Morning birthday party - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are having a morning birthday party for dd who will be turning 3. The party is 10 to noon so I feel like we need to offer something other then cake and ice cream, since it ends at lunch time. It's a small gathering about a dozen people.

My questions: what is the social etiquette for morning parties as far as food?

What would be practical for a small budget?
And also keep in mind easy stuff cause we have a baby and a toddler I don't want to be stressed out;)
#2 of 8 Old 02-15-2014, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I'd say lots of fresh fruit, perhaps a coffee cake or box of doughnut holes in place of the regular cake, and maybe something like little quiche muffins. Is it primarily a kid party or a relatives thing?

We did a breakfast party last year when my DD turned 3 and it was great. We did pumpkin pancakes, bacon, sausage, and fruit. It was just a family thing, though.
#3 of 8 Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Is it primarily a kid party or a relatives thing? .

Yeah it's just relatives. There will be one other child other then mine.

Not sure if we can nix the traditional cake.... That's all dd has been talking about.

I was thinking maybe yogurt vs ice cream? I can't see having both. Seems like that would be a lot of dairy.
#4 of 8 Old 02-15-2014, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

I think yogurt instead of ice cream is good idea. And maybe offer some fruit salad and a baked egg casserole? Think brunch things. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 8 Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Mini pancakes or waffles with fresh fruit, yoghurt, maple syrup etc would be lovely, as long as someone was available to cook 'em. Or how about one of those Dutch-style (?) puffy oven pancakes?

How about Danishes? They're sort of a breakfast food - at least, hotels seem to think they are. And they're yummy. :) 

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#6 of 8 Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 AM

Bagels and some spreads would be easy... So would a baked egg casserole thing as mentioned up thread (especially if your relatives are avoiding carbs.) 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#7 of 8 Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

I don't think you are required to serve lunch at a 10-12 party. You can decide if mostly family makes you less likely (they'll understand) or more likely (I want to feed my family) to do lunch. If you don't want to shoulder the expense of lunch than bagels/smoked salmon or quiche/breakfast breads or simply fruit and muffins is fine.

I would say that I have regretted not serving lunch in the past. It always makes me feel like I want to rush around and feed people at the end.

#8 of 8 Old 02-18-2014, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
So far all our birthday parties have been 10-12. We usually have more kids at them though, so bear that in mind when you read this.

Our menu is
- fruit, usually watermelon and grapes
- popcorn, a big bowl with a pile of cardboard party hats next to it to use as cups. You can also just use paper cups obviously.
- rice crackers, hummus, carrot/celery sticks
- cheese scones (my mum makes these for me)
- zucchini slice, made the day before and served cold
- pikelets, although I think I've only done these once as they're a bit labour intensive at the last minute.

I also blend a watermelon up with a bottle of apple juice and the mix in a bottle or two of sparkling mineral water and put it all in a big picnic drink container.

Our family is also pretty by on breakfast barbecues for events. Bacon and eggs on the BBQ, make a big pile of toast. Juice to drink. And usually a big bowl of fruit salad and muesli and yoghurt get put out too.
Springshowers likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page