay up till midnight:o

#3 of 9 Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 PM

New Years is the holiday that's changed the most for us since we've had kids. DH and I used to go out to parties every year- this year I may make something special for dinner and DH will probably have a beer, but that's it. I'm sure I'll be in bed way before midnight. smile.gif

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#4 of 9 Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've never been a party person, so the majority of my New Years have been spent at home, cozied up with good food.  (Even before kids).

We make some goodies (mostly finger foods) and just have fun together.  Last year we had a friend over, which was fun.  This year it will probably be just us, which is lovely too.  

Midnight is too late for the little ones, and often for me too!  Sometimes we all pass out well before the ball drops, and sometimes (like last year) we make it.   

#5 of 9 Old 12-30-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Nothing. No plans.

It's no big deal though. I was never really a "New Year's Eve" person.  As a kid on New Year's Eve, my mom would leave us at our dad's house so she could go out and have fun. We would ring in the new year watching "Croc Rock" on Discovery Channel lol!

Good times.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#6 of 9 Old 12-30-2013, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The past 4 years, I've spent NYE with my DS (who is now 9). My DH always gets tired before midnight, and DD is too young to stay up that late, so DS and I have a special night together.

I make a fun meal (usually a bunch of appetizers) and we all watch the ball drop in New York at 9pm our time, then DH and DD go to bed and DS and I play board games and then watch the latest Harry Potter. (We have a tradition where he gets a new HP book & DVD each year on his birthday in October -- we read the book first, then save the movie to watch during NYE. We're up to #4.) Then we watch the ball drop again at midnight our time, then to to bed.

This year, however, we've been invited to a family celebration with some friends, for dinner and games. It'll be fun, but I'm a little sad to miss out on the special night with DS. Maybe he and I will stay up late one night this weekend just for the heck of it.

Next year, DD will be 6 (the age DS was when I started this tradition with him,) so she'll be invited to join in, although we'll have to switch some things up because she won't be watching Harry Potter 5 at that age. And the sibling dynamic will be there, so things won't be as easy for me as they are when I just have one of my kids with me. Hmm, maybe DH will have to start staying up with us next year!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#7 of 9 Old 12-31-2013, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
No plans here either. We've never celebrated NYE although, pre-kids I was a night owl so, sometimes I've still been awake.

I must admit it never occurred to me to do a special dinner or anything. I'm sure we will all have been asleep for hours so unless DD2 wakes up for a feed l'll probably be asleep.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 9 Old 12-31-2013, 01:47 PM

I always stay home on NYE - always have. I stay up to midnight, and usualy toast in the New Year with a bit of champagne, but it's very low key. (I've only ever attended one New Year's party, and that's because I was living in a house with my ex, sister and ex-BIL, and everyoned wanted a party. I went along with it, but it's really not my scene, and some drunken oaf almost drowned me by pouring champagne over my head, in my own house.)

This year, our plans are flexible. If dd1 manages to stay up until midnight (she wants to), we'll do our usual midnight toast, while we watch the ball drop in New York. DD1 will get sparkling cider this year, I think. If she falls asleep, dh and I have decided to celebrate privately, in our room. ;)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#9 of 9 Old 12-31-2013, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nursing the night away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page