March 2014 *already*! What did you accomplish today? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 133 Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

Catholic Mama, I hope your cat shows up again. Hubby's 6 or 7 yr old cat disappeared this past fall. He was outside all the time, but still sorta sad. A coyote probably got him. He was a PITA in the garden the last couple yearsso in that respect, I won't miss him. We're getting kittens sometime this spring. Joy, but we need them to keep mice and snakes away.

Last night we had chicken Parmesan Casserole, corn on the cob, and gf pasta. Tonight I'm going to get hubby to pick something up for dinner. So Subway or more likely something from the gas station. I'm just not feeling well. Yesterday I had to much gluten (like something from the gas station will be gf, probably make me feel worse, actually) and I was busy shipping with the little girl all by myself (which is doable, just hard. Usually she screams the majority of the 35 min trip home. I have a hard time dealing with that even when I'm not driving. Thank God, she was good as gold and slept on the drive like a normal baby), home to put up two weeks of shopping, cook dinner, then spend the evening visiting my father in laws cousin and his peppy wife. Totally wore me out. And I've been tried this week anyway.

So I'm killed today. And the baby's cranky.
We started by sleeping in after dad went to work
Got up and cleared the table so the girls could do school
Chatted with them in between work, they were gone to the coast all week bc their dad's aunt died. I think it was his aunt anyway.
Heard all about their first zoo trip and what they learned there
The dog's having her pups, so they went and checked on her a couple times. Of course it's windy today. Welcome to Washington, little pups. Get used to it.
Took a nap with the baby. That was more like work. She was tired but fighting it for an hour. Then she only slept 45 min.

Oh, funny. Right before nap time, I was changing her diaper. She was whinning and crying her protest. I had just eaten some pineapple and jello, which apparently makes me belch. When I let it out, she, in her whiney voice says, "Se-yuck!" (Sick) Lol, it was so funny.
That's cute, how old is she?

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 133 Old 03-15-2014, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Hi ladies!! Yesterday was Uneventful but Fridays are family night! We started this back before Christmas, we have a treat and rent a movie. We try to rent something not just the kids will like, but us too!!

So I woke up, made DD breakfast, got dressed and packed get lunch and snack.
Changed the baby
Took DD to school
Went to the grocery store
Came home, fed baby lunch
Put him down for a nap
Made chicken tortilla soup
Picked up house and put away groceries.
Fed DS snack
Picked up DD from school
Made tacos for dinner (DD pick for family night)
Ate dinner together, watched our movie ( the muppet movie, I really liked it!)and had treat. I made orange Julius
Put baby to bed
Put in a load of laundry
Did dishes and ironed DH clothes for work before bed.
Today I need to clean house and then we are going to the science center.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

#63 of 133 Old 03-15-2014, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

I changed the litterbox because I'm probably not pregnant and even if the cat doesn't come back, we want the bathroom to smell good. If she somehow survived the freezing weather last night and comes back, we'll welcome her back with a clean litterbox. I'm not hopeful that she lived through 32 degrees though. :( She's mostly an inside cat and two days ago we looked inside and out before and after dark and didn't see or hear her.

Could she still be inside and hiding?  When we moved into a temporary place my Maine Coon disappeared. He's 15 and I have had him longer than my children.  I was beside myself and we looked everywhere.  We thought he had gotten outside and I canvassed the neighborhood, knocking on doors, etc.  I searched the inside of the house, in every nook and cranny.  Days later, I am in the kitchen, crying against my husband's shoulder.  I opened my eyes and there, nonchalantly flipping his tail back and forth and sitting in the kitchen is my Maine Coon!  I have NO IDEA where he was hiding for those days because we literally tore the house apart looking for him.  So I hope your kitty comes back!

Mrs. Koehn, my son used to cry nonstop in the car.  It was miserable.  I totally feel for you!  I used to dread long car trips.  

KITCHENQUEEN!  Nice to "see" you again!  Your job sounds so stressful.  Hopefully you can enjoy the weekend, but it looks like you still have to look over your expense report.  :(

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
#64 of 133 Old 03-15-2014, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Thank you for giving me some hope back. (No wonder your user name is meowmix - you had a cat older than your children! :) Yes, that is possible, although I thought I would have heard her meowing my now or at least heard her moving the litter in her litterbox around, chewing her food, etc. She is less than a year and maybe not quite as smart as your cat was.

I finished meal planning and now I hope I can go to the store today so I can buy corned beef and cabbage for Monday. I'm out of whole chicken too.

I finished a book review last night: http://www.mothering.com/community/products/by-marie-winn-the-plug-in-drug-television-computers-and-family-life-25-anniversary-edition/reviews/6471 - probably my first since high school, and my first on Mothering!

Kitchensqueen, I will pray that things calm down for you.

apeydef, it sounds like you had a nice family night. I would like to start something like that with my family if my husband will participate, maybe adjusted to reading and talking about it or playing a game.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#65 of 133 Old 03-15-2014, 05:41 AM

Yesterday was pretty good!

*Wrote my paper for class so I don't have to write this weekend!

*Did absolutely nothing on the internet for a bit

*Son tried to teach me mancala but his game is like a tiny travel game

*Ran to Target to see if they had a bigger game.  They didn't.  Got Munchkin's Legends instead.

*Played that when we got home

*Went to game day at the local homeschool group.  Totally clicked with this group and LOVED it.  They are all local and I will definitely continue going.  One of the moms I know from a while back and another mom my good friend knows and yet another mom had kids in our Odyssey of the Mind group so I knew her, too.  The kids were really nice, too, and if son can get over his excessive anxiety and shyness, he might really like this group. :(  

*Roped a couple moms into playing a zombie card game with Trevor and I.

*Walked back home (see, the game day was walking distance from our house!) in time to meet the bus.

*Said hi to the girlies and chatted with them a bit

*Gathered up cookies cases and supplies for the cookie booth sale this evening and gave it to the people manning the booth

*Made chocolate mousse.. but it never set.  Went to whip cream but discovered the milk order had sent me cottage cheese by accident instead of cream (and I hate cottage cheese!)

*Husband ran out for dessert supplies (it's Friday and I ALWAYS make dessert on Friday nights)

*Watched this really awful movie that DD2 picked for movie night.  The preview looked good but it was terrible acting.  Like, worse than a made for TV movie.  Even the dog actor was bad.  We seriously spent most of the movie making fun of it.  And it was really sexist and I spent much time pointing out to the girls that the girl in the movie did not have to depend on the younger brother for survival in the wilderness, that she was perfectly capable of helping herself (she spent the whole time whining about things and he spent the whole time protecting her while she sat around.  Really annoying!)

Today I have a chiro appt, and son has a lax practice and nothing else is planned.  :)  Happy Saturday everyone!

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
#66 of 133 Old 03-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix View Post

KITCHENQUEEN!  Nice to "see" you again!  Your job sounds so stressful.  Hopefully you can enjoy the weekend, but it looks like you still have to look over your expense report.  :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

Kitchensqueen, I will pray that things calm down for you.

Thanks both - I'm an Operations Manager, so it is a pretty stressful job... but it pays the bills. More work later tonight - I do need to finish those expense reports, and an estimate, and write up some process specs for one of our consultants... ugh. I'm pretty close to hitting my wall lately with this job. We've got a lot of major projects happening simultaneously as well as some internal reorganization going on, so things are seriously insane. 

But anyway; today was a bit of a wash. 

- Stopped at Starbucks for coffee on the way to run errands. 

- Dropped off a DVD at the library. 

- Dropped husband off at the barber shop so he could get a haircut. 

- Took Little Man to Target to do grocery shopping (just needed a few things this week). 

- Picked up husband from the barber shop.

- Picked up Portillos for lunch. 

- All ate lunch together. 

- Put away the groceries. 

- Did two loads of laundry. 

- Put Little Man down for a nap. 

And then basically slept the afternoon away. I fell asleep while Little Man napped, and he napped for several hours - he never sleeps that long, so now I'm worried that he's coming down with something. Hopefully not. But now that he had such a long nap, bedtime is going to be later now... definitely an off-kilter day. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#67 of 133 Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 PM

I ended up hitting the wall with work. Checked my work email and it was stuffed full of needless staff issues. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to show up at work, do their jobs, be nice and have decent attitudes. So I couldn't do anything else. I gave up in frustration, disgust and exhaustion. So instead, my evening looked like this - 

- Updated my resume. 

- Applied for a few jobs. 

- Loaded the dishwasher and started it. 

And I just realized that all the clean laundry is still sitting on our bed... so I guess I'll go deal with that and then head in with my book. I just need the feeling of perpetual stress and anxiety to go away...

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#68 of 133 Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Quite a bit of running around this morning - 

- Stopped at Target to show husband a media console that was 70% off that I wanted, but he wasn't sold on it since it was paper-veneered particleboard. It looked nicer though! 

- Ran into Dollar Tree for a couple of papers for coupons, and also picked up some glittered egg plant stakes and some rainbow stickers for Little Man. 

- Dropped husband off at work. 

- Stopped at Michaels to cruise clearance - found St. Patrick's Day stuff at 50% off, so picked up three glittered shamrock plant stakes for $0.75 each, and three packages of plain green ribbon for $1 each to stow away for gift wrapping. 

- Went to a second Target to pick up the stuff we forget yesterday that the other location didn't have. Found canned veggies at stock up price, so picked up a dozen to start with. Will get another round with the rest of my coupons when I pick husband up from work (so annoying that Target only allows 4 like coupons per transaction....).

- Came home and put away groceries. 

- Helped Little Man make a rainbow collage with his stickers. 

- Heated up lunch for us. - Put Little Man down for a nap. 

And I should really either get up do housework or office work or something, but I may doze for a little bit. I am just past the point of exhaustion lately... So, still to come today - 

- Plant tomatoes, peppers and peas with Little Man. 

- Put away clean laundry. 

- Attempt to reconcile the expense reports another time. 

- Bake cookies with Little Man. 

#69 of 133 Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 PM

Nice afternoon here - 

- Had a nap while Little Man napped (yes I did!).

- Planted tomatoes, peppers and peas with Little Man. 

- Updated my Smart Gardener plan with the planting dates for the above. 

- Put away clean laundry. 

- Stopped at another Target to pick up some more canned veggies with my coupons and also found a buy one get one free deal on some cleaning items. Got $30 worth of stuff for less than $10!

- Picked up husband from work. 

- Baked soft gingerbread cookies. 

- Made dinner. 

- Baked a cinnamon sugar croissant loaf for breakfast. 

- Made pasta to go with the last of the sauce in the fridge, for lunches tomorrow. 

- Laid out my clothes for work. 

- Loaded the dishwasher with dirty dishes. 

- Swept the kitchen floor. 

- Checked my work email so I can stave off a fear-of-the-unknown-issues panic. 

How did everyone else's weekend go?

#70 of 133 Old 03-17-2014, 05:53 AM

Wow, Kitchensqueen, your job sounds pretty miserable.  I don't blame you for beginning to look for another job.  :( Good luck in your search. 

This was a busy weekend, I don't even think I updated for Saturday, too.  We did most of the housework, etc on Saturday because we had friends coming for dinner.  I also made lasagne on Saturday, too (and we all ate the whole thing so I had no leftovers!  WAH!).  I also had a chiro appt on Saturday morning and my neck is starting to feel marginally better.  The nonobadbordercollie was spayed on Friday and is in the Cone of Shame and can't be exercised, to her supreme disappointment.  My weekend has been filled with howling dog, restless dog, following-me-around-and-barking-at-me dog.  

Sunday:

*Woke up early to get DD2 to her lax scrimmage.  It was COLD.  I'm so SICK OF THE COLD! :angry And they lost like 9 to 2.  Ugh

*Took husband to his flag football practice and was going to watch it but the kids were grumping at each other and I was cold and not in the mood for it so I grumped at them and we left.

*Got home and told my son to fix his attitude now because he has been sullen and grumpy since last night and it's getting fairly teenagery and miserable to deal with.  Remarkably, that worked and he actually tried to be more cheerful with everyone.

*Ate lunch, took son to friend's Magic the Gathering Tournament and dropped him off

*Came home and got DD1 and we all went (husband, DD1, DD2, friend and DD2's BFF) to see the girls art in the community art show.  It was very cute.

*Browsed the used book store and bought way too many books.

*Picked up son and went to a recommended burger place for dinner. 

*Came home and played Dragon's Gold with girls. 

*School canceled for the snow storm!  Took kids to see the Lego movie.  We all loved it.

*Home way too late and in bed.  

Today I MUST work. I have barely worked the last couple weeks.  Also, study.  There is like 6 inches of snow on the ground with 3 more predicted.  It was like 65 degrees two days ago.  I'm so sick of cold and snow.  It hasn't been this cold this late in the year in forever.  

#71 of 133 Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Wow, Kitchensqueen, your job sounds pretty miserable.  I don't blame you for beginning to look for another job.  :( Good luck in your search. 

Yeah, it kind of is right now. I feel bad complaining, because I should be grateful that I have a steady job with some measure of security, and I can provide fully for my family (we're just getting into the spot where we can start saving my husband's income entirely!), but wow - if I don't let out the frustration somewhere, I might explode. 

Today was a bit better - I got those bleeping expense reports done, as well as a few other annoying things off my plate, and the rest of it I'm trying to not to stress about. There's always tomorrow. Rome wasn't built (or destroyed, for that matter...) in a day. :-)

After work - 

- Looked at the mail. 

- Played trains and cars for a little while with Little Man. 

- Made dinner for Little Man (since he won't touch corned beef and cabbage with a ten foot pole - sigh). 

- Printed some coupons. 

- Entered a Shutterfly code (LUCKY for a free calendar, expires 3/18). 

- Tidied the kitchen and living room. 

- Laid out my clothes for work tomorrow. 

- Updating my Goodreads current reading list. 

- Checked the seedling trays to see if anything needed water or has sprouted yet (no and no). 

Need to do a little work later, and hoping to watch Mr. Selfridge with husband. And I want to read some more in the current books I'm reading. 

#72 of 133 Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Today I:

-Got up earlyish, cleaned the house and baked cookies for a playdate

-Did some schoolwork with DD

-Rang the playdate-ee half an hour after she was due to arrive, only to get cancelled on. 

-Laughed a bitter laugh and swore anew not to invite said playdate-ee over again, as she fails to show up for four out of five playdates, usually without warning

-Rang other friend to ask her to come over for an auxiliary playdate, and to eat the lunch I'd made

-Made some cinnamon raisin scones when she asked if her parents could come too and I had my typical we-won't-have-enough-food panic

-Socialised with friend, picked apples and pears, ate lunch. Had a very pleasant time, so all was well.

-Tried to have a nap

-Peeled and sliced a ton of apples to freeze for pie, crumble etc.

-Made a white bean and sausage soup

-Read to DD and chilled with the guinea pigs

Now about to eat early and go out to a Bible study, taking the kids (who will hopefully watch a movie quietly in the other room and/or go to sleep.)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#73 of 133 Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

-Made some cinnamon raisin scones when she asked if her parents could come too and I had my typical we-won't-have-enough-food panic

omg, I totally do this, too.  Even when we have potluck parties where people are all bringing something, I still panic and make tons of food and we end up having way too many leftovers. 

Yesterday was a snow day for the kids and, since they are all freakin sick to death of snow, they spent a lot of time chilling.  I'm also not really remembering what I did, too.  lol

*Spent two hours working

*Read an entire book (I got it for son, but the theme was a bit mature- Confessions of a Teenage Baboon.  I read other stuff by the author when I was a teen)

*Made lunch, put chicken in the pot to simmer

*Played Pastiche with DD1.

*DD1 and son curled up the the dogs and watched Fellowship of the Ring.

*I played Trivial Pursuit with DD2 and her friend (didn't want them watching that movie)

*Took meat of chicken and put back in the pot.  Added veggies for chicken and dumplings.

*Started my chapter for class

*Made dumplings

*Ate dinner

*Read more of Call of the Wild to the girls (son read his own WWII book I got him the other day)

*Tucked kids in and watched Idiocracy with husband.

#74 of 133 Old 03-18-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

****  Sorry, animal death in this post.  ****

Still out on the west coast with DS2.  Our neighbor called yesterday that our dog wasn't feeling well; by the time she got her to the clinic she was critical and had to be euthanized.  Neighbor stayed with her . . . how do you thank someone for that?  We were with DS2, so I told him right away, then called DS1 to let him know.  GF2 was already here, and GF1 was home with DS1 soon after, so both boys had their wonderful SOs with them, and our dog had someone who loved her see her off.

Today DH and I slept in a little, went to a diner in the nearby village for breakfast, started packing for our return trip, and got on campus to meet up with "the kids."

- we hung out online and napped while the kids booted up and had some breakfast

- made a grocery list

- also made a what-to-mail-from-home list

- emailed back and forth with DS1

- took DS2 and GF2 grocery shopping . . . $188.00 and change! . . . someone really stocked up!

- back to their suite and did dinner prep; DH is cooking it up as I type

The rest of the evening is just hanging out.  We fly back home tomorrow.

I love reading accomplishments from those of you with younger children and realizing that it's all still the same eating-feelings-sleeping-eating-repeat-as-needed.  :-)

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#75 of 133 Old 03-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:

omg, I totally do this, too.  Even when we have potluck parties where people are all bringing something, I still panic and make tons of food and we end up having way too many leftovers. 

Yep, same here. As a Midwesterner it is completely ingrained in my genes that if you don't provide a laden table and a full glass (with refills!) to every guest, you are a Bad Hostess. And there is almost no worse insult to a Midwesterner than being labeled as a Bad Hostess. It's very akin to being ex-communicated. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

Still out on the west coast with DS2.  Our neighbor called yesterday that our dog wasn't feeling well; by the time she got her to the clinic she was critical and had to be euthanized.  Neighbor stayed with her . . . how do you thank someone for that?  We were with DS2, so I told him right away, then called DS1 to let him know.  GF2 was already here, and GF1 was home with DS1 soon after, so both boys had their wonderful SOs with them, and our dog had someone who loved her see her off.

Sorry to hear - that's sad! How fortunate that she had someone familiar with her during her last moments, and hopefully that she didn't suffer at the end.

Low key evening here - 

- Heated up some dinner for Little Man. 

- Helped Little Man tidy his toys. 

- Did a puzzle with Little Man. 

- Made dinner. 

- Did the bedtime routine with Little Man. 

Now husband and I are watching This Old House and putzing around on the internet. I should do a bit of office work tonight as well...

#76 of 133 Old 03-19-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:

Right? I'm notorious for it. Before any dinner party I panic and say "There won't be enough food!", whereupon DH rolls his eyes and says "There's always WAY too much food, you're insane!" and I say "No no, but this time there really really ISN'T enough food!" And then we eat leftovers for a week.

Today I:

-Made porridge

-Made a doctor's appointment

-Sent off a requested addition to DD's homeschool exemption application

-Visited the doctor and picked up a double dose of antidepressants and some melatonin, in the hopes that I will become Bouncy and Joyous

-Went on a large pre-freezer-cooking shopping mish with the kids to the bulk food store and supermarket

-Roasted a pumpkin and made spicy pumpkin soup

-Marinated and froze the lamb necks

-Put together and froze a bacon-olive-tomato chicken dish

-Made and froze 8 hamburger patties

-Marinated and froze some honey-soy-ginger chicken drumsticks

-Boiled up two chickens and got DH to de-meat them; put the meat in the fridge

-Added a ham hock to the boiled-chicken water to make a soup base

-Made nachos for dinner

-Made and froze lasagna meat

-Got DH to de-meat the ham hock; froze some of the meat and made some into white bean soup

-Made small batch of tomato soup

-Found bottles and containers to put the rest of the massive tins of kidney beans and chopped tomatoes into. I get why I bought the tomatoes, but WHY did I buy so many kidney beans? We barely even like kidney beans!

-Made two loaves of porridge bread and froze them

-Made up the boiled chicken meat into a casserole for tomorrow's guests

Aaaaand I still haven't made the pie for tomorrow's dessert yet. Or dealt with two packets of chicken thighs and three leftover neck chops. Nevertheless... BEDTIME.

#77 of 133 Old 03-19-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:

Oh Maria, I'm SO sorry.  This is your berner with her dish fears?  {{hugs}} to you.  I'm so glad someone could be with her.  :(

#78 of 133 Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 AM

I'm kind of tired today.  It is cold again and drizzly today.

Yesterday:

*Worked out at 6:30am

*Showered and all that jazz.

*Went to the chiropractor (son did an HTML lesson while I was gone)

*Home to help Trevor plan out his day.  Read Anne Frank to him for a while.

*Lunch already?  Made lunch.

*Helped him with math- we finally got our Life of Fred Books

*I studied, he DJ'd a bit

*Friend's 4 yr old here.  Son was a babysitter for the next 4 hours.  I studied some more.

*Picked up DD1's friend (and 4yr old's sister) at the bus stop

*Everyone here for a bit.  My friend (I should just start using names, this is confusing!) over to chat and she picked up her kids.

*Did some cookie money calculations for girl scouts

*Made beef stronganoff for dinner

*Read Call of the Wild to the girls (son read his own book in his room).

*Played some Laura Croft Tomb Raider game on Xbox with husband then fell asleep!

#79 of 133 Old 03-19-2014, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post

That's cute, how old is she?

She's 16 m and just doesn't stop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I ended up hitting the wall with work. Checked my work email and it was stuffed full of needless staff issues. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to show up at work, do their jobs, be nice and have decent attitudes. So I couldn't do anything else. I gave up in frustration, disgust and exhaustion. So instead, my evening looked like this - 

- Updated my resume. 
- Applied for a few jobs. 
- Loaded the dishwasher and started it. 

And I just realized that all the clean laundry is still sitting on our bed... so I guess I'll go deal with that and then head in with my book. I just need the feeling of perpetual stress and anxiety to go away...

Not cool about work. I hope you can get it lined out soon!

Quote:

Today DH and I slept in a little, went to a diner in the nearby village for breakfast, started packing for our return trip, and got on campus to meet up with "the kids."

- we hung out online and napped while the kids booted up and had some breakfast
- made a grocery list
- also made a what-to-mail-from-home list
- emailed back and forth with DS1
- took DS2 and GF2 grocery shopping . . . $188.00 and change! . . . someone really stocked up!
- back to their suite and did dinner prep; DH is cooking it up as I type

The rest of the evening is just hanging out.  We fly back home tomorrow.

I love reading accomplishments from those of you with younger children and realizing that it's all still the same eating-feelings-sleeping-eating-repeat-as-needed.  :-)

Sorry to hear that, losing a furry friend is hard.
And yes, babies will always need the same things! smile.gif

So my life is pretty "lather, rinse, repeat. " With the exception of a day of school because they had orthodontist appointments again, it's pretty typical. Hubby should be home sooner than usual today because they had him work ot the other day. They're trying not to have any till summer. Oh, think he's just in.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#80 of 133 Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Sorry to hear - that's sad! How fortunate that she had someone familiar with her during her last moments, and hopefully that she didn't suffer at the end.

Quote:

Oh Maria, I'm SO sorry.  This is your berner with her dish fears?  {{hugs}} to you.  I'm so glad someone could be with her.  :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

Sorry to hear that, losing a furry friend is hard.

Thank you so much.  Yes, my Berner-who-scared-herself-with-her-food-bowl.  Gave us nothing but happiness.  :)

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#81 of 133 Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Today DH and I crossed a continent!

- up and out the hotel room without forgetting anything important

- breakfast at the diner just as it opened

- drove to airport in SoCal traffic, I feel for people who have a daily commute in the area

- sat on the plane, finished a very welcome guilty-pleasure novel, and let the pilots do the heavy lifting

- drove home

- diced up some meat into an onion-and-mushroom mix my mother had prepared for us

- watched DH unpack while I got on the internet  :P

Tomorrow is the welcome-back round of laundry and reorganizing, plus filling a box of stuff DS2 asked us to send and starting to organize stuff to take to DS1.  For tonight, what's left is eating and then sleeping at home.  Ahhhhhh . . .

#82 of 133 Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

-Visited the doctor and picked up a double dose of antidepressants and some melatonin, in the hopes that I will become Bouncy and Joyous

Here's hoping, Smokering!

#83 of 133 Old 03-20-2014, 05:14 AM

Um, where are the days going?  It seems like I wake up, then it's time for bed.  heh

*Got up at 6:30am and worked out

*Husband and I went to see my therapist (not a marriage issue)

*Cleaned kitchen and did some housework yesterday- vacuuming, laundry.

*Read Anne Frank to son

*Did math with son

*Sat on the couch and read my textbook while son played with dog

*Fell asleep with son and dog on couch for a bit (oops!  My textbook really is interesting!)

*Studied more

*Browsed pinterest and discovered a UNICEF Climate change curriculum.  How timely.  Asked husband to print it at work since it was over 100 pages.

*Girlies home!  Took everyone to the library.. renewed some books, returned some books.

*Home to make dinner really quickly.

*Took son to DJ lesson while I studied some more.

*Watched Archer and went to bed.  I really should have worked but I was beat.

Oh, and because the badbordercolliemix has been fixed and is wearing the cone of shame, she has been completely cooped up and keyed up.  She spent literally all day yesterday carrying around her stuffed eggplant, which she is obsessed with, dropping it at my feet and, if I didn't throw it for her right away, she would howl, whine and paw at me until I tossed it for her. All.Day.Long.  :o

#84 of 133 Old 03-20-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

^^^  Hah!  You almost owed me a new keyboard!  They just don't know when to stop, do they?

Just starting on my backlog.  Mother already brought down two lists -- groceries and to-do -- and I've gotten mine under way as well.  Already entered our transactions from trip in electronic check register.  I've toyed with having it on laptop instead of desktop but would prefer both and haven't done my homework on how to do that.

Starting laundry now . . . I mean it, really. 

ETA, I actually did!

- washed and hung a load of laundry

- put the last of the odds and ends from our travels away

- built DS2 a care package

- went to post office, mailed package, got our held mail

- went to my mother's, cleared her driveway, took out recycling, brought back a few things for her

- called breeder about new puppy; she's been years between litters but is trying, and will also check with a colleague

- paid some bills online

- did some emailing for volunteer work I'm involved with

Have to throw dinner in a pan and make DH some lunches.

#85 of 133 Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:

-Got DH to de-meat the ham hock; froze some of the meat and made some into white bean soup

This mystifies me. How does one de-meat a ham hock? Every time I get one it just cooks into a weird gelatinous meat, with no real meat to speak of. Good flavor in soups, but no meat bits to cut off and add back in. Maybe we just get exceptionally poor quality ham hocks here? 

Today was a nice day after work. Work was... work. It could've been worse. Afterwards - 

- Stopped at Target. I heard an internet rumor that there were Thomas bedroom accessories on clearance, but alas, my location didn't have any marked down. But we did pick up six cans of veggies with my last two coupons ($0.47 each!) and we also found two Nalgene bottles at 50% off for $5 each, so we picked them up to encourage us to drink more water. I also found a package of Lego-shaped birthday candles at 70% for $0.86, so I picked those up since we're destined to have a Lego party at some point in our lives since we have a boy child. I also looked for dress pants for work, but didn't find any. Ended up being glad I didn't - 

- Went to Savers and found two pair of Ann Taylor slacks. One pair was $8 and the other was $10. Major score! Husband also found two pairs of Levis for $8 each. And we got two Sandra Boynton books for Little Man for $2. 

- Came home and played trains with Little Man for a little while.

- Did the bedtime routine with Little Man. 

- Tried on the pants again to make sure I liked them just as much at home - they're still perfect!

- Put away the shopping. 

- Looked through the mail. 

And now a little putzing around and reading. Husband is watching Magnum PI.... so yeah. 

#86 of 133 Old 03-20-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

DH and I just finished my mother's taxes.  Another load off.  Now I just have to do her state one, and that's really straightforward.

#87 of 133 Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 AM

Quote:
 This mystifies me. How does one de-meat a ham hock? Every time I get one it just cooks into a weird gelatinous meat, with no real meat to speak of. Good flavor in soups, but no meat bits to cut off and add back in. Maybe we just get exceptionally poor quality ham hocks here? 

Ah, sorry! On closer reflection, it was a bacon hock. Maybe those have more structural integrity? It's not like cubes of meat - it's sort of shreddy - but there are definite pieces.

Today I:

-Cleaned the kitchen

-Did some schoolwork with DD

-Put a few loads of washing on

-Packaged up and froze some white bean and pork soup

-Made and froze a double batch of chicken curry 

-Blended, packaged up and froze some tomato soup

-Made chicken stock

-Picked apples and pears with a friend

-Got involved, entirely unnecessarily, in a FB 'discussion' about vaccination

-Made white chocolate icecream (not frozen yet)

-Made a double batch of bread rolls for tomorrow

-Made a lamb ragu. I think. What is a ragu, anyway? This was a rich lamby, tomatoey sauce I made with the leftover lamb necks. It's for pasta. 

-Made and froze a double batch of chicken pot pie (minus the pastry top)

-Went for a short walk with DH and the kidlings

-Made boysenberry sauce

-Helped DH make dinner

-Had dinner with a friend over; watched The Blacklist and Breaking Bad

-Started making a baby bonnet

#88 of 133 Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 AM

Yay for slacks, Kitchensqueen!  I hate pants shopping. It's so difficult to find pants that fit well.  

Yesterday:

*Husband got up at 5am to go out of town for the day, waking me up.  I did not get up, though.

*"Slept" in a bit (really tossed and turned and contemplated getting up until 7) and got up and skipped working out today (sore from heath issues, sore from working out, too)

*Worked for a couple hours.

*Read more Anne Frank to son

*Had him help me clean house for a friend coming home- vacuumed, cleaned bedroom, cleaned bathrooms- finally!.  

*Cleaned catpoop out of the downstairs tub (*SIGH* At least they use the tub when they feel their litter needs a change?)

*Made chocolate cookies which were good but did not turn out like the picture.

*Had friend over.  I knew the mom, son was "re-meeting" her son.  He knew him from 1st grade, but that was so long ago neither of them remembered each other.  They had fun, though.  So yay for meeting homeschooling friends!  Friend and I chatted about perhaps starting a middle school boy social group (we have a tough time finding middle school boys in our area).

*She left, I tried to help son fix his music that has disappeared from itunes (oops.  :irked)

*Greeted girlies and went to park with DD2 and some moms and kids.

*Took all the kids to son's lax practice.  Son realized his gear was in husband's car.

*Luckily husband back in town 15 minutes into practice so he brought the gear to him.

*Husband picked up dinner and took girls home (it was COLD out on the field).

*I chatted with a friend at the field, shivered and watched son play.

*Came home, ate dinner.

*Posted a discussion board post for my class and responded to the required two people I need to respond to.

*Went to bed early (we were both up so early that we were exhausted!

#89 of 133 Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM

Meowmix, what is 'lax'? Lacrosse? I don't do sports...

Today is DH's birthday. Combined party with a friend of his. So I have to finish making the ice cream cake, make some pre-dinner nibbles, clean the house, take DD to music lessons and make fougasse. Oh, and finish the baby bonnet so I can put the sewing machine away; which I can do as soon as the ice cream maker's finished so I can plug in the iron. Should be doable. :)

#90 of 133 Old 03-21-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Ah, sorry! On closer reflection, it was a bacon hock. Maybe those have more structural integrity? It's not like cubes of meat - it's sort of shreddy - but there are definite pieces.

Hm, I'll have to look for one of those. I don't think I've ever seen one of those. 

Quote:

Yay for slacks, Kitchensqueen!  I hate pants shopping. It's so difficult to find pants that fit well.  

I hate it too, so I was excited to find two pairs!

Today, not so much. So far, just played with Little Man a bit and got dinner started. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page