The Homeless - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Can we do more? This has bothered me all night...yesterday I was in the city for an appointment..I was at the intersection waiting for a light to turn..There on the corner was an older gentleman probably in his late 50's or maybe 60's....he was holding a sign saying he needed help that he was homeless...all I had to give him was a sub,bag of chips and a bottle of water from Subway that I had just bought..He took it and said thank you until I pulled away..it was snowing hard and the temps were at about 15 and dropping...I cried and prayed for this man all the way home...I have done nothing but think about this poor Man all night..it breaks my heart and makes my stomach hurt to know he was cold last Night greensad.gif I wish we had more warm sleep centers for the homeless...
#2 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel you. I can't write much now but I definitely think we can do more!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/18/cnnheroes.burton/

i thought you might find this news article inspiring. its not the homeless issue but there are parallel issues like this going on all over the country.

doesnt mean your person was taken care of, but at least a lot of them are taken care of. 

of course it goes without question we are not doing enough. however there ARE people who are doing the best they can. 

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_24869274/oakland-artist-turns-trash-into-homes-homeless

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 9 Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I wonder if you could find out if there are any shelters and like in your area. Then you could donate whatever is on your heart.

Our church *never* locks its doors. We frequently have homeless people sleeping there. If someone suddenly showed up with donations of any kind it would be such a huge blessing!

Its hard for places that take them in but aren't necessarily shelters per se, because they have zero funding to work with.

Something that means the world to a homeless person and is a great way to involve your kids is making care packages for them. You get a large gallon sized ziploc back and stuff it. We usually hit up the travel size section of walmart so they each get a (mini) shampoo, body wash, bath scrubby, tooth paste, mouth wash, and deodorant. A reg size toothbrush, a comb, a new pair or two of socks, and a few energy bars or whatever snack items of your choice.
Springshowers likes this.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#5 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)

OP, are you thinking macro or micro?  I'm in northern New England, and our state has a Coalition to End Homelessness composed of many advocacy groups . . .  Overall, I'd say some programs and agencies help more than others.  DS1 sent me this link http://www.nationofchange.org/utah-ending-homelessness-giving-people-homes-1390056183 about an approach that does seem to be working.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#6 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Where I live there isnt anything but I live in a very rural small town way out..In the city yes there is shelters they can go to..I cant do much as my finances dont allow so I just do what I va when I can..

It just really bothered me...still does.. greensad.gif
#7 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
How sad for him. How nice you helped and most importantly didnt just turn yr back. There isnt a lot of true homelessness in my area but there is a small shelter and many people live day by day in slummy motels. I often think how sad it is that many hotels have rooms sitting empty but there are people sleeping on the street. Making care packages def helps, maybe carry around some blankets if you have any extra.
#8 of 9 Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post

Where I live there isnt anything but I live in a very rural small town way out..In the city yes there is shelters they can go to..I cant do much as my finances dont allow so I just do what I va when I can..

It just really bothered me...still does.. greensad.gif

what one of my friend's does is keep bottled water and cans of food (with a snap top like soda cans so you dont need a tin opener to open the tin) in the trunk of her car. she buys them when seh has a few extra pennies and always has something to pass out. soup cans, v8 juice. 

sometimes just giving a little thing - even if it doesnt change anything - really impacts our guilt. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 9 Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
IDK if your involved with a church, even if you're not you could bring it up or maybe write a letter to the editor of a local newspaper to start a soup kitchen type thing. The church might be willing to host it and then you just need to find at least 4 resturants to donate a meal to feed approximately 50 people (or whatever the need is) once a month. You can write receipts for the resturants so they can claim it on their taxes. And then once you've got all the logistics figured out start advertising it.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page