Where's it appropriate to pee at a pool or waterpark? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Where have you peed at a swimming pool or waterpark?
I always go to a toilet 28 68.29%
I've peed in the pool. 9 21.95%
I've peed in the showers 4 9.76%
I've peed in the grass or lounge chair 0 0%
I've peed in the dressing room 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#1 of 31 Old 01-26-2014, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last summer we went to several different water parks and never notice the kids run to the restroom. When I asked my daughter she admitted she just did it in the pool. I wasn't sure what to say to her, she acted as if it where normal. Another day I was walking with my sons and the eldest excused himself for a moment as we passed the mens shower room. Naturally, a moment later my little boy announced he needed to pee. I walked him to the door hoping to catch his brother as he was walking toward the restrooms As I stepped into the doorway the shower room was visible and indeed my elder son was right there, back toward us. But, before I could utter a word I noticed he was peeing onto the floor of the showers! I stepped away quickly to gather my thoughts when a lifeguard walked past us into the shower house. I panicked, thinking my son is going to get caught and be in trouble. I tried to listen at the door and eventually stepped back into the doorway to see the lifeguard doing the same as my son. I guess this is all normal, what does everyone else think? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think that's incredibly disgusting but it's also a good reminder to wear flip flops at all times in public gyms. I also don't touch walls in public when I can help it because I know some men and boys do pee on them (I had an ex who did all the time). I taught my dd young to always use the restroom but you never know what they will pick up from friends.
#3 of 31 Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)

That's disgusting. Unless you're camping in the back country and need to dig a pit or pee behind a bush, when we're in a public setting within reasonable proximity to a toilet, that's where we should go! 

This question reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where George pees in the shower of the gym and gets totally ostracized...

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

headscratch.gif

You can pee in a lake and the ocean.  

Any where else, use a toilet!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#5 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did water aerobics when I was pregnant. Totally peed in the pool!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#6 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Seems every woman would respond, "that's disgusting" just out of instinct, but I think that's a bit hypocritical of us when according to other polls here some 3 out 4 of us confess we pee in "presumably are own" showers. We can confess that here with the unanimity of the internet, but it's not something we'd announce in person, much less do in public.If he had told me, "mom I pee through my swimsuit while showering," I wouldn't think anything of it, but instead he was doing so quite obviously. I realize that men don't have the same apprehension about urinating, passing gas or such in public, much less when they're out of the eye of women but still I was concerned about him getting caught doing so and how another guy or employee would react to that type of open behavior. We've all seen men urinating against a fence, building, tree or such and don't think much of it. If this a common thing in mens locker rooms I don't suppose it matters what I think of it, as I don't go into mens rooms, but I was concerned about him getting in trouble for doing so, in which case I really need to address this with him. The fact that not only did the life guard not object to him doing so, but proceeded to do so himself gave me some reassurance that his actions weren't outrageous as the life guard wouldn't have risked doing so himself.

Anyway, I was curious how many of us moms secretly pee in the showers as well and if any other moms had any knowledge of their sons, husbands, brothers doing as my son did.   PS I realize I screwed up on the poll by not allowing multiple choices, so if you're guilty of more than one, check the one you feel most daring, or write about experiences you've had. Thanks to "one girl", for sharing that she knew that "her ex peed on walls all the time," that's what I'm curious to know.  Thanks, Tammy    

#7 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 PM

I totally pee in the shower and will continue to do so. LOL

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#8 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 PM

I admit I pee in my OWN shower, but I think in a public place people should use the toilets. I get why guys pee in the woods or by the side of the road when there isn't anything handy. But if there is a toilet within a reasonable distance, they should use it. Just because other guys do it, I don't think that makes it right. 

#9 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmom5 View Post

Seems every woman would respond, "that's disgusting" just out of instinct, but I think that's a bit hypocritical of us when according to other polls here some 3 out 4 of us confess we pee in "presumably are own" showers. 

There are other peeing polls on Mothering? Most responses on this one are in the "always use a toilet" group, so I think those of us that answered that it's disgusting and chose that answer are not being hypocritical at all... it's just not sanitary. I'd rather not be stepping in some random stranger's urine in a dressing room, or frankly, swimming in it. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#10 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 PM

I bet they (OP's son and lifeguard) peed in the shower due to lack of urinals. Old habits die hard!

Just curious, isn't urine sterile?

joy.gif

#11 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 PM

Urine is sterile as it leaves the body. It can start growing stuff after that, but assuming it drains rather than standing in a pool on the floor, there's not going to be much of it left. In a chlorinated pool, the chlorine is partly there to compensate for people peeing in the pool. The health risk is probably pretty minimal. 

But I still don't think it's appropriate to pee in a pool, or some other public place, after you're potty-trained. I mean, I just don't get WHY. Why can't a person just go use the toilet that is available for that use, rather than treating the world like their urinal? Even if it's not a huge sanitary risk, it's just tacky. 

#12 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 09:33 PM

When I peed in the pool it was because I was hugely pregnant and peeing every ten mins. I HAD to work out during my pregnancy so if I didn't pee in the pool I don't know what I would've done. I never just did it for giggles LOL.

joy.gif

#13 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 PM

Urine is normally sterile unless bladder infection. I pee during my shower and bath at home... it will be washed down the drain with the water. I never thought of urine as dirty, so it would not bother me that others peed in the showers.. As a kid I peed in the public pool; as an adult I get out to use their toilet if possible. If I were using the public shower and had to go during that time I wouldn't exit just to use the toilet I'd pee during the shower as it would wash away otherwise I'd never enter the shower just to pee in it. Now defecation would totally gross me out,  but I just don't get the "ick" factor some people have with urine... here's an interesting page..

http://www.curiosityaroused.com/health/survival-101-is-urine-sterile-enough-to-drink/

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#14 of 31 Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Huh? I thought this was for a child. Well a toilet trained adult should pee in the toilet, certainly not the pool. However, i think its ok to pee in the shower.

At the beach however, i have no qualms peeing in the big ocean.

#15 of 31 Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Lake, river, ocean, back country - OK. Your own house/yard/shower - your business. Pool or other heavily peopled area - heck no! Go use the toilets!! (the only exception I would make is for a young child having an absolute *emergency*)

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#16 of 31 Old 01-31-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

I totally pee in the shower and will continue to do so. LOL

Me too!

I do teach my kids to use the bathroom before and after showering and before and after going to the pool.  I wouldn't be upset if they did urinate in our own showers, but we've just always taught them to go first.  I don't know why I'm sharing that, but maybe I need to confess my hypocritical parenting.  :W 

#17 of 31 Old 02-01-2014, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

A lot of competitive swimmers pee in pools... Baby Swim diapers don't bulk up because they don't hold in the urine, a fact that many many a parent learned while waiting for the water slide at the pool I used to guard at. And many swim instructors/lifeguards pee in pools too... not because they want to... but when you are teaching 5 hours of lessons back to back to back and no breaks with strict boss' you don't really have any other choice. The odd time you could get someone to come watch your class if you had to go briefly (but depending on who was running the pool deck half the time we were told to just "go in the pool") or you could run between classes but I know where we taught lessons ended on the half hour and started on the half hour. Any time missing and the parents would be mega upset! Also I have been peed on more than once buy a child I was holding/carrying before lessons. I would just hop in the water and all would be fine. I would take being peed on any day rather than being puked on like I was a few times...

Now taking off a wet bathing suit and putting it back on is ridiculously challenging too, however that's when you use the pull to the side technique ;) Simply pull the bottom of the bathing suit to the side and slide it back in place when you are done! And public showers NO! But home showers yes!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#18 of 31 Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 PM

As "delightedbutterfly" said, many lifeguards, instructors and managers pee in the pools. As bad as it may sound, urine is sterile and mostly harmless and due to limited breaks it's the most practical solution. While urine may not make the pool unsanitary, it does add to another problem. Initially, there is no odor in the air when chlorine is added to pool water to sanitize it. The strong odor present in under-ventilated indoor pools is due to the reaction of chlorine and body sweat, urine and organic matter (leaves, grass, ect.) This chlorine gas is toxic and is the cause of burning eyes itchy skin, sore throats. Peeing in the pool adds to this problem, although outdoor pools aren't as much an issue.

In the mens locker room a similar problem exists in urinals, where chlorinated water reacts with urine to create the foul odor often present in even a clean fixture. Recently, someone invented a waterless urinal that uses a thick blue liquid to seal the trap, yet let the urine drain through without water. The urine itself is sterile and without the chlorinated water, there's less odor.

The primary sanitation issue in locker rooms is mold and fungus. They thrive in dark, warm, moist environments and are the cause of Athletes Foot as well as toenail fungus. This is the reason you should always wear flip-flops in the locker room! Because of this, locker room floors need to be sanitized often, regardless of how clean the guests might be. Urine can be quite acidic and contains urea, which breaks down into ammonia, (not unlike that of household cleaners). Both can kill or slow the growth of mold and fungus often found in locker rooms!

And yes, many men do pee in the showers of locker rooms. How would I know? From working at a pool complex for many years and to now managing it, I've seen and heard many things over the years. I soon realized that what I initially thought to be a disgusting habit, actually made my job easier. You see, when you walk into a rather dirty shower, what catches your eye is the very clean corner or a half circle of wall without that darkness of mold. It doesn't take much imagination to realize a man urinated there. Of course, we need to clean the whole room anyway, but it certainly isn't making any more work for us. Initially, I assumed it was the boys whom were guilty of the act, but over the years I've realized that the senior men swimming in the early morning are the worst offenders! And as with the pool, I know that many of our male guards as well as the former manager pee in the showers as well. The thing is, there's absolutely no harm in them doing it, (if anything helps to remove some of the molds) and it seems to be somewhat of a liberating thing for the guys. So I wouldn't worry about it too much "Beachmom" you'll never stop them anyway.

#19 of 31 Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 PM

Just because a ton of people do it, does not make it okay. In my opinion. 

#20 of 31 Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delightedbutterfly View Post

A lot of competitive swimmers pee in pools..

And public showers NO! But home showers yes!

No!  and Yes!

Swimmers don't pee in the pool.  We hop out to the locker room.  I'm a distance swimmer and swim with distance swimmers.  In the winter when we are in the pool, people will sometimes get out 2 or 3 times in a two hour workout to use the toilet.  Once in the great outdoors it is easier.

And, I pee in shower all the time.  My bladder wouldn't have it any other way! :o  I don't pee in public showers if I can help it.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmysmom View Post

As "delightedbutterfly" said, many lifeguards, instructors and managers pee in the pools. As bad as it may sound, urine is sterile and mostly harmless and due to limited breaks it's the most practical solution. While urine may not make the pool unsanitary, it does add to another problem. Initially, there is no odor in the air when chlorine is added to pool water to sanitize it. The strong odor present in under-ventilated indoor pools is due to the reaction of chlorine and body sweat, urine and organic matter (leaves, grass, ect.) This chlorine gas is toxic and is the cause of burning eyes itchy skin, sore throats. Peeing in the pool adds to this problem, although outdoor pools aren't as much an issue.

The ammonia-chlorine problem isn't the only one.  Increase urine means increased chloramines.  After just a day or two chloramines change into dichloramine and some trichlorimines.  When these are with other organic matter (skin, mucous, grass, and dirt, etc) they form trihalomethanes (THM).  This is the source of the chlorine smell you get with pools.  It isn't something you can just filter out of the pool.  It stays in the air and in the water.  I can't imagine any pool manager who is also the CPO (certified pool operator) would pee in the pool.

If teachers are not getting a chance to get out of the water at least every 45 minutes, do you really want them teaching your kid?  Go someplace else for lessons!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#21 of 31 Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I have to say, I am going to have to stop reading this thread, or I will not be able to go to the water park next week! yikes2.gif

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#22 of 31 Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post

Quote:

A lot of competitive swimmers pee in pools..

And public showers NO! But home showers yes!

No!  and Yes!

Swimmers don't pee in the pool.  We hop out to the locker room.  I'm a distance swimmer and swim with distance swimmers.  In the winter when we are in the pool, people will sometimes get out 2 or 3 times in a two hour workout to use the toilet.  Once in the great outdoors it is easier.

And, I pee in shower all the time.  My bladder wouldn't have it any other way! redface.gif   I don't pee in public showers if I can help it.  

Not all competitive swimmers pee in pools, but a lot do. Where I worked we had two very large competitive teams that both produced many top Olympians and world class swimmers. In fact my of these world class athletes trained in our facility every day. Yes I can tell you with 100% certainty that many if not most of them pee'd in the pools on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post

If teachers are not getting a chance to get out of the water at least every 45 minutes, do you really want them teaching your kid?  Go someplace else for lessons!

This would be a scheduling nightmare! I would often teach 5 straight hours because our instructors and program was so high in demand. I wouldn't get in the pool for less than two hours of lessons. It wasn't worth my time, nor did I have to. I could easily teach 8 (often more) hours a day with only a half hour or hour break somewhere. Why would I *want* to get out of the water where I was warm to lose money and time when I could be teaching to be cold and miserable just because? I'm not saying every instructor pee'd in the pool every single lesson or time they taught, but the odd time? Yeah it happened because it was our work.

Just like sometime's I'd leak breast milk while teaching lessons... There's also saliva, mucous, dead skin cells and seman floating around in pools too. Does it all contribute to the off gassing? Yep. Is it gross? Yep... Is it simply an aspect of going to the pool...? Yep!

#23 of 31 Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
This would be a scheduling nightmare!

Isn't that where the 25 minute private lesson came from?  :W  It hasn't been proven that 25 minutes is the perfect length of time for a 5 year old to learn to swim!  30 and 45 minute lessons are the norm.  But if you have two 30 minute lessons and then a 45 minute lesson you need a bit of time to look at your roster, grab some food, hit the toilet (although it appears that is up for debate!) and get ready for the next round of lessons.  Out of the water instructors can go longer.

(Coaches like the ones my kids have can go for hours! They barely look up from their phones to notice the team......:irked )

Pool scheduling (along with hockey rinks, indoor soccer and lacrosse fields) is all based on cramming in as many people as possible during the time frame everyone wants. You want to maximize both your facility and your staff.    Sounds like you know that as well as I do!

#24 of 31 Old 02-06-2014, 02:35 PM

Our instructors were never allowed to be on deck more than a couple minutes at a time and only for the very highest levels. Coaches were never regulated through our program. They were simply paying to use the space.

Lessons were our biggest money maker and we needed to have as many at one time as possible so other times could have free/family/fun swims. We ran a LOT of lessons and were highly sought after. Parents would not have been happy with 25 min lessons and frankly neither would we. Would we have been paid a full thirty minutes? And who was paying for that. The parents or the facility. Our privates were always third minutes too. And a 45 min class would almost always be given to an instructor that could teach the next 45 min class or had a private or few after. Our lesson sets ran almost all day on Tuesday and Thursday and often most of the other days except Sunday. I could easily get 4-5 hrs straight on a Saturday morning!

Different strokes and pools for different folks. I have seen things run differently at different pools. Where we are now my kids instructor was only in the water for 30 mins. Sorry, I would almost never have gotten in the water for that amount of time. We were I guess hardcore at our jobs and we were GOOD! And there was A LOT of us. We could easily have 30-35 instructors in the water at one time. But we had a huge facility and swimming lessons like I said was our biggest money maker. We were often sold out in minutes of them opening the lesson registration.

#25 of 31 Old 02-06-2014, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Totally peed in the pool!!

Quote:

A lot of competitive swimmers pee in pools... Baby Swim diapers don't bulk up because they don't hold in the urine, a fact that many many a parent learned while waiting for the water slide at the pool I used to guard at. And many swim instructors/lifeguards pee in pools too... not because they want to... but when you are teaching 5 hours of lessons back to back to back and no breaks with strict boss' you don't really have any other choice.

Quote:

As "delightedbutterfly" said, many lifeguards, instructors and managers pee in the pools. As bad as it may sound, urine is sterile and mostly harmless and due to limited breaks it's the most practical solution.

I wasn't surprised that about 25% of moms confessed to peeing in the pool, frankly I would have guessed more. I confess that many times I have, out of an urgent need or when I didn't want to leave the kids. I was a bit surprised that my daughter came up with the idea it was perfectly normal to do so, when I'd never suggested doing so. Anyway, unless you talk about it, no one ever knows you do it, so I'm not to concerned about her, but I am still a bit concerned about my son getting in trouble in the locker rooms.

Quote:

And yes, many men do pee in the showers of locker rooms. How would I know? From working at a pool complex for many years and to now managing it, I've seen and heard many things over the years. I soon realized that what I initially thought to be a disgusting habit, actually made my job easier. You see, when you walk into a rather dirty shower, what catches your eye is the very clean corner or a half circle of wall without that darkness of mold. It doesn't take much imagination to realize a man urinated there. Of course, we need to clean the whole room anyway, but it certainly isn't making any more work for us. Initially, I assumed it was the boys whom were guilty of the act, but over the years I've realized that the senior men swimming in the early morning are the worst offenders! And as with the pool, I know that many of our male guards as well as the former manager pee in the showers as well. The thing is, there's absolutely no harm in them doing it, (if anything helps to remove some of the molds) and it seems to be somewhat of a liberating thing for the guys. So I wouldn't worry about it too much "Beachmom" you'll never stop them anyway.

Is it really common for men to pee openly in the showers? I don't see it as being harmful, but would other men find it inappropriate or is that just something a mom would think of?

#26 of 31 Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 AM

Our local YMCA and our city pools space out swim lessons by five minutes each and instructors do get out of the pool so I don't think it is common for instructors to pee in the pool. I think making conditions so harsh people have to wet themselves because their workplace doesn't provide time for a break would be grounds for a lawsuit. I've heard of similar lawsuits in the past.
#27 of 31 Old 10-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Is it OK to Pee in the Pool?

My husband and I when we are on the road stay at motels with a pool. both of us like to swim in the summer we use the motel pools.
Most of the pools don't have a ladies room by the pool so If I have to pee when swimming I pee in the pool.
If I'm on the beach on the river I always go out in the river sometimes just to pee in it.
I pull my bottoms down to mid thigh and hold on to them and pee standing in the pool or river. Finished I pull my bottoms up and swim away.
If there is a ladies room I'll use it instead of peeing in the pool

Last edited by Kellygirl59; 10-15-2014 at 12:39 PM.
#28 of 31 Old 10-21-2014, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's often easy to spot who is peeing in the pool by the looks on their faces
#29 of 31 Old 10-29-2014, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Just curious, isn't urine sterile?
If you do not have a blood, kidney or bladder disease, healthy urine is sterile.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#30 of 31 Old 10-30-2014, 01:24 PM

It is sterile until it leaves the body, when it becomes contaminated...or so i thought....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page