saturday night tradition ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-16-2014, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Growing up, mom always made pizza on saturdays (still does actually).  We'd do pizza and a movie...  We'd eat in the family room while watching... (When I was older and going out with friends, we'd often meet at my house so we could have pizza first) ...

My kids are too messy to eat in the family room right now.  And I can't make pizza -- doesn't hold a candle to moms, which we do go over there for.  But, dh doesn't go with us.  And I want to start a fun saturday night tradition of our own...  Something we can alternate with going to grandma's for pizza...    but im blanking on ideas...  wondering if anyone else does a variation and what it is???

thanks!

:)

#2 of 11 Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

We had a Sat night tradition growing-up. We would eat take-out and listen to music. That was a BIG part of whom I am today.

Saturday night is big in my house. We eat something different. Many times it is take-out. It is also movie night. (we are TV-free) We pick a movie on Wed. We each gets a turn in picking the movie. So yes sometime we might watch something a little more adult. (PG) I LOVE old 80's movies and we have watch some of those. (One Crazy Summer / Summer rental things like that)

We will just listen to music or play board games. BUT we also do this during the week...so Sat is different:love 

#3 of 11 Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is such a great idea! I've tried to do this before, but after a while I've let it go. Reading this makes me want to try again!

Ideas. Hmmm. What about make your own tacos and family game night?

Or, breakfast for dinner and... insert activity here.

Or, kids make dinner (with adult guidance)... insert activity.

That's all I got for now!

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#4 of 11 Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Saturday night is date night for my husband and me, but we do have several family traditions some of which are weekly, some of which are monthly but all of which I think could be adapted to weekly Saturday night thing:

Weekly Poetry Tea Party: We go all out with baking, centerpiece, etc... and while I bring the water to a boil everyone picks a poem to read.

Weekly Adventure Day: One day of the week we skip formal homeschooling in favor of an adventure. Generally it's somewhere free like one of the many forest preserves around here, the nature center, a museum we can get into for free. My older kids and I take turns deciding where.

Monthly Family Game Night: EVERYONE who can move a game piece plays! We play a lot of board games during the week, but we rarely all play together outside of this.

Monthly Family Hootenany: I really would like to do this weekly, but we haven't. Maybe when my youngest gets a bit older... but especially if your kids take music lessons, I've found this extremely motivating for practicing.

Hump Day Movie Afternoon: We watch a movie almost every Wednesday afternoon. I often try to pick one related to our family readaloud. Some months, I will get cookbooks based on the movie and we will make a treat to go with it, but that's not a must.

Nazsmum likes this.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#5 of 11 Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

When ever I see ideas like this my first thought is HOW?  How do you establish any ongoing tradition without life getting in the way?  I get the value of rituals and we've come to have some solid (and loved) traditions- back to school smore night in september, winter solstice night walk and burning of old man winter, opening stocking gifts on a morning close to Christmas, etc but they are just once a year things.

Do you skip sports, school and family events?  Are a few people from your family always missing?   We do movie night- once a year!  (The sound of music)  And I always skip out to go to bed and have never seen the ending!    Do you just force everyone to remain in the room with the activity until they learn they must stay and enjoy?  

Curious to see how the actual logistics play out.  Thanks!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#6 of 11 Old 01-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Yes, life can get in the way. Many times my husband is away for work and YES we will still have "sat night". Tomorrow (Sat) we are going to be at a family thing....Next week will go right back to the normal.

I guess we just do it. It is not a question of if....

#7 of 11 Old 01-17-2014, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

I personally like the game night idea - in the winter you can do board or card games, and in the summer you can do more of sporting type games outdoors. You can do special food to go along with it, and maybe do an indoor picnic where everyone stakes out a spot on the floor with lots of pillows. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#8 of 11 Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

revolting -- can i come be part of your family?  those all sound awesome!! (are you a bravewriter follower by chance?)  And, what is a family hootenany?

#9 of 11 Old 01-18-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post

When ever I see ideas like this my first thought is HOW?  How do you establish any ongoing tradition without life getting in the way?  I get the value of rituals and we've come to have some solid (and loved) traditions- back to school smore night in september, winter solstice night walk and burning of old man winter, opening stocking gifts on a morning close to Christmas, etc but they are just once a year things.

Do you skip sports, school and family events?  Are a few people from your family always missing?   We do movie night- once a year!  (The sound of music)  And I always skip out to go to bed and have never seen the ending!    Do you just force everyone to remain in the room with the activity until they learn they must stay and enjoy?  

Curious to see how the actual logistics play out.  Thanks!

We have friends that take their family time very seriously.  Saturday nights are family night and Sunday is family day.  They don't see other people (except for church) and their time is spent with just the 6 of them.  I have no idea how that works.   We have sports, the kids have friends, we have friends, there are trips back home.  We have tons of family time, but I could never live in a way where it had to be a specific day and time, every week.  Our life doesn't work like that.  

Growing up my dad made popcorn and lemonade every Friday night.  We'd watch The Love Boat and Fantasy Island :)  Saturday morning he made pancakes or picked up donuts.

We do certain things like we always go to the 4 of July Parade, we always have nachos and other snackies for the Home Run Derby (or All Star game, if we have our own baseball game).

#10 of 11 Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Mumm - My kids are young, and we homeschool. I try to treat it like I do my kids' other activities. Sometimes, we have to reschedule or skip a violin lesson, but it's occasional.

Crazytown - Thank you! Yes, we do follow Bravewriter, and it fits very well with our family. Do you do Bravewriter? A hootenanny is a folk music party.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#11 of 11 Old 01-20-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We do the homemade pizza thing a lot too. Not always on Saturday, but one weekend night is usually family night. I divide the dough into 4 sections and put out toppings, and everyone makes their own pizza (my favorites are pesto or barbecue chicken). Then we'll play a board game (or, in the summer when it's light late, play catch or something outside) and watch a movie.

I'm sure as the kids get older it'll be harder to find a night when everyone's home, but for now when our kids are little (5 and 9) we've orchestrated our lives to allow down time, so it's not a problem.

Another thing we do (although not weekly) is have a random party, like a "we love daddy" party, or a "goodbye summer" party, or a "happy birthday teddy" party, where we make a fancy dessert just for the heck of it, spruce up the table with a vase of flowers from the yard, and act like it's a special occasion. The kids get really into those.

OP, I'm sure it doesn't compare to your mom's, but Trader Joe's pizza dough is pretty darned good -- I use it sometimes instead of making my own. The key is to let it sit out for a good half hour before trying to stretch it -- if it's at all cold it'll just snap back instead of stretching.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page