Can I just say . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-10-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My youngest child is about to turn 10. I am not planning to have any more and I'm almost 40. So I've had 10 years of useless periods so far and can look forward to at least 10+ more years of them. It used to have a purpose to remind me of my fertility but now it's just a crampy, messy, fatigue-causing, moody hassle. I am still required to take care of the kids, make dinner, feed the pets, drive kids to piano lesson, and work my 12.5 hour night shifts caring for sick kids and their often (understandably so) sleep-deprived, grumpy parents. 

No I'm not planning to do anything to stop my periods until they stop on their own. But I feel I still have the right to gripe about it. Thanks for listening. :shy 

A&A, dalia, BeckyBird and 1 others like this.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 20 Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I hear you! I'm done having kids too, and wish I could just flip a switch and be done with periods. Especially since they're worse now than they were pre-kids. I have PMS symptoms now that I never had before, and my cycle is only about 23 days, so it seems like I'm always either in PMS mode or on my period. It's so annoying!
USAmma likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 20 Old 01-10-2014, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I will join you ladies. I feel the same.

USAmma likes this.
#4 of 20 Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I hear you! I'm done having kids too, and wish I could just flip a switch and be done with periods. Especially since they're worse now than they were pre-kids. I have PMS symptoms now that I never had before, and my cycle is only about 23 days, so it seems like I'm always either in PMS mode or on my period. It's so annoying!

Me too! And maybe it's become I'm getting older and don't have the energy to deal with it, or maybe it's my body's way of holding on desperately to its fertility to see if it can get one more baby out of me. But yeah, worse PMS and cramps.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#5 of 20 Old 01-10-2014, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I've never been pregnant so they've always been pointless. I think I'm in perimenopause which is a little scary, but a relief.
#6 of 20 Old 01-10-2014, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I'm not done having kids, but I could totally skip the period thing. Hate it. When I was younger (and much crunchier) I reveled in it as an opportunity to be in tune with my body and nature, but now that I'm older, busier and more tired, it's really just a messy PITA. 

USAmma likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#7 of 20 Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 PM

Just turned 50 in the fall of last year and didn't have a period for five months...until this week.  Blah!  Thought I was finally on the runway to freedom from this, but alas, no.  :eyesroll

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#8 of 20 Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I still think of them as a useful yardstick of health... My mom had irregular bleeding which was a symptom of endometrial cancer. My cousin's lack of periods signified some nutritional deficiencies, etc. But, yeah, they could be less messy and without cramps and do the same thing!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#9 of 20 Old 01-11-2014, 04:43 PM

I hate them. I never liked them much, and started to really hate them during my years of secondary infertility (as each one was a reminder that I still wasn't pregnant). Since I've had a menstrual migraine with almost every cycle since they came back after dd2 was born, I hate them even more. I've got a short-ish cycle (22-23 days now), and they last 5 days each time, and the cramps and migraine can be really painful. Add in the PMS (yes - I have an incredibly bad bout of irritability for 2-3 days prior), and my menstrual cycle cuts into my quality of life a lot. I'm 45 now, but mom didn't hit menopause until her mid-50s, so I'm guessing I still have a while to go. (I've heard that having babies later in life can also postpone menopause somewhat - I'm not sure if that's true, but my mom had her last baby just before she turned 26, and I had my last just after I turned 41, so....yeah.)

I'm not doing anything to get rid of them, either, but I definitely sympathize!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#10 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

ladies! ladies! ladies!!

let a krone fill you in...

i used to feel the same way. i am not even 50 yet and i have been done for a while. typical in our family. start early, end early. since my great gma. 

when you hit menopause things change. the whole process of peri and menopause. 

hello dry skin, stinky pee, frizzy hair, "dementia", weight that is so much more difficult to take off, insomnia, fog, mood swings, depression, stiff achy joints ... and so much more apart from the typical changes.

in a subtle way you definitely age.

i havent even listed the atypical symptoms either. neither touched upon libido and all that stuff. 

doesnt mean its all gloom and doom. but it IS a change. hey u cant remember it but by golly your skills to analyze sky rocket. 

and all of it is not pleasant.... the reason why many continue till they are pretty old.

i remember as a young adult watching the 'dramatic' change in my aunt who finally stopped her artificial treatments in her 70s.

i did not know about the subtleties of menopause. i dont think i would have been quite celebrating menopause as i did then knowing what i know now. inspite of my suffering from my very first period to the last one. 

4evermom likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I hate them. I never liked them much, and started to really hate them during my years of secondary infertility (as each one was a reminder that I still wasn't pregnant). Since I've had a menstrual migraine with almost every cycle since they came back after dd2 was born, I hate them even more. I've got a short-ish cycle (22-23 days now), and they last 5 days each time, and the cramps and migraine can be really painful. Add in the PMS (yes - I have an incredibly bad bout of irritability for 2-3 days prior), and my menstrual cycle cuts into my quality of life a lot. I'm 45 now, but mom didn't hit menopause until her mid-50s, so I'm guessing I still have a while to go. (I've heard that having babies later in life can also postpone menopause somewhat - I'm not sure if that's true, but my mom had her last baby just before she turned 26, and I had my last just after I turned 41, so....yeah.)

I'm not doing anything to get rid of them, either, but I definitely sympathize!

I had the menstrual migraines after my third child.  I read that some women can get relief with more sunshine, exercise, and by drinking soy milk.  Well, it was winter and I had littles so the only real thing I could do was add soy milk and it worked.  There must be something to the sunshine/exercise thing too because I can skip the soy sometimes in the summer.  I don't drink a ton of soy, but I do use it the last half of my cycle.  I have no idea if it will help you, but it was such a relief to not have those anymore. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#12 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 AM

Thanks, Amy. I've actually found that magnesium supplements help. (As sunflower seeds are a good source of magnesium, I've come to suspect that my addiction to said seeds is the rason I was spared the migraines for so long. Both my mom and sister had them for years - my mom had them for the whole span of her reproductive life - but I dodged them until a few years ago...when I cut back on my sunflower seed consumption, because of the calories.)

I still get them, but they're nowhere near as bad as they were. I think they're improving every month, but it's hard to say for sure. Exercise - some kinds - helps a bit with the cramps, but it doesn't seem to affect the migraines.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#13 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

My youngest child is about to turn 10. I am not planning to have any more and I'm almost 40. So I've had 10 years of useless periods so far and can look forward to at least 10+ more years of them. 

My youngest turned 10 in October.  I'm older than you, and I've noticed my cycles aren't quite as intense as they once were.  For me, the biggest and most important thing about continuing to have them is the mental and creative boost I get from ovulation.  I look forward to that time of month, because I actually have a tiny bit of libido, and maybe some happy and energetic feelings.  I figure once I'm done ovulating, I'll have to find something else to replace that little uplift in my spirits.

USAmma likes this.
#14 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 PM
AAK

Quote:

Thanks, Amy. I've actually found that magnesium supplements help. (As sunflower seeds are a good source of magnesium, I've come to suspect that my addiction to said seeds is the rason I was spared the migraines for so long. Both my mom and sister had them for years - my mom had them for the whole span of her reproductive life - but I dodged them until a few years ago...when I cut back on my sunflower seed consumption, because of the calories.)

I still get them, but they're nowhere near as bad as they were. I think they're improving every month, but it's hard to say for sure. Exercise - some kinds - helps a bit with the cramps, but it doesn't seem to affect the migraines.

Hmmm, sunflower seeds.  I love those things too, but also dropped them because I like the roasted/salted variety vs the raw.  I haven't found that excercise helped much either, but I put it out there because of what I read.  Apparantly, the excercise and sunshine should natually raise the serotonin levels (and that is what is supposed to help).  It helps me be the blues in the winter, but not the menstral migraines.  For that, I just stick with soy.  I guess all those pseudo-estrogens (or whatever) help when the hormone levels adjust rapidly before AF.

Amy

#15 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

hello dry skin, stinky pee, frizzy hair, "dementia", weight that is so much more difficult to take off, insomnia, fog, mood swings, depression, stiff achy joints ... and so much more apart from the typical changes.

Hahahaha well I have half that list at 31 already, so I think I'm good to go! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#16 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

Hmmm, sunflower seeds.  I love those things too, but also dropped them because I like the roasted/salted variety vs the raw.

Amy

The ones I inhale are the roasted, salted ones, as well. I can open and eat them faster than anybody I've ever met. This is not a good thing. I like the raw ones, but not as much.

Sunshine is a tricky thing in this part of the world - lots of cloud cover, and very short days in the winter. I do supplement with vitamin D, which doesn't seem to affect my migraines one way or the other, but helps with other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Hahahaha well I have half that list at 31 already, so I think I'm good to go! 

I hear you. I hit pretty much all of those (except stinky pee), and am still getting regular - but short - cycles.

#17 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:

I hear you. I hit pretty much all of those (except stinky pee), and am still getting regular - but short - cycles.

So basically I think we can all deduce that it's a PITA to have them, and a PITA not to have them! Great to be a lady, isn't it? ;-)

AAK, Storm Bride and meemee like this.

#18 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 05:20 PM

I've come to believe I like it better than I'd like being a man. I used to think otherwise, but I think men are more slaves to their genitalia than we are. I didn't used to believe it, but I think I've changed my mind.

USAmma likes this.

#19 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's how I feel:

USAmma and Storm Bride like this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#20 of 20 Old 01-15-2014, 12:03 AM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Here's how I feel:

Just the chuckle I needed!  Thanks.  :rotflmao

dalia likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page