What would you buy if... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you received $400 as a wedding gift from a close relative with the instructions to get something that would always remind you of your love for each other.. what would you buy?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Wow, that's a hard question to answer. I guess wedding photos. :p

#3 of 14 Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

That is hard.  My answer would have been different when I actually got married (18 years ago, poor, etc) than now.  Now, I think I would get a cool bench for out back with our wedding date engraved.  We have been eyeing some cement curved benches to circle the fire pit, so that would be it.  We spend a lot of summer nights together around the fire, watching the kids, etc.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 14 Old 01-30-2014, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

am more practical than romantic & the two wedding gifts that i do remember well (it's been 19 years ...) are

- the pie server DH's grand-mother gave us in person (not on our wish list, maybe not the color we would have choosen ... but useful anyway AND we do remember her when we use it)

- the sewing machine that she selected from our wish list (i don't use it as much as i would wish to ... but it's conforting to me to know that somehow there's a link with her whenever i do use it)

#5 of 14 Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Nice binoculars for each of us. Weird, I know, but dh and I love going birding together. Some of our favorite memories have been made while birding!

AAK and BeckyBird like this.

#6 of 14 Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Birding is awesome!!

For $400, I think DH and I would buy a small greenhouse kit. We like gardening together :)

QueenOfTheMeadow likes this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#7 of 14 Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i would pitch in some more and get a vitamix. 

nutrition is very important in our family and the vitamix would be used multiple times a days. every day. 

BeckyBird likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 14 Old 01-30-2014, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I am stumped by the "always remind you of your love for one another" part, I guess.  I was thinking it had to be more sentimental than practical.  But I like a lot of these ideas.

#9 of 14 Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

I am stumped by the "always remind you of your love for one another" part, I guess.  I was thinking it had to be more sentimental than practical.  But I like a lot of these ideas.

Viola like others have pointed out - if i had received the gift right after marriage i would have spent it on some silly crap. its only when i got into my late 30s did i realise how much i appreciate practical gifts - esp. stuff i cant afford but i would LOVE to have. like a vitamix. or a good pair of shoes. or even some high quality underwear. 

when i was younger i would never understand why anyone would gift a vitamix.

however on another note, even today - i expect different gifts from different people. if my 'nonexistant' dh gave me a vitamix as a gift i'd clobber him. that i would consider a family purchase (of course i'd forgive him if he was a terrible gift buyer and had no clue). i would prefer something more sentimental from him. or directly related to my hobby. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#10 of 14 Old 02-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Sterling silver flatware - use it every day & have the beauty and utility of it symbolize the the work & joy of your marriage. Sterling usually holds value well & if you buy "estate" silver, then basically you pay for the weight of it.  At a place like Beverly Bremer, you can buy a 4-piece dinner setting for about that price

#11 of 14 Old 02-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post

Sterling silver flatware - use it every day & have the beauty and utility of it symbolize the the work & joy of your marriage. Sterling usually holds value well & if you buy "estate" silver, then basically you pay for the weight of it.  At a place like Beverly Bremer, you can buy a 4-piece dinner setting for about that price

wow. i love antique sterling silver flatware. i dont have any of course.

as i was checking out that site, i was so shocked by how many of those designs are used still today - in various forms of stainless steel quality. the majority of them. and those designs are manufactured internationally too. wow. blows my mind. 

#12 of 14 Old 03-09-2014, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Some awesome ideas here. Thank you all for the input! Would love to hear more if anyone has any other thoughts.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#13 of 14 Old 03-09-2014, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

How about a beautiful wedding quilt? You do live in Pennsylvania. :) There's a pattern called 'wedding ring' or 'double wedding ring', and you could snuggle under it on cold nights. Maybe get your names and wedding date embroidered on it? No idea how much such a thing would cost, mind you, but it's a nice romantic heirloomy idea, I think. :) Mum made us a wedding quilt when we got married - well, it took her five years! - and it's pretty cool.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#14 of 14 Old 03-10-2014, 12:25 AM

Uh, a new bedframe maybe :blush

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page