What’s the best gift you got? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

On the heels of @Viola's thread here: I was wondering what are the best gift's you've gotten over the years? Mine, I think was a bicycle when I was 11 or 12. God, I loooooooved that bike! It gave me freedom and allowed me to explore all over. If I can find it I have a photo of it...

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

My grandparents took me to Costa Rica when I was in college over the holiday break.  I even got to have a room all to myself at all the places we went.  It was spectacular!

#3 of 13 Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)

Happy thread!  My best Christmas present ever was going into labor with DS2. 

Another favorite is the dozen roses DH got me when DS1 graduated from high school after a really stressful time . . . not as a "haha, finally," but as a thank you, DH says, for what I did to help DS1 get to that point.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
#4 of 13 Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Free CAR:joy So thankful for it!!!

#5 of 13 Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Those are all amazing~!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#6 of 13 Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

Happy thread!  My best Christmas present ever was going into labor with DS2. 

Another favorite is the dozen roses DH got me when DS1 graduated from high school after a really stressful time . . . not as a "haha, finally," but as a thank you, DH says, for what I did to help DS1 get to that point.

Awwww!  These both brought tears to my eyes!  How wonderful!

#7 of 13 Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I get great gifts all the time, but some of the standouts:

• Portable tape deck ("ghetto blaster") when I was 14 or 15...mostly because it was what I wanted most, and mom and dad had me completely convinced I wasn't getting it
  • Swarovski crystal four-leaf clover. I collect Swarovski figurines, and my godmother gave me the clover the Christmas after my second miscarriage
  • Stormrider jean jacket from my ex, because it was too funny that I'd bought him the exact same jacket that year
  • A stocking from my bff the year my ex and I split. DH and I had a long distance relationship, and it was the first year I'd woken up Christmas morning without a stocking. As ds1 spent Christmas Eve at his dad's, I was really bummed that morning. My bff knew I was bummed about the stocking thing, and made it up for me ahead of time. She and her boyfriend were going to drop it off anonymously on Christmas Eve, but they had a stomach bug, so she ended up bringing it by on Boxing Day. I don't often cry over bottle toppers, soap and suncatchers, but I did that year.

I can't think of any super great ones from dh, but they he scores a "really good" every year - he gets me stuff that suits me - items relating to new hobbies, a new Kobo after I dropped mine, etc. He rocks the gift giving thing.

I know there have been others, but I have serious brain fog (all the time, but especially today, due to hormones and probably the flu - blech), so I can't think of them right now.

Oh - it wasn't a Christmas gift, but my bff gave me a stuffed dog after my first miscarriage, because she knew I'd been ttc for a while (3.5 years at that point), and thought I might like "something to cuddle". It was great.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 13 Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I think this will be the best gift ever:

My Mom and siblings chipped in to get me 3 nights (2 FULL days!) at a hotel at the beach. Off-season and mid-week, it is reasonably cheap, and I don't need anything fancy anyway. What I plan is a pile of books on one side of the bed, a basket of yarn for knitting on the other, and NO phone. I don't need a TV or internet, room service or spa. All I want is to be alone with my thoughts. To sit on the sand and listen to the waves.

ElderSon is 32. That means I have been parenting, pretty intensely, for over 3 decades. My youngest Dumplings, still at home, are 17 & 18 - plenty responsible enough to handle a few days solo. I want to see how late I sleep in with no job, phone, babies, kids, puppies, dogs, cats, or parrots to wake me. I want to eat when and what I want, without accommodating everyone else's wishes. I love my children, my job, my pets, and life just as it is. I hope this doesn't sound terribly selfish. But I feel I hardly know myself outside my relationship to others.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#9 of 13 Old 01-12-2014, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

My Mom and siblings chipped in to get me 3 nights (2 FULL days!) at a hotel at the beach. Off-season and mid-week, it is reasonably cheap, and I don't need anything fancy anyway. What I plan is a pile of books on one side of the bed, a basket of yarn for knitting on the other, and NO phone. I don't need a TV or internet, room service or spa. All I want is to be alone with my thoughts. To sit on the sand and listen to the waves.

ElderSon is 32. That means I have been parenting, pretty intensely, for over 3 decades. My youngest Dumplings, still at home, are 17 & 18 - plenty responsible enough to handle a few days solo. I want to see how late I sleep in with no job, phone, babies, kids, puppies, dogs, cats, or parrots to wake me. I want to eat when and what I want, without accommodating everyone else's wishes. I love my children, my job, my pets, and life just as it is. I hope this doesn't sound terribly selfish. But I feel I hardly know myself outside my relationship to others.

It sounds wonderful!  And remember the oxygen mask principle -- you are caring for those around you by caring for yourself.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
#10 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

Not selfish at all! It's so easy to lose ourselves, especially as mothers. Reconnecting with yourself is vital.

#11 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 06:58 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

A few years ago, my grandmother took the time to fill out one of those grandmother memory books.  It was particularly meaningful to me.  She chose a book that had good questions, additionally I know it took her forever to do because of her arthritis.  It was so special because it was so heartfelt. 

Around 13/14 I got a stereo system for xmas.  This was totally unexpected and I was thrilled to get one.  I didn't think my parents would be able to swing it so I was super shocked. 

My girls have the gift thing down.  This last mother's day, I was going to be out of town with my oldest for a dance competition.  The girls took it upon themselves to make & decorate cookies, decorate a tin, and my oldest biked down to the local coffee shop to grab a gift card.  The younger ones added pictures/card.  They also made a "fruit bouquet" and then had all this packaged up and ready for the trip.  Anna gave it all to me Sunday morning.  My husband had no idea they had done anything, it truly warmed my heart that they thought of and implemented this plan ahead of time.  It made me feel very loved. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#12 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 PM

When i was 6 years old, my mom got a set of 3 small magnifying glasses after i received really good grades in school. I fell in love with them because they were "grown up" stuff!innocent.gif

On my first birthday my dad went to Canada on a business trip for 3 long months. When he came back home i had forgotten who he was and he bust into tears while gifting me a teddy bear (now it lives on my english chair near my bed).

I met DP when i was 19 during a trip and although we spent a few days together, we only shared one kiss and then went on 4 years without having news from each other. When we heard from each other years later we started a long distance relationship and would only chat on ICQ. The first time we met DP gave me a really nice pen because i like to write short stories. We've been together for 8 years and i used the same pen to sign our mariage papers and the property contract for our new house.joy.gif

Brazilian; married to dp; currently on the adoption list (fingers crossed!); interested in minimalism and simple living; rusty english.
2014 in 2014 : 131/2014
#13 of 13 Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 AM

When I was 3-4 we lived near my great uncle in OK and he had a big trampoline. I loooved that trampoline. We moved to KS and I missed him and the trampoline so much. On my first day of first grade, he drove to our new home and bought and assembled my very own trampoline! I spent countless hours jumping on that fool thing and in my high school years I would lay on it while soaking up way too many UV rays, often with a sprinkler under it.

Betty *(.)(.)* mama to: DS1 (12) DS2 (11) DS3 (8)
(12/26/06) (5/11/09) (10/7/09)x2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page