do you wear make-up? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i do once in a while - for myself. 

i would like to put on more but i dont have the guts to do it. i always admire those who use over make up tastefully. they seem to be so confident and carry themselves so well. i love confident people = women who walk with their head held high. with or without makeup.   

i dont care for make up. instead i LOVE face paint or body paint. i think its the art aspect of it. make up is a tame version of that. its usually eye liner and lipstick for me. 

but come halloween and WOAH. watch out ladies here i come. my costume is simple, my make up is phenomenal. 

however having said that - when i have had to attend formal meetings - dressed in business suit (not recently, whew) i always apply a little make up as i feel naked and half dressed when i dont wear make up with a suit. it calls for it and i are not complete without it.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I developed wrinkles much sooner than I anticipated. Add liver spots and I was feeling pretty sad.  I work in an office 5 days a week, now, and makeup is part of my daily routine.  Yesterday was maybe the third time I went to work without makeup since August.  Makeup helps me feel a little more grown up and professional.  I believe it makes a better first impression, until people can get to know me and my sparkling personality. 

I can say that I didn't bother with makeup for the first 15 years of adulthood because I didn't 'need' it. I didn't.  But, seriously, it was also because I was soooo scared of doing a bad job, it was just best not to wear any at all. I'd like to have worn more.

I'm still pretty conservative, relatively.  Most days it's foundation, neutral eye shadow, mascara, blush, and lip gloss.  Sometimes eye liner. I'd probably wear eyeliner more if I could do a better job.

Same with color eyeshadow. I've got a frosty bronze I wear periodically, very subtle. But any more colorful and I'm going to look silly.  It's too bad.  Between wearing a body 'shaper' (I don't) and putting on makeup, the makeup is a lot more fun.

My daughter wears a lot more than I ever did.  She prefers the thick cat eyeliner, etc. She does a fine job.  This is with me as an example, so there ya go. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wear makeup and I love it. Don't ever feel guilty about it!

Me (25) & DH (28) - Married 10/20/12, Together since 2008

Waiting impatiently to TTC #1

namaste.gifhomeschool.gifnocirc.gif hippie.gif

Old 03-13-2014, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
For probably... well, probably since my oldest was born 7 years ago, I would only wear makeup to church. I hated the way it felt on my skin and the way the eye shadow all collected in my crease. I managed to get a small sample of mineral makeup several years ago and LOVED it, but couldn't continue b/c of the price. I've recently found some naturally-based, cruelty-free makeup (including a mascara that even helps _my_ pathetic and puny little lashes) and am now even looking forward to even wearing makeup just for a grocery store trip. orngtongue.gif

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Nope. Some days I brush my hair though ;-).
Old 03-14-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odalisque View Post

I wear makeup and I love it. Don't ever feel guilty about it!

Same here.  I love buying it, wearing it, trying new things.  But I also love having a "face" for the world.  I'm more confident.  

I tried an olive greenish shadow a few weeks ago when I met a friend and she said "wow, I never realized you had so much green in your eyes!"  After being told my eyes were "s$&# brown" by my mother for 20 years, well it was all the inspiration I needed to try some new colors and punch things up.  

Old 03-14-2014, 12:26 PM

I wear makeup, I go for the vegan/cruelty free/mineral brands. I only wear it when I am out of the house (and not always), and more often in the winter months then in the summer when I've gotten some sun. I tend to wear natural-looking/ minimal makeup unless I feel like doing cat eye or heavier makeup occasionally.  The main reason i use it is to "even out" my complexion and to not look so "washed out". I've noticed people ask me if I don't feel well, am tired, or mention that i look washed out if I am not wearing makeup/ haven't gotten any sun!! The funniest thing to me is when i go visit with a friend in another city (I live in a much smaller, more conservative city) She has a lot of women friends who don't wear makeup, and oddly enough I get so many comments from them that I have "great skin!" and that I'm "glowy" or something... Hahah I'm always like... "it's makeup!" and they are always surprised I am wearing makeup, because in their circle it's not a desirable thing to do, and because apparently I'm good at making it subtle. 

The only child who watches me put on makeup is my toddler, and he LOVE when I groom. He will come in the bathroom with me, brush his hair, brush his teeth, play with my powder brush, play with his pretend razor/pretend to shave his face (from his dad). I don't find any problem with it at all. I'm sure it's different having an older or tween girl. 

Edited to say:

I went through a phase of not wearing makep for about 7 or 8 years in my mid teens to early 20's, just after I had my kids. My ex/ partner at the time was very controlling and generally had a negative attitude towards women. He also never made me feel desirable or beautiful, and I was feeling like a really frumpy mom at 23 after the birth of my second child. My sister sent me a bunch of organic makeup from the store she manages as a gift, and it made me feel so good- Not because I needed makeup to look good, but it gave me  confidence boost. I still remember a day shortly after she sent it (and I'm just talking mineral powder, mineral eyeshadow, and mascara!). My ex came home and he asked "Where did you learn to put on makeup?" in a friendly tone. I said "oh, I used to wear makeup a long time ago. this isn't much". Then his tone totally changed and he said "well, you look like a RODEO CLOWN". ... Yep, that totally happened. And I totally stayed with him for like 2 more years (and stopped wearing makeup again). SO you can imagine, when I left, I reclaimed that right to look and dress however I wanted and gave me confidence, because yes- that is feminist.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakitsune View Post I reclaimed that right to look and dress however I wanted and gave me confidence, because yes- that is feminist.

You got it, lady.  :thumb

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

Nope. Some days I brush my hair though ;-).

LOL!!!!!

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
Old 03-15-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I wear make up. I do not really care what anyone thinking of it. My life is too busy to contemplate how it fits into my life ideology and such navel gazing. I work, take care of kids, volunteers, meditate etc. My body and my choice.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:21 PM

I wore makeup all through middle and high school because my skin was terrible.  After I took Accutane in college, it cleared up nicely and I stopped wearing makeup all day, every day. It was great!  I always wore makeup for work or dates or whatever, but I felt I could also just skip it and I never felt like that before.  After college I went back to makeup every day because I had a job and it seemed like a good idea to make an effort.  Since I had my daughter eight years ago, I haven't worn makeup or gotten a manicure or exercised regularly or really taken care of myself at all.  I am the queen of home boxed hair color.  At some point, it just stopped feeling like I was entitled to spend that time on myself and so now I'm overweight and I have no idea how to put makeup on my now "mature" skin.  Lately I have been thinking about what a terrible message this sends to my daughter.  Very few of my friends seem to feel this way.  They get regular manicures and have gym memberships and usually look tidy and presentable, if not downright fantastic - at the same time, I do see them without makeup and not so "done" from time to time.  That's a pretty nice balance, to me.

So I would LIKE to wear makeup, I like the IDEA of makeup but my skin has changed dramatically since the last time I was a regular makeup wearer and I feel like nothing really looks right after I get it all on.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:02 PM

You are not entitled to exercise. You deserve it.

Forget make up and things.  Concentrate on physical fitness together with your child. You are 100%, you are sending her terrible message that being a mother means being a martyr.

Once your have a healthy work out and eating routine, your skin will change. Get make up  consultation then.

Good luck! You deserve a gym membership. Or pool pass, Or whatever else that would rock your world.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:09 PM

Thank you, I totally agree and I tell other mothers this all the time - being a mom doesn't mean being a martyr!  And full disclosure, I just re-read my post and I do wear makeup SOME of the time - weddings or dinner with friends but I also find myself just "not having time" because there's one more thing I could cross off my to-do list in the time I would be putting on makeup or working out.  Most days, I just feel guilty about setting aside time to work out and then do the kind of grooming and self care I notice pretty much everyone else considers normal.  I have gone through spurts of trying to at least wear tinted moisturizer, lip gloss, and mascara but even then I feel like there are other things I should be doing.  It's nuts but I'm working on it.  Of course, when my daughter was small I was just willing to trade makeup time for sleep ;-)

Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM

I feel quite conflicted about it at the moment, and tend not to. I don't like the way I look without makeup and would prefer to cover pores/shine, illuminate eye bags, mascara, lippy, all those things that make you look fresh and rested (or confident and pretty).

But I used to wear a bit of makeup to school and clubbing, got hassled a lot in some pretty bad ways.. Also was pressured by XP to be very girly when I'm not really.
It kind of left me with a complex about my appearance. Makeup seems to be widely considered as something worn for male attention, and I feel self conscious and anxious wearing it these days. Especially around male friends or aquaintances, because a few seem to be hanging around now that I'm single and I'm not ready to deal with that.

Daily face is usually SPF15 moisturiser and maybe a bit of concealer under the eyes.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:45 PM

My skin is rather sensitive to makeup though I'll dab a little lippy on if going for a pigout, and maybe a little blusher if my face looks a bit washed out, or some mascara to  enhance my eyes. As Juniper touches my face with her little hands, this is good reason why I don't wear makeup as it is possible she could become allergic in time to any stuff if I were to apply it.

User Tag List