Talk me down, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have shoulder surgery on Thursday. This is the second surgery I've had on my shoulder in 2 years. Everyone keeps saying, "Well, you've been through this before.  You  know what to expect, so it'll be better this time."  Umm, yeah.  Last time sucked big time.  I never really recovered 100% and I felt like I spent two months on the couch drugged before I was capable of doing much of anything, including driving.  I was stuck in the house until my dh got home from work, it was hard on the family, I felt gross, and even taking a shower was a chore 

So I'm trying to figure out things that might make me mentally feel better, physically recover quicker (I'll be doing PT as soon as they allow me to and I've got approval for acupuncture which I didn't do last time) and just make things better for everyone in the family (I was tired and cranky from the drugs, and I could only rest of the couch in the living room because that was the only place my shoulder felt better.).  

Any idea on how to combat all three of those issues?

#2 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM

:Hug I will pray for you.

#3 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

:Hug I will pray for you.

Thank you, Nazsmum!

#4 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My mom broke her arm (well, the ball in her shoulder really) ...so, not the same thing but close.  She's been doing accupuncture with great results til last time... while she was there, her arm seized and she's lost all of the motion she gained.  Three days later she can still only do half what she could before... so its getting better, but its not there yet. 

She did find a bunch of different heating pads that can be worn on amazon...  search for therapy neck wrap and some should pop up.  Those are super useful for her... (and they actually have some great patterns/designs that look just like shawls, etc...

Good luck!  Praying for a speedy recovery!

#5 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Is it the should of your dominant hand?  (I'm guessing of COURSE it is, 'cause that's the way it goes.)  Anyway, I tend to be task-driven and a planner, so will get that crap out of the way first:

Are you able to stock up on things?  If you have the room and can afford to, I'd suggest doing a really aggressive non-perishable grocery run and minimize having your time or others in your family have to either do that or worry about it.  I'd also have some meals stuck in the freezer if that were possible.  And, frankly, be cheerful about cereal for dinner nights a time or two.

Another stock up, if it's what your family likes, would be books or other media.  Movies, series, whatever, but I'd hit the library and bring home a linear foot or three of things I wanted to read.  If it's a diversion, of course; being worried and in pain doesn't lend itself to concentration.  But, yeah, entertainment in whatever form will grab your attention.

Can't think of suggestions for recovery that you haven't covered.  Acupuncture sounds like a great idea, and I think physical therapy is a miracle.

Come crab to us if needed.  Good luck, and post to tell how you're doing when you can?

Best wishes!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#6 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytownmama View Post

My mom broke her arm (well, the ball in her shoulder really) ...so, not the same thing but close.  She's been doing acupuncture with great results til last time... while she was there, her arm seized and she's lost all of the motion she gained.  Three days later she can still only do half what she could before... so its getting better, but its not there yet. 

She did find a bunch of different heating pads that can be worn on amazon...  search for therapy neck wrap and some should pop up.  Those are super useful for her... (and they actually have some great patterns/designs that look just like shawls, etc...

Good luck!  Praying for a speedy recovery!

crazytownmama- I broke the ball of the humorous during a seizure when the shoulder joint popped out and then popped back in.  My last surgery was to remove the malformation that had formed on the ball there.  I'll definitely look into the heating pads.  That's a great idea.  Thank you!

Quote:Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

Quote:

Is it the should of your dominant hand?  (I'm guessing of COURSE it is, 'cause that's the way it goes.)  Anyway, I tend to be task-driven and a planner, so will get that crap out of the way first:

Are you able to stock up on things?  If you have the room and can afford to, I'd suggest doing a really aggressive non-perishable grocery run and minimize having your time or others in your family have to either do that or worry about it.  I'd also have some meals stuck in the freezer if that were possible.  And, frankly, be cheerful about cereal for dinner nights a time or two.

Another stock up, if it's what your family likes, would be books or other media.  Movies, series, whatever, but I'd hit the library and bring home a linear foot or three of things I wanted to read.  If it's a diversion, of course; being worried and in pain doesn't lend itself to concentration.  But, yeah, entertainment in whatever form will grab your attention.

Can't think of suggestions for recovery that you haven't covered.  Acupuncture sounds like a great idea, and I think physical therapy is a miracle.

Come crab to us if needed.  Good luck, and post to tell how you're doing when you can?

Best wishes!zi

Thankfully it's not my dominant hand...I get to put that surgery off a couple more years, until I have one good arm.  Stupid shoulders both popped out during seizures cause by a brain bleed in 2005.  The dominant shoulder had to be put back in, but that actually did less damage than the one that put itself back in.  They told me then that I would probably need shoulder surgery eventually on both of them.  

Great ideas!  I  can't believe I haven't made a library run yet.  Or maybe I'll make a kindle "run".  That will probably be easier to hold instead of a book after the surgery.  Last surgery I watched all of the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo movies, since I couldn't sleep on the pain meds.  I'll have to find a good series to read and a good series to watch too!

As for food, I've got some help in that department, but I am going to cook a lot tomorrow and freeze it.  I love cooking so that'll help to take my mind off the impending surgery too.  I have to do a snack run though.  There is nothing worse than needing to take pain meds and realizing that you have nothing quick to eat with them.

My kids are laughing, because they want me to play Clue with them when I'm on pain meds.  They decided that could really have a lot of fun that way.  I'm glad they are seeing the silver lining here.  :lol Thankfully, they are 14, 12, and 10, so hopefully they will be helpful, and my dh is great about it.  He's been there, done that and has the putting my deodorant on down to a science.  He also learned how to braid my hair for me last time, because I couldn't get it out of my face.  

#7 of 19 Old 01-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Hope everything goes well tomorrow!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#8 of 19 Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
If possible, I'd suggest going outside a couple of times every day. Even if it is just to walk once around your yard or just stand on the top step or balcony or whatever you have.

When I have been essentially house-bound with sickness or recovery from surgery, I have found that even a few minutes outside helps a lot. And I am not a particularly outdoorsy person.

All the best. Keep in touch when you can.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 19 Old 01-22-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

Hope everything goes well tomorrow!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

If possible, I'd suggest going outside a couple of times every day. Even if it is just to walk once around your yard or just stand on the top step or balcony or whatever you have.

When I have been essentially house-bound with sickness or recovery from surgery, I have found that even a few minutes outside helps a lot. And I am not a particularly outdoorsy person.

All the best. Keep in touch when you can.

I will have to do that.  I know I get feeling so restless and miserable stuck inside.  

I got a call earlier today that the workman's comp insurance ordered me one of those automatic cold therapy things for after my shoulder.  I never would have thought of even asking for one, but if they want to give it to me, I'll take it.  Hopefully that'll help cut down on the pain meds I have to take, so I won't feel like a complete zombie!

Thank you all for the good wishes!  

#10 of 19 Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

I don't have any extra ideas other than what's already been mentioned, but good luck! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#11 of 19 Old 01-22-2014, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Do you have Netflix? At $7.99 a month with one month free it is pretty amazing.

Hope the surgery goes well! I feel for you. I just had a tendon repaired last year in my wrist. I had no idea what the recovery would be like. I thought I would be working out two days later.

I will be thinking of you.
#12 of 19 Old 01-23-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

Subbing to come back to help after some family time. <3 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#13 of 19 Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thinking of you, and wishing you all the best!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#14 of 19 Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

So, how much movement will you have?  And what sorts of movements will help with your OT and which can you do but should limit for recovery? I can think of a few fun craft ideas if you let me know what you should be doing physically.  Also, maybe a NEW game?  Do you guys play RISK?  That's my favorite game. Also Settlers of Catan is really fun.  I'm no help on books these days but can recommend some shows/movies. Did you ever watch Call the Midwife?  It's lovely!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#15 of 19 Old 01-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I think the kindle is a great idea. My MIL broke her arm, too, and had to have surgery and she loved her kindle during that time for just the reason you said. She could hold it in one hand. She did a lot of reading. I think if you can get out and walk some, too, that would probably be a good idea for mental as well as physical reasons  just so you don't feel so stuck. The other advice you've gotten is great, too.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#16 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone. i'm feeling pretty good today. had a really rough time with getting the pain under control the first day or so. i do have more use of my arm than last time, and we've figured out a few tricks to helping me get set up on the couch

. i've been reading when i can. the meds are making that a little tricky, since i keep having to go back and read the same page.  lol  

i've been enjoying some of my favorite movies on netflix and amazon too.  i haven't gotten outside yet . its way below freezing and i can't get my coat on.  hopefully i can figure that out soon. 

hopefully each day will get a little easier! 

#17 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I am thinking of you. I am glad you are done and on the way to recovery. Thank goodness you have movies! That will keep you well entertained. If you want a happy fun show on Netflix try How I Met Your Mother. It is just light and happy. I watched some Dexter last year and it made me feel really yucky generally.

Take care!
QueenOfTheMeadow likes this.
#18 of 19 Old 01-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Welcome back!  Hope your recovery is going well.

#19 of 19 Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Had my first pt appointment on Thursday. It was just the evaluation, but wow! It was rough. She also thought they may have given me the wrong discharge info when they told me I didn't have to wear my sling after the nerve block wore off. Oops! So she got me comfortable in the giant padded sling before I left. I have you o admit, it does feel better with it on!
IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page