Let’s pretend gas is $10.00 a gallon – what would you do differently? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 02-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Thinking about it, I'm not sure we could get everyone where they need to go on public transportation.

Yes, and the cost of public transportation would increase along with fuel prices. Also, the school bus to my kids' school doesn't serve our area, and I'm not putting my kindergartner on a city bus by herself, so I'd have to ride round-trip in the morning and the afternoon to get her to and from school. I wonder how those costs would stack up against the gas it would take to fuel my car for that distance.

Like you, we have a larger car that seats 7 people despite the fact that we're a 4-person family, because we do frequently carpool. Smaller, more fuel efficient cars are great (DH has one for work), but larger cars, while less fuel efficient, do allow carpooling, so there is some trade-off there.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#32 of 34 Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Considering my dh lives 120 miles away during the work week and only comes home one day at a time, we'd pretty much never be able to see him again.  Gas is a huge killer for us right now, at $10 a gallon he would have to quit his job if he ever wanted to see his family.  

#33 of 34 Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that I would stop driving my kids to school. I'd be more conscious of planning/combining errands. But as it is, I use about half of the gas that I did 5 years ago because I've cut down on unnecessary trips. So there wouldn't be much more to cut. DH works from home, so he doesn't drive much either.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#34 of 34 Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Yes, and the cost of public transportation would increase along with fuel prices. Also, the school bus to my kids' school doesn't serve our area, and I'm not putting my kindergartner on a city bus by herself, so I'd have to ride round-trip in the morning and the afternoon to get her to and from school. I wonder how those costs would stack up against the gas it would take to fuel my car for that distance.

Like you, we have a larger car that seats 7 people despite the fact that we're a 4-person family, because we do frequently carpool. Smaller, more fuel efficient cars are great (DH has one for work), but larger cars, while less fuel efficient, do allow carpooling, so there is some trade-off there.

In the $10 gas scenario, it's possible people would make arrangements with those of us with larger cars to take kids to/from school - avoid the public transportation issue for kids too young & possible also cheaper for both parties.

Interesting discussion!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page