What is the worst packaged food? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think it's the blue and yellow boxed mac and cheese. Mostly because it's such a start them young and keep them hooked thing. With soda at least you know it's bad for you. With the mac and cheese people think it's healthy and are tricked.

What say you? The worst packaged foods?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I don't know the worst, but "Baked potato chips" have to be up there for the same reason as mac and cheese: they pretend to be healthier, but they are really more processed and are pretty much just lower-fat Pringles.  Potato chips, the plain kind, aren't good for you, but they are relatively natural by comparison: potatoes, oil, salt.

But I don't know, there is some scary stuff being passed off as food these days.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Worst tasting, worst in terms of health, bad for the environment or all of these?  :)

I'll have to think about this.  

Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Worst tasting, worst in terms of health, bad for the environment or all of these?  :)

Or ethically.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

"Fruit snacks" are pretty bad.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)

Breakfast cereals!  Some granola products are just terrible for the reasons a pp stated:  they pretend to be healthy but have all sorts of crap added.

Watch someone find a way to screw up kale.  Deep frying?  A sugar glaze?

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 AM

Anything colored blue. Those fakey colored ice pops. And Lunchables.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Anything colored blue. Those fakey colored ice pops. And Lunchables.

Yes!

Also along the lines of things that are supposed to be healthy, but actually are awful: those colored yogurts.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Or ethically.

OK, I would say some sort of artificially colored, msg laden, breaded polar bear bits that were deep fried in orangutan killing palm oil that were sent to Japan for processing before being shipped back to the customer.

So that doesn't exist.  Ummm, I'll go with Pizza flavored Pringles then.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

fake cheese like cheese whiz, mac & cheese, ritz crackers with cheese in between, puffy cheese snack things, etc, yet oddly I love hawkins cheezies, even though terrible for you.

~

Old 02-04-2014, 09:42 AM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

The fruit snacks are the winner for me.  People seem to think they are healthy because they have the word "fruit" in them.  They market completely to the little kids, and they aren't made from anything good!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

when i look at worst i think of three ingredients - fat, sugar and salt. so to me tv dinners - not food at all. 

when i think of food i think of lots of veggies and some grain and some beans and a little meat once in a while here or there (that's just us though - where meat is concerned coz we are rare meat eaters. i have no problems with someone eating meat everyday. its the amount of meat at the cost of other foods that bother me). 

so i look at food very differently. in my books ethically i find breakfast foods the worst. no matter how healthy, whether organic or not. all grain - perhaps some with dried fruit. but the idea that one should eat at least some fruit with it - is sorta not really mentioned. i really dislike that. we generally eat sooo much grain. we need to change our thoughts around bfast. with all the additives to make it seem healthy is ethically wrong. instead of saying eat more fresh fruit and veggies for bfast they advice dont have lucky charms but eat oatmeal. you put raisins in them thinking they are healthy instead of fruit and there you go adding sugar. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 PM

There are too many for me to pick a worst, but I have a particular hate on for Lunchables, because they're nutritionally awful, ridiculously expensive for what you get, use very excessive packaging, and pretend to be real food. Out-and-out junk (candy, etc.) doesn't grate on me the same way.

In a similar vein...Nutella could be worse for you, as it does contain some decent ingredients, but the way it's marketed as a healthy snack grates on my last nerve.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 02-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think juice is the worst, especially juice boxes because it doesn't offer the full range of nutrients fruit does, it's often sugary even if there is no added sugar, and it's typically very high in calories compared to the fruit people should be eaten.

Lunchables are also one of the worst,imo, because they contain three items that could be categorized as being in a recognizable food group but they aren't at all healthy.

I had never heard of Mac and cheese being considered healthy but it definitely is a big food item for many people. My stepdad had high cholesterol due to cheese consumption so cheese has never seemed healthy to me. It's delicious though.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 AM

I would classify anything that is not supposed to be in food - additives, funky colors, preservatives - and the foods that contain them as the worst. Things like blue "fruit" snacks with weird alien gel inside. Interesting that other people are more bothered by fat, sugar or salt. I can see the point, though, that those aren't even recognizably "food" whereas sugary juice, breakfast cereals, colored yogurts, etc. are touted as healthy, so people are fooled if they don't read labels. Agree that that's insidious.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

Interesting that other people are more bothered by fat, sugar or salt.

what i have noticed is that there is a tendency to give kids quite a bit of that. either singly or in combination. if it doesnt taste good add a lot of fat, sugar and salt - and voila what do we have kids whose taste buds are conditioned to that and that's what they grow up wanting. say a sandwich. one needs a tonne of mayonnaise to have it taste right. french fries dipped in ranch dressing. 

puberty is an extremely high energy intensive phase where kids need a lot of food to grow. their intake of carbs go up. grain base. instant sugar. yes esp. girls get a pot belly. normal part of teenage hood. but now that's looked down upon. watch your diet - instead of letting them eat mostly healthy and a little junky. 

how many people can actually drink water these days. they are all conditioned to juices and teas. 

having an older kid i find food conditioning is what affects her diet now. plus the fact that i have to now let her make the decisions and hopefully she has learnt enough to make the best choices. some of her choices are influenced by her peers. for instance to fit in she will drink a soda, but she would never touch a lunchable. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:

I would classify anything that is not supposed to be in food - additives, funky colors, preservatives - and the foods that contain them as the worst. Things like blue "fruit" snacks with weird alien gel inside. Interesting that other people are more bothered by fat, sugar or salt. I can see the point, though, that those aren't even recognizably "food" whereas sugary juice, breakfast cereals, colored yogurts, etc. are touted as healthy, so people are fooled if they don't read labels. Agree that that's insidious.

I'm not bothered by fat, except for trans fats, at all. Salt doesn't bother me overly much, but I do find many high sodium "foods" to be problematic, because they're usually extremely over-processed and the massive hit of sodium is put in to make them taste like something. Excessive sugar does bother me - again, not so much in candy and crap like that, because those things aren't masquerading as real food. But, the amount of sugar hidden in things like bread, cereal, peanut butter (not the stuff I buy, but many common brands), etc. makes me crazy.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

User Tag List